Wednesday, July 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6663, 2013-07-31

2013 Kids Week game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Shuli Jones, a twelve-year-old seventh grader from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thomas Hurley, a twelve-year-old seventh grader from Newtown, Connecticut
Skyler Hornback, a twelve-year-old seventh grader from Sonora, Kentucky

OPENING REMARKS
Thanks, John. Future host of Jeopardy! competing on the program today. Shuli, Thomas, and Skyler, welcome aboard, and good luck to you. Have fun. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. One Daily Double in one of these categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THIS CATEGORY HAS "IZE" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: "i-z-e" coming up -- or, for Shuli's benefit, "i-zed-e" coming up in each correct response.)
WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST? (5/5)
AUTHORS (4/5)
LET'S PLAY A GAME (5/5)
TV TIME (5/5)
CAPITAL MAP IT ALL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Skyler: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Thomas: 7 R, 0 W
Shuli: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Skyler found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Skyler had $2,600, Thomas had $800, and Shuli was at $1,200. Skyler wagered $2,000.

THIS CATEGORY HAS "IZE" $400: To punish a sports player for an infraction

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Skyler: $5,200
Thomas: $2,600
Shuli: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Shuli Jones is our visitor from Canada, she's from the University of Toronto School. She was on a Canadian kids' lit quiz team that competed internationally. Where did that competition take place?

Shuli: It was in New Zealand.

Alex: That must have been exciting, traveling all the way from Toronto to New Zealand.

Shuli: It was a really long flight.

Alex: Yeah. How well did your team do?

Shuli: We placed second.

Alex: That's pretty good. Now, are you gonna continue on that quiz lit team? Is there an age limit on it?

Shuli: Well, it's until you turn 14, but I hope to keep going until that time.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Thomas Hurley, the young man who wants to replace me someday as host of Jeopardy! How old are you now?

Thomas: 12.

Alex: 12. I think you have to be 18 to host the program, which means I would have to host it for another six years. Do you mind waiting that long?

Thomas: Sure.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's okay by you?

Thomas: Yeah.

Alex: Okay. You'll have a lot of fun as the host. You'll meet a lot of interesting and bright people.

Thomas: You look like you're having a lot of fun.

Alex: Okay. I am. Thank you.

Alex: Skyler Hornback is from Sonora, Kentucky. He is 12 years old, but at the age of...

Skylar: 6.

Alex: ...6, you memorized the entire Gettysburg Address?

Skyler: Yes. It was during Lincoln Days. Actually gave the address in front of my sister's and brother-in-law's cabin that they had built for the contest, and we won. And a week later, I decided to memorize it 'cause I liked it so much.

Alex: And wait a minute. Didn't you do it on CNN?

Skyler: Yes, I did.

Alex: How old were you the when--

Skyler: I was 9 years old.

Alex: Oh, you were much older.

Skyler: Yeah. Three years is just such an eternity.

[Laughter]

Alex: I'm a straight man for the youth of our country. I hope you all appreciate that.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS $600: As a teenager in Missouri, he got a job as a writer on his brother's newspaper, the Hannibal Western Union

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Skyler: $10,200
Thomas: $5,200
Shuli: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PEAKS & VALLEYS (5/5)
MUSEUMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU DO THE MATH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD HISTORY (5/5)
LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU (4/5)
FOREIGN WORDS & PHRASES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Skyler: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Thomas: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Shuli: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Skyler snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Skyler had $11,400, Thomas had $5,200, and Shuli was at $2,400. Skyler wagered $10,000.

YOU DO THE MATH $1200: Vacation has taken you to a country where it's 4 pesos to every dollar, so your $7.50 gets you this many pesos

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Shuli who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Skyler had $32,600, Thomas had $9,600, and Shuli was at $10,400. Shuli wagered $4,000.

MUSEUMS $1600: What's called "The Oldest House Museum Complex" is located in this Florida city, the USA's oldest city
(Shuli: What...is...Tampa?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
YOU DO THE MATH $1600: You've got $2,000 saved for that Ferrari; at 5.5% annual interest, you'll make this much towards your goal in one year

LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU $400: Drake & Eminem were featured artists on "Loud", an album from this single-named singer

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Skyler: $36,600 (lock game)
Thomas: $9,600
Shuli: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CIVIL WAR

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds-tie for second place.
Skyler: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $17,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Thomas: Wager $3,200.
Shuli: Risk all $6,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Abraham Lincoln called this document, which took effect in 1863, "a fit and necessary war measure"

FINAL SCORES
Shuli: $6,400 - $3,200 = $3,200 (What is the second amendment?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Thomas: $9,600 - $3,000 = $6,600 (What is the Emanciptation Proclamation?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Skyler: $36,600 + $30,000 = $66,600 (What is the Emancipation Proclamation? ?) (Winner: $66,600)
(Alex: [revealing Thomas's response] Well, because he misspelled it badly...you put a "p" in there. That's unfortunate. The judges are ruling against you.)
[NOTE: The extra letter was a "t", not a "p".]
(Alex: Now, as most of our viewers know, the games are put together long before we know who the contestants are going to be, and all of a sudden, we have a young man named Skyler Hornback, who seems to have a great interest in the Civil War.)
(Alex: [revealing Skyler's wager] Oh, my gosh.)
[Audience gasps]
(Alex: $66,600. Almost! Almost a one-day record
for Jeopardy!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Skyler: $26,200, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Shuli: $10,400, 15 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Thomas: $9,600, 12 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $46,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Skyler: 30/60 = .500
Shuli: 15/59 = .254
Thomas: 12/58 = .207
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AUTHORS $1000: While living in Paris in the 1820s, this "Rip Van Winkle" author wrote plays to support himself
(Shuli: [no response])

TV TIME $200: "Here comes" this pint-sized beauty pageant sensation aka Alana Thompson
(Skyler: What is Toddlers & Tiaras?)

TV TIME $800: On "Phineas and Ferb," a lone platypus stands up against the evil plans of this doctor

CAPITAL MAP IT ALL $200: No roads lead into
this state capital

CAPITAL MAP IT ALL $400: It was first settled in 1624

CAPITAL MAP IT ALL $600: It became the state capital in 1854

CAPITAL MAP IT ALL $800: It lies on both sides of the Kennebec River

CAPITAL MAP IT ALL $1000: On November 25, 1861, it became a territorial capital

WORLD HISTORY $1200: In August 2008 the Summer Olympics took place in this Asian country
(Shuli: What is Beijing?)

PEAKS & VALLEYS $1200: Trying to find the highest peak in this mountain system? The "trail" leads to Mount Mitchell in North Carolina
(Skyler: What are the Smoky Mountains?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
penalize
Mark Twain
30 pesos
St. Augustine
$110
Rihanna
the Emancipation Proclamation
Washington Irving
Honey Boo Boo
Dr. Doofenshmirtz
Juneau
Albany
Sacramento
Augusta
Carson City
China
the Appalachian Mountains
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Gotta love it when any contestant, let alone a 12-year old, basically bets it all in a wheelhouse category.

Alex really tried to convey to Shuli what she needed to do on the last DD, but I'm certainly not going to chide a child regarding subtleties of the game. And in the end it didn't matter.

Skyler really seemed to know the classic categories, no surprise to see him go big in FJ even though it wasn't the optimal move. A tremendous job all around.

And Thomas didn't want anything to do with standing around while the end music played, he was not a happy camper, which I can completely understand.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Newspaper article in the Toronto Star, a few days ago:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07 ... jones.html
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Whoa. I assume that's a record for Kids Week? I know it's just under for the regular show.
I was of course very impressed by Skylar, but I also wish there was a way he could come back in ten or more years. He has great potential.
I understand the spelling rules are rules.. but yeesh, they could have given it to the kid.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

That is, indeed, the Kids Week record, breaking the mark of $49,000 held by Kunle Demuren since 2002. I have a feeling Skyler Hornback's $66,600 for a Kids Week game may never be bested.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Civil War
Abraham Lincoln called this document, which took effect in 1863, "A fit and necessary war measure".

Spoiler
What is the Emancipation Proclamation? Shuli said the Second Amendment; Thomas said Emanciptation Proclamation, getting ruled incorrect for including an errant "t"

Skyler Hornback: $36,600+$30,000=$66,600...wins $66,600 for first place
Thomas Hurley: $9,600-$3,000=$6,600
Shuli Jones: $6,400-$3,200=$3,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:And Thomas didn't want anything to do with standing around while the end music played, he was not a happy camper, which I can completely understand.
It was pretty clear. However, I really hope his experience didn't dampen his just as apparent love for the game.

Judges: are "sanitize" and "sterilize" interchangeable in "IZE" $800? (I also said something slightly different for "GAME" $600, but I forget the clue and response.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Skyler's bet was pure hubris. He deserved to get his comeuppance for that, especially since the challenger was negged for inserting a t.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

floridagator wrote:Skyler's bet was pure hubris. He deserved to get his comeuppance for that, especially since the challenger was negged for inserting a t.
It was his dream category. Why not go for it? It's not like he has bills to pay like the rest of us :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping he'd hit that last DD so he'd have a chance to top Roger Craig's $77,000. I loved his bet on the DD, a simple math question where you have time to puzzle it out. And I loved his FJ bet. He's a Lincoln buff an its about the Civil War? Go for it. Also, remember he's not coming back tomorrow no matter what, so risking the game isn't that big a deal.

I'd have given the kid the FJ even though he misspelled it. Its Kids Week and he comes in second place either way. He did look pretty upset and his dad wasn't much happier.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

He has the fourth highest one day regular game total of all time, behind Roger Craig $77K, Kenjen $75K, and Andy Richter $68K. Pre November 1001, however, Jerome Vered had $34K under the old values. Andy's game saw time ran out before the second DD could be found, so he, like tonight's winner, missed out on a DD.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Really, producers?

Nail a kid for adding a T? That ruined the whole episode for me.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

legendneverdies wrote:He has the fourth highest one day regular game total of all time, behind Roger Craig $77K, Kenjen $75K, and Andy Richter $68K. Pre November 1001, however, Jerome Vered had $34K under the old values. Andy's game saw time ran out before the second DD could be found, so he, like tonight's winner, missed out on a DD.
Jeopardy! Vikings Edition...looking for the future of SNL skits. :P

Nonetheless, congrats to Skyler, too bad he didn't wager everything. :(
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lisa0012 wrote:Whoa. I assume that's a record for Kids Week? I know it's just under for the regular show.
I was of course very impressed by Skylar, but I also wish there was a way he could come back in ten or more years. He has great potential.
I understand the spelling rules are rules.. but yeesh, they could have given it to the kid.
What she said. :)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

BOOM MFERS!!!!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, are we sure Skyler isn't Roger Craig's son?

dhkendall: I'll give you sterlize/sanitize since I said it too.

I bet jkbrat was tickled to see TV for $800.

More stupid *@#$!*@#ing math. The wheels were spinning for me on $1200 and $1600, but couldn't get to them in time, and just couldn't figure out how to do $2000 at all. (1.5 times 4, dingus.) I just keep overthinking the heck out of it, and try to claw at it in the most awkward way possible. ("Okay, five percent of 2000 is… … … …")

So when Rihanna does come up, I clam. Bleah. And she ends up my only miss there, too.

Tough break for the middle kid.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

I have only one word: AMAZING!

My mouth was dropping as soon as the 30000 appeared. Now, I knew that he could up to 17400 without losing, but still: 30000?!!!! Not to put too much pressure on him, but maybe we should see how he would do in a teen, college, or adult setting.

Even more about the wager: Like, that's something that only a Craig or a Jennings would even think of doing, especially since 30000 would have put the risk of a successful (not in a good way, however) Clavin situation.

All I can say is congratulations! I'm impressed!

On other terms, I finally got Final Jeopardy! right after 7 in a row wrong! (Yay!)
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

In other situations, I might be tempted to criticize a player for risking the lock, but that was AWESOME!

I got FJ as well, but when I was 12 (or, heck, when I was 22), I probably didn't know the difference between "The Emancipation Proclamation" and "The constitutional amendment that ended slavery". (Furthermore, I wouldn't have known the number of that amendment.)

I was hoping that I might go 30 for 30 in one round this week, but it hasn't happened yet. I wasn't writing everything down, but I think I went 27 for 30 in the J round. I missed two questions about cartoon characters, and I also didn't know that the biggest ship in Battleship isn't called the "battleship".
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

First off, the spelling error didn't make a difference in the outcome, so this shouldn't be a big drama. (Of course I feel bad for him, but it didn't cost him anything except the right to be 100% for his career in FJ).

J! is very consistent about the FJ spelling rules. ("Bejamin Franklin".) They can't start bending the rules for "close enough" for two reasons. One, there is a Standards and Practices department that makes sure the game is fair -- which includes enforcing the rules evenly -- and two, when you give a player in a three player game credit for an incorrect answer, you are being unfair to the other two players.

Recently in a knowledge competition, an official ruled one team correct for answers of "Steven Hawkings" and "A Midsummer's Night Dream" in one game. Close enough? Sure they are. But they are also (according to the rules of the game) incorrect, and the other team felt like they had been treated unfairly.

Shocking FJ wager, and his college fund is reaping the benefits, but it would've been a mess if that had backfired.