SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

Post by Woof »

Since there's isn't one already...

I see that several people have answered Aviv for the 12 pointer today. There was a Biblical month named Abib that fits the description, but DoT was asking for Hebrew months, yes? And in the modern Hebrew calender, the month that Passover falls on is Nissan, not Abib. Or am I missing something?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: SHC Round 5 Instant Replay Thread {SPOILERS}

Post by hbomb1947 »

Woof wrote:Since there's isn't one already...

I see that several people have answered Aviv for the 12 pointer today. There was a Biblical month named Abib that fits the description, but DoT was asking for Hebrew months, yes? And in the modern Hebrew calender, the month that Passover falls on is Nissan, not Abib. Or am I missing something?
I smell a replacement question. I hedged my bets by putting both (nissan and aviv), but there was no one answer that fit the clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mitchparov
Worst Buzzer Player Ever

Post by mitchparov »

I did wonder if the question was meant to say that the month leant its name to a car...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Nissan is a car.

"This month in which Passover is celebrated and which lent its name to a city takes its name from the Hebrew word for spring."

I see what you did there. :)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Back in the alternate reality that is SHC, I just want to say thanks for the Doctor Who category today. My daughter and I have only recently discovered the good Doctor, and we have now worked our way through the past six seasons. I could never get into the show as a child, given the mediocre writing, interminable pacing, and under-funded FX. But the David Tennant and Matt Smith years have been a joy to watch.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

Okay, I know that Tom Baker is almost universally beloved as Best Doctor Ever by folks who watched the show prior to the Russell T Davies regenerations, but twice in one category? Really?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alamble wrote:Okay, I know that Tom Baker is almost universally beloved as Best Doctor Ever by folks who watched the show prior to the Russell T Davies regenerations, but twice in one category? Really?
Nope, it fits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac ... the_Doctor

Tom Baker
(Fourth Doctor)

Colin Baker
(Sixth Doctor)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alamble wrote:Okay, I know that Tom Baker is almost universally beloved as Best Doctor Ever by folks who watched the show prior to the Russell T Davies regenerations, but twice in one category? Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac ... the_Doctor

edit: boo. But hooray for my running the category without ever having seen an episode, and not even understanding it until I got "tenant"! Also, I got the second "baker" without totally understanding that clue. It was obviously between smith and baker, and I looked at the word bing, and decided it was a dessert made with bing cherries, for which the cherries are named. But it turns out it's actually a Chinese flatbread!
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

Two very brutal sets of questions today (for me, of course)...

I watched only one episode of Doctor Who and then read a Wiki article on series. The only Doctor I was able to recall was David Tennant. So I spent half an hour on figuring out "typical" surnames like Baker or Smith... McCoy was extra-difficult for me.

Hebrew words were much easier to guess. But my assumption on the fact that the first day of the year might be named after Aleph was wrong. However, reading Bulgakov helped much on the clue about Nisan.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the challenge. Many thanks to DoT!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Not only that -- until we got to Tennant -- I figured it was just answers of names associated with TV doctors -- McCoy and Smith, after all...

But that Hebrew category! Oh the pain, the pain......
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
Ivan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Ivan »

OMG! Only now I realised that Aviv, not Nisan was an intended answer for a 12-pointer. After reading Bulgakov's masterpiece "The Master and Margarita" three times I learnt for the rest of my life that Passover takes place in Nisan. But I have never heard about the second name of the month. Rrrrrrgh...
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Damn, I wimped out on 'kippur,' despite knowing that was the day of atonement. I reviewed the High Holy Days after I got the Call, because I was originally set to air during October (Trebek's injury changed that).
The Aviv/Nissan one confused me, so I clammed. Good to know it was the question and not me.

Oh, and I LOVE Doctor Who, so that category rocked.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Not only that -- until we got to Tennant -- I figured it was just answers of names associated with TV doctors -- McCoy and Smith, after all...
Same here.

Guess it's a good thing I chickened out and clammed instead of going with Nisan. I couldn't think of a (real life) city to go with it, and didn't want to risk taking the neg.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Not only that -- until we got to Tennant -- I figured it was just answers of names associated with TV doctors -- McCoy and Smith, after all...
Same here.

Guess it's a good thing I chickened out and clammed instead of going with Nisan. I couldn't think of a (real life) city to go with it, and didn't want to risk taking the neg.
I can't imagine Nissan would be negged, since it is the month in which Passover takes place. You will undoubtedly be eligible for the inevitable RQ.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
billiej

Post by billiej »

Ditto. And I still wasn't completely sure of the category until reading this thread.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

The Dr. Who category went surprisingly well for me, given that it is, by far, the most beloved SF franchise of which I am not a fan. The Hebrew category, OTOH...
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

hbomb1947 wrote:You will undoubtedly be eligible for the inevitable RQ.
Only if there's a city named for Nisan, I imagine.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:You will undoubtedly be eligible for the inevitable RQ.
Only if there's a city named for Nisan, I imagine.
Not at all.
If Passover takes place during Nisan, and only during Nisan, then certainly anyone who knows that but knows nothing about whether or not a city is named for Nisan shouldn't be penalized.
I knew from crosswords that Nisan was Passover month, but I also knew from Crosswords that Aviv was a month in their calender. Growing up Christian, I recognized Easter as being a holiday that could fall during one of two months; hoping Passover had the same possibility, I went with the month that I knew fit the city part of the question.
If Passover can occur during either Aviv or Nisan, then this question would go down in SHC history as the neggiest of baits ever!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

But that Hebrew category! Oh the pain, the pain......
Doc Baker was on Little House on the Prairie. I also got Smith and McCoy from their shows. I figured out tennant, but clammed on it because I have never seen Doctor Who. Figured Baker was the last one but stupidly clammed. Greater knowledge of Hebrew might have led me to chance those if I had a chance at a perfecto.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Suze wrote:Damn, I wimped out on 'kippur,' despite knowing that was the day of atonement. I reviewed the High Holy Days after I got the Call, because I was originally set to air during October (Trebek's injury changed that).
The Aviv/Nissan one confused me, so I clammed. Good to know it was the question and not me.

Oh, and I LOVE Doctor Who, so that category rocked.
How did his injury change the date of your show's airing? Did the taping schedule get changed, thus forcing someone to drop out and getting you bumped to a differant spot in the lineup?