Wednesday, November 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6488, 2012-11-28

CONTESTANTS
Todd Federman, a professor and education consultant from Livingston, New Jersey
Jason Shore, a medical student from Plano, Texas
Lucas Peterson, an actor originally from Oak Park, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $33,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Recently, we had a multiple winner on Jeopardy! who wound up winning a lot of money, and I believe over six games without ever coming up with a correct response in Final Jeopardy! Lucas has won two games without coming up with a correct response. I don't know if he wants to emulate that previous champion, but we'll get some idea today. Jason and Todd, good to have you with us. Pick up the signaling devices. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. And now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OAKLAND "B"s (3/5) (Alex: Not the Oakland A's.)
BEASTLY MOVIE TITLES (5/5)
A LIFE IN BRIEF (5/5)
MYTHOLOGICAL WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)
TUESDAYS (3/5)
WITH MAORI (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Lucas: 12 R, 5 W
Todd: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $2,000
Lucas: $1,800
Todd: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: With Todd Federman, the first player we introducedon our program today, I get to satisfy a little bit of curiosity. Um, when a member of the same family has appeared on Jeopardy! before, I don't know if it places extra pressure on you or less pressure. Your daughter, Meryl, who's seated in the audience right now, was our teen champion in 2007. More pressure for you?

Todd: Substantially less pressure because, as a parent, watching her compete up here, my heart was here the entire time. So, this is much less--much less nerve-racking.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jason Shore--medical student from Plano, Texas. We hear a lot about identity theft and the dangers of that these days on television, but you were a victim of a different kind of situation.

Jason: Right. It was my freshman year in college, and we all had our first names on the outside of our dorm rooms, and the person living next door to me was also named Jason. And he was wanted for failure to appear in court. When the police officer came by, she saw the "Jason" on my door and thought I was him. And I wasn't there at the time, but I came back to find a letter on my desk saying there's a warrant out for me.

Alex: How long did it take for you to clear it up?

Jason: A couple days.

Alex: Yeah?

Jason: I was pretty nervous during that whole time.

Alex: I'm sure you were.

Alex: Lucas Peterson is our champion. He is from Illinois, and you had a situation with a scorpion. I want to hear about it.

Lucas: I was in the Peace Corps in El Salvador, and we used to bathe--I used to bathe in the yard 'cause there was no running water. And I'd wear a little pair of shorts, and you'd always shake them out to make sure nothing had crawled up inside during the night. And one day I forgot. And I put them on, and there was a scorpion in my shorts. And it was the worst day of my life.

[Laughter]

Alex: We'll move on.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Lucas had $5,000, Jason had $4,000, and Todd was at $800. Jason wagered $1,000.

WITH MAORI $600: Seen before rugby games, a haka is one of these & is performed "so that the whole body should speak"
(Alex: Ceremonial [*], yes.
A war [*].)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE OAKLAND "B"s $200: In November 1936 it began carrying traffic between San Francisco & Oakland across the water it's named for
(Todd: Uh, what is the, um--San Francisco--what's the Golden Gate Bridge?)
(Lucas: What's the Bay? San Francisco Bay?)

THE OAKLAND "B"s $1000: Francis Smith, the 19th c. "king" of this mineral soap additive, helped build Oakland's streetcar system

TUESDAYS $600: In rhyme "Tuesday's child is full of" this

TUESDAYS $800: Every 4 years a politically important day is dubbed this; in 2012 it was March 6
(Lucas: What is, uh... Inauguration Day?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lucas: $5,000
Jason: $5,000
Todd: $800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ITALIAN ART (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE LANE! THE LANE! (3/5)
MORTAL MATTERS (5/5)
AMERICAN LITERATURE (5/5)
THE ERA OF ERAS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"TIC" "TAC" "TOE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Lucas: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Todd: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Lucas had $10,200, Jason had $18,200, and Todd was at $3,200. Jason wagered $2,000.

THE ERA OF ERAS $1600: In the 1890s this era of economic, political & social reform in the U.S. began moving forward, as it name says

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Lucas had $11,400, Jason had $19,400, and Todd was at $3,600. Jason wagered $3,500.

ITALIAN ART $1600: From the spring of 1508 until October 1512, he painted on a scaffold with his "beard turned up to heaven"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE LANE! THE LANE! $1600: In 2008 Diane Lane spent some "Nights in Rodanthe" with Paul, played by this leading man

THE ERA OF ERAS $2000: Trilobites lived throughout this era, from the Cambrian to Permian periods

ITALIAN ART $800: Tintoretto's "Miracle of St. Mark" was done for the Scuola di San Marco in this city protected by that saint
(Lucas: What is Rome?)
(Alex: Todd, you pick again with less than a minute to go now.)

THE LANE! THE LANE! $2000: "Oh, do you know the muffin man?" Well, in the kids' song, this street is where the man lives
(Jason: What is Cherry Lane?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $22,900 (lock game)
Lucas: $11,400
Todd: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COUNTRIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $99 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Lucas: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Todd: You've no hope of catching up... unless Lucas does something stupid. So risk $3,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It was created in the early 1700s from 2 counties purchased by an Austrian prince; he named the nation for his family

FINAL SCORES
Todd: $3,600 - $1,400 = $2,200 (What is Checkoslov[scribble]) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lucas: $11,400 - $11,400 = $0 (What is Switzerland? [with a drawing of the Swiss flag]) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jason: $22,900 - $22 = $22,878 (What is ?) (New champion: $22,878)
(Alex: And the country is still ruled by his descendants.)
(Alex: It was united by Prince Johann Adam [*], and that's the country.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $20,200, 23 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Lucas: $11,400, 19 R, 7 W
Todd: $3,600, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 23/61 = .377
Lucas: 19/58 = .328
Todd: 8/58 = .138
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE OAKLAND "B"s $400: In between stints as California's governor, he served 2 terms as Oakland's mayor
(Todd: Uh, who is, uh, Brown?)
(Alex: Which one?)

THE OAKLAND "B"s $600: What's now East Oakland was once a city called this, like a borough southeast of Manhattan
(Jason: What is the Bronx?)
(Lucas: What is Queens?)

MYTHOLOGICAL WORDS & PHRASES $400: An ocean sponge known for its lattice-like skeleton
is called this love goddess'
flower basket
(Lucas: Who is Aphrodite?)

WITH MAORI $400: Maori ceremonial cloaks called korowai are made with the feathers of a rare albino variety of this flightless bird
(Lucas: What's an emu?)

TUESDAYS $400: On "Black Tuesday", Oct. 29 of this year, the Dow Jones Industrial Average crashed & lost 23% of its value
(Alex: You're right,
with a minute to go.)

MORTAL MATTERS $800: A musical composition written for a mass for the dead; Mozart's is heard here
[Todd picks the first clue of the round.]

"TIC" "TAC" "TOE" $1200: To step lightly
(Todd: What is to toe?)

"TIC" "TAC" "TOE" $1600: Spectacles substitutes
[Lucas gave both listed responses.]

MORTAL MATTERS $400: This word for "burial" is sometimes confused with a similar word for forced confinement
(Todd: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Yeah, we'll give it to you. Yes.)

THE LANE! THE LANE! $800: Croydon Avenue & Dovedale Road intersect Penny Lane in this city
(Lucas: What's London?)

ITALIAN ART $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a painting on the monitor.) Caravaggio's "Deposition from the Cross" illustrates this technique that uses light & shadow to create 3-D effects; its name is from the Italian for "clear and dark"

CORRECT RESPONSES
a dance
the Bay Bridge
borax
grace
Super Tuesday
the Progressive Era
Michelangelo
Richard Gere
the Paleozoic Era
Venice
Drury Lane
Liechtenstein
Jerry Brown
Brooklyn
Venus
a kiwi
a requiem
tiptoe
contact lenses (contacts)
inter
Liverpool
chiaroscuro
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Re: [#6488] - Wednesday, November 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by debramc »

Since I'm here so early and even before jeff has the opportunity to post his regular post, I'll use spoilers.
Spoiler
What was Tom's response to the clue about another word for burial often confused with a word for incarceration (or something along those lines)? To me it sounded like intarp, but maybe my TV had a hiccup. Alex paused and then said "we'll give it to you" so I assume it wasn't what they were going for, which I assume was interment, often misspoken or even miswritten as internment. But Alex didn't actually say what they were going for (which I always find annoying.)
Also, I'm fairly surprised at the TS on FJ. Not so much that it wasn''t a triple get, but I really would have thought at least one of them would've studied their European geography recently enough to think of it. Curious to see how this one polls this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom read the clue without listening to Alex's pronunciation and misread counties as countries (especially given the category was countries) - in that case his response was not unreasonable. Note to future players (I'm sure ChemTeacher will back me up here) - always reread the FJ carefully, you may have missed something, and 30 seconds is plenty of time to make sure you understood what's being asked for!
All that being said, though, I liked Lucas a lot and am sad to see him go so soon. I also was mostly impressed with Jason, especially his wagering.
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

Oh, I didn't realize this place had spoilers. Cool.
Spoiler
Yikes, did not do well before the break. Just five right. That movie category was rough — never heard of any of them.

Almost cleared the myth category but got Persephone and Penelope mixed up. Overall, redeemed myself a little in the second half.

Attack as the $2,000 answer? Was that supposed to be hard because you overthink it?

Anyone else surprised by how much they know about death?

Jason could've done better on the DD wagers, although it all worked out in the end. Only betting $1,000 on that first one? This could've been a runaway even before the last clue.

Lichtenstein (really hard to spell) was an instaget. Had a little bit of doubt, but I couldn't really think of another super-small country in that area of Europe. Malta and Monaco didn't make sense. Switzerland is, of course, too big, and I believe it was formed as a military alliance between eight or nine cantons.

Sad to see Lucas leave, as he does have some pretty great stories. My uncle has a similar one about the Peace Corps and bathing, although I believe his involves a spider.
What was Tom's response to the clue about another word for burial often confused with a word for incarceration (or something along those lines)? To me it sounded like intarp, but maybe my TV had a hiccup. Alex paused and then said "we'll give it to you" so I assume it wasn't what they were going for, which I assume was interment, often misspoken or even miswritten as internment. But Alex didn't actually say what they were going for (which I always find annoying.)
I believe he said inter. I think they were going for internment.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Insta-get FJ, but wondering if anyone who did get it spelled it correctly? (Since it was a TS, can't check with the contestants, but that was my anticipation once I figured it out)

Judges: For the last clue in the J! round (Maori $600, the DD), what was given was "[war] dance". I said "war chant". Credit?

And, for those of you who have not had the great pleasure of seeing a haka, here is one: (Yes, I'm making you sit (or stand) through the New Zealand anthem first, but if you absolutely insist on making me cry :cry: , you can skip to 1:47 for the haka.) I have friends both in New Zealand and ex-pat Kiwi friends here in Winnipeg, both of which who love the haka.

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

what is Queens?
rotflmao
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Looks as though NBC stations on the East coast, or at least some, may be airing Christmas in Rockefeller Center, which COmcast program guide has scheduled from 8-9PM EST, at 7PM EST. Meaning no J! and or WOF for those East Coasters, or at least some, who get the show between 7-8PM EST on NBC stations. NBC.com has the special starting at 8PM/7PM Central.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh! Not the B's! Not the B's!

"Bay Bridge" was a nasty clue IMO. So easy to get lured to Golden Gate even when spotted the B. Also, its full name isn't "Bay Bridge" but "‪San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge‬", meaning that the actual name doesn't fit the category. Finally, has anyone outside the Bay Area even heard of that bridge?!

Anyone wanna post the "inter" clue (Mortal for $400)? I had no idea what they were asking for there.

Overall, this was yet another game where I just couldn't get it going. Nothing even felt like "oh yeah, I knew that" except Michelangelo (whom I always get mixed up with Da Vinci for some reason). Everything just seemed to be outside my wheelhouse, except "Tic Tac Toe".

Blah blah blah no guess on FJ!
tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 »

Michelangelo way overvalued at $1600 in Italian Art, IMHO.
tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 »

debramc wrote:
Spoiler
I never like the times when Alex hesitates before accepting or rejecting a contestant's response. A long pause notifies the other contestants that the question provided was almost correct but that something was not quite right and thus gives them extra time to think of related material. If there's any doubt, Alex should reject the answer and allow the judges to make a correction later in the show, as occasionally happens.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A long pause by Alex also frequently indicates there was a stoppage in play at that point. I'm not sure what the problem with inter was, but they definitely should have taken it.

I definitely gave myself a pat on the back for getting FJ right. It took a bit of searching, but relatively new country -> Austria wasn't very colonial, so probably in Europe -> near Austria -> Liechtenstein. I did use up most of the 30 seconds, though.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Interesting game that started out reaalllllyyyy slow... and it seemed the "B" category was a killer.

Felt sorry for Tom, playing in front of his champ daughter and losing. SInce I'm from N.H., I was by myself at my two shows, and I felt the better for it. Having friends or family in the audience I think would have given me more pressure than I needed... though your mileage may vary.
dhkendall wrote:
Judges: For the last clue in the J! round (Maori $600, the DD), what was given was "[war] dance". I said "war chant". Credit?
Excellent point. I also said war chant, and I think it should have gotten credit as well.

FJ was a round-about Instaget for me, because as others have pointed out, I misread the FJ clue and thought it was "two countries," not "two counties." I literally started thinking about the New World and all that, until I re-read and saw it was counties. Thought counties was a fairly small geographical area, thought what was a small country in Europe, and got Lichenstein (or however you spelt it.)

Also thought I had spotted a controversy that turned out not to be a controversy. I thought "counties" was an Anglo-Saxon construct, and that the correct term should be "cantons" or something similar (sort of like the Great Lexington Town/City Controversy of late memory) but no, Wikipedia corrected me.

Congrats to Jason.

[[Edited to fix two names that I had wrong... d'oh! That's what you get for writing faster than you're thinking...]]
Last edited by BADuBois on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Geography FJ's usually have me breaking out in a cold sweat, but I was able to intuit this one fairly easy. "OK, I need a country near Austria...Lichtenstein? Sounds suitably German, can't think of any other countries in the area that sound like they would fit... done!"
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Swang and missed with Luxembourg in Final Jeopardy, putting me at 0 for 3 this week. I wasn't paying much attention to how well I was doing today, but I actually said "Golden Gate Bridge" for the B category, too.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Instaget of all instagets for FJ. Named after the ruling family? Pretty sure that means one of two countries, and Saudi Arabia ain't in Europe. Also 2 counties means small, and then the Austria TOM just drives it home even further.

Good win by Jason and very slick DD wager there at the end.
dhkendall wrote:Insta-get FJ, but wondering if anyone who did get it spelled it correctly? (Since it was a TS, can't check with the contestants, but that was my anticipation once I figured it out)

I really want to say no here, because the physical moves seem to be a critical part of it, but wiki includes "war cry" as one of its descriptions, so I'd say probably yes.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh! Not the B's! Not the B's!

"Bay Bridge" was a nasty clue IMO. So easy to get lured to Golden Gate even when spotted the B. Also, its full name isn't "Bay Bridge" but "‪San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge‬", meaning that the actual name doesn't fit the category. Finally, has anyone outside the Bay Area even heard of that bridge?!
Just no, all around. I refuse to consider as negbait a bridge which not only is nowhere near Oakland, but most importantly, doesn't start with B! No excuse for that one, Todd (Ditto Queens). I admit it's only the 2nd most famous Bay Area bridge, but it's hardly obscure.
Last edited by marpocky on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

dhkendall wrote:Insta-get FJ, but wondering if anyone who did get it spelled it correctly? (Since it was a TS, can't check with the contestants, but that was my anticipation once I figured it out)
This piqued my interest since I guessed at the spelling and still had my answer available on Windows Notepad. I ran a spell check and it passed! Then I discovered it was because I spelled the pop artist's name precisely, missing the hard to remember additional "e" in the country name.
Last edited by Snaxx on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

marpocky wrote:Named after the ruling family? Pretty sure that means one of two countries, and Saudi Arabia ain't in Europe.
The name Saudi Arabia is also much too recent, which is how I knew that that was wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: For the last clue in the J! round (Maori $600, the DD), what was given was "[war] dance". I said "war chant". Credit?
Absolutely. It can be a dance, a chant, or most likely both.
And, for those of you who have not had the great pleasure of seeing a haka, here is one: (Yes, I'm making you sit (or stand) through the New Zealand anthem first, but if you absolutely insist on making me cry :cry: , you can skip to 1:47 for the haka.) I have friends both in New Zealand and ex-pat Kiwi friends here in Winnipeg, both of which who love the haka.
I love the All Blacks, so I've seen many a haka. That one is one of more tamer ones, though. I like the ones where they give the facial expressions, like this one:

Queens ... yeah ...

The words were "interment" and "internment", so I'm OK with "inter" for "intern".

My 50/50/90 came down on the right side, as I was guessing between Luxembourg and Lichtenstein (so yes, David, I spelled it correctly :) ).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Bay Bridge" was a nasty clue IMO. So easy to get lured to Golden Gate even when spotted the B.
Not at all. They asked about the body of water it crossed. It ain't the Golden Gate Bay. Also, there was no requirement that the correct response start with a "B" (Jerry Brown). And yes, I had heard it called the Bay Bridge long before I visited SF this year.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote:I love the All Blacks, so I've seen many a haka. That one is one of more tamer ones, though. I like the ones where they give the facial expressions, like this one:

Then there's this one: