Thursday, April 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6589, 2013-04-18

CONTESTANTS
Darren Abernethy, a telecommunications attorney from Washington, D.C.
Judy Arginteanu, a freelance writer and editor from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Michelle Martin, a journalist from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you very much Johnny Gilbert, and thank you ladies and gentlemen. Welcome aboard. You know, even in these difficult economic times, Jeopardy! has been doing its bit to help people deal with their financial difficulties. I should point out that a lot of our champions, many of the Jeopardy! champions in recent weeks have averaged over $20,000 per win. Michelle is our current champion who picked up 24 grand yesterday. Judy and Darren, will you help make it happen again today? Let's start finding out. Good luck to all three of you. Here are the categories now for this Jeopardy! round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MINNE-CODA (5/5)
LESSER-KNOWN FAITHS (5/5)
THE EMMY FOR... (4/5)
THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT (5/5)
BEASTLY COMMON BONDS (5/5)
PORTMANTEAUS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Judy: 15 R (including 4 rebounds), 0 W
Michelle: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Darren: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Judy: $5,200
Michelle: $200
Darren: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Darren Abernethy is from Washington, D.C., and I hope you're a Robbie Burns fan, because you have an extensive collection of his poems. Tell me about it.

Darren: That's right. My grandfather, uh, his parents are from Scotland, and they passed down to him, who passed down to my father, uh, an authentic edition of Robert Burns poems.

Alex: Now are these poems, some of these poems, poems that we the average buyers couldn't find in stores?

Darren: Yes.

Alex: Yeah?

Darren: Yes, they are old.

Alex: And do you have any favorites among them?

Darren: Uh, "To a Mouse" is nice.

Alex: Yeah. Oh, well, that's, we all know that one.

Darren: One of them.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Judy Arginteanu from Minneapolis, Minnesota, freelance writer and editor, and you work for a variety of clients. Tell me about that.

Judy: Well, I work for a fine craft magazine, and I work for a woodworking magazine which is pretty amazing, because I really didn't know much about woodworking before I started.

Alex: Which magazine is that one?

Judy: It's called American Woodworker.

Alex: Ah.

Judy: Um, I can theoretically now understand how to build a cabinet.

Alex: Well, I bought some woodworking tools about a year and a half ago, and now I get these magazines sent to me on a regular basis, and, showing me how to do things, and also touting all the latest tools that are available.

Judy: CNC router.

Alex: Yes, okay.

Alex: Michelle Martin is a writer also. She's a journalist who writes a daily column, is it?

Michelle: No. It's, it comes out in every issue of a biweekly newspaper, every two weeks.

Alex: Okay. Now is your column a little bit like Erma Bombeck's? You write about funny stuff, family-related stuff?

Michelle: Pretty much, yes. I'm not quite as funny as Erma. I couldn't claim that.

Alex: But she's never been a contestant on Jeopardy! and you have.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michelle found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Michelle had $2,400, Judy had $8,200, and Darren had a deficit with -$400. Michelle wagered $1,000.

PORTMANTEAUS $600: In 1949 Milton Berle hosted the first of these one the tube, for the Damon Runyon memorial cancer fund

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE EMMY FOR... $800: Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie, 2012: playing Sarah Palin was a "game change"r
(Michelle: Who is Tina Fey?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Judy: $8,200
Michelle: $4,200
Darren: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 18, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AUTHORS AGAINST ADAPTATIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
12-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
SIGNS & SYMBOLS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VWLLSS AFRICAN COUNTRIES (5/5)
FAMOUS NAMES (4/5)
PORTMAN TOES (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michelle: 11 R, 2 W
Judy: 9 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Darren: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Judy snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Michelle had $5,400, Judy had $9,400, and Darren was at $1,800. Judy wagered $2,000.

AUTHORS AGAINST ADAPTATIONS $1600: Winston Groom's sequel to this book says, "don't never let nobody make a movie of your life's story"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Judy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Michelle had $5,400, Judy had $13,000, and Darren was at $2,600. Judy wagered $3,000.

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $1600: Not a property, it's represented on the Monopoly board by a diamond ring

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS AGAINST ADAPTATIONS $2000: Bret Easton Ellis felt this "American" book never should have been filmed, as it had an unreliable narrator
(Judy: What is Psycho?)
(Michelle: What is Werewolf?)

FAMOUS NAMES $2000: This crime syndicate leader outlived his pal Bugsy Siegel by 36 years, dying Jan. 15, 1983 in Miami Beach

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $2000: This planet's symbol is not an "h" but a sickle or scythe and may represent the Roman god of agriculture
(Darren: What is...?)

12-LETTER WORDS $2000: Negative adjective meaning refusing to take a stand or express one's feelings
(Michelle: What is fence-sitting?)
[End-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Judy: $20,000 (lock game)
Michelle: $9,400
Darren: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Judy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Michelle: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Darren: You've no hope of catching up... unless Michelle does something stupid. So risk $2,999.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1990 she became the first modern head of government to give birth while in office, to a daughter named Bakhtawar

FINAL SCORES
Darren: $3,000 + $0 = $3,000 (Who is Bhutto) (3rd place: $1,000)
Michelle: $9,400 + $3,399 = $12,799 (Who is Benazir Bhutto?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Judy: $20,000 + $1,000 = $21,000 (Who is Benazir Bhutto?) (New champion: $21,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Judy: $18,200, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Michelle: $9,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 5 W
Darren: $3,000, 11 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Judy: 25/60 = .417
Michelle: 19/59 = .322
Darren: 12/58 = .207
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LESSER-KNOWN FAITHS $400: The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster practices this religion, one letter off from the name of a Jamaican sect
(Michelle: What is pasta?)
(Alex: I need more than that.)

MINNE-CODA $400: "You're gonna make it after all" is how the theme to this Minneapolis-set '70s sitcom ends
(Darren: What is Laverne & Shirley?)

MINNE-CODA $1000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Minnesota once stretched as far west as the Missouri River; when it became a state in 1858, its land area was pulled back to this river, that forms its entire border with North Dakota

THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT $200: He's a governor now, but here's how he looked running for president in 1976

THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT $400: A war hero, he earned his party's nomination on his third run

THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT $600: Twice Green, twice independent, four times a loser

THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT $800: Despite no shortage of funds, he lost as an independent and again on the Reform Party ticket

THEY RAN FOR PRESIDENT $1000: This prosecutor and governor first got the GOP nomination in 1944
(Darren: Who is Wilkie?)

BEASTLY COMMON BONDS $600: musk,
sika,
white-tailed
(Darren: What is an ox?)

THE EMMY FOR... $200: Lead Actor in a Comedy, 2002: everybody loved him
(Michelle: Who is Raymond?)

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $400: It's the three-word warning symbolized here

SIGNS & SYMBOLS $1200: It's the accent in the name of Mystère by Cirque du Soleil at Treasure Island

CORRECT RESPONSES
telethon
Julianne Moore
Forrest Gump
luxury tax
American Psycho
Meyer Lansky
Saturn
noncommittal
Benazir Bhutto
pastafarian
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Red River of the North
Jerry Brown
Robert Dole
Ralph Nader
(Ross) Perot
(Thomas) Dewey
deer
(Ray) Romano
slippery when wet
accent grave
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

World Leaders
In 1990 she became the first modern head of government to give birth while in office, to a daughter named Bakhtawar.

Spoiler
Who is Benazir Bhutto?

Judy Arginteanu: $20,000+$1,000=$21,000...now a 1-day champion with $21,000
Michelle Martin: $9,400+$3,399=$12,799
Darren Abernethy: $3,000+$0=$3,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Let me be the first to say "fence sitting" was rightfully negged, despite having 12 letters. It is two words and they were looking for one words.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Let me be the first to say "fence sitting" was rightfully negged, despite having 12 letters. It is two words and they were looking for one words.
It's also not a "negative word" (the correct response had a "non" in it, which is what I think that "negative" was put there for, to steer you in that direction ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

4/5 in Portmanteau. I saw no way to get "flirting" out of $400.

Can't believe I went 0/5 on Beastly Common Bonds. $200 threw me because I wasn't sure where they were going. And I've never heard of any of the breeds that were brought up except Appaloosa, Mako, and anole, so non was enough to get me to the respective species.

Now 0/5 in Ran for President, I'm not surprised about.

Surprised myself with a get on Kelsey Grammer = Sideshow Bob, since I don't watch The Simpsons. I think I picked that up when researching Gary the Rat and being surprised at just how many VA roles Kelsey has.

4/5 on Signs & Symbols (missed only $2000), and 3/5 in African countries. I keep forgetting Angola is a country, and Algeria just wasn't coming.

What the heck was that Damon clue (Famous Names for $1200) talking about? I have no idea where Damon came from with Affleck.

Not a guess on FJ! I've heard the name Benazir Bhutto, but didn't even know so much as that she is female.
Bamaman wrote:Let me be the first to say "fence sitting" was rightfully negged, despite having 12 letters. It is two words and they were looking for one words.
Isn't "cockle shells" two words too?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Does anyone have a copy of this game, and if so, can you please send it to me? It got pre-empted in Dallas for the Boston Bombing Prayer Service.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Somebody tell me how tomorrow ends. I canot take another thirty minutes of that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Judy certainly was emotive ...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:Somebody tell me how tomorrow ends. I canot take another thirty minutes of that.
Doubt Maggie could either, so maybe she fixed it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Judy certainly was emotive ...
It wasn't that. I can handle emotive. It was "Oh, no! I hit a Daily Double. Now what am I supposed to do?" And, as if that wasn't enough, "Holy crap! I hit another one! In spite of getting the earlier one, I still don't know what I should do." Did she never watch the game before? Does she not know what Daily Doubles are and how they are used in the game? Did she really go into the game hoping beyond hope that she never hit one and not even think about the possibility that she might do so?

And then the responses. Sheesh!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Portmanteau. I saw no way to get "flirting" out of $400.
The portmanteau was "smirting"; smoking was a given, so you're looking for a word ending in -irting that people are likely to do at bars. Really only one choice.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What the heck was that Damon clue (Famous Names for $1200) talking about? I have no idea where Damon came from with Affleck.
Matt Damon + Ben Affleck.

Thought of Bhutto right away, then wondered if I was off on my timelines of both her and Indira Gandhi.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Said Indira Gandhi for FJ!, though it should be counted as a "just write something down" answer—I was debating whether or not Indira Ghandi was still alive at that point, and really didn't think so.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in Portmanteau. I saw no way to get "flirting" out of $400.
The portmanteau was "smirting"; smoking was a given, so you're looking for a word ending in -irting that people are likely to do at bars. Really only one choice.
And I came up totally blank. I couldn't think of any words ending in "irting".
marpocky wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What the heck was that Damon clue (Famous Names for $1200) talking about? I have no idea where Damon came from with Affleck.
"Matt" was in the clue? And what does he have to do with Ben Affleck?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Enjoyed this game, and yes, Judy was *quite* emotive. And I think Alex instantly fell in love with her once she mentioned she worked at a woodworking magazine.

Swept Authors, and who ran for President, and even managed to puzzle out some of the lesser-known religions.

Talk about odd timing... there was a clue concerning disgraced NY Congressman Anthony Weiner and sexting, and just a few days ago, the NYT Sunday Magazine had a cover story about his planning a political comeback, running for Mayor of New York.

FJ was a hold-on-I-think-I-know-this-get... I was pretty sure that Ghandi had been dead for a while before that, being assassinated.

Curious to see if Judy is still as emotive tomorrow.

--- Brendan
Author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
marpocky wrote:
"Matt" was in the clue? And what does he have to do with Ben Affleck?
No, Matt was not in the clue. It was something like "Friend of Pythias or Affleck", referencing the Greek legend of Damon and Pythias and the well-known real-life friendship (and frequent collaboration) of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StrangerCoug wrote:I was debating whether or not Indira Ghandi was still alive at that point, and really didn't think so.
You'd'a probably done better debating whether she might have been of child-bearing age, rather than simply being alive.

Just sayin'.

Brian

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

marpocky wrote:No, Matt was not in the clue. It was something like "Friend of Pythias or Affleck", referencing the Greek legend of Damon and Pythias and the well-known real-life friendship (and frequent collaboration) of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
You mean the legend that gets absolutely no other hits on the archive? Yeah, totally common knowledge, that one.

Damon/Affleck I'll forgive due to my apathy towards actors in general.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

marpocky wrote:No, Matt was not in the clue. It was something like "Friend of Pythias or Affleck", referencing the Greek legend of Damon and Pythias and the well-known real-life friendship (and frequent collaboration) of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
Don't feed.

Brian

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
StrangerCoug wrote:I was debating whether or not Indira Ghandi was still alive at that point, and really didn't think so.
You'd'a probably done better debating whether she might have been of child-bearing age, rather than simply being alive.

Just sayin'.

Brian
Gandhi was killed in 1984 and would have been 72 when Bhutto's baby was born.

I got FJ pretty quickly. Wrote down her full name but crossed out her first name for fear of spelling it wrong.