Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

Post by MarkBarrett »

hanzz wrote:Has there been a situation yet where two contestants in a tournament final with the same first name end up facing each other? I can't imagine it happening under any other circumstance as TPTB would likely do all they can to prevent same-name matchups in regular or QF/SF play, and it would probably have to be a ToC final since that's the only tournament they can't control (to some extent) who gets selected.
That's a "daunt"ing challenge to find players with dupee-licate names in the finals. Psst: 1996
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is hanzz the only tournament finalist not to play Final Jeopardy?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

hanzz wrote:Has there been a situation yet where two contestants in a tournament final with the same first name end up facing each other? I can't imagine it happening under any other circumstance as TPTB would likely do all they can to prevent same-name matchups in regular or QF/SF play, and it would probably have to be a ToC final since that's the only tournament they can't control (to some extent) who gets selected.
Rachel Horn vs. Rachel "Steve" Cooke in the 2008 Teen Tournament.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Courtney Bennis finished in the red after DJ in game 1 of the finals in the 2004 Teen Tournament.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Is hanzz the only tournament finalist not to play Final Jeopardy?
Irene was minus 200 after the DJ round of the 1987 Seniors Final #1.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Rachel Horn vs. Rachel "Steve" Cooke in the 2008 Teen Tournament.
The first ToC was the only one with the QFs done in the order of the players' initial appearances; John Hnat, Paul Croshier, and Paul Boymel were (not necessarily in that order) the seventh through ninth 5x champions, and thus appeared in the third QF. Boymel was "Paul" and Croshier went as "SSgt Paul."
Bamaman wrote:Is hanzz the only tournament finalist not to play Final Jeopardy?
No. Someone in a 200_ College Championship finished the first final in the red. Also the first Seniors Tournament had the same situation with the one female finalist. No tournament has seen someone finishing in the red in the second final.

Edit: serves me right trying to answer two questions in one post. At least I wasn't beaten to the Pauls.
Edit again: And I was mistaken about which tournament the finalist before Hans was in.
Edit a year and a half later: Now that we know the spelling of John Hnat's last name... edit once more: oh yeah, and Paul Croshier! edit again: I need to be more thorough.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat May 31, 2014 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

StevenH wrote:Courtney Bennis finished in the red after DJ in game 1 of the finals in the 2004 Teen Tournament.
And we were justly rewarded by both being on Millionaire this season. The fates speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How about this one? I seem to remember one contestant who got something like $599 in her first game, then the $1,000 third-place consolation in her next, but I can't find it in the Archive. Would this be the lowest score for any contestant who played two or more games? (I also love how this means she actually got less than the second-placer she beat!)

Also, has there ever been a case where a contestant was in the red, hit a DD, yet was still in the red after getting it right? Also, has that ever been done with the "maximum value of a clue" bet? (E.G. Contestant has -$1400, hits DD in J!, wagers max of $1000, gets it right.)

And, while not player-related…

* Most TSes in one game or round. I nominate the notorious 2/23/05 game, with 8 in J! and SIXTEEN in DJ! (The contestants also went 0/3 on Daily Doubles, and let's not forget the single-player FJ!)

* Fewest clues revealed: Gotta be 14, from this game. (Seriously. Did we need that freaking Jersey Boys performance before the DD?! What the hell was up with the celeb games that season, anyway? All of them had time-wasting distractions such as that.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No record holders yet, but I guess the potential is there for some kind of distinction? I looked at the line up for this week's contestants and the teen champ from July 2007 has her father on this week.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I think the Suchards win on that distinction.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

seaborgium wrote:What is the largest deficit in the first game of a two-day final that a person recovered from in the second day to win the tournament? The two Teen Tournaments in 2007 seem like good candidates for #1 and #2: in the February one, David Walter went into Final 2 with $14,200 to Ben Schenkel's $40,000, and won (thanks in no small part to David's self-destruction on Daily Doubles); in the July one, Meryl Federman lost all her money in the first FJ, but came back to win against her opponents, one of whom had already banked $25,000. But if you double pre-doubled amounts, it looks like Frank Spangenberg's comeback from $600 against Tom Nosek's $13,600 (aided by Tom's blindly wagering everything from second*) wins. The biggest ToC comeback seems to be Michael Falk ($17,400) against Vik Vaz ($30,800).

*Tom Nosek was in two two-game finals, and bet everything on FJ in all four games. That has to be some kind of record.

Speaking of finals, I think the record for most tournaments' final rounds made by one player is three, with a tie between the M$M finalists: Eric Newhouse made the finals of his Teen Tournament, the Teen Reunion Tournament, and the M$M; Bob Verini made the finals of his ToC, Super Jeopardy, and the M$M; and Brad made the finals of his ToC, M$M, and the UToC. Two-final players (I think I got them all) are Tom Cubbage (CC/ToC), Dave Traini (ToC/SJ), Lou Pryor (ST/ToC), Marilyn Kneeland (ST/ToC), Tom Nosek (ToC/10AT), Jeff Stewart (CC/ToC), David Javerbaum (TT/TRT), Michael Daunt (ToC/IT), Robin Carroll (ToC/IT), Jerome Vered (ToC/UToC) and Cliff Galiher (CC/ToC).
Seaborgium.. hi - I think the Teen tournament this year breaks the Michael Falk record
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

High-earning 3x champ Matt Handel made his first appearance after Steve Chernicoff was retired. Steve had won $24,700 in his fifth game; Matt won $23,400 in his first. I'm thinking that together, those two scores make the highest total won in back-to-back games by two different champions. I have to imagine the post-doubling record holders are Myron Meyer and Jake Maeroff, who won $50,000 and $41,201 respectively. Steve's and Matt's totals, when doubled, add up to a higher amount than Myron's and Jake's, but I'll give Myron and Jake the record for highest combined back-to-back scores by two champions that actually played against each other (unless/until someone finds a higher scoring pair).

By the way, the highest earnings by one champion in two consecutive games is $127,000, by Ken Jennings ($52,000 + $75,000).
OldMole51
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by OldMole51 »

I have no idea whether anyone keeps track of this sort of thing, but I think I might be the first player to have ever officially lost one day and then be called back to play another day (since if I recall correctly my return appearances were right around game #100).

In my first appearance, I trailed my opponent by $500 in the final round, picked "Art" for $600, and it came up "Audio Daily Double" (WTF an Art audio answer might have been still puzzles me to this day) but then came "BeepBeep, BeepBeep, the round is over".

Since they are obligated to let you answer a Daily Double if one appears, and it could have materially affected the outcome of the game (we both bet the farm in FJ, and got the seven dwarfs question right) they did call me back, and I won five days and made it to the ToC, where I utterly failed to distinguish myself.

Still, does anyone keep a list of those players in a similar situation?

Best Wishes,
Paul Croshier
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OldMole51 wrote:I have no idea whether anyone keeps track of this sort of thing, but I think I might be the first player to have ever officially lost one day and then be called back to play another day (since if I recall correctly my return appearances were right around game #100).

In my first appearance, I trailed my opponent by $500 in the final round, picked "Art" for $600, and it came up "Audio Daily Double" (WTF an Art audio answer might have been still puzzles me to this day) but then came "BeepBeep, BeepBeep, the round is over".

Since they are obligated to let you answer a Daily Double if one appears, and it could have materially affected the outcome of the game (we both bet the farm in FJ, and got the seven dwarfs question right) they did call me back, and I won five days and made it to the ToC, where I utterly failed to distinguish myself.

Best Wishes,
Paul Croshier
An Audio DD in Art? Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole? "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean?

There are some real sharp music people around here who will be able to add more.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

MarkBarrett wrote:An Audio DD in Art? Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole? "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean?

There are some real sharp music people around here who will be able to add more.
Actually, it's "Vincent" by Don McLean.

And maybe the clue was: "He sang lead vocal on this song [plays 'Bridge Over Troubled Water']".

Rex
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:
OldMole51 wrote:In my first appearance, I trailed my opponent by $500 in the final round, picked "Art" for $600, and it came up "Audio Daily Double" (WTF an Art audio answer might have been still puzzles me to this day) but then came "BeepBeep, BeepBeep, the round is over".
An Audio DD in Art? Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole? "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean?
Something from The Velvet Underground and Nico asking which artist's banana is on the cover? Or just play an excerpt from David Bowie's "Andy Warhol"? "Picasso Moon" by The Grateful Dead or "Pablo Picasso" by The Modern Lovers. "Da Da Dali" by Todd Rundgren. "Expatriate" by Loudon Wainwright (about Paul Gauguin). "Jokerman" by Bob Dylan mentions Michelangelo. "Goodbye Toulouse" by The Stranglers. None of these seem too likely.

The Don McLean song is called "Vincent." Both that and "Mona Lisa" are better than any of my thoughts. But it doesn't have to be music. It could've been something as boring as an audio recording of Picasso.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:An Audio DD in Art? Mona Lisa by Nat King Cole? "Starry Starry Night" by Don McLean?

Actually, it's "Vincent" by Don McLean.

And maybe the clue was: "He sang lead vocal on this song [plays 'Bridge Over Troubled Water']".
Ha! :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OldMole51 wrote:I have no idea whether anyone keeps track of this sort of thing, but I think I might be the first player to have ever officially lost one day and then be called back to play another day (since if I recall correctly my return appearances were right around game #100).

Best Wishes,
Paul Croshier
Richard Landon was brought back after losing in episode #57 when they didn't accept a response they should have (even though I don't think anyone can convincingly argue it had a material effect on the outcome of the game). He was a four-time champ, and when he was brought back, he bet everything from a close second on a triple stumper FJ.

Other ToCers who were brought back after losing a game were India Cooper (brought back after losing in a game that had "one of those... technical glitches," won five), Tom Nichols (an erroneous ruling against him cost him his fifth game; he won when they brought him back), Claudia Perry (lost in her first game, was brought back because of issues with the buzzer system, won four games), the late Bob Mesko (lost his fourth game in large part because of a faulty Daily Double clue, won two games in his return), and Tom Morris (technically lost his third game, but due to some errors in procedure with a challenger who had trouble writing his FJ response, ended up being brought back as a co-champ the following game, with his second place finish added to his winnings, and won his fourth game outright). This list may not be comprehensive, but I'm glad you've stopped by to at least get it closer to that mark (and finally settle the score on your last name's spelling)!
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Just for completeness sake, there's also the 1988 Teen Tournament where David "DJ" Javerbaum and David Graham both lost to Michael Block.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lowest win by a two day champ? I swear I saw someone win their first game with a three-digit total, then get the third-place $1,000 in their second episode.