Friday, July 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
KurtWeber
Contributor

Re: Friday, July 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KurtWeber »

Struggled in the J! round, but picked up steam and wound up with a $33,400 Coryat--a nice bounce back after my $28,000 yesterday, the lowest in the four weeks I've been keeping track.

FJ was an instaget--I think I would have gotten it anyway, but it helped that I had watched Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears the night before.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Classical Musicians
The cover of the May 19, 1958 Time Magazine called him "The Texan who conquered Russia".

Spoiler
Who is Van Cliburn? Leigh had no guess.

Leigh Hoopes: $19,200-$800=$18,400
Jared Hall: $18,400+$10,000=$28,400...now a 2-day champion with $59,600
Bruce Richards: $4,800+$4,799=$9,599
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I always get Van Cliburn mixed up with Van Morrison (the singer of "Moondance", at least I always keep straight who does "Brown Eyed Girl") and his name never registers as a classical guy. [TPH]Wouldnt have got that in a million years.[/TPH]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I had never really heard of Van Cliburn until I moved out here, where the annual competition is held. Didn't know his backstory though. I'm glad to see Jared continue, but I also really liked Leigh and saw her as a multi-game winner if she has gotten FJ!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I couldn't write very long by hand. I fully believe that "writing is editing", and I like being able to cut and paste.

====

Renters seemed upside down. The top three clues were completely cryptic to me, but "amenities" and "eat-in kitchen" were far easier, to the point that I was thinking "nah, that can't be it" on both.

Middle 3 in Airport made sense after the fact, but couldn't get to them in time. The name at $200 didn't sound remotely Italian to me.

John Tyler I knew would be an 0/5 as soon as it came up. I knew nothing about him other than "he followed William Henry Harrison and was called 'his accidency'", but couldn't even pull that up in time.

0/15 at the first break. Still not as bad as me being in the hole at that point the other day. Stoner was my only miss in "Oner", and I went 3/5 in Tour (missed $600 and $1000).

====

Funny how I referenced Geographical Fugue the other day, and Nagasaki/Yokohama comes up today. (Yes! Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!)

Bartlett's was messed up for me too. Not a glimmer of recognition on the first three. I clammed on $2000 since I wasn't sure if M. Night "DiMartino
and Konietzko hate my guts" Shyamalan wrote it or just directed, and I kinda forgot his name in the process. And that $1600 in Bartlett's? Nasty, NASTY negbait to name the characters instead. When three combinations of Stan/Kyle/Cartman were all negged, I couldn't get off characters, and was thinking "bwuh? But what else can it BE if it's not them?!?"

====

Nothing at all came to mind on FJ! I've vaguely heard of the name, but could tell you literally nothing else than that he was a pianist.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So they let them flail away at the South Park quote, when they wanted the creators, but remembered to mention that they wanted the writer for the 2000 Sixth Sense quote? *shrug* I guess the question is, does Bartlett's ever attribute quotes to fictional characters, rather than the writer/creator?

I could analyze Jared's wager, but it was probably just another 'nice round number'. Leigh...whatever. She obviously hated the category and had zero confidence in answering correctly, and she was right (wrong?).
KurtWeber
Contributor

Post by KurtWeber »

I would have been tempted to name the characters on the South Park one had it not been for the fact that they asked specifically for two names--that made it clear it had to be the creators and not the (three) non-Kenny main characters (because any combination of the two of them would have been completely arbitrary), so I went "Parker and Stone" because I can never remember which one is Matt and which one is Trey.
JoeSal90
Contributor

Post by JoeSal90 »

I struggled in the J! round and improved a little in the DJ! round and wound up with a $15,200 Coryat--even though it was $600 lower than my $15,800 on Wednesday.

FJ was an instaget--I think I would have gotten it anyway, but it helped remembering that my 7th grade Texas History teacher had that Time magazine cover on a "Famous Texans" bulletin board in his classroom 10 years ago.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

KurtWeber wrote:I would have been tempted to name the characters on the South Park one had it not been for the fact that they asked specifically for two names--that made it clear it had to be the creators and not the (three) non-Kenny main characters (because any combination of the two of them would have been completely arbitrary),
When I was a kid, I seem to remember that it was usually Kyle and Stan who would do the exchange. I don't remember Cartman ever saying it.

Then again, I haven't seen the show since that dreadful Scott Tenorman Must Die episode in 2001... shudder...
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

So tonight I decide to watch the movie "Bernie", and where do two of the characters go? The Van Cliburn Competition, of course.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I also thought they should have indicated "the writers" in the South Park clue, which might have prevented all three players from falling into the character trap.

I was pleasantly surprised that I precalled the correct FJ response.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DWS wrote:I also thought they should have indicated "the writers" in the South Park clue, which might have prevented all three players from falling into the character trap.
Trey and Matt voice Stan and Kyle, respectively, so that would've been a valid way to go too.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I mostly liked this board but I didn't do very well on it. That seems to be the trend lately.

I went with Parker and Stone for the "South Park" clue. I guess that I was tipped off by the fact that the clue wanted two names, too. And since I watch the show I knew that the line is mostly associated with just Stan.

This was a good game and I was impressed with the female contestant. But congrats to the champion for getting FJ and winning another one!

When I saw the FJ clue I figured that there were probably 5-10 people who could realistically be the correct response, provided that a classical musician would actually be the correct response to the clue. I didn't think of Van Cliburn during the commercial break but he was still an instant get.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
KurtWeber wrote:I would have been tempted to name the characters on the South Park one had it not been for the fact that they asked specifically for two names--that made it clear it had to be the creators and not the (three) non-Kenny main characters (because any combination of the two of them would have been completely arbitrary),
When I was a kid, I seem to remember that it was usually Kyle and Stan who would do the exchange. I don't remember Cartman ever saying it.

Then again, I haven't seen the show since that dreadful Scott Tenorman Must Die episode in 2001... shudder...
Oh man, the Scott Tenorman episode is one of the show's best. If you don't care for it...I'm afraid there's just nothing that can be done for you. Though I would like to invite you to the Chili Con Carnival I'm hosting. Radiohead is going to be there!

Not that I'm still a 12 year old at heart and I've seen all 200-something episodes of the show...nah, come on, I'm a grown man; that would just be silly. :oops:

To those who may be unaware, one member of the Parker/Stone duo is pictured in the avatar of StevenH.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

VC was a gimme if you knew the story, my Russian history classes came through. Great story.

I thought the South Park clue was low. I think it was always Stan and Kyle who said it except for once, so the interchangeability argument shouldn't apply. I think they put Seinfeld quotes in there too, which has a questionable creator v.writer line
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:So they let them flail away at the South Park quote, when they wanted the creators, but remembered to mention that they wanted the writer for the 2000 Sixth Sense quote? *shrug*
Yeah, I didn't like that clue.

Went 0/5 in the Tours category and didn't have so much as a guess for FJ.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I've chosen not to watch South Park, but if I'd realized they wanted the writers I would have known Parker and Stone.

FJ was an instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote:Oh man, the Scott Tenorman episode is one of the show's best. If you don't care for it...I'm afraid there's just nothing that can be done for you. Though I would like to invite you to the Chili Con Carnival I'm hosting. Radiohead is going to be there!
Granted, I was 14 when I saw that episode last, and not yet accustomed to something as dark and twisted as FEEDING SOMEONE THE GROUND-UP REMAINS OF THEIR OWN FREAKING PARENTS.
jeff6286 wrote:Not that I'm still a 12 year old at heart and I've seen all 200-something episodes of the show...nah, come on, I'm a grown man; that would just be silly. :oops:
I, on the other hand, admit to being a 12-year-old at heart.