Wednesday, March 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6573, 2013-03-27

CONTESTANTS
Ryan Truchelut, a meterologist and graduate student from Tallahassee, Florida
Tom Carroll, a court officer lieutenant from White Plains, New York
Pat Clevenger, a civil engineer from Chalfant Borough, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Recent history always seems to present a little bit of a problem for our contestants, and that was the case on yesterday's show, but not for Pat, who came up with the correct response in Final. Tom and Ryan are here to challenge him today. Pick up those signaling devices. You guys are going to work right now... with these categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FROM THE GREEK (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CREATURES AMONG US (5/5)
THE AGE OF MAN (5/5)
MAJOR LEAGUE BATTING CHAMPS (5/5)
QUOTES/ MAGAZINES (5/5)
"I"-PODGE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Pat: 8 R, 0 W
Ryan: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tom found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Pat had $2,400, Tom had $3,400, and Ryan had a deficit with -$200. Tom wagered $1,000.

FROM THE GREEK $600: From Greek words for "two propositions", it's a difficult problem with equally unfavorable alternatives
(Tom: What's an enigma?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Pat: $3,200
Tom: $2,400
Ryan: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ryan Truchelut from Tallahassee, Florida, is involved in a job that is or has been very much in the news this past year--meteorology. Is forecasting becoming more difficult now that we have global warming or is it easier now because of that?

Ryan: Oh, it's fairly difficult. I think it's becoming more difficult. Things are--the variance seems to be increasing.

Alex: Yeah. We can't make those predictions anymore.

Alex: Tom Carroll, court officer lieutenant from White Plains, New York, who appears today on Jeopardy! as the fulfillment of a long, long-standing dream.

Tom: 37 years ago, I took the test for the first time when Art Fleming was the host. [Laughs]

Alex: Did you pass it then?

Tom: No.

Alex: So, you have learned a great deal in 37 years.

Tom: I've taken it several times since then, and somebody here finally came to their senses and asked me to come on.

Alex: Good for you. I'm glad we came to our senses.

Alex: Pat Clevenger is a civil engineer who designs electricity transmission lines. Are those wires really dangerous? They carry thousands and thousands of volts, right?

Pat: When they first put them up, they're not energized, but it's when they're actually energized is when they're dangerous. Usually when they start working on them like that, they'll shut them down and have an outage for that so they can work on it.

Alex: Okay, but if we ever see one of those lines on the ground, stay away.

Pat: Stay away from it and call the power companies.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FROM THE GREEK $1000: It's a quotation at the front of a book, from the Greek for "write upon"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tom: $7,200
Pat: $4,400
Ryan: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I'LL TAKE YOUR CHARACTER (4/5)
"CC" ME ON THAT (4/5)
OUT WEST IN THE 1850s (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LABOR (4/5)
UNIQUE PLACES (4/5)
MOVIE & TV DOGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tom: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Ryan: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Pat: 5 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Pat snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Pat had $5,600, Tom had $7,200, and Ryan was at $2,800. Pat wagered $2,000.

OUT WEST IN THE 1850s $1600: In 1852 Henry & William opened this bank for express money transport using steamship, railroad or stagecoach

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Pat had $5,200, Tom had $18,800, and Ryan was at $8,000. Ryan wagered $7,500.

MOVIE & TV DOGS $800: (I am Cesar Millan.) Today I rehabilitate dogs & train people, but as a kid I wanted to be a trainer after watching these 2 legendary movie dogs, a collie & a German shepherd

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
UNIQUE PLACES $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands amid seals on a beach in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador.) In placing the Galapagos on its World Heritage List, this international organization described the islands as a unique living museum
(Pat: What is UNICEF?)

MOVIE & TV DOGS $2000: Charlotte on "Sex and the City" gave her dog the name of this legendary actress, with approval from the lady herself

"CC" ME ON THAT $2000: Concise.
Terse.
8 letters.
This
(Pat: [no response])

LABOR $2000: The Dept. of Labor is headquartered in a building named for this female secretary of labor who served from 1933 to 1945

I'LL TAKE YOUR CHARACTER $2000: Laura Kalpakian's sequel to "Les Miserables" is named after her, Jean Valjean's adopted daughter

OUT WEST IN THE 1850s $800: "Land" ho! This Northern California city was founded in 1852 & named for the trees that grew there
(Pat: What is Redwood?)
(Ryan: What is Sequoia?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tom: $20,000
Ryan: $15,900
Pat: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AWARDS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Tom: Wager $11,801 to cover Ryan. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $1,401.
Ryan: You'll want to wager between $4,101 (venusian) and $5,499 (martian), and you'll win the game if Tom wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Pat: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For 2012, the front of these awards shows Nike stepping out of the Parthenon & the reverse depicts the Thames

FINAL SCORES
Pat: $5,200 + $5,200 = $10,400 (What are the Olympic Medals?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ryan: $15,900 + $4,101 = $20,001 (What are Olympic medals?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Tom: $20,000 + $12,000 = $32,000 (What is an Olympic gold medal?) (New champion: $32,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tom: $21,000, 24 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ryan: $9,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Pat: $4,800, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Tom: 25/59 = .424
Ryan: 16/59 = .271
Pat: 14/59 = .237
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE AGE OF MAN $1000: This German composer was just 17 when he wrote his overture for "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in 1826
(Ryan: Who is Wagner?)

"I"-PODGE $800: Term for an indicator of rank, such as the eagle seen here for an army colonel

CREATURES AMONG US $600: When threatened, this mammal seen here just likes to roll with it

CREATURES AMONG US $1000: Seen here is the largest member of the parrot family, the hyacinth type of this

UNIQUE PLACES $1600: Yemen's Socotra Island has a tree that produces red sap called this mythic creature's blood
(Ryan: What is a unicorn?)

UNIQUE PLACES $400: Found in Mauritania & best seen from the sky, the Richat Structure is also called "the eye of" this desert

CORRECT RESPONSES
a dilemma
an epigraph
Wells Fargo
Lassie & Rin Tin Tin
UNESCO
Elizabeth Taylor
succinct
Frances Perkins
Cosette
Oakland
the Olympic medals
(Felix) Mendelssohn
an insignia
an armadillo
a macaw
dragon
the Sahara
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Awards
For 2012, the front of these awards shows Nike stepping out of the Parthenon & the reverse depicts the Thames.

Spoiler
What are Olympic medals? Tom said an Olympic gold medal, which was also accepted, as would have been silver or bronze, according to Alex.

Tom Carroll: $20,000+$12,000=$32,000...now a 1-day champion with $32,000
Ryan Truchelut: $15,900+$4,101=$20,001
Pat Clevenger: $5,200+$5,200=$10,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

I struggled a bit with the board today, going only 21/1/8 and 22/0/8, and that was with running three categories. But that was an instaget FJ. I'd bet over 90% on next week's poll. My only hesitation, which Tom appeared to share, was whether "Olympic medals" or the more specific "Olympic gold medals" was going to be required. I put down "Olympic medals" figuring that they couldn't possibly have expected a player to know if the different medals had different designs on them, though it turns out not to have mattered anyway. My tenth correct FJ in a row.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Incidentally, I believe this is the first non-TOC game with no women since November 28 (http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4023).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I always root for an older contestant and was very glad to see Tom dominate like he did. I was worried when Ryan make it close with the lay up DD, but he prevailed with an equally easy FJ.

FJ did take me a bit. Nike made me think of the athletic shoe (which actually led me in the right direction), then tried to connect Greece and London and 2012 made it only one (or three) possible thing.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Thrilled to have a New York State Court Officer appearing and triumphing! (I'm a Senior Court Clerk in the NYS court system and am happy to see one of our own doing us so proud.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TryphonTournesol wrote:I struggled a bit with the board today, going only 21/1/8 and 22/0/8, and that was with running three categories.
Yeah, I though the DJ board was quite rough. I was probably in the 18-20 right range.
But that was an instaget FJ. I'd bet over 90% on next week's poll.
They don't get much easier.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:Nike made me think of the athletic shoe
Glad I'm not the only one who took that brief mental detour. Still pretty much instaget.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of these FJs have waaaaaay too many hints. The year, Nike, England, and an award with two sides? Come on guys, any two of those clues would've been enough.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

If you missed that FJ, you should look into trying out for another show, like Storage Wars.

I like the guy who won. I appreciate the ballsy bet by the weather guy, who basically opted for the wrong mythical creature.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I was rooting for Tom after he mentioned waiting 37 years to get on the show. It was nice to see him win a large sum.

I had the correct FJ response before Alex was halfway done reading the clue.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Nike made me think of the athletic shoe
Glad I'm not the only one who took that brief mental detour. Still pretty much instaget.

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of these FJs have waaaaaay too many hints. The year, Nike, England, and an award with two sides? Come on guys, any two of those clues would've been enough.
The contestants have been terrible at FJ this year, so the show has lowered the bar.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

There were a couple of TSs in this one (Frances Perkins, Les Mis {Cosette, I think?}) where I leaned over to one of my fellow female contestants and whispered softly, "This is how you can tell there are three men up there."
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Round One: 23/7c
From the Greek:4r, 1c.
Creatures Among Us: 5/5
The Age of Man: 3r,2c
ML Batting Champs Ran these effortlessly, and the bottom row clue felt like a top row kids week to me ;)
Quotes/Magazines: bombed!! only got 200 and 400. Clammed on other three, though knew two with a little more time. (NHIH on Ebony)
"I"-Podge: all but the Parnassus one.

Knew the DD right away, and I'm wondering if he got thrown by the actual definition of the word? Most people just treat it as meaning, "ooh, tough call" no matter the outcome. But for a true dilemma, the alternatives have to be equally bad. "We only get one free cruise: US Virgin Islands or Alaska?" is not a dilemma!

Round Two 23/7c (second verse, same as the first)
I'll Take Your Character: 3/5 including Cosette
CC Me on that: 5/5 though I would've needed the rebound time for succinct, would not have gotten it if nobody rang in.
Out West in the 1850s: 4/5. Why DD hunt and not go bigger? Sigh. Then when a DD remains with only 8 top clues, why come back here?
Labor: 4/5 including Perkins
Unique Places: only 2/5, including the "What the HELL is this doing at 2000?" clue.
Movie & TV Dogs: 5/5, and I guess that was close enough to all-in on a 2nd-row DD so as not to be denigrated. :mrgreen: It was late, gotta make sure you can stick around for FJ, JIC.

Got FJ relatively quickly putting the pieces together. Yes, they are giving an awful lot of pieces lately.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

NYCScribbler wrote:There were a couple of TSs in this one (Frances Perkins, Les Mis {Cosette, I think?}) where I leaned over to one of my fellow female contestants and whispered softly, "This is how you can tell there are three men up there."
I had the same thought after the Sex and the City clue.

I had a momentary panic during FJ, as I quickly wrote down "What are Olympic gold medals?", and still had enough time to type out the full text of the clue and what I was fairly certain was the correct response. It then occurred to me that Olympic medals was most likely the intended response, and my inclusion of the word gold was unnecessary, but surely it would still be accepted, right? I wonder if Tom's heart began to beat a touch faster after his opponents' responses were revealed, since he too had gold on his screen. Obviously nothing to really panic about, as if all medals had that design, then the gold medal has it, so it has to be accepted, but still interesting that this clue could have 3 different responses that are all more specific than the intended one, but still acceptable.

Interesting DJ round, with everyone jumping to the lower value clues, then of course the last DD ends up being in an $800 box. Nice job by Ryan making the big DD wager, doing everything he could to maximize his chances of winning. However, with that FJ waiting, his fate was sealed.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Teen level FJ.

Touching to see how emotional the new champ got about his win. I hope he gets a few more.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Nearly missed the beginning of the show for not paying attention to the time. I saw on my computer it was 18:01 (I keep military time, partly due to my dad being a retiree and partly due to personal preference), and when I got out of my room and looked at the TV, the first clue was just zooming in.

"Nike" and "Parthenon" may have gone over my head for DJ!, but I only needed the "2012" and "Thames" hints to get to the Olympics. I just said the Summer Olympics (the "medals" part being contextual), but I'm not going to be picky about it. Two for three this week.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

jeff6286 wrote:Awards
For 2012, the front of these awards shows Nike stepping out of the Parthenon & the reverse depicts the Thames.
ImageImage
"stepping out"?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I, too, am glad that the contestant coordinators finally came to their senses.

And I swear, if after TPH says he didn't put anything down for FJ, someone comments on it, I'm going to put them in the timeout corner.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

alietr wrote:I, too, am glad that the contestant coordinators finally came to their senses.

And I swear, if after TPH says he didn't put anything down for FJ, someone comments on it, I'm going to put them in the timeout corner.
THANK YOU!
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.