Wednesday, May 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6598, 2013-05-01

CONTESTANTS
John Anneken, a postdoctoral researcher from Cincinnati, Ohio
Deborah Smith, a project manager from Washington, D.C.
Larry Krajewski, a postal worker from Safety Harbor, Florida (whose 2-day cash winnings total $38,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Nice to have you with us once again for a half-hour of watching Larry come up with a lot of correct responses. But Deborah and John are not gonna stand by idly while he comes up with correct responses. They're gonna try to beat him on that signaling device. Let's see how it works out. Good luck. Here we go. And here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TRAVEL & TOURISM (4/5)
PULITZER-WINNING NOVELS (3/5)
RING MAGAZINE'S GREATEST TITLE FIGHTS (5/5)
THE DAILY QUADRUPLE (3/3)
THE MOST POPULOUS NATION (5/5)
MY INVENTION WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Larry: 5 R, 1 W
Deborah: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $5,800
Larry: $200
Deborah: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Anneken is from the Queen City, Cincinnati, Ohio, where he works as a beer vendor...

John: That's correct.

Alex: ...at the Reds Stadium, and this year, for the first time after selling beer there for 10 years, you finally did --

John: I finally caught a foul ball. It was late in the season --September --and I was selling two beers to someone down an aisle, and a foul ball came right over my head and hit off the front of the upper deck, came down. I caught it one-handed in my left hand.

Alex: Good for you. You would have been very popular at that moment. Do you get to keep the ball?

John: Unfortunately, as an employee, I had to give it away, but I gave it to a kid sitting next to me, and his dad bought a soda and gave me a $20 bill and said, "keep it," so I think it worked out best for both of us.

Alex: I'm glad you gave the kid the ball and not a beer.

John: Oh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Deborah Smith, project manager from Washington, D.C. --this lady spoke Chinese before she spoke English. Why is that?

Deborah: I was born and raised in Hong Kong because my parents were missionaries there.

Alex: I see. Now, we're talking about Cantonese or Mandarin?

Deborah: Cantonese, yes.

Alex: You still speak it, though.

Deborah: [speaks Cantonese] A little bit.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Larry Krajewski is our champ. He's a postal worker. Now, there are times when things come up in the news that are taken out of context, and it makes you wonder. If I told you that his boat was run over by a train, that would pique your interest, wouldn't it? What happened?

Larry: Well, we were out fishing on Long Island Sound, and we had to go under a railroad bridge, which was on the level. And as long as the tide is low, you can get under, no problem. When we were going through, we had tarried out there, and then we decided to go under the bridge. And a train came over, and it pushed the boat down, and water was coming in the sides when the train went over. Then we popped back up, and then we had to push ourselves through.

Alex: Oh, boy.

Larry: It was scary.

Alex: I'm sure it was.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Larry had $200, Deborah was scoreless, and John was at $7,000. John wagered $4,000.

MY INVENTION WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME $1000: On Oct. 15, 1863 this Confederate & 7 others sank on the sub that bore his name
(John: Who is... Harris?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TRAVEL & TOURISM $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew walks along the beach.) It's the good life in the three beach cities south of Los Angeles -- Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and this one, whose name means "beautiful"

MY INVENTION WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME $600: Installing his rotary one of these for a newspaper, William Bullock got his foot fatally stuck in the gears

PULITZER-WINNING NOVELS $600: 1989:
these "Lessons"
(Deborah: What is Piano?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

PULITZER-WINNING NOVELS $800: 1990:
they "Play Songs of Love"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $5,000
Larry: $1,200
Deborah: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"C" BIRDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AN ANTONYM OF (4/5)
MY 3 SONGS (4/5)
DEFINING THE UNDEFINABLE (4/5)
STOP & SMELL (5/5) (Alex: We want you to...)
THE ROOSEVELTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 15 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Larry: 8 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Deborah: 1 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Larry snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Larry had $3,600, Deborah had $600, and John was at $8,200. Larry wagered $3,000.

THE ROOSEVELTS $1200: TR was the first president to leave the U.S. while in office, traveling to this Central American country in 1906
[Alex reads "TR" as "Teddy Roosevelt".]

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Larry who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Larry had $11,000, Deborah was in the red with -$1,800, and John was at $11,800. Larry wagered $2,000.

"C" BIRDS $1600: One story has it that this duck got its name from being shipped in sacks with labels asking that the sack be returned
(Larry: No idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AN ANTONYM OF $1600: ...secretive is this, also a ballpark food

THE ROOSEVELTS $1600: Archibald Roosevelt served as a section head in this government radio entity from 1949 to 1951

"C" BIRDS $1200: (Alex reports from atop a ship in the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador.) It is said that early sailors would release these birds from a high perch aboard a sailing vessel in hopes that the birds would lead the ship to land
(Deborah: What is a canary?)
(Larry: What is a cormorant?)

DEFINING THE UNDEFINABLE $2000: St. Anselm said this "is that, the greater than which cannot be conceived"
(John: What is perfection?)
(Deborah: What is the best?)

MY 3 SONGS $2000: In the '70s:
"Ain't No Sunshine",
"Lean On Me",
"Use Me"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
John: $17,800
Larry: $9,400
Deborah: -$2,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: And bad news for you, Deborah. You wind up in the red, which means you don't get to compete in Final Jeopardy! However, you will go home with $1,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE THEATRE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
John: Wager $1,001 to cover Larry.
Larry: You have the hope of surpassing John if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $9,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dramatizing a murder from the year 1170, a 1935 T.S. Eliot play aptly had its first performance in this English city

FINAL SCORES
Larry: $9,400 + $9,400 = $18,800 (What is Canterbury) (2nd place: $2,000)
John: $17,800 + $1,111 = $18,911 (What is Canterbury?) (New champion: $18,911)
(Alex: The play was about the murder of Thomas à Becket.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
John: $21,800, 30 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Larry: $9,600, 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Deborah: -$2,200, 4 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $29,200

BATTING AVERAGES
John: 31/59 = .525
Larry: 14/60 = .233
Deborah: 4/58 = .069
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TRAVEL & TOURISM $200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands overlooking a waterfall.) I'm in this state, known for spectacular scenery such as waterfalls; Shoshone Falls, near Twin Falls, is 20 feet higher than Niagara

THE MOST POPULOUS NATION $1000: Haiti,
Jamaica,
Cuba
(Larry: What is Haiti?)
(Deborah: What is Jamaica?)
(Alex: Hey, you ran the category! Way to go!)
[Applause]

TRAVEL & TOURISM $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports.) Here at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort re-created this wizarding village with the help of the "Harry Potter" filmmakers

THE DAILY QUADRUPLE $600: For heart patients, WebMD.com has a "post-quadruple" this procedure "workout"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

THE ROOSEVELTS $2000: With her father Theodore's sudden elevation to the presidency in 1901, she became an instant celebrity

STOP & SMELL $1200: Chemically H2S, this colorless gas is responsible for the foul odor of rotten eggs
(Deborah: What is sulfur?)

"C" BIRDS $2000: The catbird has a meow-like song; this bird hangs around cattle to feed on insects they stir up

DEFINING THE UNDEFINABLE $1600: Christopher Morley said this, which some people "dress for", is "to be able to spend your life in your own way"
(Alex: Right again, with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Horace Hunley
Hermosa Beach
a printing press
Breathing
The Mambo Kings
Panama
a canvasback
frank
the Voice of America
a crow
God
Bill Withers
Canterbury
Idaho
Cuba
Hogsmeade
a bypass
Alice
hydrogen sulfide
a cowbird
success
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Theatre
Dramatizing a murder from the year 1170, a 1935 T.S. Eliot play aptly had its first performance in this English city.

Spoiler
What is Canterbury?

John Anneken: $17,800+$1,111=$18,911...now a 1-day champion with $18,911
Larry Krajewski: $9,400+$9,400=$18,800
Deborah Smith: (-$2,200)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Is it just my imagination, or has 2-player Final Jeopardys always had the tag "second place prize sponsored by Aleve"? Because Deborah does get a prize (Alex even said so), is her $1000 not sponsored by Aleve? Does Aleve only associate themselves with people who make it to Final? Enquiring minds want to know ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Thomas Hearns's "Hitman" is only 1 word.

I've only heard of 2 of those Pulitzer novels.

Instaget FJ.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had one of my best games ever! Especially the DJ round.

And that was despite going 1/5 on "C" birds. Animals are definitely one of my weak spots (along with other "non-academic" categories such as cuisine). However, on the other 25 clues in the DJ round, I went 24 for 25!

I did better than my average in the J round as well, but I also had a 1/5 category in that round. It was the Pulitzer-winning novels category. I'm aware that 20th century literature is another one of my weak spots. (Come to think of it, the Pulitzer list in particular would probably be a good thing to study for somebody who's weak in that area.)

Generally, I tend to be strong in wordplay, popular music, and geography, and fairly decent on presidents. I ran Antonyms and Undefinable and My 3 Songs, and went 4/5 on Roosevelts (the one I missed was the Voice of America one).

After my strong showing, I was a little disappointed to see the FJ category of The Theatre, as drama is yet another one of my weak spots.

However, I was very pleased that the clue was one that could be pieced together by knowing about history, and not necessarily about drama. The 12th century date drew me to who I thought was probably the right person and the right city, although I am unfamiliar with the Eliot play in question and don't know its title (unless the title is just "The Murder of Thomas a Becket").
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

skullturf wrote:I had one of my best games ever! Especially the DJ round.

And that was despite going 1/5 on "C" birds. Animals are definitely one of my weak spots (along with other "non-academic" categories such as cuisine). However, on the other 25 clues in the DJ round, I went 24 for 25!

I did better than my average in the J round as well, but I also had a 1/5 category in that round. It was the Pulitzer-winning novels category. I'm aware that 20th century literature is another one of my weak spots. (Come to think of it, the Pulitzer list in particular would probably be a good thing to study for somebody who's weak in that area.)

Generally, I tend to be strong in wordplay, popular music, and geography, and fairly decent on presidents. I ran Antonyms and Undefinable and My 3 Songs, and went 4/5 on Roosevelts (the one I missed was the Voice of America one).

After my strong showing, I was a little disappointed to see the FJ category of The Theatre, as drama is yet another one of my weak spots.

However, I was very pleased that the clue was one that could be pieced together by knowing about history, and not necessarily about drama. The 12th century date drew me to who I thought was probably the right person and the right city, although I am unfamiliar with the Eliot play in question and don't know its title (unless the title is just "The Murder of Thomas a Becket").
It's called "Murder in the Cathedral."
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Count me in as well as someone who was happy to see the FJ clue was less theater and more history, and a fairly easy one at that.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Instaget FJ, which was nice. The woman in the middle (can't remember her name, sadly) was a perfect example of why you should stay clam instead of guessing. Her hole just got deeper and deeper. Larry made it an interesting game at the end, there!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

No, Deborah (the woman in the middle) was a perfect example of why you shouldn't wear red.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Bill Withers! Yeah, baby, bring it on! Obscure 70's singers is a wheelhouse. Though not so much as 60s singers, or really obscure 50's singers/groups. Perhaps I date myself a bit?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know Thomas was associated with Canterbury. Went with Becket, England (is that even a place) just to have a guess.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote:I did not know Thomas was associated with Canterbury. Went with Becket, England (is that even a place) just to have a guess.
He was Archbishop of Canterbury, head of the Church in England.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I did not know Thomas was associated with Canterbury. Went with Becket, England (is that even a place) just to have a guess.
The religious head of the Church. The King/Queen is the titular head of the Church.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Leander wrote:
The religious head of the Church. The King/Queen is the titular head of the Church.
Not in Becket's day.
AdamAnt
Valued Contributor

Post by AdamAnt »

First time in a loooooooooooong time I haven't seen a contestant make it through to FJ! Tough luck for Deborah.

I saw the My Three Songs category pop up and started thinking 'please have time, please have time, please have time' and lucky for me they did! I managed to sweep the category even getting that last one when no one else did (I feel like there is a term for that but I'm too noob to know what it is) and for that I thank my parents for raising me on the music they were raised on.

I think it's safe to say I average about one correct FJ! response once every two weeks. Methinks I should read a book, or two, or a library.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Not in Becket's day.
Good point. Henry VIII was the one who instituted that.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Man, an easy game which made it especially tough to watch Deborah fall into such a massive hole. Glad to see Larry lose. No charm whatsoever. I guessed Salisbury for FJ but I dithered the whole time. The Cathedral there is magnificent & was important for the Church.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

J! round was rough. I've NHO any of those Pulitzer-winning novels, was 0/5 in Fights, and got only $1000 in Travel.

DJ! felt somewhat easier. 4/5 in Antonym; if only I could get from "hot dog" to "frank". Also 4/5 in the Songs, having NHO Bill Withers.

Really stupid miss on Stop and Smell for $400: seeping "Holland" and "smell", I went right to "tulip".

That DD in Roosevelts was stupid-easy.

Not a chance on FJ!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Brown Bomber = Joe Louis was worth $1000? Even Deborah knew that one!

John couldn't hear us all yelling Hunley at him? It cost him the lock only and not the game.

Wow, we got all 30 clues in the DJ round with the music category played last again. I guess I have enough youth and enough age as all five were no problem thanks to well known songs and artists.

Bamaman you have company as I also wrote Becket to have a guess. Why I did not know or could not figure out why to write Canterbury I cannot even process. I'll blame it on the heat. Too many days in a row over 70 degrees here. Where's my fog?

John's ballpark story made it easy to root for him and he had the right shirt/tie combo to tell it.