Friday, January 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Re: Friday, January 11, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Dr. J »

She'd take Patrick Morrison's spot, making the field all folks who won four or more games. It would be nice to have another woman, IMO; it's pretty dude-centric at this point. (There's a thread on standings on page 2, the list is the first post of the thread.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:The Shark Tank is a reality show where people with busineses come to a group of super rich business people (the ones giving the clues) asking them to invest in their products. The category today was just the panelists from the show giving clues about famous businessmen.
The sharks may be good businessmen, but I couldn't stand their reading of the clue - it's not like they were overly slow, but they are very bad actors (and reading those clues required acting, to a degree). Mark Cuban was about the only one who got it.

(I'd guess that the dragons of the Dragon's Den would do that better. ;) )
StrangerCoug wrote:Surprised that Parker guessed the 17th parallel for the $2,000 Korea clue. That would put the Koreas in the tropics, and from what I've seen of Korea, it's nowhere near tropical.
Actually, it wasn't that far off base, sure it was the farthest away from Korea geographically, but it's also the only other line of lattitude that I can think of that divided a country resulting in a war, in this case the 17th parallel was the division between North and South Vietnam.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I think Parker should've given Kristen a HAH!-hahhh when he rebounded Nelson from her John.
Flipping between Volga and St Lawrence for FJ. Knew Volga was longer but wasn't sure if it flowed into Caspian, or a northern sea.also realized, wasn't sure if the St Lawrence flowed to Atlantic or the Great Lakes! Decided to go with Volga based on its Q factor.
JFanForever wrote:I got lucky on FJ just now. I'm not good with rivers. I had no confidence in the Volga, I just threw it out there and when Alex said it, I was shocked.
Wait, you mean leaving it blank when you're not sure isn't the best strategy?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Flipping between Volga and St Lawrence for FJ. Knew Volga was longer but wasn't sure if it flowed into Caspian, or a northern sea.also realized, wasn't sure if the St Lawrence flowed to Atlantic or the Great Lakes! Decided to go with Volga based on its Q factor.
Brain-freeze. Then at the last moment, I WAGged the Dneiper. Oops.

Agggron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Agggron »

Hmm...well, I don't think I've ever started off this horribly. 0 right, 1 wrong before the break. :cry:

As far as FJ went, I knew what the clue was going for, and my first thought was the Volga River since I knew it was near the Caspian Sea, but I honestly thought the Volga emptied into the Black Sea. That led to a last second switch to...the Nile. Don't ask. :?

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kristin um played um well in spots to um get herself one victory away from um the TOC. Patrick Morrison knows his fate one way or the other. The rest of us will have to wait until Monday to see if he is still above the alternate slot.

Yes, John before Nelson in Rockefeller was a good one. I thought I detected a few yells of 38th tonight.

Did Alex say Lori Grenier's name correctly. I heard it like Gray-ner and I think on Shark Tank it's more like Gray-near? Double Robert and no Mr. Wonderful? Kevin couldn't be bothered? Boooooh!

Another geography type FJ clue so soon? My poor percentage for the week goes down to 40 after being at 100 when Tuesday was done. Nile? Amazon? Direction? Draining? I don't know. For no good reason I decided to make my guess domestic and went Mississippi over Missouri. I'm with the show players in not ending the week on a good note.

Naturally tonight I went 4/4 in Latin Legalese. I'll say nothing else to prevent spoiling a previous game this week.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Although he won one more, the lowest pre-doubled 3-timer I know of is Sid Moore, Jr., who entered his fourth game with $5,199. And there were a few 4-timers in the 16k range, including Sid. And then Donald Burgo's $26,180 over five games is still a record, ducking under half of Paul Nelson's total.

Had the right drainage point, but the Ural. If I'd thought harder about rivers in that vicinity, I might have gotten the Volga.

When Parker misidentified Sue Grafton's PI, I thought of ComingUpMilhouse.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Begins and Ends with O and "Be", but got only $1000 in Power Players and 0/5'd Korean War. $1600 was overvalued there, though — I didn't risk going for Pyongyang/Seoul since again, binary decision.

Anyone else thrown by the wording of Shark Tank for $1600? I had no idea what they were asking for there. His name? Something else?

I had honestly NHO Shark Tank until a couple friends pointed out that they appeared on an alternate ending of Wheel the other day.

Not even a guess on FJ!

Just as an aside — wasn't there someone who won something like $599 in her first game then got third place in the next game?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Did Alex say Lori Grenier's name correctly. I heard it like Gray-ner and I think on Shark Tank it's more like Gray-near? Double Robert and no Mr. Wonderful? Kevin couldn't be bothered? Boooooh!
Seriously. They got Cuban to show up but not Mr. Wonderful? I wish Barbara had been there over Lori.

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Did anyone else shout at the TV over 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'?(And was there some comedian who once used 'Ignorance is no excuse for the law'?) I find it hard to believe anyone could miss that one.
I've been a bit underwhelmed by this week's games. Hoping for more...gettage of stuffness... next week.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe this is more interesting than I thought. First of all, it took me about 20 seconds to parse what they were looking for. Then I responded Missouri. I just looked it up, and the Missouri is 2,341 miles and the Volga is 2,294 miles. Given the inexact wording of the clue, why would Missouri not be correct? I'll argue that the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi is "inland" and it is a body of water, and therefore fits the clue. Someone care to disabuse me of this notion?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Maybe this is more interesting than I thought. First of all, it took me about 20 seconds to parse what they were looking for. Then I responded Missouri. I just looked it up, and the Missouri is 2,341 miles and the Volga is 2,294 miles. Given the inexact wording of the clue, why would Missouri not be correct? I'll argue that the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi is "inland" and it is a body of water, and therefore fits the clue. Someone care to disabuse me of this notion?
I would think that the Mississippi could not be considered "entirely inland", but I could be wrong.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:Maybe this is more interesting than I thought. First of all, it took me about 20 seconds to parse what they were looking for. Then I responded Missouri. I just looked it up, and the Missouri is 2,341 miles and the Volga is 2,294 miles. Given the inexact wording of the clue, why would Missouri not be correct? I'll argue that the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi is "inland" and it is a body of water, and therefore fits the clue. Someone care to disabuse me of this notion?
I'd say "body of water" would be a lake or "sea" (such as the Dead Sea). Otherwise, the question would be "what's the world's longest tributary?"

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote:Interesting FJ, not impossible if you just run through the list, but a cool question.

Champ had a great opportunity to lock up the game upon finding the last DD in the 2nd row, but made a useless wager. In FJ 3rd place threw away a win with her wager, but have pretty much given up on seeing logical wagers from most (not all) contestants.

The 2k clue in Korean War turned into guess a random number for all three players.
Not only did Frances throw away the game with a non-strategic FJ wager, but it was the second game in a row Kristin has won on a triple stumper because the 3rd place player did that. Kristin ought to be thanking her lucky stars for the wagering skills of her opponents.

And while she's at it she ought to say a word or two of thanks to still be champ after 3 wins and under $18K. I wonder if that is the record-low total for 3-game winners in the post-doubled-prize-money era.

And yep, none of the three seems to know anything about the 38th parallel, which is still watched over by several tens of thousands of U.S. military (including my niece a few years ago) and probably a comparable number of North Koreans on the othe side. History: another subject we are getting weaker in.

I also thought the FJ clue was an uncommonly cool one...one of those things I never thought about and had to think about for a minute. OK, immediately rule most of the world's major rivers: Mississippi, Amazon, Nile, on and on....wait a minute...think about large, enclosed bodies of waters, and the Caspian Sea came right to mind. My only trouble was Marktipling between Volga and Danube and I managed to get it right.

This game was the second in a row for me getting FJ right when all three contestants missed it. I also won the game from the imaginary fourth podium, with $5,200 in Lach Trash and a sole get in FJ.

Hope next week's games generate some better play. Recent games have not been the strongest.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Onairb wrote:Did anyone else shout at the TV over 'Ignorance of the law is no excuse'?(And was there some comedian who once used 'Ignorance is no excuse for the law'?) I find it hard to believe anyone could miss that one.
I've been a bit underwhelmed by this week's games. Hoping for more...gettage of stuffness... next week.
Well said! I love it!

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'd say "body of water" would be a lake or "sea" (such as the Dead Sea). Otherwise, the question would be "what's the world's longest tributary?"
Correct. Missouri is not correct because "drains into..." indicates a lake/sea/ocean/etc. (more of an end-point) while "is a tributary of..." indicates another river.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The wording of the clue was "whose outflow". And a river is considered a body of water. I still haven't heard a good refutation.

rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Well, time to make a rare appearance & say:

Lowest pre-doubled 3-day champion (who lost his fourth game): David Peterman, Season 3, Summer 1987: $7,300.

Lowest pre-doubled 4-day champions (who lost their fifth game): Sid Moore, Jr. (S17) $16,000
Marc Goldberg (S7) 16,301
Gary Palmer (S2) 18,400
Mark Stacy (S17) 18,500
Eric Schoeck (S2) 21,498
Alec Iorio (S5) 23,301
Melizza Zygmunt (S15) 23,599
Danny Greene (S2) 26,000
Jared Eisenstadt (S2) 26,098

Lowest post-doubled 3-day champions (who lost their fourth game): Laura Wimberley (S23) $23,999
Jessamine Price (S28) 26,803
Bronson Messer (S19) 29,599

(and of course that could change on Monday) 8-)

davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:The wording of the clue was "whose outflow". And a river is considered a body of water. I still haven't heard a good refutation.
You used the word "confluence" before...Is that "a body of water"? The body of water must be "entirely inland," not the point of meeting...

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

rmfromfla wrote:Well, time to make a rare appearance & say:

Lowest pre-doubled 3-day champion (who lost his fourth game): David Peterman, Season 3, Summer 1987: $7,300.

Lowest pre-doubled 4-day champions (who lost their fifth game): Sid Moore, Jr. (S17) $16,000
Marc Goldberg (S7) 16,301
Gary Palmer (S2) 18,400
Mark Stacy (S17) 18,500
Eric Schoeck (S2) 21,498
Alec Iorio (S5) 23,301
Melizza Zygmunt (S15) 23,599
Danny Greene (S2) 26,000
Jared Eisenstadt (S2) 26,098
Of these names, all the season two players and Zygmunt were in the TofC. She has the potential to be the second lowest winner in the TofC since February 1999, and will almost certainly be the lowest winner in the double dollar format to make the TofC if the wins MOnday.