One year later

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: One year later

Post by Woof »

skullturf wrote:I was also in the last group of 3 at my audition.

So, my optimistic hope is that being either in the first group or the last group might mean something? I think I did very well on the in-person written test, but it's quite possible that above a certain point, that doesn't mean anything. (For instance, maybe it doesn't mean anything if you get 46 out of 50 as opposed to 39 out of 50.)
The consensus view is that the in-person test is basically in place to assure the staff that you are the same person who passed the online test (or that you passed the online without cheating). So, as long as you score above some threshold value, your score on the in person test would be irrelevant.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

skullturf wrote:I was also in the last group of 3 at my audition.
This year was my first audition, and I was in the last group of 3. Each time 3 new names got called, I felt my heart in my throat. I remember thinking, "Oh God, this is it!" It was... nervewracking to say the least :lol:

Of course, my audition time had 1 extra person, so myself and another (un?)lucky soul got to play 2 mock games. I felt good after that (and after giving the correct response to the last question of the session).
Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

jfrumkin wrote: As we were getting ready to walk out on stage for an episode, the other contestants and I all figured out that we had been the first name called at our respective auditions. I asked Robert, "Is that a thing? Or you probably can't tell us." He just smiled. So, who knows.
Good point. For my third (and last) audition, my name was the first called at my audition. I know I did really well on the test there, and I absolutely OWNED my audition. I told stories, I laughed at myself, I spoke in West Anglo Saxon (Old English, the language Beowulf was written in), I included the other audition-ers in my tales, too. I babbled on coherently in a clear voice, making eye contact, etc., for a good ten minutes, with Maggie and Corina encouraging me. Kind of felt like I sucked the air out the room for the next guy, when they moved on to him. There were a few people who Maggie absolutely had to drag information out of, and it was like pulling teeth. If it's not in your personality to be outgoing, then you can't force it, but you can at least make an effort to engage with one or two contestant coordinators.
bunkie wrote: One more thing. I did the audition in my lucky seersucker suit (so named because it got me on the show). On the day of taping, I wore it as well. Unfortunately, it strobed terribly, so I was asked to change into my other suit. Hmmm...

I remember the joy in your voice when you mentioned the famous seersucker suit in the green room. Alas for the strobing; how different things might have been . . .
Bunkie
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Bunkie »

This year was my first audition, and I was in the last group of 3. Each time 3 new names got called, I felt my heart in my throat. I remember thinking, "Oh God, this is it!" It was... nervewracking to say the least
I really do think the secret is to have a good time. My gut feeling is that people who get picked largely do so because they really get into the spirit of it all. Maggie and Robert were aggressively trying to fire people up, it can be a bit intimidating. I remember thinking as I left the audition (with the probability calculation going in my head, "let's see, about 2500 in the pool, about 200 or so slots in a year, 1.5 years, a little better than 1 in 10..."), that it was a lot of fun and a really unique experience. The one thing I came away with is that *every* contestant (and most everyone at the audition) has the knowledge to do well on the show. How you do is really up to other factors.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

marpocky wrote:At my most recent addition, I don't remember if I was literally the last name, but I was in the last group of 3. Hmm...
During my face-to-face audition in Boston, I was in the last group of three, and got The Call on the very first day we were told that the calls were being made. Weird, eh?
alietr wrote:Well, nobody told me I looked good on television. Sigh.
Well, a number of people here thought I looked like Richard Attenborough, and a photo was posted, so I got that going for me.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Bunkie wrote:Hi Johnblue,

Thanks! Hey were you at the audition in NYC in June of last year? There was a fellow who was an ATC who lived in Buffalo and commuted down to JFK (if I remember correctly). Might you be the same person?

My last audition was June of 2010, I think. It was at the Waldorf. I've done very well on subsequent on-line tests but no luck getting even the audition call. That's why easy Triple Stumpers really burn me up!
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

Along the lines of order of being called during the audition-does anyone have any conspiracy theories about if you get called up a second time, because the last group needs an extra person? This happen to me last time, and Maggie said it was random. Though I can also see it being a chance at giving someone a second look, or them saying enjoy this while you can because this is the closest you'll get to actually playing.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

Robbo wrote:Along the lines of order of being called during the audition-does anyone have any conspiracy theories about if you get called up a second time, because the last group needs an extra person? This happen to me last time, and Maggie said it was random. Though I can also see it being a chance at giving someone a second look, or them saying enjoy this while you can because this is the closest you'll get to actually playing.
I was called up a second time, and I later became a contestant. I think all the selection for the audition games is random. The most important part of the audition, I suspect, is when we are asked to talk about ourselves (and what we plan to do with the money if we win). Fun, quirky, chatty people are good prospects. Dull, humdrum, dour people are not.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

pinkfreud wrote:
Robbo wrote:Along the lines of order of being called during the audition-does anyone have any conspiracy theories about if you get called up a second time, because the last group needs an extra person? This happen to me last time, and Maggie said it was random. Though I can also see it being a chance at giving someone a second look, or them saying enjoy this while you can because this is the closest you'll get to actually playing.
I was called up a second time, and I later became a contestant. I think all the selection for the audition games is random. The most important part of the audition, I suspect, is when we are asked to talk about ourselves (and what we plan to do with the money if we win). Fun, quirky, chatty people are good prospects. Dull, humdrum, dour people are not.
If I remember correctly, at my second audition I was in the last full group of three and did another round to get everyone their turn. At my third (and last) audition, I think I was in the middle somewhere.

I felt as if I botched the interview my first two times but did acceptably my third time. One thing I remember doing my third time is springing up first to get my picture taken, saying "I'm not scared!".

I'm guessing that people who speak too softly, or call the categories too slowly, in the mock game are virtually certain to be eliminated; out of the people who do well in the mock game, there are probably some who tank the interview badly enough to remove themselves from consideration. Aside from those auditioners whose interviews really "pop", it's probably a fairly close decision from there, and I've always assumed that demographic considerations play a part.

Sorry if I've already mentioned this, but I thought the best answer at my last audition to "What would you do with the money?" was "Take a trip and stay at a hotel nice enough that the clerk isn't behind bars."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BADuBois wrote:Well, a number of people here thought I looked like Richard Attenborough
That's only because, in your avatar, you're standing next to a dinosaur.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

At my audition, the woman who got called up for a second chance to play took full advantage of the opportunity. Remembering what Glenn & Corina had told us about needing to bring wardrobe changes should we get the call, the woman, as she approached the table, cleverly whipped off her sweater with a flourish (she was wearing a blouse or something under it) and said, “Oh yeah! I’ve got to change for the second day.” That got a laugh from everyone.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nserven wrote:
At my audition, the woman who got called up for a second chance to play took full advantage of the opportunity. Remembering what Glenn & Corina had told us about needing to bring wardrobe changes should we get the call, the woman, as she approached the table, cleverly whipped off her sweater with a flourish (she was wearing a blouse or something under it) and said, “Oh yeah! I’ve got to change for the second day.” That got a laugh from everyone.
If she doesn't get on, I'll be very surprised.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

Case wrote:
sarahbree wrote:I still feel woozy when I hear the intro music
Me too, me too!
My second favorite comment (the most common) "Is that YOU?" wow, they made you look so good.." .
I usually play up the whole make-up artist thing, but still, I don't think people need to be quite so shocked at how talented Sandy was. :roll:
Note to self: Not just new distance glasses and cortisone shots for the hands, also make appointments for Botox and hair colour before flying out to do the show!

:lol:

eta. I was the person called up first at my audition, and, like Bunkie, I'm definitely ham on rye, being a retired opera diva ("Dreaded Opera Category" my eye!). This bodes well for me... I think... I hope...

:D
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rouquinne wrote:Note to self: Not just new distance glasses and cortisone shots for the hands, also make appointments for Botox and hair colour before flying out to do the show!

:lol:
Yep, Hi-Def TV definitely shows up everything (especially if you have a 60" TV!!) :shock: I saw wrinkles and such that I didn't even see in my own mirror!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

immaf wrote:At auditions, they usually say that the order in which you are called up to play the mock game is meaningless. But this time around (my 5th swim in the pool) my name *was* called first, so...
It is meaningless. I was the first person called at my last audition.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

econgator wrote:
immaf wrote:At auditions, they usually say that the order in which you are called up to play the mock game is meaningless. But this time around (my 5th swim in the pool) my name *was* called first, so...
It is meaningless. I was the first person called at my last audition.
Ok I'll bite... That doesn't necessarily prove that it's meaningless, does it?
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Bunkie wrote:Hi Johnblue,

Thanks! Hey were you at the audition in NYC in June of last year? There was a fellow who was an ATC who lived in Buffalo and commuted down to JFK (if I remember correctly). Might you be the same person?
Holla, NYC June auditioners! I think I remember that story... either of you guys remember the ornithology student?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

To chime in a bit late, I was the first one called up, too. But there was at least one other person from my audition group who made the show and wasn't in the first group (somewhere in the middle, I think), so take that as more anecdotal evidence that proves nothing, but makes one go "hmmm..."
Woof

Post by Woof »

It seems reasonable to me that people who've distinguished themselves, through appearance or behavior, might get called on first, even if by unconscious selection. Bias is incredibly difficult to eradicate from any uncontrolled selection process.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I was called up first (the very first person) at my first audition, in a middle group at my second, and not yet for the show itself. For whatever that's worth.