Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Re: Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by StrangerCoug »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Oh, duh.

What was the TOM for the New Mexico DD?
The New Mexico flag has the Zia sun symbol on it. Being a New Mexico resident at the moment, that's something I'd find easy, and I think familiarity with its flag would have enabled me to get it even without living here. (I realize marpocky beat me to it, but there you go.)

I think I recognized the TOM in FJ! subconsciously. Saw "blue," thought "impressionism". My mom said "blue period", and even though I had the connection made long before, that may have to do with it.

Also, for the Shrove Tuesday clue, I said Catholicism... Judges?
Last edited by StrangerCoug on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, at least my strategy of 'name a random -ism' worked.
My "strategy" as well. I'll take it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Oh yeah, Fat Tuesday = Mardi Gras. The local stores start selling pączki around that day, but I've never seen any pancakes around.
jepjunkie

Post by jepjunkie »

I was in the audience for the episodes airing all this week. So awesome to relive these really fun moments!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StrangerCoug wrote:Also, for the Shrove Tuesday clue, I said Catholicism... Judges?
It's certainly one of the religions that observes it, but maybe it's too specific?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Congrats to Salvo for winning again, and for having a wicked cool name. Maybe an author might lift it for a future novel or something...

My fave category was state quarters, nailed all of them.

And was tickled to see my native state of N.H. pop up in two clues; the state quarter one, and the novel "Peyton Place."
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Religion Holidays. I have heard of Shrove Tuesday maybe once.
You may have heard it called Fat Tuesday. I prefer the name Pancake Tuesday.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What was the TOM for the New Mexico DD?
The Zia sun symbol is a state symbol of NM. It's also on the state flag, state highway signs, and many of their license plate designs.
The zia is on all our license plates, and I think Zia Pueblo is still trying to get some sort of royalties for the state's use of it.

I went back and forth between impressionism and cubism for FJ, but chose cubism.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

groovitude wrote:
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Wow, harsh. Yes, I couldn't think of refrain, so I went with a homophone, chorale/corral. Man.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I have no idea where they pulled that from, but I'd hardly call it how the movement was born. I know a fair amount about Impressionism, and had never heard this one. In fact, if you Google the quote (in quotes), there aren't an awful lot of references to it on the Web. Nope, this was a real stinker of a clue with very little pointing you correctly to the response. Boo, hiss. (FTR, I responded Fauvism to have something regarding color.)
Completely agree. In this case, Alex's bad French accent led me to a French movement, and then being stumped and looking at the trend of recent FJ's, I went with the simplest and most obvious, even though I couldn't see a link to the clue. And I was right.
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Bamaman wrote: Mark Richardson: $2,200-$800=$1,400
Anne Hardimon: $9,400+$0=$9,400
Salvo Candela: $20,100-$1,200=$18,000, now three day champ with $66,195
I was sitting here thinking, "Salvo over-wagered from first place, and no one called him out on it??" Then I realized that it should say he ended up with $18900, not $18000. :)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I said "Cubism" for FJ.

My thought process was something like "blue --> Picasso (because he had a blue period), and I think Picasso is usually called a cubist."

I went 26-4 in the J round and 21-9 in the DJ round. I picked up three triple stumpers at the $1600 level, which makes me feel a bit better about missing FJ.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

svocan wrote:
groovitude wrote:
Wow, harsh. Yes, I couldn't think of refrain, so I went with a homophone, chorale/corral. Man.
I thought chorale was very clever, given that it had to be pulled from thin air, and I thought of "chorus" as a group of people rather than a part of a song. Would not have come up with refrain in time.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

econgator wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:Also, for the Shrove Tuesday clue, I said Catholicism... Judges?
It's certainly one of the religions that observes it, but maybe it's too specific?
I can't think of any grounds for a neg.
ElendilPickle wrote:I went back and forth between impressionism and cubism for FJ, but chose cubism.
I did the exact same. Blue made me think of Picasso's Blue Period, but Alex's vaguely French accent made me doubt it and consider impressionism. I ended up going with my gut and being wrong.
sandwich
Contributor

Post by sandwich »

Leah wrote:
svocan wrote:
I thought chorale was very clever, given that it had to be pulled from thin air, and I thought of "chorus" as a group of people rather than a part of a song. Would not have come up with refrain in time.
I concur. I was impressed with the shrewdness of it and was surprised when it was negged. RTFC, man, indeed... TenPoundHammer, that is. As for Salvo, he is a joy to watch play and his mellifluous voice is remarkably relaxing.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:I also thought it was weird that Alex told Salvo he knew he'd get in first on the Italy clue, especially before Salvo's answer.
Beyond weird. I thought it bordered on inappropriate, although I'm sure it didn't affect the outcome.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jasoni22 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Mark Richardson: $2,200-$800=$1,400
Anne Hardimon: $9,400+$0=$9,400
Salvo Candela: $20,100-$1,200=$18,000, now three day champ with $66,195
I was sitting here thinking, "Salvo over-wagered from first place, and no one called him out on it??" Then I realized that it should say he ended up with $18900, not $18000. :)
Fixed, thanks for the catch.

I said Skip Gates, I assume they'd have taken that.

No real chance on FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

William Gates and Gates Brown are too obscure so the writers had to use Brandenburg Gate to find a fifth clue?

It was hard to resist the cheating temptation in Graphic Novels part deux. The Rowling title? The Casual... My head stayed at the TV instead of turning to the right where the book would have been in sight. Thanks J.K. for the unmemorable title.

Recalling That '70s Show and Good Times was much easier. Anne could have won the game (although I suspect she would have not wagered enough) if she knew either show or the quarter DD. Should I have a poll choice for AZ? I was laughing marking the box right for myself as I could guess what was coming by the player and posts here.

I'll add a little more to my guess of Cubism to what others have mentioned. Picking up on Alex's French accent I knew Georges Braque was French to get around the Picasso problem. Based on the recent FJs I should have realized the way things are going lately that even Cubism is out of scope and that the right advice was what else would it be other than Impressionism. Ending my streak on a Monday and in ART does not bother me like it would for Sports/TV/Movies on a Friday.

Salvo got the lockpeat. On a quick look I'm only seeing Leach, Jass and Shore for doing that in the previous TOC field in their regular games. For the 2011 field it was 5/15 who did it. For the threelockpeat it's Stephanie Jass and Joon Pahk who did not make the TOC finals. So Salvo needs to win, but have a tougher time tomorrow. But not too difficult or the TOC talk ends up being premature.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Ok, this is rather embarrassing for a geography geek to admit, but lately I'm always getting Rhine and Rhone mixed up. I keep thinking the Rhone is also in Germany and drains into the North Sea via the Low Countries. Now that I looked it up ill try to remember that the Rhone is entirely in the south of France, despite not sounding very French at all.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I forgot about the griping on (Henry) Louis Gates. If the last name alone is fine then there is no problem adding a correct middle name as long as the category is not requiring a first name for a quotes qualifier or something. It hurts the ears, but Allan Poe, Davison Rockefeller, Wilson Reagan etc. all have to be accepted.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

svocan wrote:
groovitude wrote:
I've been singing choral music for years, and I also went with chorale. I was thinking "chorus" as in the group one sings with, not as in refrain.
Great game, Salvo!