Tuesday, June 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't know Steve Garvey from the Mr. Clean, but when spotted first baseman and the years it's pretty bad. After that no shock they didn't know Eric Gagne even though he fairly recently had one of the best pitching seasons ever.

Never tumbled to associating Hawking with the Paralympics. Thought Oscar Pistorius fit the clue better. :o :o

Two excellent players today, if the champ had a shred of common sense he'd still be champ. Sad for somebody who has debts to throw away five figures cash.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

J, Please wear short sleeves today.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Notable Names
In August 2012 the Telegraph of London ran the headline "Paralympics 2012:" he "opens ceremy with a 'big bang'".

Spoiler
Who is Stephen Hawking? J said Elton John (crossed out Pistorius); David said David Cameron.

David Moore: $21,600-$18,401=$3,199
J Tarter-Fox: $20,000-$19,999=$1
Rachel Gordon: $6,200+$1,200=$7,400...now a 1-day champion with $7,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Had it between the correct response and the South African "BladeRunner."

Went with the former because I knew the spelling.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Golf wrote:Wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't know Steve Garvey from the Mr. Clean, but when spotted first baseman and the years it's pretty bad. After that no shock they didn't know Eric Gagne even though he fairly recently had one of the best pitching seasons ever.

Never tumbled to associating Hawking with the Paralympics. Thought Oscar Pistorius fit the clue better. :o :o

"Big Bang" was the kicker for Hawking. That, and he's mute.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I couldn't think of the name of the guy who killed his girlfriend, so went with Prince William. Head slap when I saw Hawking.

I was just glad they got through the Dodgers category, though I couldn't pull out Gagne's name.

Bad bet by J. I'd have bet big on the DD, big enough to where I'd have half of the other guy's maximum possible score if he ran the board. And I knew the Wall Street Journal.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

As Alex said, they packed in a lot of clues. I did Pistorius= Paralympics for a second, but then went I added London and big bang it was pretty easy. I was surprised that the guys, who seemed sharp, got lost.

I used to watch Gagne in the minors. He was an ace back in AA and it was great to see him become so successful.

(Also, I've heard Hawking talk, er give a presentation, but that's enough bragging for one post :D )
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:As Alex said, they packed in a lot of clues. I did Pistorius= Paralympics for a second, but then went I added London and big bang it was pretty easy.
That was my route, too.

Is Denver's area code all that well-known? There are a lot of "Posts" out there and I couldn't eliminate the ones whose area code I knew quickly enough.

And, the bet by J .... sheesh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My brain went out to lunch on Five W's. I had never heard of that thing regarding Mary Todd Lincoln, clammed on cummerbund and 1970s out of uncertainty, and blanked on Toronto. And that "cats always land on their feet" category was all kinds of awkward.

4/5 in Aquatic Life, missing only the eye clue. I can never keep the parts of the eye straight.

Whisk was my only miss in DJ!'s 5 W's. Couldn't think of anything other than "whip", which was already in the clue.

I had no guess on FJ! I was wondering if there was some handicapped athlete I was missing out on. "Big Bang" went right over my head.

WTF? at those wagers.
econgator wrote:Is Denver's area code all that well-known? There are a lot of "Posts" out there and I couldn't eliminate the ones whose area code I knew quickly enough.
Seconded. Anyone?
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

What a well-played game, until the end of DJ. For those who criticized a player last week for taking his time on an "easy" DD, this was a nice reminder that on DD's, you get paid only for accuracy, not for speed. Not that it would have mattered, since J blundered once again on the FJ wager. Imagine how many champs could have had much longer runs if their opponents had bet like J did and so many others have...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well that was unexpected!

Such a great game, too - that finish felt like a curveball.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I don't know why the 2nd place suicide wager still annoys me after seeing it so many times, but ffs that was awful. But hey, more 1-day champs. Yay?

Paralympics made me think of Pistorius for a second, but 'big bang' in quotation marks made the right answer obvious to me. Plus they probably don't want him as a FJ clue while he's facing a murder charge, and I noticed that Alex avoided mentioning the name even though it was obvious what he had crossed out (unless this was taped before the killing).
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

What was especially terrible about the wager is that "J" can't claim that this category is a strong suit. "Notable Names" is as vague as it gets. His endgame was bizarre.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

Austin Powers wrote:What was especially terrible about the wager is that "J" can't claim that this category is a strong suit. "Notable Names" is as vague as it gets. His endgame was bizarre.
One might even argue that "names" of any sort could pose a problem for a guy who goes by J.
Last edited by lieph82 on Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 am, edited 97 times in total.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

econgator wrote: Is Denver's area code all that well-known? There are a lot of "Posts" out there and I couldn't eliminate the ones whose area code I knew quickly enough.
I only narrowed it down to "not Washington or New York."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

xxaaaxx wrote:I don't know why the 2nd place suicide wager still annoys me after seeing it so many times, but ffs that was awful. But hey, more 1-day champs. Yay?

Paralympics made me think of Pistorius for a second, but 'big bang' in quotation marks made the right answer obvious to me. Plus they probably don't want him as a FJ clue while he's facing a murder charge, and I noticed that Alex avoided mentioning the name even though it was obvious what he had crossed out (unless this was taped before the killing).
In addition to not remembering his name, I also rejected him because of the murder charge he's facing. Also, he's not a British subject, though he may be due to being from a Commonwealth country. I was pretty sure the future William V was wrong, but he was certainly a possibility to open the Games and its better than nothing.

While its unfortunate J missed his DD, it didn't matter, he'd sill have trailed going into FJ.

I missed the Denver Post as well. I guess we need to study Denver media outlets if we get the call.
koozbane
Valued Contributor

Post by koozbane »

Though lessened, J's sleeve shuffling was still annoying. Forget about those college loans; invest in some short-sleeved shirts.

I'm continually amazed at how otherwise intelligent people regularly throw games away by lack of betting know-how. J is no exception.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thought I had an instaget with Pistorius, but I guess that wasn't the case. Even after going back and re-reading the clue, I think "Big Bang" fit Pistorius better because of his recent, uh, issues.

Perhaps with his winnings he can buy some shirts with proper length sleeves. I have absolutely no idea why that was bugging me as much as it was.