for Survivor talk

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: for Survivor talk

Post by Johnblue »

They're bringing back Redemption Island. Between that & family members, I'm done.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Me too!
And this time I mean it, not like the last eight times I said that! ;)
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

I get why people hate Redemption Island, but if it's a known quantity before people are voted out, I think it's fair. They know ahead of time that voting someone off isn't the end of them. Springing it on them after people have been voted out and doing duels for a while is lame though (which is why the "castaways" twist in Pearl Islands was so terrible).

I'll give this new twist a chance.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The problem with RI is that it does away with reward challenges. It's also boring. I'm also tired of returning players. Cockrane just tweeted something and Russell tweeted back that having a per-show alliance made his win a bit...easier. Not a Russell fan but he does have a point. At least TAR has held to its original format for the most part.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Spoiler rant about the contestants who are going to be on next season:
Spoiler
I am pissed that Rupert, Colton, and Tina are coming back, and I could also do without Tyson. If you are going to bring back returning players at least bring back good ones. Rupert gets to play four times but Hunter Ellis, Andrew Savage, Todd Herzog, and Terry Deitz will never get a second chance, really!? As long as Probst stays on as a producer this will be the continued trend for the show, I am afraid.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

StevenH wrote:Spoiler rant about the contestants who are going to be on next season:
Spoiler
I am pissed that Rupert, Colton, and Tina are coming back, and I could also do without Tyson. If you are going to bring back returning players at least bring back good ones. Rupert gets to play four times but Hunter Ellis, Andrew Savage, Todd Herzog, and Terry Deitz will never get a second chance, really!? As long as Probst stays on as a producer this will be the continued trend for the show, I am afraid.
Well, you can't fault them for the players they don't bring back. You never know who was asked and turned it down. I agree about not being a fan of the batch they did get though. Although, to be fair to them, I was really not excited about the returnees from Caramoan, and (except for Brandon) it ended up working out well enough.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

StevenH wrote:Spoiler rant about the contestants who are going to be on next season:
Spoiler
Spoiler
After suffering through the Hantzes, another season of Colton might just be enough to drive me away--if not for good, then for this season.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
After suffering through the Hantzes, another season of Colton might just be enough to drive me away--if not for good, then for this season.
The sad part is
Spoiler
it was supposed to be Rob C from Amazon and his wife, but she got pregnant and they had to drop out. Colton was the alternate.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On the 3/19 episode: No voting spoilers, but separation spoilers ahead. Stop reading if you care and have not watched yet.

There were three tribes remaining: Brains, Brawn, Beauty

Brains: 3 players
Brawn: 6 players
Beauty: 5 players
Total: 14 players

Jeff told them they were going to become two tribes by random draw of concealed buffs. 7 were purple and 7 were orange.

After the draw:
Orange: Brain x 3, Beauty x 3, Brawn x 1
Purple: Brawn x 5, Beauty x 2

What were the odds that the three Brains stayed together?
What were the odds that one Brawn would be a singleton?
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:On the 3/19 episode: No voting spoilers, but separation spoilers ahead. Stop reading if you care and have not watched yet.

There were three tribes remaining: Brains, Brawn, Beauty

Brains: 3 players
Brawn: 6 players
Beauty: 5 players
Total: 14 players

Jeff told them they were going to become two tribes by random draw of concealed buffs. 7 were purple and 7 were orange.

After the draw:
Orange: Brain x 3, Beauty x 3, Brawn x 1
Purple: Brawn x 5, Beauty x 2

What were the odds that the three Brains stayed together?
What were the odds that one Brawn would be a singleton?
The brains one is easy. (But this is ignoring order of the draw since I don't watch the show.) First one, doesn't matter which team he's on. Second one it's 6/13 because out of 13 spots, 6 are on Brain1's team. Third one it's 5/12. Basically, it's about 1 in 5.

That being said, is there enough interest for me to start an "Amazing Race" discussion thread on here? :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

The forum ate my post, so the short version that may be wrong. I think Bob's right for the first one (just below 20%). For the second one, I think after the gimme (say on Tribe A), it either has to be a 4/1 split (A/B) or an 0/5 split (A/B). My calculations put each of those odds around 1.6%, so just over 3% for the chances of a 5/1 brawn split over the two tribes*

*Something like 1 * (6/13) * (5/12) * (4/11) * (3/10) * (7/9) and 1 * (7/13) * (6/12) * (5/11) * (4/10) * (3/9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for the responses. I figured the 5/1 had to be an unusual occurence. The draw order was Brains, Brawn, then Beauty.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We've also seen a lot of suboptimal stratergizing on Survivor this season.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

harrumph wrote:We've also seen a lot of suboptimal stratergizing on Survivor this season.
But who needs rice, really?
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

lieph82 wrote:
harrumph wrote:We've also seen a lot of suboptimal stratergizing on Survivor this season.
Who needs competence? Who needs subtlety? Not the Brains.

Rooting for Spencer. Y'all?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

naurae29 wrote:
lieph82 wrote:
Who needs competence? Who needs subtlety? Not the Brains.

Rooting for Spencer. Y'all?
On a personal level, I like all 3 remaining brains, Jefra, and Woo. Rooting for Kass.

Also, last night's episode was an example of the editors leaving way too much on the cutting room floor.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

The editors are giving a ton of screen time to challenges, at the expense of tribe dynamics. The true foolishness of this season is that they are all playing the end game when it's still the beginning or middle game (chess metaphor).
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

The nuclear engineer scares the hell out of me. Makes Homer Simpson look competent.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

At this point I am happy with most people who aren't cops or models.

I'm up for an AR talk too. Go cowboys!
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

I like the cowboys, and the globetrotters and Margie and Luke, but I think there were so many teams they could have invited back for a second time that they passed over to give these guys a third chance. Art and JJ? James and Abba? Go Dave and Connor!