Friday, November 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6490, 2012-11-30

CONTESTANTS
Tim Norris, an assistant district attorney from Knoxville, Tennessee
Karen Poole, a graduate student of paleontology from Washington, D.C.
Jason Shore, a medical student from Plano, Texas (whose 2-day cash winnings total $45,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. Jason, our returning champion, upped his daily average with that nice performance on yesterday's program. Today he faces Karen and Tim, who are the newcomers. And you're smiling still. That's good. Good luck to you. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. Let's find out about the categories, shall we? Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CDC SAYS (5/5)
THEIR ORIGINAL NAMES (4/5)
BEER ME! (5/5)
42 (4/5)
TURN UP THE HEAT (5/5)
IT'S CHILE IN HERE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 15 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Karen: 7 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tim: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $6,200
Tim: $200
Karen: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Our champion's ringing-in skills were very much in evidence in the early going of this round, but then Tim Norris started to come alive, and we're happy to see that. Now... you were a fan of Jeopardy! even as a child.

Tim: Yeah.

Alex: And I hear that you used to dress up as Alex Trebek.

Tim: Well, my family--we had one television, it was in my parents' bedroom, and my brother and I used to come down the stairs in little handmade suits my mom made, so... we were big fans from an early age.

Alex: Yeah, but, you see, when you were that age, I had dark hair and a mustache.

Tim: That's correct.

Alex: Did you put a fake mustache on?

Tim: I don't think so. You'd have to ask my mother.

Alex: Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Karen Poole, a graduate student of paleontology. She's from Washington, D.C., was in China and maybe discovered something new.

Karen: Yes. I've possibly found a new species of turtle. It's at least new to the area where we found it--a fossil turtle.

Alex: Did you know when you found it that it might be a new species, or did somebody have to come and tell you that?

Karen: One of my fellow graduate students pointed out that it might be new.

Alex: Got to make you feel really good. Do you get to name it? I mean, do they name it after you?

Karen: Well, I possibly might be involved on the paper naming it if it is, in fact, something new.

Alex: Okay. That's special. I like that.

Alex: Jason Shore is our champion. Studied abroad in Russia.

Jason: Yes.

Alex: Circumstances there not quite as good as you might have hoped.

Jason: No. Apparently, every summer, they shut off the hot water to do work on the pipes, so we had three weeks of showering with no hot water. And if that wasn't bad enough, the toilets probably had never been cleaned. One of them had a plant growing up out of the bowl.

[Laughter]

Alex: Stop.

[Laughter]

Alex: Enough. [Laughing] Yeah. Enough.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karen found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Jason had $9,000, Karen had $3,200, and Tim had nothing in the bank. Karen wagered $3,000.

IT'S CHILE IN HERE $800: Chile is the world's leading producer of this metal that has been called "the salary of Chile"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
42 $600: Just west of Heinz Chapel is the 42-story Cathedral of Learning, the central building of this university

THEIR ORIGINAL NAMES $1000: Actress/comedian/TV talker Caryn Johnson

IT'S CHILE IN HERE $400: This cape, the southernmost point of Chile & of South America, is only about 600 miles from Antarctica
(Karen: What is the Cape of Good Hope?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $10,000
Karen: $6,200
Tim: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DANCE COMPANIES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LETTER PERFECT (4/5)
THE U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N. (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSIFICATION IS IN (4/5)
AT THE MOVIES (4/5)
END OF THE LINE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Karen: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 25th clue. Jason had $23,600, Karen had $11,000, and Tim had nothing in the bank. Jason wagered $1,500.

THE U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N. $1600: This man got the assignment in 1971; he'd get to appoint 2 other men to the job himself

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Karen who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 30th clue. Jason had $25,100, Karen had $11,400, and Tim had nothing in the bank. Karen wagered $3,000.

DANCE COMPANIES $2000: During foreign tours, the Mariinsky Ballet Company is known by this name
(Karen: What is the Moscow Ballet?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AT THE MOVIES $400: In Men In Black III, now on BluRay, Will Smith's partner, a young Agent K, is played by this actor
(Alex: And that actor's name is [*].)

LETTER PERFECT $1200: In male Burmese names, this letter is an honorific prefix similar to Mister
(Alex: And that is the letter [*] for "oo.")

END OF THE LINE $2000: Longfellow:
"This is the forest ____"
(Alex: "This is the forest [*], the murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss.")

CLASSIFICATION IS IN $1200: This type of auto got its name from the old method of taking passengers to & from train stops
(Alex: Hence, [*].)

THE U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N. $2000: Despite being a longtime Democrat, this woman was named to the post by Ronald Reagan
(Alex: And her name is [*].)

DANCE COMPANIES $800: In 1992 Joaquin Cortes formed his own company that featured this gypsy dance
(Karen: What is tarantella?)

DANCE COMPANIES $1600: This company's present artistic director is, fittingly, Kevin McKenzie from the good old United States

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $25,100 (lock game)
Karen: $8,400
Tim: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AMERICAN WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,299 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Karen: You've no hope of catching up... unless Jason does something stupid. So risk as much as $8,399; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A publisher's note on one of his books called him "The terror of typesetters" & "an enigma to book reviewers"

FINAL SCORES
Karen: $8,400 - $8,399 = $1 (Who is Kerouac?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $25,100 - $2,500 = $22,600 (Who is Cormac McCarthy) (3-day champion: $67,900)
(Alex: Doesn't like using capital letters. Punctuation sometimes he disregards completely.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $25,200, 30 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Karen: $9,200, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Tim: $0, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $34,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 30/59 = .508
Karen: 12/60 = .200
Tim: 7/58 = .121
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TURN UP THE HEAT $1000: Rising updrafts of warm air; birds ride them to stay aloft while expending less energy
(Tim: What is a jet stream?)

BEER ME! $600: (Kelly gives the clue from the Anheuser-Busch brewery in St. Louis)

In the mid-19th century, Americans drank mainly heavy, top-fermented ales; the new, lighter lagers pioneered by Adolphus Busch were made possible by the new, European, bottom-fermenting types of this ingredient
(Tim: What are hops?)

LETTER PERFECT $1600: In chess notation this single letter stands for the piece with a horse's head
(Alex: [*] for "knight.")

CLASSIFICATION IS IN $1600: This type of column named for a Greek city is usually decorated with acanthus leaves
(Tim: What is a Doric column?)

CLASSIFICATION IS IN $2000: The difference between white & brown rice is that white has had this fibrous & nutritious part removed
(Jason: What is the husk?)

THE U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N. $1200: On August 1st, 2005, the President named this man to the job in a recess appointment

CORRECT RESPONSES
copper
University of Pittsburgh
Whoopi Goldberg
Cape Horn
George H.W. Bush
the Kirov
Josh Brolin
U
primeval
the station wagon
Jean Kirkpatrick
flamenco
the American Ballet Theater
E.E. Cummings
thermals
yeast
N
Corinthian
germ (or the bran)
(John) Bolton
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: [#6490] - Friday, November 30, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jfrumkin »

I haven't seen it yet, but, yay, into the week of my air date now, finally! To be as vague as possible, the champ after today's game is (in my experience with them) really sweet and humble, which, granted, is true of pretty much every other contestant I met.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

A down game from yesterday. 8 right in the first round with 5 in DJ and no clue on FJ.

Based on the Tournament of Champions thread and what I have seen so far, I think this pushes Jason's entry into the tournament.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For FJ, I answered Joon Pahk.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

So, was there any reason Karen didn't wager it all for the DD? If she's right, she can maximize her potential winnings going into FJ. The other guy was at $0, so she didn't have to worry about him. Unless I'm mistaken, two contestants tied at $0 both get second place and $2,000, right?
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

Picked Faulkner for FJ. Figured The Sound and the Fury would've been a typesetter's nightmare too, and enigmatic didn't seem too out of character either. Anyone else?
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

SkeeBallRaif wrote:Picked Faulkner for FJ. Figured The Sound and the Fury would've been a typesetter's nightmare too, and enigmatic didn't seem too out of character either. Anyone else?
I was thinking James Joyce, Jack Kerouac or Kurt Vonnegut (mostly because for "Breakfast of Champions"). I went with Joyce. The only poet I considered was Whitman because I heard that he wanted the lines of "Leaves of Grass" to be as long as the prairies (or something like that — at least longer than the paper). But he's not from the 20th century.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

falsifieddocuments wrote:So, was there any reason Karen didn't wager it all for the DD? If she's right, she can maximize her potential winnings going into FJ. The other guy was at $0, so she didn't have to worry about him. Unless I'm mistaken, two contestants tied at $0 both get second place and $2,000, right?
I was wondering if I was the only one shouting "Lock tie! Lock tie!" at the screen on Karen's DD. That is certainly her best chance of winning the game. On any higher bet than that, she needs to get FJ right and have Jason get FJ wrong. If she bets to half of Jason's score, it doesn't matter if Jason gets FJ right or not since he should bet 0--they are co-champions if she gets FJ right. (All this became moot when she got the DD wrong, of course.)
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Linear Gnome wrote:
falsifieddocuments wrote:So, was there any reason Karen didn't wager it all for the DD? If she's right, she can maximize her potential winnings going into FJ. The other guy was at $0, so she didn't have to worry about him. Unless I'm mistaken, two contestants tied at $0 both get second place and $2,000, right?
I was wondering if I was the only one shouting "Lock tie! Lock tie!" at the screen on Karen's DD. That is certainly her best chance of winning the game. On any higher bet than that, she needs to get FJ right and have Jason get FJ wrong. If she bets to half of Jason's score, it doesn't matter if Jason gets FJ right or not since he should bet 0--they are co-champions if she gets FJ right. (All this became moot when she got the DD wrong, of course.)
I was also shouting for the lock tie.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tim had a hard time getting off $0, did he?

Transcript of what I said on Original Names for $200: "Who is Francis Ford Coppolawhowasn'tanactoryouidiot".

42 stymied me. For some reason, I can never remember that L is 50. Also NHO Elisha.

Totally lost in Beer, Chile, US Ambassador, and Classification. For some reason, I keep thinking Foster's is Canadian (or from a home for imaginary friends).

Planet of the Apes was mega overvalued at $2000.

Am I the only one for whom FJ! was an instaget? I mean, "typesetter's nightmare", and E.E. Cummings is known for having works that look like a typewriter threw up on the pages.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Really hated this FJ. Sure, cummings wrote prose like The Enormous Room, but most correctly view him as a poet. "Writer" doesn't quite convey the same thing.

I settled for Kerouac after eliminating Faulkner and failing to find a writer associated with the words "enigma" and "terror" that would plausibly work, that is not Lovecraft.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I hope ChemTeacher enjoyed that Molybdenum clue in the 42 category. :)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Totally lost in Beer, Chile, US Ambassador, and Classification. For some reason, I keep thinking Foster's is Canadian (or from a home for imaginary friends).

Am I the only one for whom FJ! was an instaget? I mean, "typesetter's nightmare", and E.E. Cummings is known for having works that look like a typewriter threw up on the pages.
I guess you haven't seen the "Foster's--Australian for Beer" commercials often enough.

I didn't get FJ. I knew it should be someone who did funky typesetting stuff but apparently haven't read enough of cummings's work to know he was in that category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Linear Gnome wrote:I guess you haven't seen the "Foster's--Australian for Beer" commercials often enough.
Actually, never that I recall.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

debramc wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
I was also shouting for the lock tie.
I was thinking the same, Jason wagered an odd hundred, so Karen had to do some quick math for the right wager ending in 50. I wondered if under the lights she was like What is half of 25100? Then what is the difference between that and 11400? Oh gosh, let's wager enough to make sure it's a game.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Snaxx wrote:
I was thinking the same, Jason wagered an odd hundred, so Karen had to do some quick math for the right wager ending in 50. I wondered if under the lights she was like What is half of 25100? Then what is the difference between that and 11400? Oh gosh, let's wager enough to make sure it's a game.
1150 would have given her 12550 if right and a lock tie. The champ's $22600 average he had going into today's game remains, as that was his winning total for this game.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

legendneverdies wrote:
Snaxx wrote:
1150 would have given her 12550 if right and a lock tie.
I'm pretty sure Snaxx knew that.

Two confessions: I'm way too fascinated by betting scenarios such as lock-tie and Faith Love, and I think odd-hundred DD bets are REALLY annoying.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Austin Powers wrote:Really hated this FJ. Sure, cummings wrote prose like The Enormous Room, but most correctly view him as a poet. "Writer" doesn't quite convey the same thing.

Likewise. The category title had me considering novelists, not poets.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:Really hated this FJ. Sure, cummings wrote prose like The Enormous Room, but most correctly view him as a poet. "Writer" doesn't quite convey the same thing.
This actually didn't trip me up. I just figured "eh, poems are still writing, and I know Cummings did books too. Also, aren't poems usually published in anthologies?"