Friday, July 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6650, 2013-07-12

CONTESTANTS
Ken Dasher, an archivist from Raleigh, North Carolina
Toby Crew, a commercial pilot from Natick, Massachusetts
Mark Japinga, a legislative researcher from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $31,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen.
Well, now, yesterday on our program, we said goodbye to Ben, who walked away with $177,000. He'll be back to play in our Tournament of Champions. But we replaced him with another bright young man --Mark, with $31,000 and change.
So good luck today against Toby and Ken. And welcome and good luck to you two, also.
Here we go now into the Jeopardy! round, which is the easier of the rounds, and here are the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT AN ICE PARTY (4/5)
TIME'S 50 WORST CARS OF ALL TIME (5/5)
COUNTRIES' LOWEST POINTS (4/5)
COMPOUND WORDS (5/5)
ANIMAL CARE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HERE'S JOHNNY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Toby: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Mark: 9 R, 0 W
Ken: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Mark: $4,600
Ken: $1,800
Toby: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ken Dasher works for the North Carolina State Archives and he has been doing some work relating to the 150th anniversary of the civil war. What kind of work?

Ken: That's right. When I first started with the archives, I was digitizing Civil War letters to put up on our website for the anniversary. And in one of them, a little hand --a little paper cutout of a hand fell out. The wife had written her husband, who was a private in the Confederate Army to tell him about the birth of their new daughter, which he was not there for. And she had traced the baby's hand on the paper and had included it in the letter, and he carried it with him for the rest of the war.

Alex: That's amazing. I think most people do not realize that soldiers in the American Civil War wrote a lot of letters back home, more than in any other war, I think.

Ken: And the spelling is very interesting.

Alex: [ chuckles ] Okay.

Alex: Toby Crew is from Massachusetts. He is a commercial pilot who had an embarrassing moment that doesn't have anything to do with flying. It has to do with teaching sailing at a summer camp. And you were instructing...

Toby: The camp director's son.

Alex: Yep. And what happened?

Toby: About seven years old. And we're out sailing, having a great time, and the boat sank.

Alex: That is a little embarrassing. You managed to keep the job, though, right?

Toby: Absolutely --we learned that when you pull fiberglass boats up onto a beach, It kind of acts like sandpaper, and...

Alex: Eventually it wears out the bottom of the boat.

Toby: Absolutely.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Mark Japinga from Washington, D.C., Is a researcher who has already decided If he wins a lot of money on Jeopardy! what he's going to do with that money. Tell the folks.

Mark: I want to put it in a bank account, and I don't want to touch it unless I can buy Chicago Cubs World Series tickets. I might be dead.

[ laughter ]

Alex: I was just gonna say, "you're gonna have a pile of money 'cause it's going to accrue and accrue and accrue."

Mark: I know.

Alex: Although, we never know. This year might be the year at last.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Toby found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Mark had $4,600, Toby had $2,800, and Ken was at $3,800. Toby made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

ANIMAL CARE $600: Vets discourage this procedure unless absolutely necessary: it severs tendons & can make kitty a biter
(Alex: Don't want to do that to your cat. Let your cats tear up your furniture instead.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT AN ICE PARTY $600: In the drinking aid called an "ice" one of these, from the French for "sled", liquor flows through a chilly channel

COUNTRIES' LOWEST POINTS $1000: Lake Eyre
(Toby: What is Scotland?)

ANIMAL CARE $1000: Test a prospective pup's temperament with a rollover test--this type of pet, from Latin for "send under", will happily comply

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Toby: $7,000
Mark: $5,000
Ken: $4,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 12, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BEACH READING (5/5)
OH, CANADA (5/5)
FEEL NOT-SO-GOOD MOVIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
GUINNESS RECORDS (4/5)
BILLIONS OF PEOPLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We're dealing with world population figures from the United Nations.)
SO "CAL" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mark: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Toby: 11 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ken: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Mark had $6,200, Toby had $7,800, and Ken was at $5,000. Mark wagered $3,000.

FEEL NOT-SO-GOOD MOVIES $1600: Title guy loses best friend in Vietnam; his mom dies, too; finally gets his dream girl but guess what? She dies!

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Toby who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 8th clue. Mark had $12,400, Toby had $9,400, and Ken was at $5,000. Toby wagered $7,000.

BILLIONS OF PEOPLE $2000: 5 billion Earthlings were on the globe in this 1980s year when the stock market crashed on "Black Monday"
(Alex: You got the right year.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SO "CAL" $2000: Libel or slander

GUINNESS RECORDS $1600: The fastest mile with someone over your shoulder, this act named for a profession, is 15 minutes, 11.87 seconds
(Mark: What is piggyback riding?)
(Alex: It's called [*]--carrying a man on your back, rescuing him.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Toby: $26,400
Mark: $20,800
Ken: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VIDEO GAME HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Toby: Wager $15,201 to cover Mark. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $2,001.
Mark: You'll want to wager between $5,601 (venusian) and $7,599 (martian), and you'll win the game if Toby wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Ken: You can't really win on a Triple Stumper, so your best hope is if you're the only one to get Final right. Wager everything but a few dollars.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title princess of this game, which launched a best-selling franchise, was named for F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife

FINAL SCORES
Ken: $6,600 - $6,000 = $600 (What is Zelda) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mark: $20,800 + $7,500 = $28,300 (What is The Legend of Zelda) (2-day champion: $59,499)
Toby: $26,400 - $15,400 = $11,000 (What is Zelda?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: It helps a lot if you knew the name of F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.
[revealing Ken's response]
No, that's not the name of the game or the franchise.
[revealing Mark's response]
[revealing Toby's response]
No, he came up with the name only.)
That's the series, yes.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mark: $19,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Toby: $19,200, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Ken: $6,600, 10 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $45,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Mark: 23/59 = .390
Toby: 23/60 = .383
Ken: 10/58 = .172
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT AN ICE PARTY $800: Seen here is the ice palace of Bonhomme Carnaval in this Canadian
provincial capital.

WHAT AN ICE PARTY $1000: A 15-foot wide, 1-ton creation was unveiled and symbolically melted at these 2012 events in Charlotte and Tampa.

TIME'S 50 WORST CARS OF ALL TIME $600: This Soviet-bloc brand "had a rear-window defroster-- reportedly to keep your hands warm (as) you pushed it"
(Toby: Or don't go.)

WHAT AN ICE PARTY $400: We hope his trademark candelabrum didn't melt his ice piano.

WHAT AN ICE PARTY $200: This Minnesota capital's
winter carnival started building ice palaces
back in the 1880s.

ANIMAL CARE $400: (Kelly gives the clue from the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa)

Rhino horns are sometimes
humanely removed by activists to deter poachers who wish to create these potions named for a Greek
love goddess.

FEEL NOT-SO-GOOD MOVIES $400: A boxer who was never quite a contender battles a union boss; his brother is killed, & he gets beaten up
(Alex: That's the movie.)

FEEL NOT-SO-GOOD MOVIES $2000: Sure, Joe Buck gives up being a male prostitute, but Ratso isn't just sleeping when the bus pulls into Miami
(Alex: That's the film.)

BILLIONS OF PEOPLE $1200: World population hit 3 billion in this year that Rome hosted the Summer Olympics
(Alex: That's the year.)

OH, CANADA $400: The Parliament Buildings in this city include the restored office of Canada's first P.M., Sir John A. MacDonald
(Alex: [*] is the capital.)

BILLIONS OF PEOPLE $800: There were now 2 billion of us in this roaring year that Lindy flew into history
(Alex: That's the year.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
de-clawing
a luge
Australia
submissive
Forest Gump
a callomny
a fireman's carry
The Legend Of Zelda
Quebec City
the DNC and the RNC
the Yugo
Liberace
St. Paul
aphrodisiacs
On The Waterfront
Midnight Cowboy
Ottawa
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Video Game History
The title princess of this game, which launched a best-selling franchise, was named for F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.

Spoiler
What is The Legend of Zelda? Ken and Toby both said "What is Zelda?", naming the princess instead of the game, so they were ruled incorrect.

Toby Crew: $26,400-$15,400=$11,000
Mark Japinga: $20,800+$7,500=$28,300...now a 2-day champion with $59,499
Ken Dasher: $6,600-$6,000=$600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

As a video game fanatic,

I can say that likely was the easiest FJ . . . ever?
whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 »

That Final was about as up my alley as it could possibly get - classic video games are one of my particular specialties. I was kind of disappointed though in the lack of difficulty... they could have made it at least a little more challenging with such a narrow category.

As the answers began to be revealed, I was afraid that at least one of them would go for the name of the lady and not the series, and that fear came doubly true. Wise move by Mark to wager against a mass miss, and more power to him for being the only one to get it fully correect.

Unforgivable performance in DJ by me - two complete categories full of whiff (Oh, Canada and Billions of People), though I managed 4/5 in Feel Not-So-Good Movies despite only having actually seen one of them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I made the same mistake the players did and just wrote down her name. I was watching the show with my wife and after writing down the name, we discussed her name and I never fully reread the clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

whammy007 wrote:That Final was about as up my alley as it could possibly get - classic video games are one of my particular specialties. I was kind of disappointed though in the lack of difficulty... they could have made it at least a little more challenging with such a narrow category.

As the answers began to be revealed, I was afraid that at least one of them would go for the name of the lady and not the series, and that fear came doubly true. Wise move by Mark to wager against a mass miss, and more power to him for being the only one to get it fully correect.
Especially since I've seen (at least in my house) the game being referred to as just "Zelda" for short. (At least I rid myself of the notion in time that Fitzgerald was not married to a lady called Peach ... )

This a was actually a good game for my 8 year old son (who was playing Mario on the TV next to me during the game). Not only for Final (which he got in the 30 seconds), but he's also really into cars and called out a couple of answers in the Canada category when I thought he was paying attention to the game (like the $1200 one whose response was "What are territories?")

I noticed that "orangutan" was pronounced with a "g" sound at the end; that seems common, is that correct or are they just letting that slide nowadays?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not accepting "Zelda" ... 100% wrong. I'd file a protest if I were those two.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$400 was my only get in Ice. I can never remember which of the Twin Cities is Minnesota's capital, I went for the Montreal negbait, and the rest went over my head. I saw no way at all to figure out that bottom clue with the DNC/RNC.

Ran Cars, where I had three precalls (Pinto, Gremlin, Yugo).

3/5 in an animal category is worse than I usually do. No clue on orangutan (never was a fan of primates or apes, although lemurs are pretty cool), clammed on submissive.

$1200 was my only get in Canada. So when Montreal actually does come up, I forget about it entirely. Was only very super-ultra-vaguely aware that the St. Lawrence Seaway had locks and stuff.

$800 was my only get in Beach. I was ready to say just "D-Day" on $400, but couldn't spit it out, so I tried going for the date… and almost said "December 7, 1941" before clamming.

Oddly, the DD was my only get in both Billions and Feel Not-So-Good.

Title princess of a famous game -> Legend of Zelda.
econgator wrote:Not accepting "Zelda" ... 100% wrong. I'd file a protest if I were those two.
"Zelda" isn't the title of the game though.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

corvo wrote:As a video game fanatic,

I can say that likely was the easiest FJ . . . ever?
Heh, same here. LoZ is robably my favorite franchise, so this was super-instaget. I knew at least one of them would write just 'Zelda' instead of the full name, this subject probably isn't at the top of many study lists, and they didn't strike me as gamers.
gsn93
Contributor

Post by gsn93 »

Great game overall. That was a pretty easy Final if you ask me.
whammy007
Not Ready for Syndication Player

Post by whammy007 »

econgator wrote:Not accepting "Zelda" ... 100% wrong. I'd file a protest if I were those two.
On what grounds? The clue reads as follows...
Spoiler
The title princess of this game, which launched a best-selling franchise, was named for F. Scott Fitzgerald's wife.
...and clearly specifies the GAME, not the princess. A quick double-check verifies that only one game in the entire series was released solely as "Zelda" without "The Legend Of" in the title, that being Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (which was released under the full title in Japan, the shortening was an American thing). Yes, they had the spirit of the correct answer, but that's not enough when the letter is specifically called for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Zelda" isn't the title of the game though.
My bad. I thought it was the series (which you'd have to accept "Zelda").
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well that finish was something of a farce... I suspect the other two guys knew the title.. oh well. What angers me is that this ruins a little poject of mine that I had going... let's just say I occasionally write jeopardy style questions for others. Maybe I wrote a Before and After along these lines for an upcoming match. So now I have to trash it and write a new one.

PS that question was $200 level, suggesting how tough I thought this FJ was.

Good game BTW.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

If Jeopardy! accepts "Alice in Wonderland" for "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", and "Whistler's Mother" for "Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1", then I think there's a very strong case for accepting "Zelda" for "The Legend of Zelda". As someone who was a 13-year-old boy in 1987, I can guarantee that "Zelda" is how people popularly and unambiguously referred to the game.

And if the clue writers thought "Zelda" shouldn't count for "The Legend of Zelda", then I think they should have written the clue slightly differently, maybe asking for the princess rather than the game. They could have made it a little harder by not saying F. Scott Fitzgerald's name, instead writing something like "a Jazz Age author" or "a Princeton-educated author" or "a Minnesota-born author".

At home, this is exactly what I wrote down:

What is (The Legend of) ZELDA

By the way, when the FJ category was revealed, this was my thought process: "I've got this! Uh, provided it's a video game from the 80s, that is. If it's a video game from this millennium, then no, I don't 'got this'."

As for the rest of the game, for me it was similar to Thursday's game. I did OK in the J round but was a little slow to get going, and then I did very well in the DJ round, missing only five clues. I couldn't quite come up with "free fall" in time (the term "sky dive" entered my head, but it's not alliterative), and embarrassingly, for someone who spent the first 36 years of his life in Canada, I missed two of the Canada questions. I feel bad about missing the St. Lawrence Seaway, but I had forgotten that the term refers to a larger system than just the St. Lawrence River. (I've now forgotten the other Canada clue I missed, but I think it was something I felt less guilty about. I got Ottawa, Montreal, and Territories.)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Not only did I precall the content of the clue, I knew there would be problems with a player not giving the full title. I'm surprised they gave it away with Fitzgerald's name, though. "The wife of an American novelist" would have been enough for me.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

In trash tournaments, I'm usually terrible at video games, but this was Jeopardy! so I was feeling pretty confident. My pre-call was Mario, which was named for the landlord of the U.S. Nintendo warehouse. In retrospect, a clue based on just that may have been too obscure for Jeopardy! Too many bad guesses in the beaches to have a great DJ round.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a great game and an excellent board. But once again, it was a board that attacked my weaknesses.

I was excited by the FJ category but I knew that it was going to be an easy clue. "Video Games" is just too specialized of a category to have a FJ clue that is much harder than this one. Asking for the exact name of the game made it a fine clue.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

A fun game overall, did great on Canada (living in a state that borders helps out) and did well on the billions question, which asked for history and dates, a strength of mine.

FJ... read the clue too fast and answered "Zelda," just like two of the other contestants.

And did anybody notice how tall the second champ is? Must be "Land of the Giants" week on "Jeopardy!"... :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

Even though I knew the full name, I thought they were going to accept just the princess's name for short (which is what I said), so this will be a miss in the polls (though an option should go up about saying just "Zelda").

50 Worst Cars seemed inverted. I got $800 and $1,000, but not the lower-valued clues.