Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6472, 2012-11-06

Paul Nelson game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Colin Bodels, a creative director and branding consultant from Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Jessica Lee, an immigration attorney from Evanston, Illinois
Paul Nelson, a Senate staff aide originally from Iowa City, Iowa (whose 2-day cash winnings total $29,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome. Big day for us. Whoever wins today gets to relax for two weeks because tomorrow we start the first of our quarterfinal games in our Teachers Tournament. Paul managed to squeak through yesterday. It was a little tough for him, but he had built up enough money in Double Jeopardy! so he didn't have to worry quite as much in the Final. Jessica and Colin, there's a lesson there. Perhaps you watched, and perhaps you learned something. Good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And now, the categories, which are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A YEAR IN THE LIFE (4/5)
"OO" WHAT'S THAT? (4/5)
LONG SONGS (3/5)
WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RUNNING (4/5)
WITH SCISSORS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paul: 16 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Colin: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jessica: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Paul found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Paul had $1,200, Jessica was scoreless, and Colin had nothing in the bank. Paul made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

WORLD CAPITAL ATTRACTIONS $800: The Copernicus Science Centre & The John Paul II Museum Collection

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Paul: $4,800
Colin: $1,400
Jessica: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I hope there's an interesting story that goes with this bit of information. Colin Bodels is from Pennsylvania, but you got stuck in Queen Elizabeth's personal elevator?

Colin: I did. I was in Edinburgh with a friend of mine who was special needs, and they needed to use the elevator, and the one that they normally use was out of order. So, they had to keep the tour moving. And we got to use her own personal elevator, which nobody was meant to use. Unfortunately, we got stuck in it for 25 minutes.

Alex: Aha.

[Colin chuckles.]

Alex: But her majesty was not around at the time?

Colin: She was not. She wouldn't have been amused, I'm sure.

[Laughter]

Alex: No, that's Queen Victoria, not Elizabeth.

Colin: I know.

Alex: Jessica Lee is an immigration attorney who was once a synchronized swimmer.

Jessica: That's right.

Alex: Does that mean you performed with a group of young ladies, or was it just you and a partner?

Jessica: Both. I did duets. I also did team routines with eight other girls. And it was a lot of fun.

Alex: What's the toughest part of being a synchronized swimmer?

Jessica: The toughest part is probably looking like you're having fun while holding your breath and kicking furiously underwater.

Alex: [Laughing] Okay, it's a bit of acting. All right.

Jessica: Yes.

Alex: Paul Nelson, Senate staff aide. A legislative correspondent in the U.S. Senate--

Paul: That's right.

Alex: --which means you do what?

Paul: We help draft the letters that we send back to constituents. So, we write them out. Senator or another staff member approves them, and then we send them back to the folks in Iowa.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"OO" WHAT'S THAT? $1000: These mountains in Idaho get their name from their jagged appearance

A YEAR IN THE LIFE $800: 1933:
This "Untouchable" is in charge of the Treasury Department's alcohol-tax unit

WITH SCISSORS $600: Most scissors are a pair of pivoting blades, connected by a screw, or one of these two-headed metal pins

WITH SCISSORS $1000: Finnish company Fiskars has sold over 1 billion pairs of the scissors introduced in 1967 with this color handle
(Paul: What is red?)
(Alex: I have a pair in my desk. [*].)

LONG SONGS $400: This 8-minute-long classic begins, "There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold"

RUNNING $200: An Ironman Triathlon is a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride & this run
(Colin: What is a half-marathon?)

LONG SONGS $1000: Set aside 17 minutes, baby, if you want to hear this Iron Butterfly hit in its entirety
(Alex: I can't recall it either.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Paul: $7,200
Colin: $2,400
Jessica: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY AWARDS (2/5)
GODLY EXPRESSIONS (2/5)
FOOD STUFF (4/5)
WE'VE GOT TO STOP MEETING LIKE THIS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIES: WHO PLAYED 'EM? (4/5)
"G", I LOVE SCIENCE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with that letter.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paul: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Colin: 5 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colin snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Paul had $10,800, Jessica had $2,400, and Colin was at $6,000. Colin wagered $2,000.

"G", I LOVE SCIENCE $2000: White Sands National Monument is actually an expanse of dunes of this mineral

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Paul who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Paul had $14,800, Jessica had $400, and Colin was at $9,600. Paul wagered $2,500.

WE'VE GOT TO STOP MEETING LIKE THIS $2000: An 18-minute brawl was caught on film during this 1968 meeting in Chicago
[Paul smiles as Alex reads the clue.]
(Alex: Why were you smiling so broadly on that one?)
(Paul: Chicago, Alex, it's my birth city.)
(Alex: I know, but you're too young to remember it.)
(Paul: It's true.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIES: WHO PLAYED 'EM? $1600: In 2002, Frida Kahlo

FOOD STUFF $2000: The New York Public Library exhibit "Lunch Hour NYC" includes a reassembled one of these beloved & once very modern dispensers
(Jessica: What is a vending machine?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Jessica: What is a sandwich vending machine?)

GODLY EXPRESSIONS $1600: In a theater, if your seats are in the gods, they're in this section

GODLY EXPRESSIONS $2000: Whether "Little" or not, "God's Acre" means one of these places

GODLY EXPRESSIONS $1200: Soldiers have long been advised to "Put your trust in God and keep" this "dry"
(Jessica: What are socks?)

LITERARY AWARDS $1200: Vincent Bugliosi won a 1975 Edgar Award for this book that was subtitled "The True Story of the Manson Murders"

LITERARY AWARDS $1600: A British sci-fi award named for this "Childhood's End" author consists of an engraved bookend

LITERARY AWARDS $2000: He won a Bram Stoker award for horror for "Lisey's Story" & also has a lifetime achievement award

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Paul: $18,100
Colin: $10,000
Jessica: $2,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Before we get to the Final, good news for Colin. It turns out members of the Algonquin Round Table were known as "the Vicious Circle", so his score moves up to $10,000. The Final Jeopardy! category is cabinet departments. And here is the clue, players.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CABINET DEPARTMENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Paul: Wager $1,901 to cover Colin, but no more than $14,099 so as not to fall behind Jessica's doubled score.
Colin: You have the hope of surpassing Paul if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,101 to force Paul to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $5,999 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jessica.
Jessica: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Si ve algo, diga algo" was part of a 2011 Spanish-language TV campaign by this Cabinet department

FINAL SCORES
Jessica: $2,000 + $1,900 = $3,900 (What is the Department of Homeland Security?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Colin: $10,000 - $8,200 = $1,800 (What is the Dept. of Health?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Paul: $18,100 - $1,900 = $16,200 (What is the Dep't of Commerce?) (3-day champion: $45,400)
(Alex: [To Jessica] Yes, "If you see something, say something.")
(Paul: [As his response is being revealed] I'm sorry, Janet!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Paul: $17,200, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Colin: $10,000, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jessica: $2,000, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Paul: 27/60 = .450
Colin: 10/59 = .169
Jessica: 9/58 = .155
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"OO" WHAT'S THAT? $800: It means to go gaga over something; you don't actually have to faint
(Colin: What is loopy?)

A YEAR IN THE LIFE $600: 1669:
This Englishman stops writing in his diary because of deteriorating vision
(Paul: Who is Shakespeare?)

"G", I LOVE SCIENCE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a diagram of an atomic nucleus.) After radioactive decay, when a nucleus is in a high-energy state, the particles of photons known as these rays are released

"G", I LOVE SCIENCE $1600: This feature of Jupiter is about 12,400 by 7,500 miles
(Colin: What is the Great Spot?)
(Alex: The Great...)
(Colin: ...Red Spot.)

FOOD STUFF $1200: During the 1928 presidential campaign, Republican ads promised this foodstuff
(Paul: What is chicken?... What is [*]?)

WE'VE GOT TO STOP MEETING LIKE THIS $400: In the 1920s & '30s this literary group that included Dorothy Parker met daily for lunch at a NYC hotel
(Colin: What is the Vicious Circle?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

LITERARY AWARDS $800: Brian Selznick won a 2008 Caldecott Medal for Illustration for his book "The Invention of" this French boy
(Paul: Who is Hugo?)
(Alex: Give me more. I need his full name.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Warsaw (Poland)
the Sawtooth Mountains
Eliot Ness
a rivet
orange
"Stairway To Heaven"
a marathon
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
gypsum
the Democratic National Convention
Salma Hayek
an automat
the balcony
a cemetery
your powder
Helter Skelter
Arthur C. Clarke
Stephen King
Homeland Security
swoon
Samuel Pepys
gamma rays
the Great Red Spot
a chicken in every pot
the Round Table at the Algonquin
Hugo Cabret
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Cabinet Departments
"Si ve algo, diga algo" was part of a 2011 Spanish-language TV campaign by this Cabinet department.

Spoiler
What is the Department of Homeland Security? Colin said Department of Health; Paul said Department of Commerce.

Paul Nelson: $18.100-$1,900=$16,200
Colin Bodels: $10.000-$8,200=$1,800
Jessica Lee: $2.000+$1,900=$3,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Just out of curiousity...how many markets will actually get to see today's episode? Are there any markets where J! doesn't air on a network affiliate?
I have a feeling KGO will just pre-empt today's show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Onairb wrote:Just out of curiousity...how many markets will actually get to see today's episode? Are there any markets where J! doesn't air on a network affiliate?
For those early viewers like debramc (in the Dallas are that gets it at 10ish in the morning) and myself (Minneapolis area that gets it at 430 in the afternoon) (both times Central), we're good. It'sa shame, really that J! is on at a prime time for being preempted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Check the post titled "For some unknown reason" if you are looking for a video of tonight's game.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

dhkendall wrote:
Onairb wrote:Just out of curiousity...how many markets will actually get to see today's episode? Are there any markets where J! doesn't air on a network affiliate?
For those early viewers like debramc (in the Dallas are that gets it at 10ish in the morning) and myself (Minneapolis area that gets it at 430 in the afternoon) (both times Central), we're good. It'sa shame, really that J! is on at a prime time for being preempted.
11am central here in DFW.
Yeah, I was actually dreading they'd break in with some "important" news about how voting is going or the like, but today went smoothly. Getting ready to start my archive entry so y'all can check there in 3 hours or so if you can't wait for a live recording. (Usually takes me less than 3 hours, but in case something goes wonky on me...) Personally I much prefer the actual recording for my first experience of a game. The archive is a wonderful and important resource for subsequent reference.
ETA: Archive is now up (without links).
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

At the top of the board in "running," I wasn't sure if they wanted "marathon" or the distance, given the rest of the clue; therefore I said "26.2" miles. I take it that at the least, Alex would given a "BMS" prompt.

In "Godly Expressions," for the 1600 clue I said "Nosebleed." Judges?

Found it strange that "Algonquin Roundtable was a top of the board clue in this game, whereas about a year ago (11-4-2011) it was an FJ in the TOC.
Last edited by thenextofken on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Glad I live in an early watching location. I spent half my workday speaking Spanish, then came home to a FJ! that used my bilingual abilities. If you understand the phrase it's hard to think of another department that would use it, even though it is kinda vague. I'm curious to hear how the monolingual Boardies dealt with this one.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The game has already been archived. Lot of triple stumpers in this one seems like.
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

I also don't know how I would've gotten FJ if I didn't know what the Spanish meant--would be interesting to see how many people on the board got it without knowing Spanish. (Or, people who would've gotten it if they did.)

On another note, Paul sure likes to take his sweet time when he's ahead, eh? Thought he paused as much as possible to run out the clock. Am I right, or am I crazy?

Surprised given his background he didn't just filibuster :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thenextofken wrote:In "Godly Expressions," for the 1600 clue I said "Nosebleed." Judges?
Nosebleeds aren't just the balcony (plus, I get the impression that "nosebleeds" are synonymous with "cheap seats", whereas "balcony" is not (more expensive). I'd say no.

SAotD: "Stairway to Heaven" and, especially, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
Alex Trebek wrote:I can't recall it either
:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $45,400, Paul moves into 18th place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
Last edited by Frank Hardy on Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:SAotD: "Stairway to Heaven" and, especially, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
Alex Trebek wrote:I can't recall it either
:o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
This. Completely!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think James should have gotten a BMS on the Bible clue.

No chance on FJ. I remembered the phrase after Alex explained it, but guessed Education in a coin flip with Labor.

Is Paul our own boardie goforthetie? I wonder which Senator he works for?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My NBC affilliate, WTHR in Indianapolis, almost always airs the show on their digital subchannel, which is usually a 24-hour weather station, when it is preempted by something that is scheduled in advance, and tonight was no exception. I never see anyone else mention something like this, so it seems that this station is in the minority. I don't know how many of their regular viewers know to look for the show there, but I for one am very appreciative of it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Is Paul our own boardie goforthetie?
Go for the tie indeed! Too bad Colin didn't take note of Paul's FJ bet on yesterday's show, or he might have bet it all and given himself the chance to be a co-champion had they both been correct. Hopefully now that he's done it two days in a row, players in the audience will have noticed, and could take advantage if Paul leads entering FJ in his next game. I am assuming that the usual 5 games would have been taped together, and that the shows airing on the Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday after the Teachers Tournament would have been taped immediately following tonight's show.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I don't speak Spanish and think there is something unfair about a FJ that is pretty much entirely reliant on knowing a foreign language with no secondary clues. And not even a famous phrase.
However, I took a wild guess that the phrase had something to do with Immigration and came up with Homeland Security.

Amazing number of easy triple stumpers tonight.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I take the subway, ====> EASY!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How on earth was Stairway to Heaven a TS? Or balcony?

Mostly easy food category, so of course they throw me for a loop with Automat.

I knew Yalta because I used to have a Hearts game on my Mac that had FDR/Stalin/Churchill as one of the preset opponents.
thenextofken wrote:Found it strange that "Algonquin Roundtable was a top of the board clue in this game, whereas about a year ago (11-4-2011) it was an FJ in the TOC.
Seconded. I knew what it was referring to, but couldn't pull the name out.

"If you see something, say something." See something, like someone setting up an act of terrorism. DHS it is, then. I do agree that this seems kinda unfair to those who don't speak Spanish.