Monday, November 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, November 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

I'm rooting for the brother.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

Don't look at this spoiler text until AFTER you watch the show...
Comments about my FJ answer:
Spoiler
I would just like to tell everyone I FORGOT ABOUT the fact that the word "DIED" was in the FJ clue!!! My initial reaction to the FJ category was to fill my head with people like Dante, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Joyce, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Hugo, Vargas Llosa, etc. you get the idea. Then the clue comes up and I'm staring at it, and I HAVE NO IDEA!! At the last moment, I put down my wild guess. After the music stopped, I realized my mistake and was so embarrassed. Which is worse? To have written no answer at all, or to have written an answer that makes no sense whatsoever? Oh well. Wish me luck in tomorrow's game. My apologies for my stupid response. I would have gotten the correct answer if the FJ from this game had been used!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

ChemTeacher wrote:Don't look at this spoiler text until AFTER you watch the show...
Spoiler
I would just like to tell everyone I FORGOT ABOUT the fact that the word "DIED" was in the FJ clue!!! My initial reaction to the FJ category was to fill my head with people like Dante, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Milton, Joyce, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Hugo, Vargas Llosa, etc. you get the idea. Then the clue comes up and I'm staring at it, and I HAVE NO IDEA!! At the last moment, I put down my wild guess. After the music stopped, I realized my mistake and was so embarrassed. Which is worse? To have written no answer at all, or to have written an answer that makes no sense whatsoever? Oh well. Wish me luck in tomorrow's game. My apologies for my stupid response. I would have gotten the correct answer if the FJ from this game had been used!
That was pretty clear from your reaction. I'm glad you had a sense of humor about it, and I say better to write something than nothing- at least you tried, even if you misread the clue. If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea the correct author was dead.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

lisa0012 wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote:Don't look at this spoiler text until AFTER you watch the show...
Spoiler
That was pretty clear from your reaction. I'm glad you had a sense of humor about it, and I say better to write something than nothing- at least you tried, even if you misread the clue. If it makes you feel any better, I had no idea the correct author was dead.
Ditto. Even before you said "she's not dead!!" you could see on your face that you just realized an important piece of the clue. Good job on the game overall, though!
I knew all the pertinent facts in this (well, not the exact sales figures, but close enough) and still couldn't get it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Yes, excellent job--it's easy to lose a bit of information in the heat of battle.

I'm wondering if ChemTeacher watched the Nov. 15 episode of the Big Bang Theory.

I'm rooting for ChemTeacher but would be happy to see any of the competitors win tomorrow.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Linear Gnome wrote:Yes, excellent job--it's easy to lose a bit of information in the heat of battle.
I'm wondering if ChemTeacher watched the Nov. 15 episode of the Big Bang Theory.
Me too. Although I've already forgotten which clue made me think that.
I'm rooting for ChemTeacher but would be happy to see any of the competitors win tomorrow.
Yes, I like them all too. Kate was my favorite of the ladies. And Colby, though quirky, is quite likeable, but I am rooting for Chem Teacher too!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Witty for $1000 — anyone wanna explain to me why the heck I should know "Firenze"? That clue seemed completely impenetrable.

TV CV deserved an explanation IMO. I had no idea what "CV" meant, so I didn't even know what $200 was asking for. I got Shalhoub only because I figured it was worth guessing upon being spotted Adrian Monk.

DJ! was just terrible for me. I had absolutely no idea on any of the spices; almost WAGged on cumin, but didn't think it would've been popular in Jesus' time or region. Mediterranean left me dry, the $400s were my only gets in Geology and Whittier, and Hough my only get in Celebrity Siblings.

2004 + European gave me nothing whatsoever. Didn't have a guess. Even when he said "popular trilogy and film" I was thinking Tolkien.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:2004 + European gave me nothing whatsoever. Didn't have a guess. Even when he said "popular trilogy and film" I was thinking Tolkien.
Right there with you on this one (except for the Tolkien part -- I knew he died in the '70s). Never, ever would have come up with the correct response, as I had no clue he was dead.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Witty for $1000 — anyone wanna explain to me why the heck I should know "Firenze"? That clue seemed completely impenetrable.
No reason. You know it or you don't.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Austin Powers wrote:I'm rooting for the brother.
So far, so good.

I thought this FJ was fairly sublime. I was thinking someone much older when the category was announced, but I pieced it together about 15 seconds in. I think the "e-book," implying that the guy was a modern phenom, was key.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Oh yeah ... 30+13? Really, Michael?

Not rooting for you any more .... ;)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Note to self, don't drink soda during Wittier Lines-esque categories. ;)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I also had no idea that Larsson was dead, let alone that those novels were published posthumously.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Austin Powers wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I'm rooting for the brother.
So far, so good.

I thought this FJ was fairly sublime. I was thinking someone much older when the category was announced, but I pieced it together about 15 seconds in. I think the "e-book," implying that the guy was a modern phenom, was key.
Right. It took me about 10 seconds, but I figured it had to be a guy who got hot right as the Kindle came out. Luckily, I also knew Larsson died right before the books became popular in the US. (And there are films for all the books, Alex. Unless I imagined seeing those Swedish movies.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

I got FJ! :D and I felt bad for Kate messing up the order of Ionian, Aegean, and Tyrrhenian Sea.

I was blanked big time in the herbs section but did guess Vanilla, ha.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Oh, sure, mention your daughters helping you prepare, Michael, but not JBoard or the Archive. Oughta ban your butt, damnit!

For FJ, I knew exactly who they were talking about and was trying to fetch the Swedish name and then finally I thought I had it -- Stigson. Yeah, that's it, Stigson, let's go with that. Uh, whoops ...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance on FJ. When he said it was a trilogy, I thought toilken, but didn't remmeber him dying that recently. Had no idea that guy had the Kindle record or that he was dead.

Michael.....Its 42, dumbass!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Spoiler
Me too! They should have added Contemporary or used Contemporary instead of European. I immediate went to a similar list of European Writers. Would you think they would have accepted, "Larsen" as that is how I thought it was spelled.

Too much of Amazon "suggestions" made that clue very easy for me. lol HA
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

alietr wrote:Oh, sure, mention your daughters helping you prepare, Michael, but not JBoard or the Archive. Oughta ban your butt, damnit!

For FJ, I knew exactly who they were talking about and was trying to fetch the Swedish name and then finally I thought I had it -- Stigson. Yeah, that's it, Stigson, let's go with that. Uh, whoops ...

You deserve a "like" to this post. :D