Monday, December 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6491, 2012-12-03

CONTESTANTS
Basia Pioro, a development manager from George Town, Grand Cayman
Chris O'Toole, a writer from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Jason Shore, a medical student from Plano, Texas (whose 3-day cash winnings total $67,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Oh, thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. Basia and Chris, welcome aboard. Nice to have you with us as we start the week. And, Jason, good luck again as our returning champion. Here we go, players--the Jeopardy! Round. And the categories. You have to identify the play for us. We'll deal with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AT THE VEGAS HOTEL (2/5)
SPORTS ON FILM (5/5)
SHAKESPEAREAN SCENE SETTINGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You have to identify the play for us.)
MONOPOLY TOKENS (5/5)
6-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA (4/5) (Sarah: There's more to reef fish than a lot of pretty colors.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Basia: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Chris: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $5,000
Basia: $1,000
Chris: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Basia Pioro is from George town in grand cayman and works for a charity. We just had a whole category about sea life. You work for a charity that looks after which kind of animals?

Basia: Well, endangered animals that live on the three islands that make up the Cayman Islands. So, we've got, uh, some very rare blue iguanas and some very rare parrots, and we do our best to make sure that they're around for the next generation.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Chris O'Toole is a writer from Pittsburgh, and you have an identical twin...

Chris: I do.

Alex: ...who was on Jeopardy!

Chris: My twin, Carol Denny, was a Jeopardy! champion in 2010. And, uh, whenever she calls me on the phone, I know who it is just because she's got that Jeopardy! ringtone on my phone.

Alex: Oh, really? Okay.

Alex: Jason Shore is our champion. He's a medical student who also plays piano in what kind of band?

Jason: Uh, the Aggieland Orchestra. We play music from the big-band era.

Alex: Do you have a favorite?

Jason: Glenn Miller.

Alex: Glenn Miller. That's hard to take issue with that. That was a good choice.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Jason had $6,800, Chris had $400, and Basia was at $4,200. Jason wagered $2,000.

SHAKESPEAREAN SCENE SETTINGS $800: "Another part of the island"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
6-LETTER WORDS $1000: Philip Marlowe is called a private dick, gumshoe, sleuth &, in "The Big Sleep", this slang synonym

UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew snorkels in Baja California, Mexico.) A Baja resident named for a poisonous arachnid, this fish, with its spiny, venomous fins, uses camouflage to avoid detection

SHAKESPEAREAN SCENE SETTINGS $400: "A hall in Petruchio's country house"

AT THE VEGAS HOTEL $600: Cleopatra's Barge,
the Colosseum
(Chris: What is Luxor?)

AT THE VEGAS HOTEL $800: The Tournament of Kings dining show,
Castle Walk,
Fun Dungeon
(Basia: Is it Camelot?)

AT THE VEGAS HOTEL $1000: A midway,
an Adventuredome

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jason: $8,800
Basia: $4,400
Chris: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 3, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PAINTED LADIES (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SOMETIMES A GREAT "OTION" (5/5)
MILITARY MITE (5/5)
POP QUIZ (5/5)
BUBBLE UP (5/5)
MOUNTAIN DO (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 12 R, 1 W
Chris: 8 R, 2 W
Basia: 3 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Basia snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Jason had $16,400, Chris had $5,000, and Basia was at $6,800. Basia wagered $2,000.

PAINTED LADIES $1600: His paintings of the naked & clothed "Majas" caused him to be called before a tribunal
(Basia: Who is Picasso?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Basia who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Jason had $16,400, Chris had $5,000, and Basia was at $4,800. Basia wagered $1,500.

MOUNTAIN DO $800: Appropriately, the highest mountain peak in this South American country is Pico Cristobal Colon

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PAINTED LADIES $800: "Tahitian Women Bathing" is one of his paintings at the Met
(Chris: Who is Lautrec?)
(Alex: When you talk about Tahitian women, you're talking about [*].)

PAINTED LADIES $1200: "The Two Fridas"
shows a bleeding,
brokenhearted Frida Kahlo
on the left, torn over her divorce from this artist
(Jason: Who is Dalí?)

MOUNTAIN DO $400: It's sometimes referred to as Mount Tacoma

MOUNTAIN DO $1600: Most of the Carpathian Mountains lie in Slovakia & this country
(Basia: What is Poland?)
(Chris: What is the Czech Republic?)

MOUNTAIN DO $2000: It's the highest mountain in Canada & the second-highest in North America
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jason: $21,200 (lock game)
Chris: $7,000
Basia: $4,700

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the Final Jeopardy! Round, Sarah Whitcomb Foss of the Jeopardy! Clue Crew thanks the travel sponsor.)
The Clue Crew, with Lindblad Expeditions and National Geographic, traveled to Baja for all sorts of experiences. See whales up close and personal, snorkel among sea lions, and explore diverse wildlife on uninhabited islands. My expedition to Baja, among the great whales, was truly the trip of a lifetime. Go to expeditions.com for details.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHRASE ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Jason: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $7,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Chris: Wager $2,401 to cover Basia.
Basia: Risk between $0 and $100, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 2-word adjective for "going against accepted speech or conduct" first appeared in a 1933 translation from Izvestia

FINAL SCORES
Basia: $4,700 - $4,699 = $1 (What is counter cultu) (3rd place: $1,000)
Chris: $7,000 - $6,999 = $1 (What is going against the grain?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $21,200 - $3,800 = $17,400 (What is ----------) (4-day champion: $85,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jason: $20,000, 25 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Chris: $7,000, 10 R, 4 W
Basia: $6,000, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 25/59 = .424
Basia: 12/60 = .200
Chris: 10/58 = .172
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew snorkels in Baja California, Mexico.) The marine types of these heavenly creatures are brighter & often seen around reefs; the Cortez & king type are found near Baja

UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew snorkels in Baja California, Mexico.) Though the beaks of parrot fish can scar coral reefs, the fish are vital to the reef's health by eating these organisms that otherwise could smother the coral
(Chris: What are krill?)

UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew snorkels in Baja California, Mexico.) Even small fish should be approached with care by snorkelers; the surgeonfish, named for the resemblance of its spines to this operating-room tool, can inflict nasty cuts

UNDER THE SEA IN BAJA $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew snorkels in Baja California, Mexico.) The Panamic green species of this type of eel found in Baja is seen constantly opening and closing its mouth, which looks threatening but is actually needed for respiration

POP QUIZ $400: "Miss Independent" & "Stronger" were hits for this idol
(Chris: Who is Kanye West?)
[Initially ruled incorrect; reversed before Daily Double at clue 20 as the clue did not specify original artists and West did have hits with songs of those names.]

PAINTED LADIES $400: Before her untimely death,
this royal enjoyed singing
& playing instruments

MOUNTAIN DO $1200: Scientists estimate that since 1912, this highest African mountain has lost more than 80% of its ice cap
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Tempest
a shamus
a scorpionfish
The Taming of the Shrew
Caesars Palace
Excalibur
Circus Circus
Francisco Goya
Colombia
Paul Gauguin
Diego Rivera
Mount Rainier
Romania
Mount Logan
politically incorrect
angelfish
algae
a scalpel
moray (eel)
Kelly Clarkson
Marie Antoinette
Mount Kilimanjaro
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Good thing that, just a few days ago, I took a Sporcle quiz on Monopoly pieces which helped in the J! round (especially since one of the ones on the show I missed in the quiz, and it stuck in my mind as a result)

FJ! seemed to be a real bear of a clue, and there didn't seem to be much leading towards the correct answer. I predict that the get rate here will be low as well.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have never heard that "friends/family" idiom before, nor "legacy" in the college context, nor "shamus" in any context.

Total 0/15 on the left side of the board. I see no reason to bone up on the Vegas hotels.

Ran Monopoly Tokens and "Otion". Could have run Baja, but got gun-shy on 3 of my guesses (algae, scorpion fish, moray).

I don't know what was more surprising: the TS on Kelly Clarkson, or the reversal of the neg on Kanye West.

"AKA Mount Tacoma" seemed like a 50/50 on Rainier/St. Helens. OF COURSE I picked the wrong freaking one.

Anti- something. Against something. Nope, getting nowhere on this. Alex's post-mortem did nothing. I saw absolutely nothing pointing to "political" in the clue, and even after the fact, it seems like a very loose fit to the description.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:FJ! seemed to be a real bear of a clue, and there didn't seem to be much leading towards the correct answer. I predict that the get rate here will be low as well.
Quite. All I could come up with was "Counter culture". Had no idea that the correct phrase was that old.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:nor "shamus" in any context.
Seamus, actually.
ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ACW »

Monopoly boat? :?:
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

got the first 10 questions, until Seamus, and felt good then 4/5 in Shakespeare . no idea where we were going with FJ and definitely saw jitters for the other competitors.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed only racecar on the tokens, I think I've always just called it the car.

Vegas hotels seem to come up a lot for some reason, I'd put that on my short list study guide if I got the call.

No chance on FJ, went with anti-social. And, no, Alex, it does not make sense.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With four wins & $85,200, Jason moves into eighth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.

I said, "Politically correct" for FJ. :cry:
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:nor "shamus" in any context.
Seamus, actually.
Ahem. As a two-time winner of the Shamus Award, given by the Private Eye Writers of America, I politely beg to disagree.

This was a "meh" game for me, not too exciting, though I did run the Military Mite category. Jason was a steamroller, once again.

The Final Jeopardy question... well, it stank. Sorry. Thought counter-culture, counter-revolutionary, except the God of Google said otherwise.

Be interesting to see how the other board members did tonight on the FJ.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

A couple other surpring TSes, Diego Rivera was the most obvious.

No shot on FJ! I went through every phrase used to describe the kids I work with. Clearly that was not one of them.

Enjoying Jason's run.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

My mom nailed this FJ, best answer she's ever gotten. I had nothing.

Glad Jason is sticking around, the boards move well with him.

The Kanye West answer was pretty wily too.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brilliant! Chris gets on a second time by claiming to be her twin. Totally outdoing Jeff Kirby, because we can't even identify her as looking like her sister.

I had nothing for FJ. This is going to be one heckuva low polling clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BADuBois wrote:Ahem. As a two-time winner of the Shamus Award, given by the Private Eye Writers of America, I politely beg to disagree.
I stand corrected!
Leander

Post by Leander »

No idea on FJ. I was thinking of something like "toeing the party line", but knew it was wrong.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I laughed at the confident ring-in and subsequent reversal of "Kanye West." I wouldn't have pegged the middle player as a big hip hop fan. I request the "Call Me Maybe" question for one of the extra ones in this week's poll. This board may not have the most pop-music-savvy group of people ever, but it'd be hard to have somehow missed that song this summer. I'm surprised it was the middle of the board, and I'm curious what the get rate is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ I had honestly never heard of "Call Me Maybe" or Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" until, you guessed it, Todd in the Shadows reviewed them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of any of those songs.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I thought there was no way Kanye West would ever have done a Kelly Clarkson song, let alone two of them. The clue's wording made it obvious to me that they were looking for Ms. Clarkson.

FJ was an instaget, and I couldn't think of another answer that would fit.