Thursday, August 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, August 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6664, 2013-08-01

2013 Kids Week game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Josiah Washington, a twelve-year-old seventh grader from Columbia, South Carolina
Blythe McWhirter, an eleven-year-old sixth grader from Decatur, Georgia
Clement Doucette, a twelve-year-old seventh grader from Hudson, Massachusetts

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You know, I'm still recovering from yesterday's exciting game in which 12-year-old Skyler Hornback from Kentucky set a new record for "Kids Week" shows, winning $66,600 --almost broke the all-time record for a one-day win. Now, he's got a four-year scholarship offer to him already from Western Kentucky University. Now, that total of $66,600, if he could do it yesterday, Josiah, Blythe, or Clement, you could do it today. Good luck. Here we go. Categories --let's take a look at them.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AT THE TOY STORE (5/5)
GEOGRAPHY 101 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COLORFUL EXPRESSIONS (5/5)
CELEBRITIES (5/5)
THIS & THAT (4/5)
BOOKS' MISSING ADJECTIVES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Clement: 13 R, 2 W
Blythe: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Josiah: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Clement: $4,000
Josiah: $1,600
Blythe: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As we all heard in the introduction by Johnny, Josiah Washington from South Carolina wants to be a chief executive of a roller-coaster company, and have you already started designing roller coasters?

Josiah: Yes. Well, a while ago for Christmas, my parents got me a roller-coaster-designing game for the computer. So ever since, I've been designing a bunch of them. And some of them were too dangerous for people to ride, so...yeah.

Alex: Well, then maybe we shouldn't build those, right?

Josiah: Yeah. [ chuckles ]

Alex: Okay. Remember --speed kills.

Alex: Blythe McWhirter is from Decatur, Georgia, who is a young singer in --what is the name of the choir?

Blythe: The Atlanta Young Singers of Callanwolde.

Alex: Callanwolde. Is that the name of the place?

Blythe: Yeah, it's a manor in Atlanta that's been...

Alex: I see. Now, what kind of songs do you perform?

Blythe: We mostly do classical. We had a holiday program recently, and I think soon we're gonna try '80s music.

Alex: 1980s music. That's cool. All right. You'll have fun with that.

Alex: Clement Doucette is from Hudson, Massachusetts. Now, I understand that you are working with your school to help protect a species that is endangered in your state. Tell me about that.

Clement: Yes, sir. They're called Blanding's turtles, and they're having trouble in the wild because a lot of species eat them. So we're gonna grow them up, and we'll release them in the spring.

Alex: How big are they?

Clement: They're about the size of a half dollar currently.

Alex: Oh, they're very tiny. No wonder other animals are eating them. All right. Good for you.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Blythe found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Clement had $5,400, Blythe had $3,800, and Josiah was at $2,800. Blythe wagered $800.

GEOGRAPHY 101 $600: 277 miles long & often 1 mile deep, it's the largest gorge in the U.S. of A.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THIS & THAT $1000: After a deadly duel in 1804, this vice president fled to Philadelphia to escape arrest

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Clement: $6,400
Blythe: $6,400
Josiah: $2,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, August 1, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT HAPPENED ON AUGUST 1 (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANIMATION APPRECIATION (4/4)
SCIENCE ROUNDUP (5/5)
INTERESTED IN A JOB, KID? (5/5)
EXPLORATION (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"HEAD" OF THE CLASS (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Josiah: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Blythe: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Clement: 3 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Josiah snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Clement had $6,400, Blythe had $6,400, and Josiah was at $4,400. Josiah wagered $2,000.

EXPLORATION $1600: In 1609 this Englishman sailed The Half Moon into New York Bay
[Josiah says nothing.]
(Alex: Pick a name.)
(Josiah: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: YES!!)
(Josiah: Oh!)
(Alex: Did I frighten you?)
[Josiah chuckles.]
(Alex: I hope not.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Clement who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Clement had $8,800, Blythe had $10,800, and Josiah was at $16,000. Clement wagered $2,000.

IT HAPPENED ON AUGUST 1 $1200: This was abolished in Britain's Caribbean colonies on Aug. 1, 1834

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EXPLORATION $800: In 1958 Vivian Fuchs became the first to cross Antarctica by land; he was joined partway by this Everest conquerer
(Josiah: Who is Edward Hillary?)

EXPLORATION $1200: Jacques Cartier's explorations of this 800-mile-long river laid the basis for French claims on the region
(Blythe: What is the Mississippi River?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Blythe: $14,400
Josiah: $14,000
Clement: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POSTAL ABBREVIATIONS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Blythe: Wager $13,601 to cover Josiah.
Josiah: You have to wager $3,601 to cover Clement's doubled score, but certainly no more than $5,199, so as to force Clement to be right to have a chance at winning.
Clement: Consider risking between $5,201 and $7,999. This will top a $0 wager by Josiah while still beating Blythe on the Triple Stumper (should Blythe wager to cover Josiah's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Like NM & MN, the postal abbreviations of these 2 states are the reverse of one another

FINAL SCORES
Clement: $8,800 - $8,800 = $0 (What Nevada) (3rd place: $1,000)
Josiah: $14,000 + $8,200 = $22,200 (What is Alabama + Louisiana) (New champion: $22,200)
Blythe: $14,400 - $5,600 = $8,800 (What are Alaska and Kansas) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Blythe: $14,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Josiah: $13,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Clement: $8,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Josiah: 20/59 = .339
Blythe: 17/59 = .288
Clement: 16/59 = .271
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CELEBRITIES $600: This NBA shooting guard was named for expensive Japanese beef
(Clement: Who is kobe beef?)
(Alex: [*], yes. We were going for the name of the NBA star.)

COLORFUL EXPRESSIONS $400: This type of structure
is seen here
(Clement: What is a glass house?)
(Alex: Remember, it's colorful expressions.)

THIS & THAT $600: This mammal's name derives from Greek words meaning "nose-horned"
(Josiah: What are narwhals?)

SCIENCE ROUNDUP $800: Usually starting in the upper respiratory tract, the common cold is caused by one of these microorganisms
(Josiah: What is a germ?)
(Alex: Oh, be more specific.)
(Josiah: [*])
(Alex: That's it, yes.)

SCIENCE ROUNDUP $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) To communicate reactions to things like heat or pain, messages from your brain can travel at 200 miles per hour along these bundles of axon and dendrite fibers

INTERESTED IN A JOB, KID? $2000: Crunch some numbers & go over deductions as a CPA, a certified public this
(Josiah: What is an agent?)
(Clement: What is attorney?)
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Grand Canyon
Aaron Burr
Hudson
slavery
Edmund Hillary
St. Lawrence River
Alabama (AL) & Louisiana (LA)
Kobe Bryant
greenhouse
rhinoceros
a virus
nerves
accountant
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Postal Abbreviations
Like NM & MN, the postal abbreviations of these 2 states are the reverse of each other.

Spoiler
What are Alabama and Louisiana? (AL & LA) Clement said Nevada; Blythe said Alaska and Kansas. (AK & KS) Josiah was right, naming Alabama and Louisiana, and it seemed from Alex's reaction that the abbreviations would have been accepted as well, as he said "You wrote them out".

Blythe McWhirter: $14,400-$5,600=$8,800
Josiah Washington: $14,000+$8,200=$22,200...wins $22,200 for first place
Clement Doucette: $8,800-$8,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Gotta root for any preteen that does the Rubin Bounce!

The late clue in DJ regarding a US president must have lived in the US for at least 14 years holds a special place in my heart.

FJ was a good solve for anybody, let alone a kid. Awesome.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Excellent FJ clue, definitely regular-show worthy. There was really no logical place to start (unless you got lucky and tried alphabetically), I got lucky and, after trying the three west coast states, just hopped around the USA trying places like Pennsylvania and Ohio before landing at Alabama at the 15 second point. Kudos to the roller coaster tycoon who got it, I'd love to know how he did it!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leander

Post by Leander »

After floundering for a few seconds, I think I figured that most (not all) postal abbrevations combine a vowel and consonant, so started with the vowels beginning with A. It also helped that the two states were geographically close.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Living in one of those states was a big help. Not sure if I'd have gotten NM/MN.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Arrrrrrgh. Kids' Weekers, y u no finish Animation? You did four of the five early on, but had to leave that last one forever to taunt me.

I seem to be stuck at 25 on J! rounds this week, but it would've been more. I knew Pattinson and Penultimate Peril but couldn't pull either out, and had brain-lock on Special Olympics. Not sure if I would've pulled the trigger on Uglydoll, so Saudi Arabia was the only one that outright didn't come to me (I mentally guessed India).

Funny how three of my four misses in DJ were Explorers, the fourth being Patriots.

This FJ! is easy if you start right at the top. Alabama is AL; is LA anything? Louisiana.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Talk about a contrast in personalities ...

I agree that FJ would have been a bit more difficult if asked for the other pair, but good game by Josiah.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! is easy if you start right at the top. Alabama is AL; is LA anything? Louisiana.
To be fair, AK is right at the top. ;)
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I still can't ever get a perfect round in Kids Week.

I think I only missed two in this DJ round (in which not all clues were revealed). I'm not familiar with "Total Drama" or whatever it was called, and I also foolishly blurted out "De Soto" for the Ponce De Leon clue.

This FJ was surprisingly tricky for Kids Week. I got it, but it took me at least five or ten seconds, and I had to remind myself, "Don't panic, you'll eventually find it."

I started at the west coast and went east, but when I wasn't finding it quickly, I changed strategies. I thought "Maybe it's another M or N state? There are lots of those... MA is Massachusetts... A is a common letter. Oh! AL and LA! Which means Louisiana, and I'm pretty sure Alabama as opposed to Alaska."
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I'm glad the champ knew how to spell both Alabama and Louisiana :D
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Instaget FJ- just started at the beginning and hit it right away! I wonder if the writers considered that in offering it up, because otherwise it could've been tough (e.g., had they given AL-LA and required MN-NM).

Other guesses weren't terrible, either. Nevada is NV, and he could've thought Virginia was VN, whereas AK could certainly reverse to KA for Kansas.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I saw the clue and thought "Oh, dear God, do I REALLY have to sort through 48 postal abbreviations and come up with two that are reverses of each other?" and tried to see if the other two-worders worked, since the abbreviations for those are easy to remember. My mom got it quickly, though, and she claims to have started at the beginning of the alphabet, which helped others here. Today was an assist here, though I believe I'm on my way to my first 5/5. (Hey, Jeopardy! is Jeopardy!. They just adjust the difficulty based on who's playing.)

I need to be shot for thinking Nevada was a bad guess since I forgot that MY BIRTH STATE begins with a V.

Josiah seemed very excited when he won.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

StrangerCoug wrote:Josiah seemed very excited when he won.
Yes! And Clement needs to hang out with Sallie and hope he absorbs some of her joie de vivre.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wow! Exciting thread compared to yesterday.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:This FJ! is easy if you start right at the top. Alabama is AL; is LA anything? Louisiana.
To be fair, AK is right at the top. ;)
I think he means the full names, not the abbreviations.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:
Yes! And Clement needs to hang out with Sallie and hope he absorbs some of her joie de vivre.
I thought that too.

Brian

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:
Good one. That made me laugh. And I needed a laugh after taking 31 seconds to figure out the FJ clue. I failed on another of my FJ rules by trying geography and not switiching to alphabetical. I did the Pacific states and then I tried FLorida heading up the Atlantic. Panic set in and I thought maybe it was something with the Dakotas or Carolinas. Just as time expired I tried vowels. I had it just as the music ended with no time to even write AL & LA.

Alphabetical would have had it done immediately. I have missed Kids Week FJs clues before, so I'm used to not ending the season on a perfect note. The mention I made a few hours ago about Alabama in the New/Old Game thread did nothing to help me. Definitely that clue could have played for the adults and 3/3 would not be guaranteed.

Great job by Josiah to get it and to beat the minimum payout. It was not a gimme solve.

Who has a popular names list handy? I'm curious how far down it takes to find a Clement and a Blythe? Sometimes it can be nice to have a name to yourself instead of being known by your last name initial all through school.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Clement hasn't been in the top 1000 boy names since 1969. 100 years ago it was in the top 300.

Blythe is even less popular, not hitting the top 1000 any time in the last 100 years. At least according to the SSA.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.