Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

ART

One of its principal members said, "One morning, one of us, having no black, used blue instead," and this movement was born.
Spoiler
What is impressionism? Mark said Fauvism and Salvo said modernism

Mark Richardson: $2,200-$800=$1,400
Anne Hardimon: $9,400+$0=$9,400
Salvo Candela: $20,100-$1,200=$18,900, now three day champ with $66,195
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

Is "Louis Gates" acceptable when the correct response is "Henry Louis Gates"?
They gave it to Anne in the first round.
Would "Wilkes Booth" be acceptable for "He assassinated Abraham Lincoln"?
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Religion Holidays. I have heard of Shrove Tuesday maybe once.

I knew Alan Moore = Watchmen (thank you, Linkara), but was drawing a blank on his name.

Lach Trash on Esperanza Spalding. She and Bon Iver really stuck out to me as very, very odd recent winners for Grammy Award for Best New Artist. I mean, that award doesn't go to some niche act with little to no mainstream chart action. Zac Brown Band and fun. make far more sense IMO.

"Story of O" seemed way undervalued at $400 IMO. Surprised that The Casual Vacancy was a.) down at $1200, and b.) a TS.

I ran Misnamed Animals, but couldn't get puma = panther. I somehow got stuck on "polecat", which I know isn't a cat. (Or a Pole, for that matter.)

"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.

Not a guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TomC4253 wrote:Is "Louis Gates" acceptable when the correct response is "Henry Louis Gates"?
If he was ever called that, then sure. I don't know enough about him to say either way.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Last edited by groovitude on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, at least my strategy of 'name a random -ism' worked. Is that a famous anecdote? Is there some connection that I was supposed to make? Wasn't happening here.

I'd also like to know why they accepted Louis Gates.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

J! Round
$9,600 Coryats / $12,000 without negatives
* I ran Which Religion's Holiday and clammed on the $1000 clue for Ends in "Sh." I guess the voices in my head started talking about a perfect game to jinx me. :oops:
* I was shocked Paul McCartney was missing from the Bass and Vocals category. I was secretly hoping for Les Claypool, too, but at least we got Geddy Lee. I couldn't remember if Simmons played bass or guitar, and was waffling between him and Ace Frehley when the answer was given. Shucks.
* Whiffed on the DD; guessed Arizona instead of the proper New Mexico.

DJ! Round
$12,400 Coryats / $15,200 without negatives (Total: $22,000 / $27,200)
* I ran Misnamed Animals, and that was just about all of the damage I did in the round. Five right in that category, and only ten others for the round, matched with two wrong and thirteen passes. Yikes.
* Clearly I need to read racier novels! I only got Lady Chatterly, and I've never heard of anything else in the category. :oops: (Any salacious recommendation?)

FJ!
Got it on a guess. Better lucky than good, I guess!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Oh, duh.

What was the TOM for the New Mexico DD?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I love the pretension behind the middle name-last name conceit as a response. "Who is Weston Loomis Pound?"

Another FJ I get because what else was it going to be? I'm not familiar with the quote but the show is not going to ask about Suprematism.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, at least my strategy of 'name a random -ism' worked. Is that a famous anecdote? Is there some connection that I was supposed to make? Wasn't happening here.
Wasn't happening here either. I have no idea why they thought that quote would or should lead us to the correct response. I figured "blue" was the TOM somehow and followed it to Picasso but didn't know where to go from there. I ended up saying Cubism even though I knew Picasso's blue period was not the same as his cubist period. I thought Mark's guess of Fauvism was terrific and Salvo's of Modernism wasn't bad either. Anne's guess of Impressionism was by far the weakest. Except for the part where it was right.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Austin Powers wrote:I love the pretension behind the middle name-last name conceit as a response. "Who is Weston Loomis Pound?"

Another FJ I get because what else was it going to be? I'm not familiar with the quote but the show is not going to ask about Suprematism.
I got distracted when I looked at the clue earlier, trying to remember the name of an art movement with blue in the title, but figured that Der Blaue Reiter is probably not going to be a FJ answer.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I love the pretension behind the middle name-last name conceit as a response. "Who is Weston Loomis Pound?"

I got distracted when I looked at the clue earlier, trying to remember the name of an art movement with blue in the title, but figured that Der Blaue Reiter is probably not going to be a FJ answer.
Yes Blue Rider is way too intelligent an answer. Except for the one time it is and Alex acts dumbstruck that no one got it.

I think the thought process is as follows: color had to be important for a specific reason. The night sky is black. Except when not, because you have to use blue. Then, you've got "Impression: Sunrise." Or so I guess.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

econgator wrote:
TomC4253 wrote:Is "Louis Gates" acceptable when the correct response is "Henry Louis Gates"?
If he was ever called that, then sure. I don't know enough about him to say either way.
We went to college together. Everyone called him Skip Gates and he still uses that. Never heard him called Louis without the Henry.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have no idea where they pulled that from, but I'd hardly call it how the movement was born. I know a fair amount about Impressionism, and had never heard this one. In fact, if you Google the quote (in quotes), there aren't an awful lot of references to it on the Web. Nope, this was a real stinker of a clue with very little pointing you correctly to the response. Boo, hiss. (FTR, I responded Fauvism to have something regarding color.)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

My first thought was Hudson River School (landscapes might use a lot of blue), then I realized Alex was using his accent again.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

nserven wrote:My first thought was Hudson River School (landscapes might use a lot of blue), then I realized Alex was using his accent again.
Yeah, I noticed that.

I also thought it was weird that Alex told Salvo he knew he'd get in first on the Italy clue, especially before Salvo's answer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leah wrote:We went to college together. Everyone called him Skip Gates and he still uses that. Never heard him called Louis without the Henry.
That's a good enough ruling for me!

For FJ, I started with fauvism, but "blue instead of black" didn't seem quite right (I thought fauvism was more about odd/bright shades of the same colors), so I switched over to impressionism.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Religion Holidays. I have heard of Shrove Tuesday maybe once.
You may have heard it called Fat Tuesday. I prefer the name Pancake Tuesday.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the TOM for the New Mexico DD?
The Zia sun symbol is a state symbol of NM. It's also on the state flag, state highway signs, and many of their license plate designs.