Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CyrusChan »

And i thought i knew college mascots and locations, until.... today. :(
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
someday wrote:I, too, said "erg" but was tickled to hear Alex say the word "rad." Would have been beyond awesome if right afterward he'd said "San Dimas High School Football RULES!!"

Love hearing about these many multiple-mascoted schools. UCSB -- my alma mater -- is the Gauchos. Notable alumni: Jim Rome, Brian Shaw. I believe the "Gaucho" is unnamed, however, and at any rate is highly unlikely to ever be "Jeopardy!" clue material.

When my husband got home, I told him the FJ clue and was shocked when he didn't know it.
According to google, apparently his name is Ole (see how educational this has been :)).

I obviously would've preferred a multiple-mascot question on Rameses (I actually know his origin story!), but you can't get lucky all the time on Jeopardy!.
Did you ever share your story about your ID? I'd love to hear it and it was a joy watching your run! :D All the best luck and how ironic animals came out tonight! Boo that!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Sara was the returning champion in our "Jeopardy Boot Camp" on Oct. 29. I knew in advance that she was going to win the three games after the ToC, and it was a pleasure getting to see her play those three games. (Also a pleasure meeting her and everyone else in our group.) I watched this game from the contestants' section, just before hearing, "Ilene! Drew! You're up!"

I''ll be crossing my fingers for you to make it into the ToC, Sara!
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

I know I'm late to the party here, but is no one going to mention Rhode Island School of Design's mascot?! I have to do it? I cannot (nor should I) adequately describe it, but you'll get a hint if you know that their cheer is Go Nads! :lol: I'd post a pic, but I think it might be better if y'all did your own googling on this one. (Ok, there's a serious double entendre there, but I'll let it go. Crap, I did it again...)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

RISD used to have the absolute *best* Halloween costumes!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Other fun mascot facts:

LSU's tiger is called Mike -- because they have one in his cage to broadcast the roars around the stadium. His actual habitat is world-class; they use the cage now only for football games.
I remember seeing Mike IV during a visit to the LSU campus in the latter half of the 70s. I wasn't college age yet. My family just lived in Baton Rouge at the time and we were rubbernecking. Mike's living quarters seemed more like a jail cell to me than anything else. And I don't think he had anywhere to retreat to if he got tired of being stared at. I'm glad to hear they've set his successors up in style since then.
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:TCU was the only SWC school without a live mascot -- horned frogs being about 6 inches long, at most. So they invented a character called Super Frog. His original outfit was designed by Jim Henson - -who else would you get to dress a frog?
Julia Child?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
someday wrote:I believe the "Gaucho" is unnamed ...
According to google, apparently his name is Ole ...
Why would they give a Gaucho a Swedish name?
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Budphrey wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
someday wrote:I believe the "Gaucho" is unnamed ...
According to google, apparently his name is Ole ...
Why would they give a Gaucho a Swedish name?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ole is Norwegian, not Swedish. Uff da!
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

billy pilgrim wrote:Sara congrats on a good run. You were a worthy competitor. Bad luck tonight.
I assume you are at the KBS, since there is no other biological research going on in hickory corners that i know of. I live on Gull Lake and every time i see that boat landing I think 'That cereal thing was a pretty good idea'. I'm sure you know it's the time for the "frog survey'.I make the same joke every year and nobody laughs. The frog survey seems pretty dumb. Isn't the answer always ribbit?
Apparently I missed this before, but yeah, I'm at KBS. Cool to see someone else from the area here! I was a little surprised to find out prior to taping that contestant coordinator Robert knew where Hickory Corners was. Apparently he's from Battle Creek.

Oh, and frogs only say ribbit on the west coast. :)

Linear Gnome wrote:Sara was the returning champion in our "Jeopardy Boot Camp" on Oct. 29. I knew in advance that she was going to win the three games after the ToC, and it was a pleasure getting to see her play those three games. (Also a pleasure meeting her and everyone else in our group.) I watched this game from the contestants' section, just before hearing, "Ilene! Drew! You're up!"

I''ll be crossing my fingers for you to make it into the ToC, Sara!
Thanks Ilene! Glad to see other people from taping here!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Dr. J wrote:I know I'm late to the party here, but is no one going to mention Rhode Island School of Design's mascot?! I have to do it? I cannot (nor should I) adequately describe it, but you'll get a hint if you know that their cheer is Go Nads! :lol: I'd post a pic, but I think it might be better if y'all did your own googling on this one. (Ok, there's a serious double entendre there, but I'll let it go. Crap, I did it again...)
Somebody posted a video here, I think, of the RISD mascot. I seem to recall that hockey was involved...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Oh, and frogs only say ribbit on the west coast. :)
What do they say in your neck of the woods? I'm pretty sure they said ribbit in Tulsa. In Baton Rouge, I don't recall, but those were some serious frogs. They sounded like ducks more than anything else. They quacked! In France, I am told they say, "S'il vous plaît! J'ai des enfants."
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

http://www.frog-shots.com/Who_says_RIBBIT_.html

Around here, the main ones I hear are super loud peeps (spring peepers), trills (gray treefrogs), something that sounds like a string being plucked (green frogs), and however you want to transcribe bullfrog calls (gr-rum, according to one website).
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:http://www.frog-shots.com/Who_says_RIBBIT_.html

Around here, the main ones I hear are super loud peeps (spring peepers), trills (gray treefrogs), something that sounds like a string being plucked (green frogs), and however you want to transcribe bullfrog calls (gr-rum, according to one website).
I heard on the radio the other day you can actually get a CD from the DNR with all the sounds to aid in identification. And for the record I do participate in the frog survey with a group of neighbors. There is drinking involved, so I don't swear an oath as to the accuracy. Yeah it's us drinking, not the frogs- as far as we know.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

billy pilgrim wrote:Yeah it's us drinking, not the frogs- as far as we know.
Oh really now?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

reddpen wrote:Whoever said they've never seen P&R (me either, but my daughter raves about it) or Downton Abbey, you're in for a treat with the latter.
A month later I've now seen one episode of P&R. One was enough as the show is not for me. It was close to 30 hours worth of viewing, but I've now seen all three seasons of Downton Abbey. Even though my TV mentality can go down to Splash, anything with Gordon Ramsay, 1600 Penn, The Neighbors, Joe Schmo and Legit I still found the PBS show compelling viewing well worth the time.

Downton Abbey has a great look with superb acting and so many memorable characters. I disagree with some of the character turns whether the fault of the writer or the actors who wanted off the show. Being able to understand 95% of what was said without subtitles was a higher percentage than I expected even though English was being spoken.

Not that I know anything about drinking games, but if there was one for each time the Dowager Countess shows up in a different outfit then the players would be passed out on the floor. Betty White is an American treasure for all her years of work even past age 90. Maggie Smith as a British counterpart is younger, but her work on the show should not be missed.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Betty White is an American treasure for all her years of work even past age 90. Maggie Smith as a British counterpart is younger, but her work on the show should not be missed.
T

I love Betty White...but she's no Maggie Smith! If a parallel is necessary, one could make a case for Jessica Tandy as a great American theater actress who had a popular success late in life.