Thursday, March 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, March 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

bpmod wrote:And, oh yeah! That John Lennon clue should have been 5 cents. But a TS?!? That had me yelling at my screen.

Brian
For me, that clue was one that I didn't "know" with a capital K, but I was able to figure it out quickly.

The name of the actor rang no bells at all. At first, I thought, "Maybe 'Nowhere Boy' is the title of a song by somebody." I also thought: Only certain music superstars are iconic enough that people would bother making movies or TV shows about their *teenage* years. Maybe Johnny Cash, maybe the Beatles, not many others. AHA! There was a Beatles song called "Nowhere MAN." John Lennon it is. (I think I can imagine his voice singing it, and not McCartney. Plus, it was usually Lennon writing the gloomy or pessimistic ones.)
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

Incidentally, regarding FJ, I didn't think about this until long after watching the episode, but it occurred to me later that Belize and Costa Rica are the only two Central American countries that I happen to know have been visited by people I went to school with.

Obviously that doesn't prove anything, but as somebody living a middle-class North American lifestyle, I guess it's not a huge surprise that there's some overlap between "Central American countries visited by people I know" and "Central American countries that have been relatively politically stable for the past several decades."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

skullturf wrote:
bpmod wrote:And, oh yeah! That John Lennon clue should have been 5 cents. But a TS?!? That had me yelling at my screen.

Brian
For me, that clue was one that I didn't "know" with a capital K, but I was able to figure it out quickly.

The name of the actor rang no bells at all. At first, I thought, "Maybe 'Nowhere Boy' is the title of a song by somebody." I also thought: Only certain music superstars are iconic enough that people would bother making movies or TV shows about their *teenage* years. Maybe Johnny Cash, maybe the Beatles, not many others. AHA! There was a Beatles song called "Nowhere MAN." John Lennon it is. (I think I can imagine his voice singing it, and not McCartney. Plus, it was usually Lennon writing the gloomy or pessimistic ones.)
Exactly. I had never heard of either the actor or the movie, but it didn't take me as many steps to make the connection between Nowhere Boy and Nowhere Man. BING! John Lennon it is!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
skullturf wrote:

Brian

Exactly. I had never heard of either the actor or the movie, but it didn't take me as many steps to make the connection between Nowhere Boy and Nowhere Man. BING! John Lennon it is!

Brian
How'd you do that? (Have your Beatles avatar come up with this post, that is)? ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:How'd you do that? (Have your Beatles avatar come up with this post, that is)? ;)
I may be good, but... I only wish that were intentional (and that I could do it at will).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote:Incidentally, regarding FJ, I didn't think about this until long after watching the episode, but it occurred to me later that Belize and Costa Rica are the only two Central American countries that I happen to know have been visited by people I went to school with.

Obviously that doesn't prove anything, but as somebody living a middle-class North American lifestyle, I guess it's not a huge surprise that there's some overlap between "Central American countries visited by people I know" and "Central American countries that have been relatively politically stable for the past several decades."
When I was in college a history professor was leading a trip to Costa Rica. I went to an organizational meeting and he stressed how calm Costa Rica was compared to its neighbors. This was in the late 1980s, when Nicaragua and El Salvador were hot spots. The trip never took place as he didn't get enough people to sign up. Maybe if the trip had happened, I'd have gotten FJ right.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

skullturf wrote:

Brian
I said John Lennon immediately, but have no idea why. It only struck me a few seconds later there's a Beatles song called "Nowhere Man." I actually think the word "lad" led me to the answer more than anything else.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Golf wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Nice get by Drew to get Einstein/Switzerland. Glad that was not the FJ clue.
Would think everybody here has seen Good Will Hunting. Einstein was described by the professor as "it was a Swiss patent clerk..."
I haven't seen it, and didn't know the answer.
skullturf

Post by skullturf »

I saw Good Will Hunting, but it was a long time ago. I knew Albert Einstein and Mileva Maric were married in Switzerland (or at least I was confident enough to say "What is Switzerland?" while watching at home), just because of reading about Einstein's life, and knowing that he and Maric were students together at the ETH in Zurich (I believe). I think she might have been Serbian or from somewhere near there.

I have a math degree, and have probably done more reading than the average person on the lives of "celebrity" physicists like Einstein, Feynman, etc.
jmenjes
Figment of Imagination

Post by jmenjes »

I'm one more person who hasn't seen Good Will Hunting (then again, I'm really not much of a movie buff to begin with...the last time I went to a movie theater was the opening weekend of Up). I did manage to run everything else in that category, though.

And I'm still kicking myself mentally for not getting the John Lennon clue.
"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw the movie, but it was a long time ago and the only line I remember was "How do you like them apples?'. I couldn't tell you anything about the plot.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Just pointing out one of several ways to know the answer to that clue. Even if you didn't really know anything about Einstein, if you have seen that movie then you were exposed to the proper knowledge. I know some stuff about Einstein, but it was that single quote that I drew on to answer this clue.

For some reason, I love being able to answer classical trivia questions solely from movie lines. Once there was the question, "A bird will fall frozen dead from a _____ before it feels sorry for itself" The Master Chief used that quote in the movie G.I. Jane. Or what is the drug atropine used for? The very same drug Nicolas Cage used to survive at the end of The Rock.
TryphonTournesol
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by TryphonTournesol »

In my quiz bowl days, getting a serious question based on knowledge of something from pop culture in that way was known as "fraud." I was always better at pop culture than at academic, so it always amused me to be able to beat better players to the buzzer on a question that I had no real business knowing before them.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

I actually amazed myself by not only getting FJ! correct but providing an answer that none of the players had written down. I tried visualizing a map of Central America and started naming off countries like Nicaragua, Honduras...then Belize popped into my head. For some reason I always seem to get Puerto Rico and Costa Rica mixed up and then I forget which one is a country.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

TryphonTournesol wrote:In my quiz bowl days, getting a serious question based on knowledge of something from pop culture in that way was known as "fraud." I was always better at pop culture than at academic, so it always amused me to be able to beat better players to the buzzer on a question that I had no real business knowing before them.
Heck, the purists call "fraud" if you answer a science question based on your knowledge of Greek and Latin word roots.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I know Ganesh from The Simpsons.