Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

thenextofken wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Well I guess I was wrong about Keith. He knows sports. How else could he name the Pirates when all he was given was Pittsburgh?
Didn't the clue also mention baseball? Pittsburgh+baseball kinda narrows it down.

Did anyone else say "three wise men" for "Magi?" I did and I counted it correct.
Yes, you don't have to be so big on sports to know the names of teams. Even, say, the UCLA Bruins, my only guess for FJ!

And yes, "three wise men" and "Magi" are synonymous.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

sarahbree wrote:
TeethWhitener wrote:
Dr. J wrote:But I have to know: did Alex linger a little longer over your handshake at the end of the game? If I find out that that wily Canuck has been two-timing me with another 7-time champ, I'm going to block his text messages from now on. I won't have it! ;)
We usually just sit around in our PJs and watch "How Green was My Valley" over and over...
BAAA HAAAAAA- you two re HI-larious, can't wait to see you both on T of C- though I am throwing my bets in with Teeth, we did after all get lost and drunk in LA together..
Well, now you can't leave us hanging like that! This is the bad part of taping on the last shoot day of one week, and then coming back for the first day of the next -- lots of missed opportunities for drunken debauchery. The possibilities from "Goodbye, Mr. Chips' alone are endless!

Today's FJ was a textbook in a misleading TOM. Not knowing precisely where the Hayward Fault was, I scanned my over-worked noggin for teams named Quakes.. Quakers.. Nixon was a Quaker... he went to Whittier... maybe it's Whittier!

Yeah, um, no. (Turns out Whittier is, of course, the Poets.) But I still like my answer better.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Not knowing precisely where the Hayward Fault was, I scanned my over-worked noggin for teams named Quakes.. Quakers
UPenn! :) (See my previous post.)
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

TeethWhitener wrote: We usually just sit around in our PJs and watch "How Green was My Valley" over and over...
Please tell me that you both have footie pajamas.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

davey wrote:And yes, "three wise men" and "Magi" are synonymous.
but what're they doin', creepin' about at night? Doesn't sound very wise to me...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Austin Powers wrote:PAGING DR HEIMLICH TO PAUL'S DRESSING ROOM never mind.

Shame such a choke job got bailed out by a weird final. I knew the Hayward Fault was associated with the SF Bay area so I went with Cal over Stanford. But since their nickname has nothing to do with quakes - except for the generic "California gets earthquakes" - it seems like a stupid, lazy question. I mean, really, it's like they had a somewhat guessable question that they felt the need to add a degree of difficulty to, so naturally only the girl gets it when it becomes about sports.

I agree with all of this except, uh, the "girl" part. I can't imagine anything in that clue that leads to a specific school. I mean, OK, I figured it was a California college, but which one of the scores of them???? It might help if you know that the Hayward Fault is "associated with the SF Bay area" (I did not, and I expect not many others do either, except those living near it). Even if you d know that, it comes down to "pick a school in the SF area." Horrible, horrible clue IMO, and an awful way for Keith to bow out.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Woof wrote:OK, I guess that I'll weigh in on this one. Having grown up in the penumbra of UC Berkeley, it was an instaget FJ for me, but how gettable was it? I thought that it was pretty widely disseminated knowledge that the Hayward fault, unlike the San Andreas, has gone well over 100 years without a significant earthquake on it and so is due for the Big One, which should wreak substantial chaos and destruction given the high population density along its length and that UC Berkeley lay near to it (the stadium, which is in nearby Strawberry Canyon, is the only part of the Cal campus on the fault -- the rest of it is just close by). And I guess that Hayward isn't that familiar a name, despite it being home to Sonny Barger and the Hell's Angels and all the notoriety they've received courtesy of Sons of Anarchy. The 1895 year isn't too helpful, since both USC and Stanford were around then, too (UCLA was around as California Normal School back then). I would think that most sports fans, had they narrowed the choice down to Cal, would be able to pull the Bears (which should be sufficient given that most of the student body calls them that) so really it boils down to geography.

Regarding game play: I was sure that Keith was going to pull a come from behind victory out there at the end after he hit that DD (and bet big -- very refreshing!) but that DJ did him in. We'll see how he does when the TOC rolls around.
Hells Angels.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Dr. J wrote:
TeethWhitener wrote: We usually just sit around in our PJs and watch "How Green was My Valley" over and over...
Please tell me that you both have footie pajamas.
Good Keith and Stephanie stories (about children).

At my viewing party for the October 18th game, a couple told me that their 8-year-old daughter had been watching the lead-up for a couple of weeks to my game, so got to see Dr. J's long run. When you lost, Stephanie, Iris apparently burst into tears! She wanted you to keep winning!

Last night, watching the last of Keith's run, my younger (Rex, 5) decided to do something else. My older (Ben, 8) is raring to be entered in the Kids Tournament. So we watch the episode up to the last thrilling moment. Rex comes in and says, "Did Keith win his 8th game?" I said, "No, sorry, he played well, but lost." Rex said something to the effect of, but now he won't have won more money than Stephanie!

I have Jeopardy fever in the house. At least two of the 25 million weekly viewers are now younger than 70.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote:
thenextofken wrote: Did anyone else say "three wise men" for "Magi?" I did and I counted it correct.
What about "Three Kings"? I was actually thinking of the movie with George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, and Ice Cube, but I might have gotten lucky and had them count it as correct. :lol:
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

For the FJ, I instantly said the Oregon Ducks and didn't give it a second thought. When I saw Hayward, I went right to their famous track stadium (Hayward Field), and although Oregon isn't known for earthquakes, I figured a fault in CA could easily run up to Oregon. Unfortunately, the track stadium is named after their former track coach, who just coincidentally had the same last name as the fault to the south.

I also said, "Who shot Dallas?" It was well before my time, but I'd heard of it from my mother. Just combined the question and the show...
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Oh, THANKS JEOPARDY! for the spoiler on who shot JR! I hadn't gotten around to watching that episode of Dallas.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

billy pilgrim wrote:Oh, THANKS JEOPARDY! for the spoiler on who shot JR! I hadn't gotten around to watching that episode of Dallas.
Don't worry, none of it was even real. It turned out that the entire series was taking place inside a snow globe, which was being held by an autistic child, who was in a hospital, which was being dreamed about by Patrick Duffy. In the finale he woke up in the shower, then got in bed with Bob Newhart, who may also have been Keyser Söze .

Or something like that, I sometimes get these things mixed up.

Rosebud.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jeff6286 wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:Oh, THANKS JEOPARDY! for the spoiler on who shot JR! I hadn't gotten around to watching that episode of Dallas.
Don't worry, none of it was even real. It turned out that the entire series was taking place inside a snow globe, which was being held by an autistic child, who was in a hospital, which was being dreamed about by Patrick Duffy. In the finale he woke up in the shower, then got in bed with Bob Newhart, who may also have been Keyser Söze .

Rosebud.
Rosebud's father was Darth Vader.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I'm not in agreement that this FJ was either particularly devious or difficult to parse. I'll admit I do have a thorough knowledge of California geography--still: first, fault lines should draw you to California. Although other states of course have them, J isn't going to throw fault lines in the body of a clue about any other state. Second, the SF-Oakland-Fremont metro area is among the top ten or so in the country, Hayward is among the top 175 or so cities in the country by pop and top 5 in Bay Area. Knowing Hayward is in Northern California is something akin to knowing Schenectady is upstate New York or Fort Myers is west coast Florida south of Tampa or Pensacola is northern Florida, or Springfield is central Illinois. That's just not that arcane. If you can get to Northern California, you have Stanford or Berkeley. San Jose State would be obscure and unlikely. Now there are two avenues to the correct response. If you have a thorough knowledge of the Bay Area, you know Hayward is East Bay, which leads away from Stanford; if you know Stanford changed its nickname in recent years, you're also on the way to Berkeley. An assumption the nickname itself must be seismic in nature should really be a momentary misdirection. Difficult, sure; outrageous, no.

With due props to all, I'm cutting shorter odds on Dr J than Mr Whitener in the TOC, as long as her low percentage on FJ does not persist. With the evidence we've seen of the rest of her knowledge base, it would seem to be anomalous. Also, her small DD bets will likely not persist in the TOC, especially after spending considerable time on this forum. Buzzer skills seem similar; it would be a pleasure to see them head to head.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

1972 is recent?

Anyway, my high school did the same thing. We were Indians (which made sense, since the school was named after an Indian). Some time after I left in 1972 they changed it to Red-tailed hawks (which are plentiful in the area). It didn't bother me since I hated high school anyway.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

It's recent compared to 1895.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

jeff6286 wrote:

Rosebud.
Do you remember a TV comedy from the late 80's called "Sledge Hammer". Police squad type of farce that got really bad ratings. The writers were sure it was going to be canceled, so they ended the first season with the main character trying to disarm a nuclear weapon and he sets it off. So, of course, the network picks up the show for another year.

They open season two with a disclaimer that the following episodes took place 5 years prior to the nuclear detonation.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:We were Indians (which made sense, since the school was named after an Indian).
Somebody named Gandhi, perhaps? Or Singh?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote: "Cal Berkeley Bears" I'd take, though.
My answer would have been "Cal Bears." Since they are commonly known by this name, I assume it would've been accepted.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

jeff6286 wrote:
davey wrote:
thenextofken wrote: Did anyone else say "three wise men" for "Magi?" I did and I counted it correct.
What about "Three Kings"? I was actually thinking of the movie with George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, and Ice Cube, but I might have gotten lucky and had them count it as correct. :lol:
I'd say yes to Three Kings.