Friday, March 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

ACW wrote:Yellowlees...what a name.
It anagrams to "Well! Ole! Yes!"
dhkendall wrote:After Alex ruled all three of them wrong, and started talking about the projects that the brother and sister were nominated for, I started to feel good about myself, considering The Oscars is a notorious weak spot of mine. Jane Fonda! Yes! And ... *facepalm* dammit, *Peter* Fonda, not Henry!

Oh well, the fact that I came so close, and closer than the contestants, in a category I'm bad in, made up for it.
I guess you should have just written down "The Fondas", then you could have at least considered giving yourself credit. Too bad none of the players gave that response, so we could know for sure whether or not the judges would have allowed it. Lisa may be right that the "be careful" warning was to make sure the players gave full names, but if so, it clearly went over Drew's head, since he wrote down "The Coppolas". Surely there is some precedent for a clue of this nature, where a FJ asks for two people, and they share the same last name. Hopefully one of our Archive experts (seaborgium? cheezguyty?) can cite some examples of rulings one way or the other.

I first wrote down "Who are Warren Beatty and "...what the heck is his sister's name? Debbie Reynolds? That doesn't sound right, but nothing else was coming to me, so I had that name about 3/4 written down when the Fondas popped into my head, so with about 5 or 6 seconds left in the Think! music, I scratched out what I had and scribbled down "Peter + Jane Fonda", finishing just in the nick of time. It turns out that Debbie Reynolds was born just two years before Shirley MacLaine, so she was far from the worst guess I could have thrown out for Beatty's sis, especially considering I know absolutely nothing about her. (other than the fact that she is Carrie Fisher's mother, a fact that was eluding me during this particular moment.)
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

I got the FJ right away, and today's Jepopardy! episode hasn't even aired in Los Angeles yet. Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine weren't even in the running.

Personally, I went with Jane and Peter although I wasn't positive. (I learned the winners only) Had I been on the show, I would have been irate had I written that wench's name down only to find out it was not correct.[/quote]

By "wench" you mean Jane Fonda,correct? Jane Fonda and Shirley MacLaine have each had their share of detractors due to actions in their personal lives. Just a few weeks ago, 60 Minutes ran (or perhaps reran) a scathing segment detailing MacLaine's marital ups and downs as well as her highly unconventional and problematic mothering of her daughter Sachi Parker, who now is rearing children of her own. Meanwhile, Ms. Fonda's attempts to explain and apologize for her trip to Hanoi during the Vietnam War are well-documented.
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I wouldn't have gotten FJ! in a million years. Even if you'd said "Fonda", I'd have said, "Wait, there's more than one Fonda?"
You're kidding, right? I can understand you not knowing some of the things that Jeopardy! items have referenced. However,even if some people have ever heard of her brother Peter Fonda, almost everyone over a certain age knows that Jane Fonda had a very famous father, Henry Fonda. Therefore, one would have to think of 2 out of the 3 father-children acting Fondas. (I'm leaving Bridget Fonda out of this category.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

lemonsun wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I wouldn't have gotten FJ! in a million years. Even if you'd said "Fonda", I'd have said, "Wait, there's more than one Fonda?"
You're kidding, right? I can understand you not knowing some of the things that Jeopardy! items have referenced. However,even if some people have ever heard of her brother Peter Fonda, almost everyone over a certain age knows that Jane Fonda had a very famous father, Henry Fonda. Therefore, one would have to think of 2 out of the 3 father-children acting Fondas. (I'm leaving Bridget Fonda out of this category.)
Henry Fonda was before his time.
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

jeff6286 wrote:
lemonsun wrote:
Henry Fonda was before his time.
Mmmmmm, okay. :roll:
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I haven't been here very long, but... that's a troll act, right? I mean, is anyone really buying a big Jeopardy fan who does little more than gripe about their ignorance of multiple clues/categories a night and professes to not even have a guess for pretty much any FJ?
alamble

Post by alamble »

jeff6286 wrote: I guess you should have just written down "The Fondas", then you could have at least considered giving yourself credit. Too bad none of the players gave that response, so we could know for sure whether or not the judges would have allowed it. Lisa may be right that the "be careful" warning was to make sure the players gave full names, but if so, it clearly went over Drew's head, since he wrote down "The Coppolas". Surely there is some precedent for a clue of this nature, where a FJ asks for two people, and they share the same last name.
Even if Drew's guess had been technically correct, the judges would have had to rule him wrong, as Francis Ford Coppola's sister has always been credited under her married name - Talia Shire - for her acting roles. It's not a terrible guess, at least.
Winnipeg begins with victory? Huh?
Spell it out, Bobby. W-I-N-N-I-P-E-G.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alamble wrote:
Oh, duh. (To be fair, Dhkendall was thrown by the clue, too.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alamble wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: I guess you should have just written down "The Fondas", then you could have at least considered giving yourself credit. Too bad none of the players gave that response, so we could know for sure whether or not the judges would have allowed it. Lisa may be right that the "be careful" warning was to make sure the players gave full names, but if so, it clearly went over Drew's head, since he wrote down "The Coppolas". Surely there is some precedent for a clue of this nature, where a FJ asks for two people, and they share the same last name.
Even if Drew's guess had been technically correct, the judges would have had to rule him wrong, as Francis Ford Coppola's sister has always been credited under her married name - Talia Shire - for her acting roles. It's not a terrible guess, at least.
You can't spell "winning" without "Winnipeg!"

... unless you misspell "winning".

... Or "Winnipeg".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Like A.A. Milne used to say, you can't spell Winnie the Pooh without "win"...or "poo".

Okay, maybe it's just me that says that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And you can't spell my name without "boob", or a word that means both a rooster and the male genitalia.
Yellowlees

Post by Yellowlees »

Actually, my real name is "J. Yellowlees Douglas." I don't have a legal first name, but "Yellowlees" gets mangled so frequently that I resorted to Jane.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Leander wrote:Yellowlees could have a career impersonating Kathleen Turner.
Actually, I thought she resembled Kristen Stewart, but the voice is pure Turner.
lisa0012 wrote:I'm usually not one to jump into wagering strategy, and there isn't a whole lot of analysis here, but Yellowlees clearly overbet and it cost her....

Edit: In rewriting her name, I googled her, and she actually has an impressive resume. Too bad she didn't get another day to talk about it.
Nothing against Drew — you clearly have to have a generous dollop of savvy to win four consecutive games on Jeopardy! — but I would like to have seen Yellowlees win at least a game, just so Johnny and Alex would have to say her name repeatedly over several days. I have to side with TPH on that particular point. I'm wondering if it's a variant of "Eloise" or something like that.

She was one of those occasional FJ! contestants for whom a zero bet was in the optimal range. I have increasingly been an advocate of the "hunker" bet (i.e. choosing strategically to bet too small to equal the first-place player's pre-FJ! total) for second- or third-place players in certain circumstances.

Edited to add: What timing! I get to be the first one to welcome you to the board. Congrats on an impressive showing with a couple of really nice gets on tough clues.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Budphrey wrote:I'm wondering if it's a variant of "Eloise" or something like that.
In the interview segment on the show, she said that it was not usually a first name, but a family name.
She was one of those occasional FJ! contestants for whom a zero bet was in the optimal range. I have increasingly been an advocate of the "hunker" bet (i.e. choosing strategically to bet too small to equal the first-place player's pre-FJ! total) for second- or third-place players in certain circumstances.
I thought this too, afterwards. Because of the expected wagers of Drew and Mike, it would have been pretty much impossible for her to win if either of them had been right even if she'd bet it all, so why not go the other way with it? Betting zero on the triple stumper (or sole get by her) would have been risky on the chance that Mike had decided to play a similar strategy (it would have been too risky for Drew to do so), and if it hadn't worked would have looked crazy (not to mention negative since it's essentially betting against yourself), but it definitely would not have been the worst play there.
Yellowlees

Post by Yellowlees »

Incidentally, the thing that killed me on FJ on the show was that my god-mother, Maggie Smith, won Best Actress that year. So, of course, I remembered who bloody won the Oscars that year, not who she beat.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Budphrey wrote: I would like to have seen Yellowlees win at least a game, just so Johnny and Alex would have to say her name repeatedly over several days.
I was hoping for a couple dozen wins or so just to see what Letterman would do with it! :)

Got FJ on a best-guess, but what really psyched me was my J! board-- 29/30! (Darn "Revolution." Soccer's not a real sport anyway.)
Last edited by Paucle on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:All I could come up with for FJ were Beatty and MacLaine, and I was pretty sure that was wrong. Had no idea Peter Fonda had ever been nominated for screenwriting and didn't realize that Jane had been nominated before Klute.
Ditto
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yellowlees wrote:my god-mother, Maggie Smith
That alone is complete awesomeness. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TryphonTournesol wrote:I haven't been here very long, but... that's a troll act, right? I mean, is anyone really buying a big Jeopardy fan who does little more than gripe about their ignorance of multiple clues/categories a night and professes to not even have a guess for pretty much any FJ?
We really aren't sure if he is for real or not. Actually, he does pretty well on FJ, he just doesn't write anything down even if he has the right question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yellowlees wrote:Actually, my real name is "J. Yellowlees Douglas." I don't have a legal first name, but "Yellowlees" gets mangled so frequently that I resorted to Jane.
Welcome to the boards, Yellowlees. Congrats on making the show!!!!!

Now I cross off "Talk to someone named Yellowlees" off my bucket list.