Thursday, January 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6514, 2013-01-03

CONTESTANTS
Emily Gilmore, a Latin teacher from Fredericksburg, Virginia
Ashok Poozhikunnel, an underwriter from Wheaton, Illinois
Julie Reynolds, a medical transcriptionist from Waterville, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,005)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex:
Thank you, everyone, Johnny.
And welcome to our show.
A low-scoring game on yesterday's program, but Julie has earned over $10,000 and would like to add to that today.
Ashok and Emily would like to defeat her.
Good luck.
Here we go.
"Jeopardy!" Round.
And these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAME THE PARENT COMPANY (1/5)
HISTORICAL HODGEPODGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MEASURED LANGUAGE (4/5)
SHELF RELIANCE (5/5)
'80s NO.1 HITMAKERS (5/5)
"TIN" MEN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Emily: 9 R, 0 W
Ashok: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julie: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ashok found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Julie had $2,000, Ashok had $3,000, and Emily was at $2,200. Ashok wagered $1,000.

HISTORICAL HODGEPODGE $600: This roadway begun in 312 B.C. would eventually extend from Rome to the heel of Italy

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ashok: $4,000
Emily: $2,200
Julie: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex:
Emily Gilmore is a Latin teacher.
We still have them.
And not only is she a Latin teacher, but she's teaching at the same school that you attended as a student.

Emily: This is correct.
Yes, I went to Stafford High School in Stafford, Virginia, and this is my fifth year actually teaching there.
I graduated probably longer ago than people think by looking at my face, but I, um, it's nice...

Alex: Why Latin?

Emily: You know, I don't remember. I just started taking it in 8th grade, and I loved it.
And my teacher was amazing. I majored in it in college. I worked for a newspaper before I started teaching.
And still, I went back to--

Alex: Is it an elective at your school...

Emily: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Or do the kids have to take it?

Emily: No, they don't have to take it.
There is a foreign-language requirement, but there are a few different choices.

Alex: Yeah, Latin would not seem to be number-one in terms of foreign languages.

Emily: Well, the program is growing.

Alex: It is.

Emily: I'm drawing them in.

Alex: Okay.
Well, good.

Alex:
Ashok, you're from Wheaton, Illinois.
You noticed I didn't try pronouncing your last name.

Ashok:
That's okay.
Most people don't.

Alex:
Poozhikunnel?

Ashok: Poozhikunnel, yes.

Alex: Poozhikunnel. For your 19th birthday, what did you receive?

Ashok: So I don't like making a big deal out of my birthday, but my friends insist, so they asked me what I wanted for a present.
So tongue in cheek, I asked for a hanger, three safety pins, and some chapstick.

Alex: And what did you get?

Ashok: Every single person who attended the surprise party they threw me brought those items.

Alex: [ Laughs ]

Ashok: So I have over 50 chapsticks in my drawer right now.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Julie Reynolds is our champion.
She is from Waterville, Ohio, and comes from a rather large family. How many are we talking about here?

Julie:
Well, I'm the youngest of six.

Alex: Yeah.

Julie: Uh, I have 10 nieces and nephews from them, and from those, I have 24 great-nieces and nephews.

Alex: And is it true you were an aunt from birth?

Julie: At birth, yes.
In fact, my niece Becky is in the audience today.
She's older than me and always will be.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORICAL HODGEPODGE $1000: It was the peninsula fought over in the peninsular war of 1808 to 1814

NAME THE PARENT COMPANY $400: Fisher-Price toys

NAME THE PARENT COMPANY $600: Crest toothpaste
(Alex: That's from [*]. You knew that, Julie. You should have rung in.
Go again.)

MEASURED LANGUAGE $1000: Nietzsche: "The Germans are like women, you can scarcely ever ____ their depths"

NAME THE PARENT COMPANY $800: Milton Bradley games
(Ashok: What is Parker Brothers?)

NAME THE PARENT COMPANY $1000: Jell-O

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Emily: $5,400
Ashok: $4,400
Julie: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE OF THE ART MUSEUM (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the museum. You give us the state.)
THE RESIDENTS (4/5)
CEMETERIES (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
10 CHARACTERS, 5 AUTHORS (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you ten characters, and you have to give us five authors, one per clue.)
RHYME TIME (4/5)
CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Julie: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ashok: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ashok snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Julie had $3,000, Ashok had $8,000, and Emily was at $7,000. Ashok wagered $2,000.

10 CHARACTERS, 5 AUTHORS $800: Alexander Portnoy, President Charles Lindbergh
(Who is Waugh?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Julie had $9,000, Ashok had $6,000, and Emily was at $7,000. Julie wagered $1,000.

CEMETERIES $1200: Soon after this cemetery opened in 1804, the remains of Molière & others were moved to it, lending a bit of prestige
(Julie: It's in there, but it's not coming out.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RHYME TIME $800: According to the title of a novel by Marc Blatte, this Lewis Carroll character "was pushed"
(Alex: [*]. Makes sense. He was pushed. Didn't just fall.)

10 CHARACTERS, 5 AUTHORS $400: Alex Cross, Daniel X

10 CHARACTERS, 5 AUTHORS $1600: The evil comanchero named Blue Duck, the colorful Aurora Greenway

10 CHARACTERS, 5 AUTHORS $2000: Royal rainmaker Eugene Henderson, Artur Sammler (it's his planet)
(Alex: And the author is [*]. That was a tough one.)

THE RESIDENTS $1600: Kinch, Carter & LeBeau were all residents of Stalag 13 on this TV show

CEMETERIES $800: This "field" is on the Belgian site where in WWI the U.S. Army's 91st division took heavy casualties

CEMETERIES $1600: A replica of Boston's Old North Church can be found at this Hollywood hills cemetery

CEMETERIES $2000: On May 5, 1878 Alice Chambers was the last person buried in this Dodge City, Kansas cemetery

STATE OF THE ART MUSEUM $1600: The Sun Valley Center for the Arts
(Alex: Think of skiing--Sun Valley, [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ashok: $11,600
Julie: $10,400
Emily: $9,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SEX & THE CONSTITUTION
(Alex: Sounds a little strange, doesn't it? And I guess that's why some people chuckled when we revealed "Sex & the Constitution" as the Final Jeopardy! category. But here is the clue. Check it out.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Ashok: Wager $9,201 to cover Julie.
Julie: You ought to wager to cover Emily, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $10,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,400 (to shut out Emily) or less than $8,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Emily). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Ashok.
Emily: You ought to try wagering between $1,001 and $7,000. This will top a $0 wager by Julie while still beating Ashok and Julie on the Triple Stumper (should Ashok wager to cover Julie's doubled score and Julie wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, it's the number of the only one to contain the word "sex"

FINAL SCORES
Emily: $9,400 - $9,400 = $0 (What is the 20th Amendment) (3rd place: $1,000)
Julie: $10,400 - $9,201 = $1,199 (What is the 22nd?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ashok: $11,600 + $10,000 = $21,600 (What is the 19th Amendment?) (New champion: $21,600)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ashok: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: $11,400, 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $9,400, 12 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $34,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ashok: 19/60 = .317
Julie: 13/59 = .220
Emily: 12/58 = .207
Team: 44/63 = .698

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
'80s NO.1 HITMAKERS $1000: 1988: "Father Figure"
(Alex: We didn't fool you on any of these clues. You guys are good.)

"TIN" MEN $1000: This Italian painter depicted the "Adoration of the Golden Calf" seen here

HISTORICAL HODGEPODGE $800: The Ammonites held sway in this Mideast country in the 1200s B.C. & the capital is named for them
(Alex: [*]. Amman, [*].)

SHELF RELIANCE $600: Mmm! The sulfur shelf is an edible type of this

CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh.) The Royal Palace grounds feature a statue of King Norodom, who in the late 1800s was compelled to first put his country under the control of this European power; of course, it was sculpted in that country

CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Cambodia.) Not to be confused with karma, krama is a popular accessory sold in cambodia; the word means "scarf" in this national language of Cambodia

CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE $1200: The often watery landscape has led resourceful Cambodians to create this eight-letter type of village

CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from the Silver Pagoda in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.)Until the 1930s, the Silver Pagoda was used as a place where these people lived and studied.

CAMBODIAN HISTORY & CULTURE $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from Phnom Penh, Cambodia.) Phnom Penh's notorious gridlock is circumvented by the nimble tuk-tuk, a motorized taxi that's also known as an auto this, a similar Asian conveyance.

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Appian Way
Iberian peninsula
Mattel
Procter & Gamble
fathom
Hasbro
Kraft
Philip Roth
Père Lachaise
Humpty Dumpty
James Patterson
Larry McMurtry
Saul Bellow
Hogan's Heroes
Flanders Field
Forest Lawn
Boot Hill
Idaho
19th Amendment
George Michael
Tintoretto
Jordan
fungus (or mushroom)
France
Khmer
a floating village
monks
rickshaw
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Sex & the Constitution
Of the 27 Amendments to the Constitution, it's the number of the only one to contain the word "sex".

Spoiler
What is the 19th? Emily said 20th; Julie said 22nd.

Ashok Poozhikunnel: $11,600+$10,000=$21,600...now a 1-day champion with $21,600
Julie Reynolds: $10,400-$9,201=$1,199
Emily Gilmore: $9,400-$9,400=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew women got the vote during the prohibition era, which put it between the 18th and 21st. I wasn't 100% sure, but pretty confident it was the 19th.

TPH-Did you put anything down? They told you there were 27 amendments, so any random guess would have a 3.7% chance of being right.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Who else got today's FJ at least partially thanks to Schoolhouse Rock?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Reesees peesees?????
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Woppy T wrote:Reesees peesees?????
*shrug* Close enough :lol:

It's rare to not only precall the answer, but the entire clue. The category didn't leave a whole lot of options.

After all the stand and stares, I'm not sure what amazed me more: the scores, or finishing both rounds w/o so much as a LTaM warning (grumble grumble).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I was one off on the Amendment. I said 20th. Of course, the 19th Amendment passed in 1920.

ARGH.

I was wondering if Julie was trying to slow-play the game to keep it low scoring or something.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you didn't know, this FJ was pretty much "Guess a number in the high teens or early twenties".
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Fortunately I know my liquor.
1919ish: 18th Amendment - Prohibition
1933ish: 21st Amendment - Ends Prohibition
Either 19th or 20th, and much more likely 19th given the dates, since I knew 1920 was when women get the vote.
clem21

Post by clem21 »

So happy for Ashok. Wonderful to see him play a great game, along with Julie and Emily. I've spent enough time reading the Constitution for law school that I knew this one straight off, but I have a feeling I would've been smoked during regular gameplay. It was fun to watch and I really hope Ashok can put a run together...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I thought this was a pretty solid game, some good gets with only a couple of head-slappers by the contestants. Especially once they got some momentum.

The FJ was silly, though. I am sure every contestant guessed ahead of time what the question would ask about (I know that I did), so it basically became a test of whether or not you remembered a certain number. That kind of question doesn't do much for me. I think the difference is asking "what year did X happen?" and this type of FJ, which takes a bit more mental work:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2721

KJ missed that.

Today's question was a little lazy.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Should've been an instaget on FJ, but I sat trying to remember which amendment granted women the right to vote. Finally realized that it was after prohibition but before anti-prohibition, which should put it about 19. Whether that's all correct or not is irrelevant, since it got me to 19, and so it worked. :lol:

BTW, stand and stare on Belgium/ graveyard? STUPID FLANDERS!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2721

KJ missed that.
I've seen that clue before, but it still cracks me up to look at the incorrect response from the middle player.

I enjoyed today's game. All 3 players had some nice runs, and it was pretty close throughout. We've had some highly competitive games lately among all 3 players, as 3 of the 4 shows this week have seen all 3 players tightly bunched right around the $10,000 mark at the end of DJ.

FJ was a near-instaget for me, as I knew that the 19th gave women the vote, but wavered a bit over the 14th Amendment. I know that it included the Equal Protection clause and ensured that every person was a citizen, but wasn't sure if it included any wording along the lines of "No person shall be denied citizenship on the basis of color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, etc." No, I didn't really think that last one would have been thrown in there in the 1860s. ;)

As it turns out, the 14th does quite the opposite, as it does discriminate on the basis of sex, though it doesn't use the word. It seems odd that the 14th prohibits states from preventing "any male inhabitant" from voting, but it was the 15th Amendment that actually ensured the right to vote. Just reading the text of the 14th, the 15th seems a bit redundant, but I guess they wanted to make extra sure that everybody got the message, even if it took another 100 year or so for it to actually be enforced.

So fortunately I stuck with the 19th, as I thought it would be a pretty dirty trick if the 14th included the word "sex" while the 19th used "gender" or some other term. I've always remembered that one easily, since the 19th was proposed in 1919, though I guess that doesn't really have anything to do with what it did. That part I guess I just have been fortunate enough to hang onto, while some others, like the 17th, 22nd, and 24th I tend to mix up a bit.

I expected all 3 players to get this one right, but maybe #19 isn't as well known as I thought. It will be interesting to see how it polls. Someone somewhere should appreciate the irony of the male player getting it right while the two females missed it.

The wagers by 2nd and 3rd were somewhat less than ideal, as Ashok would have won with $1,600 even if he too had been incorrect. Oddly, Julie made the MSB for 1st place to cover 2nd, rather than the MSB for her to cover 3rd, which would have cost her the game if it had been a triple stumper.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

How many people posting learned the answer to FJ! from School House Rock like I did?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Parent Company was tougher than I thought it'd be.

Any way I should know that quote at $200 was "every inch a king" and not some other measurement? I saw no possible way to tease out inch, then clammed on the next three out of uncertainty.

Lots of Lach Trash for me tonight: Hasbro, Flanders, Boot Hill, and whatever $800 was in Rhyme Time.

Rickshaw was by far the easiest in the Cambodia category.

I locked up completely and couldn't think of what any of the amendments were, nor where they placed. If I had put anything down, it would've been in the 20s.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I figured it couldn't be that easy, and thought maybe they hadn't used the word "sex" and found another way to phrase the amendment. I therefore figured the next plausible use of the word was in the 14th (turns out they use the word "male" twice). If I had gone with the obvious I would have picked the 20th anyway, so I feel a little better.

I thought the contestants had some potential. Looking forward to seeing the champ tomorrow.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Fun, fast-moving game with three attractive players who were also --- as we say here in N.H. --- "wicked smaht." No clues left on the board, and you could tell Alex was pleased at the scoring and pace.

Loved the history category, as well as the writers and the characters. Cringed when Ashok couldn't get the clue "President Charles Lindbergh" which was from Philip Roth's book "The Plot Against America." As an alt-history fan and writer, knew this one instantly. For other alt-history fans out there, I highly recommend "Amerikan Eagle" by Alan Glenn, which looks at President Huey Long and his Administration in 1943. I know Alan Glenn intimately... ;)

Had difficulty on the Cambodia and the brand parent company categories. However, my better half, who has an MBA from MIT, swept the company category.

A groan when no one picked up on "Hogan's Heroes." Too young, perhaps?
jeff6286 wrote: I expected all 3 players to get this one right, but maybe #19 isn't as well known as I thought. It will be interesting to see how it polls. Someone somewhere should appreciate the irony of the male player getting it right while the two females missed it.
FJ was an Instaget for me (not sure why) and yes, it was hilarious to see the male player get it right.

Hope Ashok continues to do well.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

StrangerCoug wrote:How many people posting learned the answer to FJ! from School House Rock like I did?
[a couple of hours ago:]
Linear Gnome wrote:Who else got today's FJ at least partially thanks to Schoolhouse Rock?
[tap tap] Is this thing on?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah, I Lach Trashed "Hogan's Heroes" as well.

Also, there's my otter clue. Sort of.