Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6583, 2013-04-10

CONTESTANTS
Greg Haroutunian, a law clerk from Montvale, New Jersey
Karla Stahl, a business manager from Odessa, Florida
Adam Holquist, an environmental engineer from Erie, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, ladies and gentlemen. Adam, good to have you back with us today. Your support group, including your wife, is back with us today. And Karla and Greg are your challengers. Good luck, players. Let's go to work, shall we? One Daily Double in this round. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIVING SOCIAL (4/5)
LINKED IN (3/5)
GROUP ON (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"INSTA"GRAM (5/5)
PINTEREST (4/5)
WEBSITES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Adam: 13 R, 1 W
Karla: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Greg: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Adam: $4,800
Karla: $1,000
Greg: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Greg Haroutunian is a law clerk from New Jersey who has, I think, overcompensated for being denied something when he was much younger. Uh...you weren't allowed to read comic books until you were how old?

Greg: Uh, actually, until I was in my 20s.

Alex: Really?

Greg: I mean, my parents didn't deny it before then, but I never got into it until then.

Alex: Okay, and now you have a collection of comic books.

Greg: Yes, I do. Over 6,000 of them now.

Alex: Wow. Are any of them really valuable?

Greg: Not really. They're mostly just ones I picked up for 10 and 25 cents a pop.

Alex: Oh, gosh. Those are the good, old days. [Greg chuckles] Yeah.

Alex: Karla Stahl is a business manager from Odessa, Florida, and she's different, ladies and gentlemen. I've often commented that when I die, my wife is going to put me in the coffin with a TV remote in my hand, but in your family, that is not the case. Your husband is not the one.

Karla: No, I'm the remote-crazy person in our family, and I'm also the technology geek.

Alex: Yeah. Now, does that mean that you have to control the remote? Even if somebody else suggests a program, you're the one who's going to press the button?

Karla: Uh, yes, my daughter's in the audience today, and I'm sure she would agree with me when I say absolutely. They can't get there fast enough for me.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yep, okay.

Alex: Adam Holquist is our champion. He's an engineer who works in the Air Quality Program for the Pennsylvania Department of...

Adam: Environmental Protection.

Alex: Which means you do what? You inspect what?

Adam: We inspect --we do all the permitting and all the inspections for any type of facility that's any kind of source of air pollution. Could be anything from a major chemical plant to an asphalt plant to a gravel pit.

Alex: Yeah, air quality control has become more and more important in recent years, hasn't it?

Adam: Oh, absolutely.

Alex: The regulations are demonstrating that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Karla found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Adam had $6,200, Karla had $2,400, and Greg had a deficit with -$400. Karla wagered $1,500.

GROUP ON $600: Medgar Evers was a field secretary for this group; his widow Myrlie Evers-Williams was the first woman to head it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEBSITES $1000: This tomb-locating website was created in 1995 as "a virtual cemetery experience"

LIVING SOCIAL $1000: A classic movie set in fascist Italy is titled this, one who goes along with others even against his own conscience

LINKED IN $600: Breech ___ grand

LINKED IN $1000: Third ___ metal

PINTEREST $1000: Pinter wrote the screenplay for the film version of this Margaret Atwood novel

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Karla: $6,300
Adam: $5,800
Greg: $400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GOVERNORS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE GUNS (4/5)
PROVERBIAL 4-LETTER WORDS (2/5)
RIVER UNDER THE BRIDGE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GIVING US THE TIME OF DAY (5/5)
VLAD THE IMPALA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Adam: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 4 W
Karla: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Adam had $5,800, Karla had $6,300, and Greg was at $800. Greg wagered $2,000.

GOVERNORS $800: Before becoming a governor, he served for two decades as a state senator from Harlem

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Adam who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Adam had $8,200, Karla had $7,500, and Greg was at $5,200. Adam wagered $2,000.

RIVER UNDER THE BRIDGE $1200: Beneath the Ben Franklin Bridge that links Philadelphia & Camden, New Jersey

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RIVER UNDER THE BRIDGE $2000: Beneath the Ambassador Bridge that links Michigan & Windsor, Ontario
(Karla: What is the Saint Lawrence?)

PROVERBIAL 4-LETTER WORDS $800: This "is as good as a mile"
(Adam: What is an inch?)

PROVERBIAL 4-LETTER WORDS $1600: "The nearer" this, "the sweeter the flesh"
(Karla: What is the vine?)

PROVERBIAL 4-LETTER WORDS $2000: In rhyme, "he that has" this, "has strife"
(Karla: What is envy?)
(Adam: What is life?)

MOVIE GUNS $2000: That's not a guitar in Antonio Banderas' guitar case in this 1995 sequel to "El Mariachi"
(Adam: What is The Mexican?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Adam: $12,200
Greg: $7,600
Karla: $6,700

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Adam: Wager $3,001 to cover Greg.
Greg: You have the hope of surpassing Adam if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Adam to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Karla.
Karla: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $6,698 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His works include "Sylvie and Bruno", "Phantasmagoria and Other Poems" & "Algebraic Formulae and Rules"

FINAL SCORES
Karla: $6,700 - $6,698 = $2 (Who is Verne) (3rd place: $1,000)
Greg: $7,600 - $7,598 = $2 (Who was Wilde) (2nd place: $2,000)
Adam: $12,200 - $3,001 = $9,199 (Who is Byron) (2-day champion: $36,299)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Adam: $11,400, 23 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Greg: $6,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Karla: $5,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Combined Coryat: $23,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Adam: 23/59 = .390
Karla: 16/59 = .271
Greg: 11/59 = .186
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"INSTA"GRAM $1000: An artwork created for a specific site
(Greg: What is an installment?)

GROUP ON $400: The logo of this group, some 300,000 members strong, is seen here

GROUP ON $800: GATT, the General Agreement on Tariffs & Trade, was replaced by this international group in 1995
(Adam: What is NAFTA?)

GOVERNORS $400: This Arkansas governor is seen here before & after losing 100 pounds

GOVERNORS $1200: In 1928, discontented rural voters helped make him Louisiana governor

GOVERNORS $1600: In 1982 this politician was elected Texas treasurer--the first woman to win a state office in 50 years

GOVERNORS $2000: Seen here, he took over the governor gig from Jesse Ventura

PROVERBIAL 4-LETTER WORDS $400: "He who laughs" this way "laughs best"
(Karla: What is... first?)

MOVIE GUNS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew holds a large prop gun.) Sure to inspire fear, the big blue light gun was deftly wielded by Agent J in the 2002 sequel to this sci-fi flick

MOVIE GUNS $1200: This company released a 50th anniversary edition of its Model 29 .44 Magnum, used by Dirty Harry
(Adam: What is Colt?)
(Greg: What is Remington?)

VLAD THE IMPALA $800: Vlad notes that with his personal best of 10 feet, he would have won this event at the 2012 Olympics by over 2 feet
(Karla: What is long jump?)

VLAD THE IMPALA $1600: The martial type of this bird, bigger than hawks, preys on impala fawns, so if Vlad ever comes across its eggs...
(Karla: What's a falcon?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the NAACP
Find a Grave
The Conformist
baby
base
The Handmaid's Tale
David Paterson
the Delaware
the Detroit River
miss
the bone
wife
Desperado
Lewis Carroll
an installation
the AMA (American Medical Association)
the World Trade Organization
Mike Huckabee
(Huey) Long
Ann Richards
Tim Pawlenty
last
Men in Black
Smith & Wesson
the high jump
an eagle
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

19th Century Authors
His works include "Sylvie and Bruno", "Phantasmagoria and Other Poems" & "Algebraic Formulae and Rules".

Spoiler
Who is Lewis Carroll? Karla said Verne; Greg said Wilde; Adam said Byron.

Adam Holquist: $12,200-$3,001=$9,199...now a 2-day champion with $36,299
Greg Haroutunian: $7,000-$6,998=$2
Karla Stahl: $6,700-$6,698=$2
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Was it me, or was Karla guessing a heck of a lot? Some of her guesses were way off, too (e.g. "St. Lawrence").

Headaches and Jeopardy! don't mix. I had 2/30 in both rounds. I was choking on a lot of answers I'd have gotten normally, such as Hudson River, fringe, glass ceiling, "laughs last", dawn, etc. etc.

"Pinter Pause" seemed way, way, way undervlaued at $200.

I saw no way to figure out "Fantasy football" on Websites for $200 either. Only website I could tease out was Find a Grave, but I was blanking on it. ("Oh, what's that site where you can find a grave?")

Detroit was my only get in Rivers. I'm surprised it was a TS.

…And of course, since I'm absolute s**t in the main game, I get a triple-stumper FJ! right. I swear, my performance in the main game is inversely proportional to my getting FJ! right.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Sad that none of the three could think of a 19th century author who was also a mathematician (Twas brillig and the slithy toves...)
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

This was an absolutely hideous game for me. I did decently enough in the J! Round (ran Websites), but DJ! was embarassing. I blanked on all of the Governors -- despite following the Republican primaries closely (Huckabee and Pawlenty) and having lived in New York City through all of David Paterson's term. I thankfully got the Huson River, but couldn't think of the Delaware River, despite having grown up in New Jersey. Yikes.

The final, however, was an insta-get for me; so I suppose there's some redemption in locking down a triple stumper. It helps that I read a biography of Carroll in high school; the first two pieces listed are obscure works of his, but if you knew he was a professor of mathematics at Oxford, it was a gimme.

Congratulations to kickerofelves on another win! :)
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

Just out of curiosity, with the runners-up having tied scores, what is the process for determining who gets $1,000 and who gets $2,000? Is it just that whoever had the higher score before Double Jeopardy gets the $2K? (Anyone know what happens if the pre-FJ scores are tied?)

Also, since I signed up for the boards just to ask that question, I may as well ask something else I've always been curious about -- what happens if the winner ends up with less than $2,000? Is there a guaranteed amount for first place? If I win with $500 and then I end up in third the next show, will I end up making less than the second-place player in the first show?

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I am a longtime reader, first-time poster. Thanks!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started out with Verne, but decided the works did not sound French and then remembered Carroll was a mathematician.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I saw no way to figure out "Fantasy football" on Websites for $200 either.
Fantasy baseball was first referred to as rotisserie baseball. If you know anything at all about fantasy sports (other than they exist), you know that.
whysinclair
Contributor

Post by whysinclair »

Found Final J easy tonight... guess none of the contestants are much into the films of Marilyn Manson.
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

whysinclair wrote:Found Final J easy tonight... guess none of the contestants are much into the films of Marilyn Manson.
... You're going to have to explain this one.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I saw no way to figure out "Fantasy football" on Websites for $200 either.
Fantasy baseball was first referred to as rotisserie baseball. If you know anything at all about fantasy sports (other than they exist), you know that.
The problem was, I rang in on my ballpoint pen and all I could think of was "What is a rotisserie league?" Because that's what they're called. Sigh.
TryphonTournesol

Post by TryphonTournesol »

Complete train wreck of a game for me. Lowest total yet in both rounds as well as combined, had no clue on FJ, negged FOUR times in DJ including twice on geography questions. Thank God I didn't make it on the show and get stuck with this stinker. Woof.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Despite being an actor and having done a scene from "Betrayal", I've never heard of the phrase "Pinter Pause" and stayed clam.

I guess kickerofelves will explain himself here later about how he missed FJ. My guess is pressure because any 19th Century literature question that includes some mathematical reference is Pavlovian for Carroll.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

Poor showing for me tonight - blanked on the FJ and was fairly awful in DJ. Did get a couple TS's on FindAGrave and baby. I'll blame it on lack of sleep - I don't normally do well when tired and the mind is a bit slower. (But it was worth it today for going to see Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke in concert last night!)
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

georgespelvin wrote:Despite being an actor and having done a scene from "Betrayal", I've never heard of the phrase "Pinter Pause" and stayed clam.

I guess kickerofelves will explain himself here later about how he missed FJ. My guess is pressure because any 19th Century literature question that includes some mathematical reference is Pavlovian for Carroll.
"Pinter Pause" sounded logical to me, as did Carroll. I didn't know either one for sure.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My scorecard did not like this game with 34/60 and a 23200 Coryat. The Combined Coryat for the players was 23600 and they all missed the FJ clue, so there are small victories.

Linked In would work for the SHC. For J! clues in regular time? No chance at Breech Baby Grand or Third Base Metal plus the other two I can't recall and don't want to remember.

A miss is as good as a mile is unknown? Proverbs can be funny things as I see lifelines used all the time on Millionaire for such things as well.

Movie Guns made it easy to root for Adam since I saw Grindhouse opening day for a great theater experience.

Smith & Wesson? 2:10 - 2:23 as part of one of the greatest scenes in movie history (although violent)

Sometimes it takes more than one try to solve the FJ clue. I looked at the titles, picked up on the math angle and first thought of Newton. Of couse the century and category name were eliminators. Phantasmagoria sounded like something HG Wells could have written and I put him on the paper since the century and category were fine. Another look at "Algebraic" finally woke me up for the proper switch as it's like Alex said about the author and math.

Adam's second win wasn't pretty and he was fortunate Karla and Greg were mostly even. If Greg could have done more with his DD than 800+2000 then he could have been in position to win on the TS FJ clue. Adam would have needed $5000 instead of $2000 on his DD for the lock. While there were likely many at home salivating at Rivers/Bridges in the $1200 box at home, I get how Adam kept the wager reasonable.

[ETA: Corrected combined Coryat to 23600 instead of 23000]
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

ElendilPickle wrote: "Pinter Pause" sounded logical to me, as did Carroll. I didn't know either one for sure.
"Boy, this thing has more pauses than a Pinter play." - Tom Servo

And thank you, Annotated Alice (not that I probably wouldn't have gotten it without it, but it did make "Sylvie and Bruno" jump out at me.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

mdude04 wrote:Just out of curiosity, with the runners-up having tied scores, what is the process for determining who gets $1,000 and who gets $2,000? Is it just that whoever had the higher score before Double Jeopardy gets the $2K? (Anyone know what happens if the pre-FJ scores are tied?)
I think it's whoever's in the lead going into FJ.
mdude04 wrote:Also, since I signed up for the boards just to ask that question, I may as well ask something else I've always been curious about -- what happens if the winner ends up with less than $2,000? Is there a guaranteed amount for first place? If I win with $500 and then I end up in third the next show, will I end up making less than the second-place player in the first show?

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but I am a longtime reader, first-time poster. Thanks!
No guaranteed amount for first place.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
mdude04 wrote:Just out of curiosity, with the runners-up having tied scores, what is the process for determining who gets $1,000 and who gets $2,000? Is it just that whoever had the higher score before Double Jeopardy gets the $2K? (Anyone know what happens if the pre-FJ scores are tied?)
I think it's whoever's in the lead going into FJ.
My recollection is it's who gave the last correct answer. Seems strange but that sticks in my mind.

Well, three FJ misses in a row for me. I said Pascal because Sylvie and Bruno sounded French and I knew he was a polymath. Too bad he lived in the 17th century. :o