Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

BADuBois wrote:And was tickled to see my native state of N.H. pop up in two clues; the state quarter one, and the novel "Peyton Place."
I was hoping they'd get a bit bolder if they did NH in that category, something like: "Though visible when it was issued, the rock formation on their quarter no longer exists." Or something like that.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ Nice accidental pun (bolder).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I ran Misnamed Animals, but couldn't get puma = panther.
Huh. Interesting definition of running a category.

For FJ I wrote down Dadaism. The "blue instead of black" just seemed like a non sequitur so that led me to an art movement that praised nonsense. Impressionism sure seems like a better guess in retrospect, though :)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:Now that I looked it up ill try to remember that the Rhone is entirely in the south of France, despite not sounding very French at all.
Its upper reaches also flow through Switzerland, including some of the German-speaking sections.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Puma = panther was in Synonyms (but is related to animals, obviously).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Ok, this is rather embarrassing for a geography geek to admit, but lately I'm always getting Rhine and Rhone mixed up. I keep thinking the Rhone is also in Germany and drains into the North Sea via the Low Countries. Now that I looked it up ill try to remember that the Rhone is entirely in the south of France, despite not sounding very French at all.
I've always kept them straight by remembering (via similar sounds) the Rhone flows through Avignon, ergo French.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Also Rhone in French has the little hat over the "o." Remember that and you know it's a (predominantly) French river.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Painter would have also been a correct response in addition to Panther.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by NoName84 »

I went with Der Blaue Reiter for FJ!

Obscure? So was Liederkranz.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:William Gates and Gates Brown are too obscure so the writers had to use Brandenburg Gate to find a fifth clue?
*looks at avatar* But clearly you were okay with the Golden Gate as a clue!
(Also, they used William Gates for the top: Bill Gates (Microsoft)'s mostly full name is William H. Gates, III. I would've gone all Walter Chrysler on that one, too. :D )
This Is Kirk! wrote:

For FJ I wrote down Dadaism. The "blue instead of black" just seemed like a non sequitur so that led me to an art movement that praised nonsense. Impressionism sure seems like a better guess in retrospect, though :)
Yeah, I was hemming between dada, abstract, minimalism, and surrealism. Impression just...felt wrong as an answer despite it coming to mind first.

Apparently the lack of pure black is an impressionist technique. :|
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:I forgot about the griping on (Henry) Louis Gates. If the last name alone is fine then there is no problem adding a correct middle name as long as the category is not requiring a first name for a quotes qualifier or something. It hurts the ears, but Allan Poe, Davison Rockefeller, Wilson Reagan etc. all have to be accepted.
In this case, though, the last name alone would be insufficient since it was part of category name.

I don't see how Louis Gates was accepted.
OCSam
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

MarkBarrett wrote:I forgot about the griping on (Henry) Louis Gates. If the last name alone is fine then there is no problem adding a correct middle name as long as the category is not requiring a first name for a quotes qualifier or something. It hurts the ears, but Allan Poe, Davison Rockefeller, Wilson Reagan etc. all have to be accepted.
But the category had 'gates' in it, yes? Which would invalidate the last name alone argument, and I should think in the category 'Booth' (or somesuch) that Wilkes Booth would neither be acceptable. I think Louis Gates should not have been accepted. In the category 'Dead Kennedys': this man had a bad day on a Dallas plaza in 1963. Who is Fitzgerald Kennedy? BMS might be called for in all three instances.

I agree that Alex's reacting to Salvo's successful ring on Italy was inappropriate and careless. I wasn't listening to the FJ, since I had played it off this thread earlier, but using an accent there would also be inappropriate. What the hell?

As mentioned, chorale was homophone, not synonym. I had refrain, and to me, Salvo looked surprised when chorale was ruled incorrect. It read to me less as a desperation guess than as a (perhaps momentary) misapprehension of the category. But what do I know?

I came to impressionism, after running through Picasso's Blue Period (a period is not a movement, and a change of color could have no connection to cubism), Fauvism, Hudson River School (would they talk about changing the color of the river from black to blue?). Nothing made sense, so impressionism seemed most likely.

ETA: Man, I'm slow.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I wondered if Salvo was thinking he was still in the 'starts with CH' category for that chorale answer. I know I was.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

svocan wrote:
groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Wow, harsh. Yes, I couldn't think of refrain, so I went with a homophone, chorale/corral. Man.
I decided to look up "chorale," to discover that it can also refer to a chorus. I've only ever heard it refer to a performed piece before.

Summarily, you've been upgraded to "best possible incorrect guess," and I've thrown my degree in the rubbish bin.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

svocan wrote:
groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Synonym for chorus" -> "corral"? RTFC, man.
"Chorale" is a homophone. It wasn't a great guess, but it wasn't as egregious as you make it out to be.
Wow, harsh. Yes, I couldn't think of refrain, so I went with a homophone, chorale/corral. Man.
groovitude wrote:I decided to look up "chorale," to discover that it can also refer to a chorus. I've only ever heard it refer to a performed piece before.

Summarily, you've been upgraded to "best possible incorrect guess," and I've thrown my degree in the rubbish bin.
Thank you! As I sing in a chorus whose name includes the word "Chorale," it was the first thing that came to mind. ;)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Puma = panther was in Synonyms (but is related to animals, obviously).
Yes. Good catch. Consider my questioning of your definition of running a category withdrawn, TPH :)
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I also said 'painter' for puma. I've seen "Track of the Cat". Robert Mitchum and Tab Hunter. You should see it too.It's intense.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got the refrain DD thanks to the old supposed gaffe from a student, which I must have read over 15 years ago in a Richard Lederer book: "Refrain means don't do it. In music it's the part you'd better not sing."
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

WTF with Final Jeopardy, Well, I guess they say if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Isn't Mormonism a Christian religion? Why does Jeopardy get away with that nonsense? unique religion X 4 then Mormonism.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Art is my anti-wheelhouse category, but I got this one due to a WAG. I frankly had no idea--just tried to think of an art movement.