Monday, November 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6471, 2012-11-05

Paul Nelson game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Bobbi Hiltibidal, a retired paralegal from Topeka, Kansas
Shari Dwoskin, a law student originally from Montreal, Canada
Paul Nelson, a Senate staff aide originally from Iowa City, Iowa (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm gonna start off today with a reminder, and that is that on Wednesday of this week, we will be presenting the start of our Teachers Tournament, featuring some of the brightest teachers from all over the country. You don't want to miss that. But before we get to that, we have to resolve today's game and tomorrow's game--today featuring a very bright champion in young Paul there. Shari and Bobbi, you've got your work cut out for you. I wish you all three good luck. And now, here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE FOREST (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FUNNYMEN (4/5)
D____A (5/5)
CLOSE TO YOU (4/4) (Alex: We're gonna list some places for you, and you have to tell which one is closest to us as we stand here today in Southern California.)
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS (4/5)
RHYME SCHEME (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Shari: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Paul: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Bobbi: 3 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bobbi found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Paul had no money, Shari was scoreless, and Bobbi was at $200. Bobbi wagered $1,000.

AROUND THE FOREST $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Costa Rica.) This topmost layer of vines, treetops & other plants preserves the forest's moisture & also provides a food supply for monkeys & smaller creatures, some of which never come down their whole lives

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Shari: $2,000
Paul: $1,400
Bobbi: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bobbi Hiltibidal is from Topeka, Kansas--a retired paralegal who has a number of claims to fame, including being a square-dance caller. And you started doing that at a young age, I am told.

Bobbi: Yes, I was in the 8th grade, and a--a caller thought that I would be good at it, so I gave it a try.

Alex: And do you still engage in that kind of activity?

Bobbi: Haven't done it for a long time, but if you'd like a demo... Allemande left, and here we go! Bow to your partner and do-si-do!

[Applause]

Alex: Do-si-do. Thank you.

Alex: Shari Dwoskin, a law student, originally from Montreal, Canada.

Shari: Yes.

Alex: And in your first year of law school, got a lucky break, I understand.

Shari: I did. I did. I go to Georgetown. I was fortunate enough to meet five of the nine Supreme Court justices in my first year. So, Justice Sotomayor came to speak with us, and then later I met justices Ginsberg, Scalia, Alito, and Kagan.

Alex: Wow. I just heard, quite by coincidence before coming out here a few moments ago--I was listening to a news channel, and they mentioned that Georgetown Law School graduates who go to work for big law firms earn $160,000 in their first year.

Shari: I certainly hope that's true.

[Laughter]

Alex: Paul Nelson. Now, you, like me, are--have Canadian parents.

Paul: Have Canadian parents.

Alex: But yours ran into problems with the U.S. government.

Paul: They did. I was born in Chicago, so I'm as American as they come. But my folks's visas expired when I was 7 years old. We had to leave the country.

Alex: Ooh.

Paul: We were kicked out.

Alex: Where did you wind up?

Paul: We went back to Ontario.

Alex: For how long?

Paul: Three months.

Alex: Three months. And then you're back, and you're okay.

Paul: Came back, kissed American soil. It's a beautiful thing.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AROUND THE FOREST $600: Birds & these creatures, which include flying foxes, are agents of pollination in tropical forests
(Shari: What are rodents?)

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1000: In "The Magic Flute" the music for Papageno's magic bells is performed on this German-named instrument
(Bobbi: What is a celeste?)

RHYME SCHEME $200: To smile radiantly

FUNNYMEN $600: Just months before his 2008 death, he recorded his 14th & last HBO stand-up special, "It's Bad for Ya"
(Alex: Minute to go now, Paul.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Shari: $7,000
Paul: $3,800
Bobbi: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEW YORK SENATORS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GHOST-POURRI (3/5)
AFRICA (5/5)
"A"DJECTIVES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BRITISH NOVELISTS (5/5)
WHAT'S CHASING YOU?! (2/5) (Alex: We'll give you the title of the motion picture. You tell us what kind of creature or thing is chasing you in that film.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paul: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Shari: 8 R, 2 W
Bobbi: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Paul snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Paul had $4,600, Shari had $11,800, and Bobbi was at $2,800. Paul wagered $4,000.

"A"DJECTIVES $1200: This 10-letter word means "greedy" & goes back to one of the 7 Deadly Sins

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Paul who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Paul had $9,800, Shari had $11,800, and Bobbi was at $3,200. Paul wagered $2,000.

NEW YORK SENATORS $1200: A New York senator from 1791 to 1797, he later presided over the Senate as vice president

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEW YORK SENATORS $2000: "Power, Pasta, and Politics" was this Brooklyn-born senator's account of his almost 20 years representing the Empire State

WHAT'S CHASING YOU?! $400: "30 Days of Night" & "Fright Night"

WHAT'S CHASING YOU?! $1600: "Night of the Lepus"
(Shari: What are wolves?)
(Paul: What is a werewolf?)
(Alex: A minute to go. Less than a minute now, Paul.)

WHAT'S CHASING YOU?! $2000: "Them!"

GHOST-POURRI $1600: For centuries this ghostly ship has been seen sailing around the Cape of Good Hope

GHOST-POURRI $2000: This beheaded fifth wife of Henry VIII haunts Hampton Court Palace; she's been heard shrieking Henry's name
(Shari: Who was Anne of Cleves?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Paul: $18,600
Shari: $11,000
Bobbi: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Paul: Wager $3,401 to cover Shari, but no more than $4,199 so as not to fall behind Bobbi's doubled score.
Shari: You have the hope of surpassing Paul if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,601 to force Paul to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Bobbi.
Bobbi: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Based on a 1926 play & real-life events, it's now the longest-running American musical in Broadway history

FINAL SCORES
Bobbi: $7,200 + $4,000 = $11,200 (What is Chicago?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Shari: $11,000 - $3,500 = $7,500 (What is Ren Rent) (3rd place: $1,000)
Paul: $18,600 - $3,400 = $15,200 (What is Les Miserables?) (2-day champion: $29,200)
(Alex: And about a year ago, it surpassed A Chorus Line as the longest-running American Broadway musical.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Paul: $15,000, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Shari: $11,000, 21 R, 4 W
Bobbi: $6,600, 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Shari: 21/58 = .362
Paul: 20/60 = .333
Bobbi: 9/59 = .153
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $800: Nothing says tropical vacation like this instrument

AROUND THE FOREST $1000: This forest dweller, also known as the ratel, does care to break into bees' nests to get the sweet stuff

FUNNYMEN $400: (Hi. I'm Danny Pudi from the hit comedy Community.) I was honored to be the first recipient of Marquette's scholarship honoring this late SNL comedian who died in 1997

CLOSE TO YOU $800: The Tropic of Cancer,
the Equator,
the Tropic of Capricorn
(Paul: What is the Equator?)

CLOSE TO YOU $1000: The Mariana Trench,
Hudson Bay,
the International Date Line
(Shari: What is the International Date Line?)

CLOSE TO YOU $600: Guam,
Iceland,
Jamaica
(Paul: What is Guam?)

FUNNYMEN $800: He toned down the funny for his role as singer James "Thunder" Early in "Dreamgirls"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

NEW YORK SENATORS $400: Later president, he was a New York senator from 1821 to 1828

AFRICA $400: For most of the 5th century, what is today this country was controlled by the Vandals

"A"DJECTIVES $2000: It means "characteristic of an uncle"
(Paul: Describing you, Alex.)

AFRICA $1200: What's now this country was united from many smaller chieftains by King Moshoeshoe I in the 1830s

WHAT'S CHASING YOU?! $800: "The Ghost and the Darkness"
(Alex: That should be in the AFRICA category.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
canopy
bats
a glockenspiel
to beam
George Carlin
avaricious
(Aaron) Burr
Alfonse d'Amato
vampires
big rabbits
giant ants
The Flying Dutchman
Catherine Howard
Chicago
steel drums
the honey badger
(Chris) Farley
the Tropic of Cancer
Hudson Bay
Jamaica
Eddie Murphy
Van Buren
Tunisia
avuncular
Lesotho
lions
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Broadway Musicals
Based on a 1926 play and real-life events, it's now the longest-running American musical in Broadway history.

Spoiler
What is Chicago? Shari said Rent; Paul said Les Miserables.
Paul Nelson: $18,600-$3,400=$15,200...now a 2-day champion with $29,200
Shari Dwoskin: $11.000-$3,500=$7,500
Bobbi Hiltibidal: $7,200+$4,000=$11,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

NBC stations on the East Coast who air J! at 7PM EST get preempted today because NBC is doing an hour long nightly news. Election coverage starts at 7PM tomorrow on NBC, CBS, and ABC, so no J! on most of the East Coast tomorrow.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Holy crap, was that humus/hummus clue obscure to me. I've heard of the food (although it being put on pitas was new to me), but not the other meaning.

Thought for sure I'd run Instruments, but I saw absolutely no TOM on $200 (and who ever heard of a horn being made of a tusk anyway?) and said cello instead of double bass on $600.

Didn't even bother guessing on FJ!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Oliphant sounds a little like elephant.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

legendneverdies wrote:Oliphant sounds a little like elephant.
But it's also a real last name, and it's not too well known that horns could've been made from tusks. Pretty opaque TOM if you ask me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had neevr heard of tusks being used for that but it seemed like a logical guess.

Went with Fiorello on FJ, thought maybe someone wrote a play about him back then, but was pretty sure it was wrong.

tonight shows why you need to know your Mrs. Tudors. If the lady in the middle gets that one right, she has third place locked out and wins the game if she bets correctly. If she stays clam, the leader has to bet where his score falls below third's doubled score aand third place wins with the proper wager. If third gets the last clue, she can win the game.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I loved FJ!, but I may be in the minority.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Oliphant sounds a little like elephant.
But it's also a real last name, and it's not too well known that horns could've been made from tusks. Pretty opaque TOM if you ask me.
I think everybody knows that horns could have been made from tusks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:I think everybody knows that horns could have been made from tusks.
Not me.

Also, who else knew "humus"?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

First time using the "Trebek" coryat toy thejeopardyfan directed me to! It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. 12800 in J!, 36000 overall. Half a dozen clams and 3 misses in total. Pretty easy boards. Oh, and one of the clams was "Hardy." definite "d'OH!" moment ("Thomas.. Thomas.... dang, he did Tess of the d'Urbervilles too!!") In fact I was tempted to consider it a miss since I'm pretty sure I'd've rung in on it before realizing I didn't really have it. But since no answer left my mouth, I called it a clam.
For final I tried to think of a musical that might've been written about an event from that long ago. All I could come up with was the Titanic, so my guess was The Unsinkable Molly Brown, even though from The Right Stuff I got the sense that musical debuted in the early 60's.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:I think everybody knows that horns could have been made from tusks.
Not me.

Also, who else knew "humus"?
I've known for a while that the forest thing and the Middle Eastern food thing sounded the same, but for some reason, during the game, I thought they were *similar* words (like, say, arrest and armrest) and it escaped my mind.

(Well, that and the kids were playing Wii right next to me, making me a bit distracted. I don't mind because a) the extra distractions make it a good simulation of Culver City, and b) I have something to blame any miss on. :) )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

In the 'Jeopardy Question No One Could Answer' thead two days ago, Volante wrote: I don't think 42% of the population at large could point to, oh, let's say, Tunisia on a map.
All right, fess up, Volante. Did you attend this taping, or do you have access to a time machine of some sort?

For the clue about the musical instrument called the oliphant, I simply imagined someone playing one outside the U.S. Embassy of Côte d'Ivoire, and tried to remember what kind of statue stands there.

Interesting that Alex said "interesting wager" about Paul's FJ et. Did he think it was interesting for the same reason I did, which was that Paul didn't add a dollar to his shutout wager, leaving open the possibility of Shari tying him if she bet it all and both were right? I thought Shari's wager was much more interesting, since she failed to bet enough to win the game even if she was right and Paul was wrong, assuming he made the MSB or something close to it. As mentioned by Bamaman, Shari's neg on the final clue in DJ was a nasty break for Bobbi, as it meant she was too far behind to win barring an unwise wager by Paul in DJ.

Yes, Alex, it was awfully generous of you to share with us that the "Rhyme Scheme" category was going to be words that rhyme with "scheme". It might have been a bit more benevolent of you to share that little tidbit before the first clue was revealed, but hey, it's your show. Avuncular, indeed.

I don't think I had ever heard of the word "avaricious", but I stumbled onto it the same way Paul did, by turning "avarice" into an adjective. I was able to count the letters a little faster and more quietly, but then again, I probably didn't have as many lights, cameras, or eyes on me as he did.

I was wondering for much of the game if this was the same Paul that we saw on Friday, but boy did he turn it on after hitting that first DD. I wonder if the categories in the J! round were really tough for him, or if Shari was just dominating on the buzzer most of the time? Whatever it was, once he got going he was awfully tough to stop, and Shari was probably fortunate to still be within 2/3rds of his score before her miss on clue #30.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

jeff6286 wrote:I don't think I had ever heard of the word "avaricious", but I stumbled onto it the same way Paul did, by turning "avarice" into an adjective. I was able to count the letters a little faster and more quietly, but then again, I probably didn't have as many lights, cameras, or eyes on me as he did.
Count me in the "never heard of the word avaricious, but figured it out" crowd.

The champ had a lot of trouble with that "which is closest?" category, including some poor misses. I could see mixing up the two tropics, but how do you choose the equator? That would put Oregon in the tropics. He bounced back in DJ, though.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:Interesting that Alex said "interesting wager" about Paul's FJ et. Did he think it was interesting for the same reason I did, which was that Paul didn't add a dollar to his shutout wager, leaving open the possibility of Shari tying him if she bet it all and both were right? I thought Shari's wager was much more interesting, since she failed to bet enough to win the game even if she was right and Paul was wrong, assuming he made the MSB or something close to it. As mentioned by Bamaman, Shari's neg on the final clue in DJ was a nasty break for Bobbi, as it meant she was too far behind to win barring an unwise wager by Paul in DJ.
Alex doesn't seem to understand basic wagering. In one recent episode (I think it was a recent repeat, perhaps a recent repeat from the 2011 ToC), second place made a bet that put her $1 ahead of the first place's pre-FJ score. Alex said "Interesting wager. I guess you're thinking [leader] didn't risk any money!" No, Alex, she bet that because if he got it wrong, no matter what he bet, she wins, and if he got it right, no matter what he bet (provided it's more than $2), he wins. It's what you were *supposed* to bet! But you rarely see a bet like that on the show nowadays, don't you? (Same bet Nancy Zerg made in her famous first game, btw.)
jeff6286 wrote:I was able to count the letters a little faster and more quietly, but then again, I probably didn't have as many lights, cameras, or eyes on me as he did.
Probably, but then, with the government increasing covert domestic surveillance and the like, there's a chance you may have had more cameras (or even eyes) on you than he did.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

soxfan99 wrote:I could see mixing up the two tropics, but how do you choose the equator?
I've found that if there are only two of something similar, I can NEVER keep them straight. Like which tropic is Capricorn and which one is Cancer. Or which Dakota has Mount Rushmore. Or which of my mom's friend's daughters is Christiana and which one is Ariana.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Paul Nelson: $18,600-$3,400=$15,200...now a 2-day champion with $29,200
Shari Dwoskin: $11.000-$3,500=$7,500
Bobbi Hiltibidal: $7,200+$4,000=$11,200
I didn't notice at the time Shari only bet to finish in second place at best. Herm Edwards would not be happy.

If Shari had clammed on the Henry VIII clue, she would have had $13,000 and Paul's MSB drops him to $11,200. Shari then could have made the MSB over third and would have $11,599 and would have won on a TS.

Even more interesting is if shari had randomly selected the right wife. That would give her $15,000. Paul's MSB would have dropped him to $7,199. Maybe he offered the tie because he thought she had gotten it right after all and didn't want to risk falling behind a zero bet by Bobbi.

Yes, it would have been nice if he'd let us know the words would rhyme with scheme. I knew it was beam, but for some reason I thought they were in the D___A category and was trying to think of a word that fit that pattern. But I guess after explaining two categories, he didn't have time to tell the rules for a third.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:I could see mixing up the two tropics, but how do you choose the equator?
I've found that if there are only two of something similar, I can NEVER keep them straight. Like which tropic is Capricorn and which one is Cancer. Or which Dakota has Mount Rushmore. Or which of my mom's friend's daughters is Christiana and which one is Ariana.
Cancer => north; Capricorn => south. Rushmore => South Dakota.

Now I am starting to worry about you Bobby. I never forget which girl is which.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This is a bit crude, but here is how I keep them straight.

If earth was a woman, the northern tropic line would be around her breasts. What type of cancer do we get beat over the head with constantly by everything being pink? Breast cancer.