Thursday, November 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6489, 2012-11-29

CONTESTANTS
Scott Vinick, an information technology consultant from Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Cara Harley, a medical writer from Charlestown, Massachusetts
Jason Shore, a medical student from Plano, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,878)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. We've been on a great roll in the last few weeks. We've had a series of young, very bright champions. Case in point--our current champion, Jason, who's just 25. And Cara and Scott look very young, also. Of course, from where I stand, everybody looks young.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, good to have you here. Good luck. Here we go, the Jeopardy! Round. And here come your categories. First off, you're gonna have to deal with this...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHERE AM I? (4/5)
RANDOMONIUM (4/5)
QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GAME SHOW NAMES IN OTHER COUNTRIES (5/5) (Alex: That sounds like fun.)
ALL ABOUT ACTING (5/5)
PICK UP YOUR "CUE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 16 R, 1 W
Cara: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Scott: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $3,600
Cara: $2,000
Scott: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Scott Vinick is from Sagamore Hills, Ohio, and his grandfather, it says here, was a guard for a very famous royal personage.

Scott: Yes, he was one of the personal palace guards for Czar Nicholas II.

Alex: Kind of a failure, though, wasn't he?

Scott: Well, not my grandfather, but his boss got fired, and so he had to leave the country in a hurry.

Alex: Well, your great-grandfather didn't do a good job of protecting him, 'cause we all know what happened to Czar Nicholas.

Scott: [Chuckles] Right.

Alex: I'm sorry. I'm just kidding you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Sticking it to you.

Alex: Cara Harley--medical writer from Charlestown, Massachusetts. I want to know about your collection, though.

Cara: I--

Alex: Nail polish.

Cara: Yes, I have over 250 bottles, at last count, of nail polish, which I have organized into a nice spreadsheet so I know what I have and where they all live and what color everything is.

Alex: But do they last that long? Because nail polish has an acetone base, I believe, and it'll dry up and harden over time.

Cara: Well, if you keep it really, um, closed off, it's pretty easy to keep it good. And they sell this, um--I'm sure it's some sort of horrible toxic chemical, but it's sold under the nail polish restoration. You just put some of that in and shake it up, and, uh, the nail polish looks great. Whether it gives you cancer, I don't know.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Wite-Out for the nails.

Alex: Jason Shore is a medical student who is also a second lieutenant in the...

Jason: United States Air Force reserve.

Alex: Are they paying for your medical schooling?

Jason: They are.

Alex: And when you get your medical degree, you will have to serve in the military for how long?

Jason: I'll do my residency for them and then another three years, at least, on top of that.

Alex: It's a good deal, though, isn't it?

Jason: Yes, it is.

Alex: All right. You bet.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cara found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Jason had $4,800, Cara had $3,000, and Scott had a deficit with -$800. Cara wagered $1,200.

QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE $600: An official song for the jubilee was co-written by this musical theatre mogul who was knighted in 1992

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RANDOMONIUM $400: These 2 objects used in men's field events each weigh 16 pounds
(Scott: What is the shot put and discus?)
(Cara: What is javelin and discus?)

WHERE AM I? $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue..)
I'm at the Maeslant Storm Surge Barrier, designed to protect the harbor of this Dutch port with the world's largest capacity
(Scott: What is Amsterdam?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $9,800
Cara: $6,200
Scott: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NATURE BOY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ON THE BROADWAY DINER MENU (3/3)
THE PRESIDENT IS DEAD (4/5)
UN-AMERICAN ACTIVITIES (4/5)
CHAPTER 13 (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: But of what novel?)
IT'S "OVER"! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cara: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Scott: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jason: 8 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Jason had $11,000, Cara had $13,800, and Scott was at $4,000. Scott wagered $1,500.

NATURE BOY $1200: The yellow-rumped warbler is also known as this artist's warbler
(Alex: Yes. Think of an artist closely associated with birds.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Jason had $13,400, Cara had $13,800, and Scott was at $5,500. Jason wagered $2,600.

CHAPTER 13 $1200: "The route taken by Hawk-eye lay across those sandy plains"
(Jason: What is The Grapes of Wrath?)
(Alex: James Fenimore Cooper's [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PRESIDENT IS DEAD $1200: June 1, 1868 near Lancaster, Pennsylvania
(Alex: And that would be "buck", [*].)

UN-AMERICAN ACTIVITIES $2000: In Toronto, go to the Annandale Club for curling; in Dublin, to Croke Park for this similar-sounding sport
(Jason: What is croquet?)
(Alex: It's not curling. It's [*].
H-u-r.)

CHAPTER 13 $1600: "Overcome by melancholy, Jesus lay down on the ancient marble"

CHAPTER 13 $2000: "Anyone who did not want to settle in the Salinas Valley was crazy. Adam did not rush at his purchase"
(Alex: And the novel is [*]--Adam Trask.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Cara: $17,000
Jason: $11,200
Scott: $4,300

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGIOUS SYMBOLS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Cara: Wager $5,401 to cover Jason, but no more than $8,399 so as not to fall behind Scott's doubled score.
Jason: You have the hope of surpassing Cara if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Cara to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $2,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Scott.
Scott: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The rooster atop many church weather vanes is there to remind us of a story involving this apostle

FINAL SCORES
Scott: $4,300 - $1,200 = $3,100 (Who is Paul?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jason: $11,200 + $11,122 = $22,322 (Who was Peter?) (2-day champion: $45,200)
Cara: $17,000 - $6,000 = $11,000 (Who is Paul?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: Jesus said to him, "Before the cock crows, you will deny me three times.")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Cara: $16,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jason: $13,800, 24 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: $4,000, 9 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 25/59 = .424
Cara: 18/59 = .305
Scott: 9/59 = .153
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PICK UP YOUR "CUE" $1000: Hardy grass cultivated for lawns & sheep feed
(Alex: Well done. You ran the category right off the bat.)
[Applause]
(Alex: You got $3,000 to show for it. Good for you.)

WHERE AM I? $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) I'm on this archipelago 600 miles west of Ecuador, whose isolation accounts for the uniqueness of the wildlife

RANDOMONIUM $800: One of the 4 board games invented in the 20th century that are in the national toy hall of fame
(Alex: [*] is one of them. [*] are the three others.)

QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE $200: Jubilee festivities kicked off with a this many gun salute from the Tower of London, 41 more than a normal salute
(Jason: What is 60?)

QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE $400: He's been Elizabeth's Prince Charming since they met when she was 13; she married him at 21

WHERE AM I? $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue..) I'm 1,380 feet below sea level, but I'm on dry land, so I'm next to this body of water

WHERE AM I? $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue..) I'm in Ushuaia, renowned as the southernmost city in the world; it's the capital of this Argentinean province with a fiery name

WHERE AM I? $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue..) I'm in Petra, the ancient city of an Arab tribe called the Nabataeans, so I'm in one of this country's most popular tourist sites

QUEEN ELIZABETH'S DIAMOND JUBILEE $800: Here Elizabeth shares a little private time with her father, this king, whom she succeeded in 1952

THE PRESIDENT IS DEAD $1600: January 6, 1919 in Oyster Bay, New York
(Jason: Who is Wilson?)

ON THE BROADWAY DINER MENU $400: If you're trying to make the "medicine go down" in Disney's "Mary Poppins", you'll need this title sweet
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

NATURE BOY $2000: This naturalist has many natural wonders named for him, including a stand of redwoods near San Francisco
[Scott rang in but gave no response]
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Andrew Lloyd Webber
the shot put and the hammer
Rotterdam
Audubon
The Last of the Mohicans
(James) Buchanan
hurling
The Last Temptation of Christ
East of Eden
Peter
fescue
the Galápagos
Monopoly (or Scrabble or Game of Life or Candyland)
Prince Philip
The Dead Sea
Tierra del Fuego
Jordan
King George VI
Teddy Roosevelt
a spoonful of sugar
(John) Muir
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: [#6489] - Thursday, November 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JFanForever »

Had my best game yet in keeping score. 28 right today with 13 in the first round and 15 in DJ.

I should have had 30. I didn't get The Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune in the game show category. I was hoping there would have been a clue on Mastermind. I love that show and wish it was in the U.S.

I swept the President category although I stumbled on Buchanan before remembering he was from Pennsylvania.

I got 3/5 on a couple of categories, such as Where Am I? I went with the Southern Ocean instead of the Dead Sea and went with Saudi Arabia instead of Jordan.

I had no idea for FJ. So I just threw the name Peter out there as a guess and it turned out it was correct.

I think Jason can go far. He seems pretty fast on the buzzer.
Last edited by JFanForever on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JFanForever wrote:I should have had 30. I didn't get The Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune in the game show category. I was hoping there would have been a clue on Mastermind. I love that show and wish it was in the U.S.
I precalled Jeopardy! itself as a clue. I suspect that boardies scored higher than average on that category.

I'm wondering if anyone was aided in the "Where Am I" category merely by remembering places they've done Clue Crew spots from before? (It helped me in all but the Rotterdam clue, as I don't remember them doing clues from there before on the show. Not surprisingly, it's also the only one I missed in the category (foolishly said "Antwerp", then immediately remembered it is in Belgium)

SAotD: Forget the exact clue or response, but it was the last DD in the DJ round (in Chapter 13). Sorry I couldn't elucidate more (already erased my recording), but I at least wanted to get out that I had one and to see if others had the same shout-at.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

In that category I didn't get any of them from previous clue crew spots but instead from independent studying.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ.

The guy on the far right made a big mistake when he took a stab at the last clue. It cost him a shot at winning because it meant his doubled score was lower than the leader's MSBIW total. The leader had a crush, but she bet a little too much, putting her MSBIW total below second place's pre-FJ total.

Note...MSIW is what someone will have if they make the MSB and get it wrong. (Short for MSB if wrong).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Oh, and just a note that the third player must be older than he looks, if his grandfather was a guard to Nicky Two - I'm 40 and my (maternal) grandparents (both now dead for about 20 years now) were toddlers when the Russian Revolution happened. Or did I miss something and it was his great-grandfater?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

I knew final, the whole story about the 3x denials and the cock crowing, but I discovered I wrote down Paul by mistake so I'd have to buy that answer. Add: I literally robbed Peter to pay Paul.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

SAotD: Forget the exact clue or response, but it was the last DD in the DJ round (in Chapter 13). Sorry I couldn't elucidate more (already erased my recording), but I at least wanted to get out that I had one and to see if others had the same shout-at.
It was Last of the Mohicans (Hawk-eye in the clue)...I was also shouting at that one. Surprised no one got East of Eden either.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:Oh, and just a note that the third player must be older than he looks, if his grandfather was a guard to Nicky Two - I'm 40 and my (maternal) grandparents (both now dead for about 20 years now) were toddlers when the Russian Revolution happened. Or did I miss something and it was his great-grandfater?
Alex said grandfather, but the contestant said it was his great-grandfather. I think he was a little uncomfortable with Alex teasing him about his ancestor.

The Chapter 13 DD was......

"The route taken by Hawkeye lay across those sandy plains".

The book was The Last of the Mohicans.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

A fun game for me tonight, with lots of literary references that lead to me shouting at the screen:

"The Maltese Falcon!"

"East of Eden!"

"Last of the Mohicans!"

Had fun with the Jubilee category and the "Where am I."

Was sort of stunned at the 1 out of 3 correct answers in FJ. For me and the missus, it was an Instaget, no doubt because of years of Catholic school education.

Happy to see Cara from Charlestown, Mass., show up. She must have been at one of three Boston auditions in May, but I don't think she was in mine. She did well and if she had known Peter instead of Paul, she would have been the new champ.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

My SAotD was when the third player, when hitting the DD with a very long way to go, wagered not even enough to get halfway to 2nd.

Peter, surprisingly, wasn't an instaget, but instead a headslapper at about two seconds in.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

Funny to me that 2 of the contestants said Paul, when he wasn't even one of the 12. I guess it's not a bad guess if you have absolutely no idea.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I ALMOST swept the Game Show Names in Foreign Languages category (froze up on Cash Cab—my brother got it, though). I anticipated a clue about a foreign version of Wheel of Fortune, too. I like foreign languages, and I'm of the opinion that knowing one will be useful in the working world.

Forgot the L in "Tierra del Fuego", and I know Spanish *slaps self in head*

I'll let you know when I get optimistic about Final Jeopardy!.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

marpocky wrote:Funny to me that 2 of the contestants said Paul, when he wasn't even one of the 12. I guess it's not a bad guess if you have absolutely no idea.
Which is exactly why I guessed him too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I called this FJ the Let's Screw the Jew Clue. Never heard that story before, though if they had put more of that story into Jesus Christ Superstar, I would have gotten it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My low scores this week continue…

Ran Game Show Names (precalled not only Wheel, but also that they'd use the Spanish name) and "Over". 0/5 in Where Am I, Queen Elizabeth, Chapter 13, and Presidents.

Almost thought those were otters on the Galápagos clue until I saw tailfins. Certainly would be disappointed if I missed an otter clue, since those are my favorite animal, but I can live with missing a seal one.

NHO "evacuee" before. I've heard "fescue" in the Ray Stevens song "Power Tools", but had no idea what it meant.

Rooster -> "Before the cock crows 3 times" -> Peter. Got it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Interesting McKinley was in the dead presidents category. His killing was referenced in the rerun episode today as well.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

alietr wrote:I called this FJ the Let's Screw the Jew Clue. Never heard that story before, though if they had put more of that story into Jesus Christ Superstar, I would have gotten it.
You're right. There's no cock crowing in this scene:

I do enjoy the Zeffirelli film, though:
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

Would be really interesting to see the split of those who did not grow up with some kind of semi-regular church attendance on FJ vs those who did. I did, and I had it at rooster.

Question to whoever wants to answer: Who got this without having much church / Christianity exposure in their lives? If so, do you recall where/how you learned it?