Tuesday, July 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Golf »

Big chuckle at Sandra wagering $500 on a DD in a category she kept going back to. There is a reason why there are very few good women poker players.

Conversely, an excellent DD wager from Dan in a geography category as a geography bee champ.

Never thought thong bikini would be an answer on Jeopardy, not that I'm complaining but next time perhaps it should be a video clue!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Ancient World
The area that the people of ancient Rome called this was their city's equivalent of the Greek Agora.

Spoiler
What is the Forum?

Ben Ingram: $18,300+$3,101=$21,401...now a 2-day champion with $42,030
Dan Weber: $10,700+$10,700=$21,400
Sandra Ferkol: $10,500+$6,000=$16,500
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Two things told me Sandra was not going to win.

1. A small wager in a category that was both fairly simple and one she seemed to like.

2. The preview commercial I saw showing a three wide shot with someone other than her at podium #3. It actually had two three wide shots, so I know the lineup from two more games this week.

Sandra's slow play kept us from seeing all of the baseball clues. :x

OK, Howard Wolowitz, the president of Iran has a phd in engineering, you need to get one.

Forum wasn't coming to me, the Colosseum was as far as I could go.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Sandra's slow play kept us from seeing all of the baseball clues. :x
*nod* Also, Ben calling half the clues with a "but" before the dollar amount. I'm constantly amazed that these very intelligent people can't follow the simplest of directions (at least, I assume that you are told to shorten the category name after the first call).

Ian Fleming wrote Herbie the Love Bug? Ok ...

No real guess on FJ. Had no idea what the Agora was, so I went with Circus Maximus.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, the Forrest bounce doesn't work if you throw in the but before each time you use it.

Oh, and the bottom row Gettysburg clue was a math problem?

I didn't know what the Agora was, but I knew agoraphobia is the fear of open places, so I figured it was some kind of open space. Alas, that is as far as it got.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Cruciverbalists know Agora as an Ancient Greek Marketplace. That 75th anniversary Gettysburg reunion footage is the epitome of an historic moment. People being slow to pick categories helped leave three clues in round one and one clue in the second round.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cain was my only miss in Bible, since I couldn't remember which of the brothers killed which.

Oddly, $1000 was my only get in 3 E's.

Any reason I should have to know Foxborough?

Can't believe I couldn't pull up Bart Simpson's name.

I had agora -> open -> some central place that's open like a market, then hit a dead end. First time in a long time that I've had "can't connect the last dot" syndrome, which used to happen to me all the time.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board, but I wasn't a fan of the "no hitter" clue. I don't remember there being anything in the clue that would lead you to a no hitter over a perfect game, unless you are a big baseball fan and know that Al Leiter never tossed a perfecto.

I was so disappointed that a classical music clue was left uncovered.

FJ was an instant get. All those Latin classes had to pay off somehow!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Any reason I should have to know Foxborough?
Yes, you should. I am not a football fan (and actually pretty much dislike the sport), but it is pretty famous as the home of the New England Patriots.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StevenH wrote:... I wasn't a fan of the "no hitter" clue. I don't remember there being anything in the clue that would lead you to a no hitter over a perfect game, unless you are a big baseball fan and know that Al Leiter never tossed a perfecto.
Since a perfect game is also a no-hitter, I would hope that saying the latter when they are looking for the former would be BMSed. I think I would say no-hitter unless it was obvious they were going for 'perfect game' (such as a "game" category or something).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Bamaman wrote:Yes, the Forrest bounce doesn't work if you throw in the but before each time you use it.
I actually like that he does that. I think it helps Mr. Trebek and it helps the viewers at home. It's not like it wastes any time.
I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one to blank on a triple-get Final. I said "piazza" but didn't think it was right.
And "exactly" to what bpmod said about no-hitter vs. perfect game. If you have to take a guess, say "no-hitter" because at least you'll be BMSd if it's "perfect game."
Last edited by thejeopardyfan on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Sandra's slow play kept us from seeing all of the baseball clues. :x
*nod* Also, Ben calling half the clues with a "but" before the dollar amount. I'm constantly amazed that these very intelligent people can't follow the simplest of directions (at least, I assume that you are told to shorten the category name after the first call).
Bamaman wrote:Yes, the Forrest bounce doesn't work if you throw in the but before each time you use it.
Even worse that that, it was "but let's go for" each and EVERY FREAKING TIME!!!!!

I spent so much time yelling at him to shorten it up that I think I missed a few clues (in addition to the ones not called).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Cain was my only miss in Bible, since I couldn't remember which of the brothers killed which
A joke always helps me remember:

How much time did Cain spend killing his brother?

As long as he was Abel.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

And clues about Fenway Park AND Gillette Stadium on the same show? Yuck.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Cain was my only miss in Bible, since I couldn't remember which of the brothers killed which.
Just think of the expression "mark of Cain". It's a mark placed on the guilty party, not the innocent one.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Woppy T wrote:And clues about Fenway Park AND Gillette Stadium on the same show? Yuck.
More like awesome.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

A funny thing happened on the way to solving this FJ... I got really lucky with a SWAG.
I know what an agora is, but really never considered it the Greek equivalent to a Roman forum. But forum is all I really had that I couldn't picture exactly, so tried it.

re: no-hitter.
A no-hitter means you gave up no hits. You could lose the game and still throw one (a few people have, in fact, though all but two are unofficial NHs, and one of the official NHs was a combination one).
A perfect game means nobody reaches base at all- 27 up and 27 down. (Unless you're Armando Galarraga, then you have to "retire" 28 in a row for a perfect game one hitter.)
A couple hundred of no-hitters have been thrown, less than 2 dozen of which have been PGs.
I think if they BMSd you on "no-hitter" they're giving you slack you don't deserve. That being said, depending on the phrasing, I don't ignore the possibility of it happening.
"On April 24, 1963, pitcher Ken Johnson of the Astros managed this unusual feat." Yes, player 1.
=> What is a no-hitter?
BMS
=> What is a perfect game?
No. Player 2?
==> What is pitch a no-hitter and lose?
correct.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

Feeling good - I did well tonight compared to last night! *whew*