Wednesday, March 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6563, 2013-03-13

Drew Horwood game 7.

CONTESTANTS
David Czapka, a background investigator from Wayne, New Jersey
Jillian Mueller, an attorney from Washington, D.C.
Drew Horwood, a business analyst from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 6-day cash winnings total $107,998)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny, ladies and gentlemen. Our champion, Drew, is turning into the Energizer Bunny, isn't he? He just keeps going and going and going. Who will yank his batteries away from him today? Will it be Jillian or David? Or will Drew prevail once again? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. One Daily Double coming up in one of these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REPORTING FROM THE STATE CAPITAL (4/5) (Alex: You identify the capital for us.)
ODE TO A TV SHOW (4/5)
TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANIMAL SIMILES (5/5)
JUST DRIVE! (5/5)
FOUND IN GERMANY (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Drew: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
David: 6 R, 0 W
Jillian: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Drew: $4,200
David: $1,600
Jillian: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: David Czapka is from Wayne, New Jersey. He is a background investigator, and as part of his job, once stood in a room with how much cash?

David: $100 billion.

Alex: How much space does that take up, and what were the denominations of the bills?

David: I wish I knew. I didn't take any souvenirs with me, unfortunately, but I can tell you it was a very, very large room. You'd be surprised.

Alex: But you don't know what the denominations--was it $20s, $50s, $100s?

David: I was hoping $100s, but unfortunately, I didn't get that close.

Alex: Why were you there?

David: I can't really go into much detail 'cause I do have to protect the privacy of the people I investigate, but it was pretty interesting.

Alex: Well, I hope that was government money, because $100 billion sounds like a lot of dough.

David: Awful lot.

Alex: Could be my cousin's, but...

[Laughter]

Alex: Jillian Mueller is an attorney from Washington, D.C., recently married, but you haven't had time to have a honeymoon yet.

Jillian: No, unfortunately. I didn't get very much time off from work, so we've been married 17 days, and my husband, David, and I are hoping we'll be able to take a better trip soon.

Alex: Okay. So, he's in the audience today, and he's hoping you're gonna win this game--

Jillian: I think he is.

Alex: --and dethrone Drew--

Jillian: We'll see.

Alex: --so that you can afford a better honeymoon. All right.

Alex: Drew is our champion. I have not noticed any kind of speech impediment, and I say that because you bit off a good part of your tongue when you were a little boy.

Drew: Yes, I did. I was in second grade, and I was on the monkey bars, and I made a stupid decision to try to lower myself down through one of the holes, and the bar hit my chin, and I bit off the last inch of my tongue.

Alex: Ooh. And they stitched it back on?

Drew: They stitched it back on. There's no real scar or anything left, but I couldn't eat solid food for a month.

Alex: Oh... that would hurt more than the biting off the tongue, I'm sure.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Drew had $5,000, Jillian had $200, and David was at $1,600. Drew wagered $1,500.

TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR $1000: An Army general, never president:
1943 & 1947
(Drew: Who is... MacArthur?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REPORTING FROM THE STATE CAPITAL $800: From Beehive House, built in the 1850s--somehow I expected it to be round
(Alex: The Beehive State is Utah. Capital--[*].)

ODE TO A TV SHOW $600: Sing the praises of Artie Abrams / Sing out to the sky! / For Lord knows you shan't be alone / Singing in McKinley High

FOUND IN GERMANY $800: This former Berlin Wall checkpoint, where you can see instruments of escape used by East Germans
(Drew: What is the Brandenburg Gate?)

FOUND IN GERMANY $1000: This concentration camp site just north of Munich

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Drew: $4,500
David: $3,200
Jillian: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLAYWRIGHTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIEMAKERS (5/5)
SURGERY (5/5)
GRAMMY WINNERS (5/5)
"OB"-SESSIVE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Drew: 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
David: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jillian: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Drew snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Drew had $5,300, Jillian had $3,200, and David was at $3,200. Drew wagered $1,300.

PLAYWRIGHTS $1200: Before his first success with "Come Blow Your Horn", he wrote TV comedy for "Your Show of Shows" & "The Phil Silvers Show"
(Drew: Who is... Eugene O'Neill?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Drew who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Drew had $9,200, Jillian had $3,200, and David was at $7,200. Drew wagered $1,500.

LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: Between 1833 & 1855, this general led Mexico 11 different times & was responsible for losing much land to the U.S.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLAYWRIGHTS $2000: In 1665 this French playwright's "Don Juan" had a brief run but wasn't seen again during his lifetime due to church pressure

LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY $800: In 1953 the last inmates left this French penal colony that held some 70,000 prisoners over its 100-year existence
(Drew: What is French Guiana?)

LATIN AMERICAN HISTORY $2000: In 2004 Martin Torrijos, son of former dictator Omar Torrijos, was elected president of this Central American country

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Drew: $16,300
David: $15,600
Jillian: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NEWSPAPERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Drew: Wager $14,901 to cover David. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $4,501.
David: Your score is within 4/5ths of Drew's, so wager between $1,401 (venusian) and $5,199 (martian), beating Drew's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Jillian's part.
Jillian: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by David, but if David decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The circulation of the Times of New York & London totals about 1/2 the "Times of" this place, largest of any English daily

FINAL SCORES
Jillian: $5,200 + $1,000 = $6,200 (What is India?) (2nd place: $2,000)
David: $15,600 - $10,399 = $5,201 (What is New Delhi?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Drew: $16,300 - $2 = $16,298 (What is Westminster?) (7-day champion: $124,296)
(Alex: [revealing Jillian's response] the Times of [*][/i], you are right--the daily circulation is 3.5 million.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Drew: $19,200, 27 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 2 DDs)
David: $15,600, 14 R, 0 W
Jillian: $5,200, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Drew: 27/61 = .443
David: 14/58 = .241
Jillian: 11/58 = .190
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR $400: A Soviet leader:
1987 & 1989
(Jillian: Who is Khrushchev?)

JUST DRIVE! $600: A special xenon light is used to check this, also said to be the essence of good comedy
(Drew: What is humor?)

MOVIEMAKERS $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew appears in a different top after passing through a set of doors.) The script supervisor's job is to spot errors in what's known as this consistent flow, like the mistake seen here

"OB"-SESSIVE $400: A real-life event that illustrates a moral principle is this type of "lesson"
(Jillian: What is objective?)

SURGERY $800: You'll look at least hours younger after a rhytidectomy, aka this cosmetic surgery
(Drew: What is a haircut?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
George Marshall
Salt Lake City
Glee
Checkpoint Charlie
Dachau
Neil Simon
(Antonio López de) Santa Anna
Molière
Devil's Island
Panama
India
(Mikhail) Gorbachev
timing
continuity
an object lesson
a facelift
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Newspapers
The circulation of the Times of New York & London totals about 1/2 the "Times of" this place, largest of any English daily.

Spoiler
What is India? David said New Delhi; Drew said Westminster.
Drew Horwood: $16,300-$2=$16,298...now a 7-day champion with $124,296
David Czapka: $15,600-$11,399=$5,201
Jillian Mueller: $5,200+$1,000=$6,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Anyone know if Jillian Mueller is related to the amazing Pam Mueller?
lizlackey
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lizlackey »

HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!

I know I haven't been around in a long long while, but I am coming to you live from David Czapka's viewing party! I have known this guy since middle school, and he was leaving a visit to my house when he got his email to audition, so I'm very excited!

Yes, we've already seen the show, and I'm very proud of him no matter what.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Come on, we all had the same thought: are Jillian and Pam related?
I had no misses or clams before the commercial break again. That's 3x in the last 10 games!
Stand and stare on a TV show about singing in a high school? REALLY? Bet that made Fox happy. NOT!
OK- clam on Dachau ruins my perfect board.
Wow- DJ not nearly so kind, only 14/26, 4 clams.

!! Drew's wager! Wow. He's either psychic or psychotic! Or both! Guess newspapers wasn't his category. I usually like it, but I missed tonight's. I too thought they were looking for a city in India.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

SavoyGirl wrote:Anyone know if Jillian Mueller is related to the amazing Pam Mueller?
I'm sorry!! I wasn't being smarmy to this question, SG! I set the draft up as I start watching and comment as the show progresses. I didn't see your post when I typed my first line.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Drew essentially bet for David to be incorrect--he wins if and only if David gets FJ wrong. He seems to have a sixth sense for things like this.

David perhaps should bet only $5199. Unless I'm overlooking something, that keeps him above Jillian in all scenarios and doesn't give up any possibilities.

I usually don't notice what people wear, but I liked David's orange ensemble and enjoyed watching all three players.

Just in case anyone cares, Ben (3/11) and Jillian were the holdover contestants (from Oct. 29 to Oct. 30).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

"Michael Gorbachev." :lol:
Leander

Post by Leander »

In the Chicago area, we only got the last two DJ questions plus FJ due to the Pope coverage. I thought an instaget FJ, but I've read a number of articles from the paper in recent years. I'm sure there'll be a lot of debate over the wagers.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Leander wrote:I'm sure there'll be a lot of debate over the wagers.
Probably, although there's not much to debate. As Linear Gnome pointed out, Drew made a bet that David would get it wrong, as opposed to betting on himself getting it right by making the traditional cover wager. That's just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. What's striking to me is that he has become a 7-day champion with tactics like this. I don't want to minimize the accomplishment, because it's far better than I'll likely do if I ever get on the show, but he seems to have had an incredible amount of luck. If FJ had been a triple get, his wager probably wouldn't be looking so clever.

Has a 7-day champion ever had a lower dollar total in regular play? Maybe one of the J! historians can check on that for us.

I also said New Delhi for FJ. It never occurred to me to pick a country. I usually associate newspapers with cities (except for USA Today, which can barely be called a newspaper at all).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For some reason I never think of India as an English speaking country, no chance on FJ.

Another thing about Drew's wager....Second place often bets to get one dollar ahead of the leader's pre-FJ score. So his bet gives him a win if that had happened. Instead, he bet to get one dollar ahead of third's pre-FJ score and it cost him $1,000.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
Leander wrote:I'm sure there'll be a lot of debate over the wagers.
Probably, although there's not much to debate. As Linear Gnome pointed out, Drew made a bet that David would get it wrong, as opposed to betting on himself getting it right by making the traditional cover wager. That's just a matter of personal preference, I suppose. What's striking to me is that he has become a 7-day champion with tactics like this. I don't want to minimize the accomplishment, because it's far better than I'll likely do if I ever get on the show, but he seems to have had an incredible amount of luck. If FJ had been a triple get, his wager probably wouldn't be looking so clever.
When someone has such a run of amazing luck, it seriously makes me wonder if there isn't a deeper level of strategy going on. Maybe Drew has noticed that difficult-seeming categories tend to have a general knowledge TOM, while innocent-looking categories often require very specific knowledge. (Is this true? Seems so, lately.) Maybe he did an astute job of sizing up the competition in practice (something I probably should have done more of).

In any case, almost every day he has played, someone had a reasonable-to-good chance to defeat him, and he has prevailed through seven games (so far). He has not been dominant, but he's had just enough mojo to win. He's had some good luck, but he's also made his own luck.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:I too thought they were looking for a city in India.
Me three.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Paucle wrote:I too thought they were looking for a city in India.
Me three.
Yup, same here. I've heard of the Times of India, but it didn't cross my mind, probably because the other two examples were both cities.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Drive was a weird category for me. I had no idea on $200, got $800, and clammed on the other three.

0/5 in Capitals, embarrassingly. Come on, I knew this crap cold when I was three; why has it evaporated now?

4/5 in TV, missing only Burn Notice.

5/5 in Animal Similes, easily.

4/5 in Grammy, clamming on Michael J. Fox because I couldn't get Huey Lewis & the News out of my head in time.

Oddly, I got only $2000 in Moviemaker. I had no idea what they wanted at $400 or $800 (drivers are involved in moviemaking? News to me), then had a brain lock on continuity and editor. ("Oh, who's the person that edits the film?")

ADR I knew because just yesterday, I found a post from Tom Ruegger, detailing how an episode of Tiny Toon Adventures had extensive ADR due to a lot of its content being stitched together from some unused pieces of the pilot episode. And he explained not only what ADR is, but also what it stands for.

"Ob"sessive was a weird 3/5er for me. I've never heard of an "object lesson" in my life, and I went with "observatory" on $2000.

Oddly, I didn't get a single $400 right in DJ!

No guess on FJ! India wouldn't have come to me in a million years.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Another unnecessary comment by Beelzebub...."Oh no, not Eugene O'Neil".
I was very disappointed at Drew's bet. Poor Jillian was mentally being carried across the threshold, I imagine.
As stated before, luck is a variable in these games but so much?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

I don't know much about Jillian's family history, but I do remember from my tape day that Mueller is her married name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is Mueller such an uncommon name that seeing it made people wonder about a relation to Pam Mueller? I've seen that surname enough times that I never made the connection. To me the women don't look alike. Who is going to send Pam a PM to check or perhaps she still reads here sometimes and will let us know?

They were not yell stumpers, but more like "huh" stumpers when the players didn't get Salt Lake City or Checkpoint Charlie. The Glee one I understand as I think two characters would be better than just Artie Abrams. It was like the writers were handicapping the players with only the Presidential name of the school, which so many shows have, and only one person on the show.

It was Burn Notice that got me in TV as I could picture the star and knew the title I wanted from the USA show, but couldn't dig it.

The writing was on the wall for me to miss the FJ clue tonight. 12 in a row, all DDs correct tonight, 47 total correct, 38000 Coryat?

When I saw the clue I tried to think of another Times paper in a populous city. I wrote Los Angeles eliminated Chicago because of the Sun and Tribune factors and never left the States. I hate it when I don't give myself a fair shot at the clue and can't have any idea if I could have solved it. If I had thought of India I have no way of knowing if I would have done Calcutta, Mumbai or the country itself. I do know I would not have guessed New Delhi.

What I neeed to do was take a pause to consider circulation numbers for the U.S. It's the WSJ, USA Today and NYT. I know those are the biggies. Therefore, with or without London in the mix for the numbers, the U.S. was out. For all I can fathom I may have created something like the Sydney Times. I'll never know.

Drew's FJ wager makes him a sneaky dog as he has done different things. $2 took a lot of nerve with 6 wins and a lot of money already in the bank. I wonder if Jillian thought she had won? The sole solve at least got her the extra $1000 as a small reward earned.

With all of the Pope stuff in the news what is relevant for J! purposes along with the usual trivia always in play for such a clue or category?

Argentina
Francis
Jesuit
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

flemmingfan wrote:Another unnecessary comment by Beelzebub...."Oh no, not Eugene O'Neil"
I think this was almost a "you young whipper snappers!" comment by Alex. No one in his generation would think Eugene O'Neill got his start writing for Phil Silvers. :)

Add me to those who thought of an Indian city for FJ. I was torn between Bombay and Delhi and ended up going with Delhi. I figured it had to be an Indian paper, though.