Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 29, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Magazines
Celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2013, 5280 magazine is a guide to this city.

Spoiler
What is Denver? Kathy said Beijing.

Larry Krajewski: $18,600+$3,000=$21,600...now a 1-day champion with $21,600
Kathy DeLozier: $4,400-$2,801=$1,599
George McAleese: $3,600+$1,601=$5,201
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

I have a vested interest in the outcome of tonight's game:
If the current champ loses, I get bumped off the "Winner's Circle" section of the Jeopardy! website.
Let's go George!!!
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Pretty good Final Jeopardy! At first I thought it was a ZIP code, missing a leading 0, and figured something on the east coast (WAGged Boston). Then I figured that the number was a reference to lattitude (52º80'N) but realized a) that'd be outside the US (although there wasn't anything saying it couldn't be non-American, as the answer from the female contestant whose name I forget showed) and b) there is no 52º80'N. I was then focussed on the red herring, trying to think what significance 1993 (the year of its launch) could be (made me think of the eastern Bloc for some reason). Settled with Boston, knowing it was wrong, and having the obvious never be made clear (althugh, to be honest, the fact that there are 5280 feet in a mile isn't something that comes to my mind often, I don't know if that's because I grew up metricated or not, but it just isn't something I think about.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Why is it that whenever I get really excited about a category the contestants avoid it like the plague?
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

I'm almost too afraid to ask, but can "Neptune" be accepted for "Poseidon"?
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

thejeopardyfan wrote:I'm almost too afraid to ask, but can "Neptune" be accepted for "Poseidon"?
Depends if the clue specifies Roman or Greek (which they sometimes do by using only Greek or Roman names for other gods).
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Depends if the clue specifies Roman or Greek (which they sometimes do by using only Greek or Roman names for other gods).
Oh, the clue is in Revenge, and it's: "To get revenge on Odysseus, Polyphemus prayed to this sea god, his dad, who made it hard for Odysseus to get home."
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

lisa0012 wrote:Why is it that whenever I get really excited about a category the contestants avoid it like the plague?

This is why I wish Rich Fields were J!'s announcer. I'd have turned the category into "SPOKEN WORD: HITS OF 1988" a la NAME THE VIDEO with RF orating the lyrics, but don't know if J! shares rights with NTV/Johnny Gilbert is ready to retire.
TomC4253
Valued Contributor

Post by TomC4253 »

TomC4253 wrote:I have a vested interest in the outcome of tonight's game:
If the current champ loses, I get bumped off the "Winner's Circle" section of the Jeopardy! website.
Let's go George!!!
Oh well, it was fun being in the "Winner's Circle" for just over a month!
No, no, no! There's no crying in Jeopardy!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Oh. 5280.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thejeopardyfan wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
Oh, the clue is in Revenge, and it's: "To get revenge on Odysseus, Polyphemus prayed to this sea god, his dad, who made it hard for Odysseus to get home."
So, that'd be a negative. Only Poseidon works.

Insta-get FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Missed the first half of J! because someone can't read a clock. Also have a headache and feeling really tense.

I only got three in DJ!, all in Anagrams. Mollusk was there, but not coming to me.

Larry was really really really really sloooooooooooow in picking clues. It must've taken him a good 15 seconds to spit out 1988 Lyrics for $400.

5280 = Mile = Mile High City = Denver. Had it before Alex finished the clue.
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:This is why I wish Rich Fields were J!'s announcer. I'd have turned the category into "SPOKEN WORD: HITS OF 1988" a la NAME THE VIDEO with RF orating the lyrics, but don't know if J! shares rights with NTV/Johnny Gilbert is ready to retire.
Oh sweet crap, the thought of him screeching "Here it CAAAAAAAHMS! From The Sony Pictures Studios, THIS! IS! JEOPARDEEEEEEE!" like Gilbert Gottfried after a crate of Red Bull…
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I got FJ quickly. I'm pretty sure I've literally *seen* 5280 Magazine, even though I've never lived anywhere near Denver.

I have visited Denver just once, but I've stood on the one particular step on the State Capitol that's labeled as being exactly one mile above sea level.

I guess the exact date of 1993 wasn't super-duper relevant -- it's more like "Name a city bearing some relationship to the number 5280, that's also experienced an increase in importance and/or in population over the past couple of decades."

(Sometimes, a very rough guide to the "importance" of a city is the number of major league sports teams there, and I'm pretty sure that both the Rockies and the Avalanche started their Denver years around the early to mid 90s.)

Other observations:

For "State Facts" at $1000, I knew the most populous state in the Midwest was probably either Ohio or Illinois, but I wasn't confident enough in either one to pull the trigger.

For "Government Agencies" at $2000, I committed exactly the same neg as George with "Border Patrol".

For "Anagrams" at $2000, I finally got the correct answer just before Alex said it, but the beeping had started so I suppose I can't count it. I can only count it toward my personal pride.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:
ComingUpMilhouse wrote:
So, that'd be a negative. Only Poseidon works.

Insta-get FJ.
Yeah, Poseidon is much easier to get than Neptune but Odysseus(I doubt that they will give a clue about Ulysses, that'd be across the Bloomsday questions) is in the given so we must go Greek on this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

skullturf wrote:and I'm pretty sure that both the Rockies and the Avalanche started their Denver years around the early to mid 90s.
1993 and 1995, respectively.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

lisa0012 wrote:Why is it that whenever I get really excited about a category the contestants avoid it like the plague?
1988 No. 1 lyrics? WOnder what songs would have gotten a mention besides Kokomo? Faith? Father FIgure? Foolish Beat? Roll WIth It? DOn't Worry Be Happy? Look Away? WIshing Well?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Did anybody else think Alex trying to sound sexy during Sexy Potpourri was just... odd?

Doctor J, I'm sure your opinion would be valued in this... ;)

Oh my, crashed and burned on FJ. For some reason I thought the number referred to a Zip Code with the first zero dropped, and once my mind settled on that piece of nonsense, I did a wild ass guess of San Francisco. D'oh!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Fifty two, 80... fifty two, eighty...fifty two, eighty. I got nuthin. Five thousand two hundred and eighty. Oh, right. I think there may be a lesson there.