Wednesday, December 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6493, 2012-12-05

CONTESTANTS
Melanie Yulman, a lower schoolteacher from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Mike McCormick, a logistics director from Hockessin, Delaware
Jennifer North, an attorney from Jersey City, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $9,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Can't believe just three weeks away from the holiday season. Jennifer is our new champion, crowned yesterday. Mike and Melanie, the challengers. And pick up those signaling devices, and we'll put you to work now in our first round of play--the Jeopardy! Round, which has one Daily Double that will appear in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREENBACKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HITS & MISSES (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the female singer for us.)
CANADIAN CAPITALS (5/5)
THIS REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED (2/5)
DOUBLE VOWELS (5/5)
THE CHRISTMAS TREE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Jennifer: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Melanie: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Jennifer had $2,000, Mike had $1,400, and Melanie was at $400. Mike made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

GREENBACKS $600: It's the only current bill with the face of a treasury secretary on it
(Alex: That's right. Alexander Hamilton.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mike: $4,800
Melanie: $2,200
Jennifer: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We have a Philadelphia connection between our two challengers today. Melanie Yulman is from Philadelphia. She's a lower schoolteacher who, at a special event, ran into two very famous people. Tell me.

Melanie: I didn't literally run into them, but I was working at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1976, when Queen Elizabeth came to Philadelphia for the Bicentennial, and the city hosted a dinner for her at the art museum, where I was on duty that night. She led the procession of guests back to the dinner--hundreds of people--and walked right by me. She didn't even look at me. But then in came this really tall man, who stopped in front of me and said, "I know why you're standing there. You don't want me to steal that chair." It was John Wayne. And I said, "Yep, you're right."

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Mike McCormick is from Hockessin, Delaware, and the Philadelphia connection is that you got to see the Phillies win the World Series when?
In what year?

Mike: In 2008.

Alex: What were the circumstances?

Mike: Well, my brother Albert and his wife, Meghan, and my father, they went to the game--game 5, which ended up being the clinching game. But if you may remember, had to get continued. His wife had to go out of town, so I got to take her ticket for the final three innings and be there for the party.

Alex: Oh, good. The party part is very nice.

Alex: Jennifer North is our champion. She is an attorney. Are you a basketball fan, a college basketball fan?

Jennifer: I am. I'm a graduate of Duke, 1998.

Alex: So, you're a Blue Devil fan?

Jennifer: I am.

Alex: And you camped out for a Duke basketball game?

Jennifer: We actually had to camp out for the whole season. You got to register your tent number, and 15 people to a tent, and I managed to finagle my way into tent number 1, which means we had, you know, center-court seats for every game, including the--of course, the classic Carolina game.

Alex: Special treatment.

Jennifer: Yes.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THIS REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED $600: In the BBC's "Terror!"

THIS REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED $800: In the 1969 documentary "Mao Tse-tung and the..."
(Jennifer: What is the People's Revolution?)

THIS REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED $1000: In "The Train", set in the early 20th century & starring Ben Kingsley

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mike: $6,600
Jennifer: $3,600
Melanie: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GREENE BOOKS (5/5) (Alex: We want you to fill in the title of the Graham Greene novel.)
MINORITY POPULATIONS (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
POPULAR MECHANICS (2/4)
WE'RE AFTER SOME CONSISTENCY (5/5)
18th CENTURY PEOPLE (4/5)
TO THE LIBRARY! (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Melanie: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jennifer: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Mike: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Jennifer had $4,000, Mike had $9,000, and Melanie was at $2,200. Mike wagered $1,000.

TO THE LIBRARY! $2000: Some of its collections were housed in the Serapeum, a temple dedicated to the god Serapis

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Jennifer had $8,400, Mike had $13,600, and Melanie was at $7,400. Mike wagered $2,000.

MINORITY POPULATIONS $800: Marseilles has a large number of North Africans, most coming from this former colony
(Mike: What is... Cote d'Ivoire?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TO THE LIBRARY! $1600: Shh! The name of this official policy of San Diego's Copley Library sounds like it's kept hush-hush

18th CENTURY PEOPLE $2000: In 1781 he "critique"d Leibniz' idea that the mind can grasp truths about entities like God
(Alex: And his name was [*]. But he could.)
[Laughter]

POPULAR MECHANICS $1200: Sparkplug Witwicky was a character in this animated TV series whose main characters could use a good mechanic

POPULAR MECHANICS $1600: From Paul Sr. to Jr., this reality show on Discovery Teutul-ly covers motorcycle mechanic madness
(Mike: What is American Choppers?)

MINORITY POPULATIONS $1200: Brazil has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan, witth the most living in the state named for this largest city

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $11,600
Jennifer: $8,400
Melanie: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PRESIDENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Mike: Wager $5,201 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You ought to wager to cover Melanie, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $8,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,400 (to shut out Melanie) or less than $2,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Melanie). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Mike.
Melanie: Consider risking $1,000, thereby beating Mike on the Triple Stumper (should Mike wager to cover Jennifer's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This man is the only U.S. president since Hoover not named Time magazine's Man or Person of the Year

FINAL SCORES
Melanie: $7,400 + $2,000 = $9,400 (Who is Ford?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jennifer: $8,400 - $3,200 = $5,200 (Who is Nixon) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mike: $11,600 + $5,201 = $16,801 (Who is Gerald Ford?) (New champion: $16,801)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $13,800, 20 R (including 2 DDs), 6 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: $8,400, 12 R, 1 W
Melanie: $7,400, 16 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $29,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 21/61 = .344
Melanie: 17/58 = .293
Jennifer: 12/58 = .207
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CANADIAN CAPITALS $400: This provincial capital is home to Canada's tallest structure
(Alex: Yes. The CN Tower.)

DOUBLE VOWELS $1000: Arabic for "peace", it often precedes "aleikum"
(Melanie: What is shalom?)

THIS REVOLUTION WILL BE TELEVISED $400: In the Dickens adaptation "Hard Times"
(Mike: What is the French Revolution?)

THE CHRISTMAS TREE $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew stands in front of the Metropolitan Opera Christmas tree at Lincoln Center in New York.) In 1882, the first Christmas tree with electric lights was set up by Edward Johnson, an engineer & vice president of this man's Electric Company
(Mike: Who is Rockefeller?)
(Alex: [*], with a minute to go.)

THE CHRISTMAS TREE $400: If there's blue in your decor, the Colorado blue type of this conifer might be a good tree choice
(Melanie: What is a Christmas tree? Um, no, what is [*]?)

THE CHRISTMAS TREE $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands in front of the Metropolitan Opera Christmas tree at Lincoln Center in New York.) One of the groups that helped make the Christmas tree a tradition in the U.S. were these German mercenaries
(Mike: Who are the Prussians?)

THE CHRISTMAS TREE $1000: John Paul II started a tradition of different countries sending a great big tree to light in this square
(Melanie: What is Vatican Square?)

MINORITY POPULATIONS $400: A large Welsh community has been thriving in Chubut Province in this country's Patagonia region for over 100 years
(Mike: What is Spain?)

GREENE BOOKS $800: "The ___ American"
(Melanie: What is Ugly?)

GREENE BOOKS $1200: "This ___ for Hire"
(Melanie: What is Man?)

18th CENTURY PEOPLE $1600: This Russian's achievements included the founding of cities

WE'RE AFTER SOME CONSISTENCY $800: Similar to "gritty", it's the adjective used of old-time film from the clumping together of particles in the emulsion

WE'RE AFTER SOME CONSISTENCY $1200: Sticky stuff to catch birds was once made from mistletoe, viscum in Latin; hence this adjective
(Alex: You got it, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the $10 bill
the French Revolution
the Cultural Revolution
the Russian Revolution
the Alexandria library
Algeria
Quiet Policy
Immanuel Kant
The Transformers
American Chopper
São Paulo
Gerald Ford
Toronto
salaam
the Industrial Revolution
(Thomas) Edison
a blue spruce
the Hessians
St. Peter's Square
Argentina
Quiet
Gun
Peter the Great
grainy
viscous
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Will Dave Brubeck be a subject of a clue today. If so, will it be a triple stumper?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Whitney was my only miss in Hits and Misses. NHO that song.

Canada should've been a 5/5, but I was blanking on where the CN Tower is located. Then I had a brain lock on Regina and blurted out Saskatoon.

Revolution went completely over my head. I had no idea what they wanted until $600. Then $800 seemed to contradict that.

Anyone notice that "quiet" was the response to two different clues in DJ!?

How would I know that Minority for $400 was asking for Argentina and not Chile, especially with "Patagonian" staring me in the face?

Yeah, no. That FJ! could be anyone.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FDR? Of course they did. Truman? Eisenhower? Probably. (haven't looked at the list in ages). JFK? LBJ? Cmon now. Nixon? Eh...maybe, before things went south. Ford? No way in hell. Let's go with that. That shouldn't have taken 27 seconds, but a get is a get.

Thanks for the Transformers TS. Not sure wheter it should make me feel old, or too young.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Thought about Carter for a second, but figured Ford was the better choice.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Okay, I'm ready to be schooled here. Since when was "Alexander Library" an acceptable response in lieu of "Library at Alexandria" or "Alexandria Library"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Okay, I'm ready to be schooled here. Since when was "Alexander Library" an acceptable response in lieu of "Library at Alexandria" or "Alexandria Library"?
I got nothing. Even in Arabic, it's al-ʾIskandariyyah.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Is that what he said? I thought I heard 'Alexandria'.
ACW

Post by ACW »

xxaaaxx wrote:Is that what he said? I thought I heard 'Alexandria'.
Same here. I got FJ. Took me only a few seconds, then a few more to wonder if it wasn't Carter.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I heard Alexandria too. It was a little weird to not have it phrased as "The Library at Alexandria" but not wrong.
nightscrabbler
Contributor

Post by nightscrabbler »

Sparkplug Witwicky! amazing! I never thought I'd see that name in a Jeopardy clue.
tmwaters89
Contributor

Post by tmwaters89 »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Okay, I'm ready to be schooled here. Since when was "Alexander Library" an acceptable response in lieu of "Library at Alexandria" or "Alexandria Library"?
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who heard this. I thought for sure they would take away points later in the game.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Star Wars and Transformers, pretty much describes my childhood pop culture interests.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Amazingly, there was a whole category pertaining to things Canadian and not a TS in the bunch. However, as I mentioned on another thread just days ago, "Who is Victoria British Columbia?" should not be an acceptable response.

And how... did... they... ever... allow... such... a... slow... -... moving... con...tes...tant... through... the... whole... pro...cess... and... on... to... the... show?

And, more amazingly, how did they make it through all the clues at that speed?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

A fun game for me, but nothing too overwhelming. Did well on the Currency and Revolution categories.

However, couldn't believe how some questions remained unanswered, as I yelled.. "Hessians!" "Cultural Revolution!"

FJ was an Instaget with crossed fingers for me... no other President made sense save for Ford, since he had such a short term. (Though the missus though Carter wasn't worthy of the honor...)

Melanie was an interesting contestant. I'm sure she's going to get a lot of grief here for going soooo slow. But what the heck. She came in second and for a brief moment, I thought she was going to pull it out and become champ.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I also heard "Alexander Library." Then, for the city in Brazil, it sounded like Alex said, "San Paulo," both times. Do I need to get my ears checked?

A lot of weird clues today. "Series" in a clue for "serial number." "Cards" in a clue for "card catalog." That stupid "shh... hush" clue for "quiet policy;" how is a contestant supposed to pin it to that and not "silence policy" or "noise policy," or other possibilities?

Then there's the slowest contestant ever, an answer of "Christmas tree" that was quickly corrected, a neg for adding an "s" to a response, and a couple of other things I canned remember right now that just made for an awkward game.
Last edited by soxfan99 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

We "rewound" and listened to it twice more. He definitely said "Alexander." I was shocked they didn't take points away during the next stoppage in play.
nightscrabbler
Contributor

Post by nightscrabbler »

I laughed at:

What is Re-gee-na?
Yes. Re-jai-na.
Regina. Excuse me.

Forgive me for my error, Alex, my Canadian friend.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
We "rewound" and listened to it twice more. He definitely said "Alexander." I was shocked they didn't take points away during the next stoppage in play.
That's what I heard also. So did the closed captioner.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.