Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 8, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

Isn't Mormonism a Christian religion?
Not according to some Christian denominations. As an example, some Evangelicals unease with Mitt Romney's candidacy and their belief that Mormonism is a heretical sect. While it shares a lot with mainstream Christianity, there are some significant doctrinal differences.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Leander wrote:

Not according to some Christian denominations. As an example, some Evangelicals unease with Mitt Romney's candidacy and their belief that Mormonism is a heretical sect. While it shares a lot with mainstream Christianity, there are some significant doctrinal differences.
Mormons will always assert their Christianity, as they worship Jesus.

(and then they add a few extra things, just to spice it up...)
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

I did not get the FJ question, nor did my wife, the one with a Master's in Art History, but I digress.

If I didn't get Panther, I would never be able to go back to my second Alma Mater, the University of Pittsburgh.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Patronaut wrote:If I didn't get Panther, I would never be able to go back to my second Alma Mater, the University of Pittsburgh.
My (only) alma mater too. :)
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

kickerofelves wrote:
Patronaut wrote:If I didn't get Panther, I would never be able to go back to my second Alma Mater, the University of Pittsburgh.
Ah, you guys went to Pitt, eh? I did two years at CMU, until I joined the world's swelling ranks of architecture school dropouts. This is why you may have noticed a smile from me during my daily double on Friday. :-)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

svocan wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
Ah, you guys went to Pitt, eh? I did two years at CMU, until I joined the world's swelling ranks of architecture school dropouts. This is why you may have noticed a smile from me during my daily double on Friday. :-)
Yeah, remember? We talked about that in the green room. ;)
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

svocan wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
Salvo, when were you at CMU? My wife was there in 2000 getting her Master's in English (I think. I can never remember where she got her degrees, though I know what they are and in what).

As for me, I got my Master's in Physics and my Bachelor's in Civil Engineering at Pitt. My Bachelor's in Physics is from Kansas State.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Patronaut wrote:As for me, I got my Master's in Physics and my Bachelor's in Civil Engineering at Pitt. My Bachelor's in Physics is from Kansas State.
My bachelor's is in ChE... When were you at Pitt? (I graduated in 2001...)
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

kickerofelves wrote:
Patronaut wrote:As for me, I got my Master's in Physics and my Bachelor's in Civil Engineering at Pitt. My Bachelor's in Physics is from Kansas State.
My bachelor's is in ChE... When were you at Pitt? (I graduated in 2001...)
I was in the Physics and Astronomy dept from '97 to '04. Went back for CE from '05 to '07. Did you take any astronomy or physics classes?
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

svocan wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:
Patronaut wrote:Salvo, when were you at CMU? My wife was there in 2000 getting her Master's in English (I think. I can never remember where she got her degrees, though I know what they are and in what).
I was there from 1997-1999, mainlining O fries the whole time.
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

svocan wrote:I was there from 1997-1999, mainlining O fries the whole time.
O fries.....I can't eat those anymore. Sigh.
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

Patronaut wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:My bachelor's is in ChE... When were you at Pitt? (I graduated in 2001...)
I was in the Physics and Astronomy dept from '97 to '04. Went back for CE from '05 to '07. Did you take any astronomy or physics classes?
Just freshman physics... and physical chemistry, which is almost physics. ;)

And mmmm, 'O' Fries. My nostalgic trashy Oakland food of youth is the $3.99 pizzas from Antoon's.
svocan
Contributor

Post by svocan »

Patronaut wrote:
svocan wrote:I was there from 1997-1999, mainlining O fries the whole time.
O fries.....I can't eat those anymore. Sigh.
People think I left Pittsburgh simply because I dropped out of CMU. The reality is that I left the city to keep myself from eating any more O fries.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:Also, for the Shrove Tuesday clue, I said Catholicism... Judges?
It's certainly one of the religions that observes it, but maybe it's too specific?
I wondered about that, too, and it gets even stickier because the $1K clue was asking for Mormonism, also a Christian religion. If the intended answer for the $200 question is Christianity, doesn't that exclude other Christian religions as answers for the other clues? Obviously not, I guess. :?:
Patronaut

Post by Patronaut »

kickerofelves wrote:
Patronaut wrote:
kickerofelves wrote:My bachelor's is in ChE... When were you at Pitt? (I graduated in 2001...)
Just freshman physics... and physical chemistry, which is almost physics. ;)

And mmmm, 'O' Fries. My nostalgic trashy Oakland food of youth is the $3.99 pizzas from Antoon's.
Who was your professor for freshman physics?

I also spent a lot of time at Hemingway's and Peter's Pub.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Leander wrote:

There's certainly no shortage of religious prejudice, but since the Church of LDS uses the bible and worships Jesus as the son of God, I find it to hard to exclude Mormonism from Christianity, despite what others might think.
earendel

Post by earendel »

stevo4212 wrote:WTF with Final Jeopardy, Well, I guess they say if it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true.

Isn't Mormonism a Christian religion? Why does Jeopardy get away with that nonsense? unique religion X 4 then Mormonism.
Whether Mormonism is a Christian religion or not is a matter of debate, particularly among evangelicals.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I think the debate should come down to if it "fits the clue". While it's debatable if "Shrove Tuesday" should be counted correct for "Christianity" or just "Catholicism", as there seem to be some Protestant denominations that celebrate that holiday too, it's less of a debate if "Pioneer Day" should be counted correct for "Christianity" or just "Mormonism", as there's only one Christian denomination that celebrates that. "Christianity" I think would get a "BMS".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
earendel

Post by earendel »

J! was preempted by a local news/sports show about the Final Four, since the local university was in it. They did this last week on Thursday and Friday as well. Playing from this thread I wouldn't have had any clue about FJ! - my guess was cubism, though why that would have anything to do with color is beyond me. I made the same connection as others - "blue" --> "blue period" --> Picasso --> "cubism".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Woof wrote:
Leander wrote:

There's certainly no shortage of religious prejudice, but since the Church of LDS uses the bible and worships Jesus as the son of God, I find it to hard to exclude Mormonism from Christianity, despite what others might think.
So, by that argument, Christianity = Judaism.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.