Friday, November 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, November 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

11 right in the first round today with 6 right in DJ and I nailed FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Took a while for me to get FJ - figured right away it was Titanic and Hindenburg, but I thought the Hindenburg was a little earlier, 1933 or 1934 (I do remember the Nazi flag on the ship, however). It was the only thing I could think of in the time frame, but I still hadn't done the math. When I did, and it came out to 1937, I figured it was too late for the Hindenburg, but I had nothing else, so I put it in (although was open to the idea that my remembrance of the year of the tragedy was off).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Judges: "the ten percent" for "the tenth"? And "heaven" for "the afterlife"?
I kinda freaked out over the A Novel Idea clue. I e-mailed the store as well as the Lincoln newspaper's TV writer. The store already wrote back, and they already knew about the clue! :)
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

The leader with $19400 to second places $13400 might have been better off not wagering the expected regular game bet of $7401. $19400 historically usually would get a Wild Card spot(post-2001 current dollar values era), no?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I would have Roger Craig'd that Elemental Symbols DD, even if i was leading by 30k.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, those were some dreadful bets. Those teachers could have found a wealth of information here if only they'd checked before they went on.

SAotD was "cats". C'mon people!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Toughest boards of the three so far? 9800 in J! with a couple misses, but rallied in DJ to total 35,400.
FJ? Do the math and it becomes pretty evident pretty fast.
Seems like 13k is enough to get into the second round. Wonder of Robin made her best wager. (Not to mention, yikes... how does one not know what century the Chicago fire took place in?)
19,400 is certainly enough to move on!! Good thing she got it right.
thejeopardyfan wrote:Judges: "the ten percent" for "the tenth"?
Wasn't it a book title? If "yes" to my question, then "no" to yours. Sorry!
If it wasn't a book, then... I abstain!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Total goose eggs in Vietnam, Teacher Movies, and American Revolution.

IFC, Murder, and Nobelium denied me 5/5s in their categories, but I ran Colors with ease.

I had Titanic but "fire" had me thinking of a certain place catching fire, not a thing. All I could think of was San Francisco fire. Hindenburg never came to me.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I got Titanic right away, but struggled with the math for the other one. Finally I added 25 to 2012 and guessed the Hindenburg, but I don't know if I would have had time to write it down.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

I didn't watch tonight's show because I was working concessions this evening for a UVa. basketball game. I don't remember all the categories for that show, but I did watch it from the peanut gallery. I definitely remember my reaction when I saw the "element symbols" category. (Why couldn't TPTB have given me THAT category when I was playing Colby?!?) :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did anyone get caught guessing "Look Inside" for the Bookstore Amazon clue when all that was wanted was browsing?

I guess something or someone was speaking to me as I'm not sure why I knew to take a guess on the Shirley MacLaine stumper.

That was cool that Robin got the Robin Williams clue. It happens a few times a season that Alex calls on a person with the name of the correct response.

The FJ clue gave me two things to think about. Hindenburg or Hindenberg. I settled on the correct spelling. I also wondered if any player would botch their response with a Hindeburg. Players on the wildcard bubble had to be happy with Marion's sole solve. I was rooting for Robin since she got the response asking for the movie with Mr. Hand. Not long ago a clue asked for the movie's director. Someone on the writing staff has great taste in movies.

Paucle: It's a small sample but for me it's Wed - Fri =

45R/8W - 30600 Coryat - DDs 2/3 - FJ correct
41R/3W - 32200 Coryat - DDs 3/3 - FJ wrong
42R/3W - 34800 Coryat - DDs 2/3 - FJ correct
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

The FJ tonight for me was a half of Instaget. Knew 1912 was the sinking of the Titanic (also the founding of Fenway Park and the construction of my elementary school, St. Mary's Academy of Dover, N.H., how's that for trivial?)

Crashed and burned (heh) on the second clue. Best I could come up with was Smoky the Bear from a forest fire... ick.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Leander

Post by Leander »

FJ pretty close to an instaget since I had seen a story or two on the 75th anniversary of the fire.

I was wondering that the 2nd place wager was unecessarily high.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

ElendilPickle wrote:I got Titanic right away, but struggled with the math for the other one. Finally I added 25 to 2012 and guessed the Hindenburg, but I don't know if I would have had time to write it down.
Funny. I was the opposite. Got Hindenburg right away and then thought Ice? Hmm. Oh 1912- Titanic.
Btw I was OUTRAGED that Jeopardy! once again shows its conservative bias by bringing up the assertion of executive privelege regarding Operation Fast and Furious. I may or may not ever watch the show again. Seriously.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I precalled that the FJ would have something to do with the Hindenberg, and was actually expecting to be asked to name the location (Lakehurst). Wrong that, but needless to say I was pretty much loaded for bear when this clue was revealed.

As for wagering, I imagine that these contestants may not be the most knowledgeable about that aspect of the show, even if they are very good with the material. Chris was in a bad place IMO since I don't expect $7800 to be enough to move him to the semifinal round. I figure he had to go in large, and he did. Too bad for the miss. In Marian's position I think I would absolutely stand pat. If $19,400 doesn't make the next round, I'd be shocked. She had no reason to risk that.

Robin, what can I say? I believe I would have stood pat on $13,400 as well, and expect to move on to the semis. Her wager needlessly put her at risk and it gigged her. Too bad. Strangely, Diana North (from game 1) and her missing G are in a better position to move on than I would have guessed. She still has to hope for the non-winners of the last two games not to be strong contenders.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

To the person who PMed me about the ending credits: It was the short version going only down to McCarthy. You have the option checked for your account not to receive Private Messages.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Too much in the news on 100 years since titanic sank, that should have been a no-brainer for most. I would consider myself a history nut and on the second part, the first thing that popped into my head was the Nazi "night of broken glass" (amazing how a brain works). I'm thinking to obscure (and after looking it up, it was 1938), I just started running with big fire in the 1930's I got to the zepplin pretty quick.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ChemTeacher wrote:I didn't watch tonight's show because I was working concessions this evening for a UVa. basketball game. I don't remember all the categories for that show, but I did watch it from the peanut gallery. I definitely remember my reaction when I saw the "element symbols" category. (Why couldn't TPTB have given me THAT category when I was playing Colby?!?) :roll:
Refresh my memory. Does the winner of each quarterfinal keep their FJ dollars? Or does everyone get a flat fee? Is the flat fee greater for the winner? I'm trying to put a price on your regret here. ;)