My e-book on my "Jeopardy!" experience now available

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

My e-book on my "Jeopardy!" experience now available

Post by BADuBois »

Hello all...

Brendan DuBois here, also known by my not-so-mysterious handle "BADuBois." I'm a suspense and mystery writer who became "Jeopardy!" champion on Friday, September 28th, and who was quickly dethroned the following game, by Joanna Mang who started out shaky and roared back to hand my proverbial butt to me on Monday, October 1st. :D

While I was doing the on-line test, going through the audition and the tapings, I knew at sometime I would write about my "Jeopardy!" experience, and now I have. It's called "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'" and it's available on the Kindle, Nook and Smashwords e-book platforms. It's based on my notes, memories, taped programs and "Jeopardy!" paperwork. Any mistakes contained within are entirely my own, and I'm sure there are a few here and there.

For those looking for a gritty, tell-all and hard-hitting investigative piece of work can look elsewhere. This is an affectionate, humorous and --- I hope! --- somewhat informative piece about what it's like to be thrust into the wonderful world of "Jeopardy!" I make no claims to be another Ken Jennings or Bob Harris --- this is just one person's view of what went on. As others say, "your mileage may vary."

I also have to point out that this work is not authorized by "Jeopardy!", CBS, Sony or any other company associated with "Jeopardy!" All of those companies are trademarked organizations, and I have no intention to infringe upon their copyright or trademark.

Having said that, writing this e-book was more of a chore than I had anticipated. Once my second program aired on October 1st, I thought I could whip something out by the end of the month, maybe 70 or 80 pages if I wrote with really, really big fonts. Alas, it's nearly 145 pages, and I just finished it last week. Plus, comparatively speaking writing non-fiction is hard! It's so much easier --- and fun! --- to make things up.

I would also like to thank the incredible people at "Jeopardy!" who take a bunch of over-educated strangers and manage to mold them into contestants in a matter of hours. And I'd also like to thank my fellow contestants --- and board members, perhaps --- who I met during my show's tapings, and who appear within the book. At first I thought of leaving names out, or using just first names, but then that just seemed ridiculous, based upon how easy it is to track down who played what when, mostly thanks to this board.

And in conclusion --- jeepers, DuBois, you're one long-winded son-of-a-gun, aren't you --- my deepest thanks to this board, its administrators and moderators. I felt truly welcome the first time I arrived ---- jibber-jabber notwithstanding --- and I only wish I had come here earlier. It might have made all the difference... but maybe not. That's why it's called a gameshow, right?

Here are the links to my e-book:

Kindle http://www.amazon.com/Short-Happy-Life- ... ardy%21%22

Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/my-shor ... 0016548845

Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/306265

And thanks once again to everyone in the "Jeopardy!" universe; besides having lots of fun and meeting some wonderful people, I do feel incredibly blessed,

Brendan
http://www.BrendanDuBois.com
Attachments
DuBoisJ.jpeg
DuBoisJ.jpeg (107.2 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: My e-book on my "Jeopardy!" experience now available

Post by Woof »

Congratulations, Brendan! You now going to change your screen name to Francis Macomber? :mrgreen:
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

Woof wrote:Congratulations, Brendan! You now going to change your screen name to Francis Macomber? :mrgreen:
Thanks for the good wishes... and considering how Francis Macomber ended, I think I'll stick with what I got... :lol:
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

$2.99? A bargain! Purchased! :)

-a.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Congrats, Brendan!! It's already in my Amazon cloud.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Any plans on making a paperback or hardcover version? (I have sworn to never ever touch a Kindle, or Nook.)
kickerofelves
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by kickerofelves »

ahirbhairav wrote:Any plans on making a paperback or hardcover version? (I have sworn to never ever touch a Kindle, or Nook.)
You don't have to touch a Kindle or a Nook. I don't have either of those widgets either... If you do the Smashwords option in Brendan's original post, you can get it in a variety of formats, including regular old .PDF (that's what I did...)
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

ahirbhairav wrote:Any plans on making a paperback or hardcover version? (I have sworn to never ever touch a Kindle, or Nook.)
You don't need another device. You can read ebooks on your PC, Mac, tablet, phone, etc. with available free software.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Wow! One of my favorite authors, writing about one of my favorite subjects! Thanks, Brendan!
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

kickerofelves wrote:$2.99? A bargain! Purchased! :)

-a.
Adam, thanks! I think you were probably the very first... hope you enjoy it.
RandyG wrote:Congrats, Brendan!! It's already in my Amazon cloud.
Randy, thanks so much! Hope you like it!
I may, but due to its length, no publisher would touch it, so I'd have to do it myself. It depends, I guess, on how much interest there is, and as others have noted here, you don't need a Kindle or Nook to read it.
pinkfreud wrote:Wow! One of my favorite authors, writing about one of my favorite subjects! Thanks, Brendan!
You're quite welcome, and thanks! I've written lots of fiction, but this was my first book-length non-fiction piece, which was *very* challenging, but I'm so glad I did it.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and good wishes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

kickerofelves wrote:$2.99? A bargain! Purchased! :)

-a.
Ditto!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Your mug has replaced the backgammon app as the lead on my Kindle Fire carousel.

As you say, "Any mistakes contained within are entirely my own, and I'm sure there are a few here and there."

If we spot any typos or have comments about the book should we post, PM or ignore? I don't know anything about Amazon publishing and if the submission is final or the author can edit?

Anyway it's just very minor things like:

Introduction - "on Tuesdays and Wednesday most every week" (230 shows, 10 a week, so only 23 weeks out of 52)

Two pages into Who I Am - "I'm just always had a thirst for reading... (I've?)

My First Try To Get On "Jeopardy! - "...The Westin Hotel at Copley Place in Boston" (With interest due to the tragic events of yesterday, is this hotel anywhere near the marathon route?)

Years Later, My Second Try - "...I jumped into writing fulltime" (I'm used to seeing full time or full-time.)

So those are the kind of things that catch my eye while I'm enjoying reading so far. Congrats on completing the project and best wishes for many readers and purchases.
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

MarkBarrett wrote:Your mug has replaced the backgammon app as the lead on my Kindle Fire carousel.

As you say, "Any mistakes contained within are entirely my own, and I'm sure there are a few here and there."

If we spot any typos or have comments about the book should we post, PM or ignore? I don't know anything about Amazon publishing and if the submission is final or the author can edit?
Mark, thanks for the honor of being your lead on your Kindle... as to mistakes and such... send me a PM if you don't mind, and I can fix them fairly easy... both Kindle and Nook allow you to upload new versions... Smashwords... sigh, I think they call it that because you feel like smashing your keyboard while trying to format.
MarkBarrett wrote: So those are the kind of things that catch my eye while I'm enjoying reading so far. Congrats on completing the project and best wishes for many readers and purchases.
You've got a sharp eye... and thanks for the good wishes.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

kickerofelves wrote:
You don't have to touch a Kindle or a Nook. I don't have either of those widgets either... If you do the Smashwords option in Brendan's original post, you can get it in a variety of formats, including regular old .PDF (that's what I did...)
Thanks for the Smashwords tip. I wish I had known about the pdf and other options before I went for the Kindle version. Future reference.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

You can download a free Kindle app for your computer and read that way, if you like.

Congratulations, Brendan!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

BADuBois wrote: You've got a sharp eye... and thanks for the good wishes.
Thanks, I'll PM anything else that occurs to me. For public consumption I hit the Facebook link on the Amazon page to utilize one aspect of social media and getting the word out on books. It won't get as many eyes as the blitz for the Bob Harris book, but I do have game show fans on my friends list.
BADuBois

Post by BADuBois »

ElendilPickle wrote: Congratulations, Brendan!
Thank you, JBoarder of the Month!
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thanks, I'll PM anything else that occurs to me. For public consumption I hit the Facebook link on the Amazon page to utilize one aspect of social media and getting the word out on books. It won't get as many eyes as the blitz for the Bob Harris book, but I do have game show fans on my friends list.
That's quite considerate, Mark, I appreciate it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maybe someone can ask Bob (Harris) if he'd plug it?
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

I'm definitely going to get it, Brendan!

BTW, great name. That's what I want to name our non-existent son.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There's one good thing about naming non-existent children -- you don't have to agree with your spouse on it.