Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6485, 2012-11-23

Paul Nelson game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Amanda Lanyon-Lesage, a blogger from Madison, Wisconsin
Jake Ayres, a law student from San Diego, California
Paul Nelson, a Senate staff aide originally from Iowa City, Iowa (whose 5-day cash winnings total $48,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. It's post-turkey time, and the big question backstage is will Paul, our champion, win his sixth game in a row without coming up with the correct response in Final Jeopardy!? We're gonna find out in this half-hour. Jake and Amanda, good luck to you. And to you, too, Paul. All right, here we go--the Jeopardy! Round. And the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NFL (2/5)
MAGAZINES (4/5)
RAISE THE BRITANNIC! (3/5)
COLOR ME GOOD (5/5)
FRENCH EPONYMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
USING YOUR JEOP-PS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jake: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Paul: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Amanda: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Paul: $3,400
Jake: $2,800
Amanda: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amanda Lanyon-Lesage, from Madison, Wisconsin... is in a burlesque troupe.

Amanda: I am.

Alex: I want to hear about it.

Amanda: It's called Peach Pies Caburlesque, and we sort of combine cabaret--like singing and entertainment like that--with, like, a Gypsy Rose Lee kind of tease.

Alex: Whoa, wait a minute. Does that mean you disrobe a lot?

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: Oh. Where is your next performance?

[Laughter]

Amanda: Uh...

Alex: Don't answer! Don't answer. Don't answer.

Alex: Jake Ayres, law student from San Diego. And also, at one time, a tour driver at the San Diego Safari Park?

Jake: Yes, exactly.

Alex: And you engaged in cruelty to one of the beloved animals, didn't you?

Jake: I did. It was absolutely necessary.

Alex: Oh, it's always necessary to hurt the animals.

Jake: Yeah. Well, I don't think it was really hurt. But what happened was, we had ostriches in one of our enclosures. And ostriches don't stick their head in the sand, but they do sit down in front of your car if they get stressed out. So--and the only way to get them to move is to spray them with a hose. So I did that every single day over last year during the summer.

Alex: Obviously, the people at the zoo know that that's one gentle way of getting them to move, and they have the hoses on the truck, ready to go.

Jake: Exactly.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Paul Nelson is our champion. And, uh, you get to see the United States Senate in session, and the House, I suppose.

Paul: Yeah.

Alex: You're a Senate aide. But you're interested in visiting other palaces of democracy, like...

Paul: I've never been to England, Alex. I want to see the House of Commons.

Alex: You know it's a little different than our House of Representatives.

Paul: The "colour" and the "flavour" of the discussion--little different.

Alex: The -our instead of the American -or. I got it! I got it!

[Laughter]

Alex: I'm not that old!

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jake found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Paul had $3,400, Jake had $3,400, and Amanda was at $400. Jake wagered $1,500.

FRENCH EPONYMS $1000: In 1839 this Frenchman showed a way to create an image on a copper plate coated with silver; the process is named for him

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RAISE THE BRITANNIC! $200: Now lying in 400' of Mediterranean water, the mighty Britannic was the largest ship sunk during this 20th century war

RAISE THE BRITANNIC! $800: The ship sank in 55 minutes partly due to an ill-fated dash to try to make Kea, an island of this country

NFL $400: This ex-player was in the booth for ABC's "Monday Night Football" from 1971 to 1997

MAGAZINES $600: The name of this men's magazine is a synonym for "adage"

USING YOUR JEOP-PS $1000: (Sarah's voice reads the clue in a monotone fashion)
You have arrived at 89 E. 42nd St., this NYC landmark viewed by 150,000 at its 1913 opening; why are you here? You have a car!

NFL $800: In 33 seasons he won 347 games coaching the Colts & then the Dolphins, an average of 10.5 wins a season

NFL $1000: Billy Johnson, a great kick returner of the 1970s & 1980s, was known by this footwear nickname
(Paul: What is "Cleats"?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jake: $7,300
Paul: $3,200
Amanda: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AN "FL" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with those two letters.)
KNOWEST THOU THE OLD TESTAMENT? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (2/5)
DISTINCTIVE CREATURES (5/5)
ALLITERATION FOR THE PEOPLE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PAUL SIMON SAYS (1/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Paul: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Jake: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Amanda: 0 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Paul snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Paul had $5,600, Jake had $8,900, and Amanda was at $1,800. Paul wagered $3,500.

KNOWEST THOU THE OLD TESTAMENT? $2000: This woman is promised "eleven hundred pieces of silver" if she can uncover the secret of a certain gentleman
(Alex: Yes, the secret held by Samson--the strength from his hair.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Paul who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Paul had $16,300, Jake had $15,300, and Amanda was at $1,400. Paul wagered $1,000.

ALLITERATION FOR THE PEOPLE $1600: Missouri miscreant,
bank bandit, Ford finished
(Paul: Who is... [time signal sounds])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1200: In 1865 geologist William Barton Rogers founded this Bay State school specializing in the sciences
(Alex: And that school is [*].)

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $2000: The sports teams of ECU, this school, inspire the saying "You can't spell parties without pirates"
(Alex: And ECU is [*].)

COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $800: Ordained in 1943, Theodore M. Hesburgh was president of this university from 1982 to 1987
(Paul: What is Catholic?)
(Amanda: What is Brigham Young?)
[less than a minute to go]

PAUL SIMON SAYS $800: "What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? _____ _____ has left and gone away"
(Alex: [*] has left and gone away.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jake: $18,900
Paul: $14,100
Amanda: $600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIOGRAPHIES ABOUT AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jake: Wager $9,301 to cover Paul, but no more than $17,699 so as not to fall behind Amanda's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $8,101.
Paul: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,500 (martian), and you'll win the game if Jake wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Amanda: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Chapters in a biography on this author include "Declaring His Genius" and "A Late Victorian Love Affair"

FINAL SCORES
Amanda: $600 - $600 = $0 (Who is HP Lovecraft) (3rd place: $1,000)
Paul: $14,100 - $0 = $14,100 (Who is Dolly Parton) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jake: $18,900 + $9,301 = $28,201 (Who is Oscar Wilde?) (New champion: $28,201)
(Alex: I believe it was on a visit to North America when he was asked if he had anything to declare and he says, "I have nothing to declare but my genius.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jake: $18,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Paul: $13,600, 22 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Amanda: $600, 4 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Paul: 22/60 = .367
Jake: 20/59 = .339
Amanda: 4/58 = .069
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MAGAZINES $400: A magazine for active women says, "Be fit. Be fabulous. Be in" this, its 5-letter title
(Amanda: What is style?)

FRENCH EPONYMS $400: This addictive substance in tobacco was named for a French ambassador who sent leaves back home
(Alex: Yes. Jean Nicot.)

FRENCH EPONYMS $800: Mississippians say merci to the French botanist whose name is on this, their state tree
(Alex: Yes. Pierre Magnol was his name.)

USING YOUR JEOP-PS $200: (Sarah's voice reads the clue in a monotone fashion)
You have arrived at 6925 Hollywood Bl. at this theater; now go see if your hands are bigger than that dreamy Denzel's

USING YOUR JEOP-PS $400: (Sarah's voice reads the clue in a monotone fashion)
Turn right...you have arrived at 400 Broad St., this Seattle landmark; hit its 848 steps, if you think you can

USING YOUR JEOP-PS $800: (Sarah's voice reads the clue in a monotone fashion)
From Boylston St., turn right; you have arrived at 4 Yawkey Way at this site; say hi to Big Papi & have a wicked good time

USING YOUR JEOP-PS $600: (Sarah's voice reads the clue in a monotone fashion)
You have arrived at 50 West North Temple St. in Salt Lake City, home to this 3-word singing group
(Alex: And I believe that Sarah from our Clue Crew has a job in the future, should she ever decide to leave Jeopardy!)

DISTINCTIVE CREATURES $400: [Alex reads the clue immitating a bird] I'm a cackapo--cackapo! I'm this type of bird even though I can't talk or even fly

KNOWEST THOU THE OLD TESTAMENT? $400: In the King James version, the Lord tells Adam, this "thou art and unto" this "shalt thou return"
(Amanda: What is the earth?)

AN "FL" $800: They're the fashionable women of the Roaring '20s seen here--& don't say "floozies"

DISTINCTIVE CREATURES $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reads the clue underwater at Maui Ocean Center.) The hammerhead's unique look gives it room for more sense organs that detect biopotentials, tiny changes in this type of field given off by other organisms

ALLITERATION FOR THE PEOPLE $2000: Magnificent mime, silent sort, "bip" bopped
(Paul: Who is Charlie Chaplin?)

PAUL SIMON SAYS $400: "Still crazy after _____ _____ _____"
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Louis) Daguerre
World War I
Greece
Frank Gifford
Maxim
the Grand Central Terminal
Don Shula
Billy "White Shoes" Johnson
Delilah
Jesse James
MIT
East Carolina University
Notre Dame
Joltin' Joe
Oscar Wilde
shape
nicotine
the magnolia tree
the Chinese Theatre
the Space Needle
Fenway Park
the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
a parrot
dust
flappers
electrical
Marcel Marceau
All These Years
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 23, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CyrusChan »

Alliterative category was a joy! :D
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Paul would have won his sixth game without getting FJ! right on a triple stumper if the leader was wrong.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Missed most of this show due to travels, but got back in time to see FJ.

For me, FJ was an Instaget because of Oscar Wilde's genius declaration when coming through Customs, which has always stuck in my mind.

Felt bad for Amanda for being so far behind, but I had to smile and applaud at her FJ answer, as wrong as it was: H.P. Lovecraft, one of my favorite authors. Not sure if H.P. has ever been a clue on Jeopardy! Cthulhu rules!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

My shouts at the TV include the following:

Don Shula
Dust
MIT
East Carolina U.
Jesse James

There were a few more, but I can't remember them.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

ChemTeacher wrote:My shouts at the TV include the following:

Don Shula
Dust
MIT
East Carolina U.
Jesse James

There were a few more, but I can't remember them.
Didn't know Shula, but big yes to the rest.

No idea on FJ. WAGged Lewis Carroll.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was sure it was Dickens!

I agree with the list of surprising TSs although I'd have said Eastern Carolina U so that would have hurt. Odd interview with the burlesque dancer.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Congratulations to Jake on a nice win.

I didn't get FJ. I got stuck on Freud before I remembered the category; while he's not *not* an author, that's not what he's primarily known for. I'm not sure I would have gotten to Wilde even with enough time.

I didn't get ECU, but I did have the other four of ChemTeacher's shout-at-the-screens.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't know that part about Samson & Delilah. All I knew was Samson's hair. Didn't know anything about it being a secret, or money coming from it.

Anyone wanna tell me how the blue heck $400 was supposed to lead you to UCLA? I saw nothing in the clue that even hinted at California.

I usually do well in animal categories, but I overthought parrot, had no clue on the shark one, and thought the "drink water" jerboa clue was way too open ended.

No clue on FJ! I've seen Oscar Wilde pop up a few times, and it seems he has literally a different Pavlov every time.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Sorry to see you go, Paul. Certainly an AWESOME name. But congrats to the new champ! Nice win on the sole FJ get!

13000 in J! 19600 in DJ!, 32600 total. Nice recovery from yesterday.
FJ kept my streak going... with "Dickens." So, 2 in a "ROWng." :(

In J!, should've run Football, but my mouth said "Meredith" when my brain knew it was Gifford. Swept the two S&Ss at the end of the category (Shula, White Shoes)
Also slurped up "Maxim."
Couple misses though, Vogue instead of Shape and the aforementioned football one.

IN DJ,
Only clammed on "Joshua" in Old Testament!! :o Got the other four! :shock: If you gave me a choice between OT or pre-Cambrian Antarctica as a FJ category to hang my Jeopardy fate on, I'd have to mull it over.
Only got one of the animals (Parrot), usually a strong category for me. Clammed on the other 4 that would've been 2R2W if tried.

I know I would've run Paul Simon, dangit. Got all the alliterative people correct who were uncovered.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna tell me how the blue heck $400 was supposed to lead you to UCLA? I saw nothing in the clue that even hinted at California.
you missed the "Bruin" in the clue?
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No clue on FJ! I've seen Oscar Wilde pop up a few times, and it seems he has literally a different Pavlov every time.
I can't think of even a single clue that would be Pavlovian for Oscar Wilde. Maybe others can, but I don't know his career well enough.
davey

Post by davey »

As someone who thought the earlier, notorious FJ about Oscar Wilde's poetry was easy, I have to admit the Jeopardy! writers do seem to expect a close familiarity with Wilde's work and quips.
The "declaring his genius" line rang no bells until Alex's speech before the reveal and "late Victorian love affair" does nothing to express the special character of the relationship in question.
Charles Dickens, on the other hand, was not known for his modesty (though he may not have ever declared his genius, he did call himself "inimitable"). And a lot has been written in recent years about his affair with the actress Ellen Ternan (though in retrospect, since he died in 1870, it couldn't be called "late" Victorian.)
I thought Dickens was a safe guess...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Anyone wanna tell me how the blue heck $400 was supposed to lead you to UCLA? I saw nothing in the clue that even hinted at California.
you missed the "Bruin" in the clue?
Eeyup.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

While not denigrating Paul's accomplishment in the least, what is the lowest doubled total for a five-day champ? Those five six misses certainly didn't help him rack it up, to be sure. And Dolly Parton?!?!?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:While not denigrating Paul's accomplishment in the least, what is the lowest doubled total for a five-day champ? Those five six misses certainly didn't help him rack it up, to be sure. And Dolly Parton?!?!?
When Paul's response was revealed he said to Alex: "I just wanted to hear you say it", or something to that effect. Seeing as he wagered zero, he could definitely afford to give a joke response.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:In J!, should've run Football, but my mouth said "Meredith" when my brain knew it was Gifford.
Great minds think -- or don't think -- alike!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

alietr wrote:While not denigrating Paul's accomplishment in the least, what is the lowest doubled total for a five-day champ?
MarkBarrett posted this in yesterday's game thread:
MarkBarrett wrote:Three misses and he is a 5x champ. $54,900 is in the league with the old values of

Donald Burgo $26,180
J.J. Todor $29,021

For double values the closest are:
Mark Brown $68,094
Bob Mesko $68,599
Lisa Klink $70,150
Matt Kohlstedt $77,803
I will only add that you can put Christopher Short on the list, as his total after five games was $68,399.

ETA: That's "nyoo-duh-brangk", Alex.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

Some real headscratchers in tonight's game (just finished watching 7:00-7:30 p.m. PST in Los Angeles), such as East Carolina University (neg) and Paul not getting Marcel Marceau. As far as FJ, I can't understand guessing Dolly Parton, but oh well. I'm also sorry that Amanda achieved such a low score and wasn't able to be more competitive, but I enjoyed watching her on the show.

Sorry to see you go Paul (guess the power of the dimples finally ran out! :D ), but you were a real joy to watch on Jeopardy! these past 6 games; I sincerely hope to see you on the TOC next year! Jake, congratulations on becoming the new Jeopardy! champion!