Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6549, 2013-02-21

2013 Tournament of Champions semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Stephanie Jass, a history professor from Milan, Michigan
Colby Burnett, a high school world history teacher from Chicago, Illinois
Dan McShane, a bartender from West Islip, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Well, the young woman from NASA, Kristin Morgan, is relaxing for the next few days waiting to see which semi-final winners will join her next week in playing for $250,000. Today, it'll be Dan, Colby, or Stephanie. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! round. And now, we reveal the categories, starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE WIT OF OSCAR WILDE (4/5)
ORGANIZATIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HEAVY METAL HEROES (5/5)
"B" NICE (4/5)
NAMES IN AMERICAN LORE (5/5)
THE YEAR THAT WAS (5/5) (Alex: And in that category you must take the clues in order from top to bottom.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 13 R, 0 W
Colby: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $3,800
Colby: $1,400
Stephanie: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Stephanie Jass is a history teacher from Michigan who is responsible, I believe, for me having a certain notoriety on Twitter. What have you done to me?

Stephanie: When you tempted me to try to go all in on a Daily Double, as is your wont. Don't pretend. I may have in fact called you the devil.

Alex: Yeah.

Stephanie: Which may be a little harsh, I admit. I apologize for that. But a tempter to be sure. And so apparently the phrase "Alex Trebek you are the devil" was trending on Twitter for a while.

Alex: There's also a pitchfork associated with that.

Stephanie: I did bring you a pitchfork, assuming you don't already have one.

[Audience laughter, mixed with groans and applause]

Alex: Colby Burnett from Chicago is not only good at playing games like , he coaches kids who are pretty good at playing games like You coach a quiz bowl team?

Colby: I do. So I'm the coach at Fenwick High School, and you know, they started off the season dropping their first game, so they like, needed some help to try to get back in first place. And so another school went out and beat the team that beat us, and like he's like they said, "Oh, you've been on like you're my hero." And I said, "Well did you guys just beat this other school?" and he's like, "Yeah." No. No, kid. You're my hero.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Dan McShane from New York. He's a bartender who celebrated with a different kind of party when he won on our show.

Dan: Yeah, I wanted to throw a big party, but not the normal, you know, just like backyard barbecue or going to a bar, so, uh, I bought a pig. A dead one.

Alex: Oh, thank you.

Dan: Yeah.

Alex: Thank you, 'cause you were going in the wrong direction there.

[Laughter]

Dan: Yeah, I bought a pig, and uh, built a pit in my friend's backyard and we had a big pig roast, uh, over the summer once I got my check.

Alex: Alright. Stephanie, the devil is telling you to make the next selection.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Dan had $3,800, Colby had $3,000, and Stephanie was at $1,000. Colby wagered $600.

ORGANIZATIONS $600: The March of Dimes was established by FDR in 1938 to put an end to this disease

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"B" NICE $1000: Officially, it's the "B" in B.P.O.E.
(Stephanie: What is brotherhood?)
(Alex: The [*] and Protective Order of Elks.)

THE WIT OF OSCAR WILDE $800: This "is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $7,800
Colby: $5,600
Stephanie: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PSYCH! (-OLOGY) (5/5)
ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER (5/5)
ROYAL WEDDINGS (5/5)
DIRECTORS' BIG SCREEN FAREWELLS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER (4/5) (Kelly of the Clue Crew introduces the category. The Geneva facility where scientists are coming to understand the incredibly small building blocks of our world.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Colby: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: 9 R, 0 W
Dan: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Colby snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Dan had $7,800, Colby had $8,400, and Stephanie was at $6,200. Colby wagered $2,000.

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $1200: Dubuque, Iowa lies at the junction of 3 states: Iowa, Illinois, & the one
(Alex: You did some little geography there, a lot of traveling around.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Dan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Dan had $12,600, Colby had $18,000, and Stephanie was at $8,600. Dan wagered $2,600.

DIRECTORS' BIG SCREEN FAREWELLS $1600: His second & last talkie, 1931's "The Struggle"
(Alex: You had a choice between Charlie Chaplin and [*], and the correct response is [*]. Well done.)
[Applause]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER $800: The LHC tries to approximate the time when the universe was a hot, dense soup called a QGP, a quark-gluon this

DIRECTORS' BIG SCREEN FAREWELLS $400: The epic "A Passage to India"
(Alex: Oh, the marvelous [*].)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Colby: $22,000
Dan: $19,200
Stephanie: $10,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RUSSIAN HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Colby: Wager $16,401 to cover Dan.
Dan: You have to wager $2,001 to cover Stephanie's doubled score, but certainly no more than $8,599, so as to force Stephanie to be right to have a chance at winning.
Stephanie: Think about risking $5,000 or less, thereby beating Colby on the Triple Stumper (should Colby wager to cover Dan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Launched October 1, 1928, it was brought to a premature end in 1932 amid growing hunger

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $10,600 - $10,000 = $600 (What is Stalin's Modernzation Modernization Plan?) (3rd place: $10,000)
Dan: $19,200 - $2,801 = $16,399 (What is are the pogroms?) (2nd place: $10,000)
Colby: $22,000 + $16,401 = $38,401 (What is the 5-year plan?) (Finalist)
[after revealing Colby's response]
(Alex: the first of Stalin's [*]s.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Colby: $21,200, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Dan: $18,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Stephanie: $10,600, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $50,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Colby: 23/60 = .383
Dan: 20/59 = .339
Stephanie: 14/58 = .241
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HEAVY METAL HEROES $400: With his work on songs like "Hot for Teacher", some rank him as the greatest heavy metal guitarist
(Stephanie: Who is Van Halen?)
(Alex: Which one?)
(Stephanie: [*])

ORGANIZATIONS $800: We salute you if you know the woman seen here was the first female head of this organization

THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from CERN in Switzerland.) Visible matter accounts for only 4% of the universe; via the LHC scientists look for particles responsible for this type of matter and energy that make up the other 96%

THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from CERN in Switzerland.) In an accelerator, particles circulate in a vacuum tube kept in nearly circular orbits by many of the dipole type of these field-producing objects

THE LARGE HADRON COLLIDER $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew reports from CERN in Switzerland.) On July 4, 2012, researchers said they detected a signal with a mass of 125 to 126 billion electron volts that was likely the elusive boson named for this British physicist

ALMOST BEFORE & AFTER $1600: Legendary, perverse French nobleman who uses the surface of the ground to make his old-timey dwelling
[Laughter]
(Stephanie: What a house!)
(Alex: Don't knock it unless you've visited there.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
polio
benevolent
experience
Wisconsin
(D.W.) Griffith
plasma
David Lean
5-year plan
Eddie Van Halen
The Salvation Army
dark matter
magnets
(Peter) Higgs
Marquis de Sade House
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Colby played well from start to finish, was the only one to nail FJ, a deserving finalist.

Wagering was too passive on all the DD's.

Dr J:Royal Weddings :: Rosie Perez:Disasters? :D
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Russian History
Launched October 1, 1928, it was brought to a premature end in 1932 amid growing hunger.

Spoiler
What is the Five-Year Plan? Stephanie said Stalin's Modernization Plan; Dan said the pogroms.
Colby Burnett : $22,000+$16,401=$38,401...Finalist
Dan McShane: $19,200-$2,801=$16,399
Stephanie Jass: $10,600-$10,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
falsifieddocuments
Valued Contributor

Post by falsifieddocuments »

Sad to see both Dan and Stephanie go, but I'm glad Chicago will be represented in the finals.

I suspect today's Final will be similar to Tuesday's, where pretty much everyone knows what they're looking for but some of us can't remember the name. I managed to come up with the Five-Year Plan after about 10 seconds, but I wasn't totally sure because I couldn't shake the feeling that that was Mao, not Stalin. Turns out it was both.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

The judges actually deliberated a good five minutes (or more? Seemed like an eternity...) about my answer. This was a shock to me, as I knew it was a Hail Mary, akin to Pat Quinn's "Jesus in Rio" answer. I didn't understand why we were stopped, then Maggie said, "they're checking your answer" so I had this crazy moment of hope, which was crushed when I saw the judge on the red phone give a thumbs down. Of course, Colby got it right, so it was moot anyway!
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I'm gonna miss ya, Steph, but nice job taking one last jab at Alex. :mrgreen:

I thought these were tough boards. As for FJ!, it was familiar, but the name wasn't going to come to me. I'm guessing that in the battle of the history teachers, we hit one person's specialty and not the other ;)

Congrats to Colby- I've been very impressed at his caliber of play with the big guns and think he'll do great in the finals.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Hmmm, and here I thought Dr. J's new avatar would be Alex with the aforementioned pitchfork ... (I think I like this one better though ;) )

(Thought 5 year plan, but ruled it out because, if memory serves, the timeline was 5 years (or close enough). Went with "Great Leap Forward" even though I was pretty sure that was China.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never heard of a 5-Year Plan, so my response was, "What is ... uhhhhhh?"
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I think the pogrom plan may have worked out had they just given it six more months.
I'm smart and I want respect.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I have heard the *expression* "The Five Year Plan", but I've never really had any idea what it was.

So in a sense, I don't feel bad for missing FJ. I mean, I feel bad in the sense that there's a piece of history I don't know, but at least I didn't have one of those frustrating "Of course!" moments.

Had I known that "the five year plan" was something from Russian or Soviet history, then perhaps the hints along the lines of "started in 1928... ended prematurely in 1932" would have given it to me.

I thought the answer was going to be something along the lines of "The [insert proper name] experiment" or "The [insert proper name] commune" or something like that. I literally wrote down on my paper at home, "The something commune", because anything's better than leaving it blank, right?

I did much better in the DJ round than I had done throughout the prior games of this tournament. I'm curious as to whether that was true for other viewers. In a way, I'm almost hoping it *wasn't* -- subjectively, I felt as though tonight I was doing a better job concentrating and staying "on" (although obviously it could just be that the material was in fact slightly easier).
PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

An Eisenstein question and a Russian history final? Oh yes, now I am being taunted.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

A Russian History FJ is sure to make me happy.

That was an awesome game, three superstar players.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Which would be worse: leaving FJ blank or writing "What is Sputnik?"? Obviously I knew it wasn't correct, but with the word "launched" in there I couldn't get it out of my mind, and I had absolutely nothing else even remotely plausible to write down. I figure that would have at least gotten a pretty decent laugh in the studio.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

dhkendall wrote:Hmmm, and here I thought Dr. J's new avatar would be Alex with the aforementioned pitchfork ... (I think I like this one better though ;) )

(Thought 5 year plan, but ruled it out because, if memory serves, the timeline was 5 years (or close enough). Went with "Great Leap Forward" even though I was pretty sure that was China.)
I was waffling on 5 year plan as well. I wasn't sure if the bit about being cancelled early was supposed to lead me to a much longer program of some sort. But not having anything better, I stuck with it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:Never heard of a 5-Year Plan, so my response was, "What is ... uhhhhhh?"
Me too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was totally stumped when I saw the FJ answer, then couldn't remember the category. When I saw it was about Russia and that it lasted four years but was cut short, the Five Year Plan came to mind. My only problem was I thought it had some more formal name, but went with what I had and got lucky.

Nice bets by all three, did what they needed to do to win. Congrats to Colby.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Yes, we don't see too many discussions about horrible wagering in the ToC, do we?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Lefty wrote:I think the pogrom plan may have worked out had they just given it six more months.
[This remark caused appreciative laughter]
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Damn it, I second-guessed myself >< Thought of "five-year plan", but thought that had to do with China, not Russia, so ended up clamming on that.