Tuesday, September 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6667, 2013-09-17

CONTESTANTS
Tova Meyer, a graduate student in education from Princeton, New Jersey
Melissa Jurgens, a lawyer from Arlington, Virginia
Jared Hall, a graduate student in global policy studies from Austin, Texas (whose 3-day cash winnings total $88,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Thank you, Johnny.
Thank you,
ladies and gentlemen. And welcome to our show. I hope you were watching yesterday because our returning champion, Jared, started our new season in the same way he ended last season --with a big win --$88,000-plus after just three appearances.
Melissa and Tova, welcome aboard.
Good luck to all three of you.
Let's go to work, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ISLANDS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAME-DROPPING SONGS (5/5)
JUST CURIOUS (5/5)
POTENT POTABLES (5/5) (With Kathie Lee and Hoda)
DIRECT FROM THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
OP-EDS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jared: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tova: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Melissa: 9 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jared found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Jared had $600, Melissa had $2,600, and Tova was at $1,400. Jared wagered $1,000.

ISLANDS $800: A poet described this divided island as a "golden green leaf thrown into" the Mediterranean Sea

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Melissa: $3,400
Jared: $1,600
Tova: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: This has been a busy time for Tova Meyer --got the call for "Jeopardy!" What else happened at about the same time?

Tova: In the same week I got the call for "Jeopardy!" I found out I got into graduate school.

Alex: Good for you.

Tova: And so shortly thereafter, I left my job, moved about 200 miles away, got a new apartment, started school, and here on "Jeopardy!"

Alex: Good for you.

Tova: It's been a very busy time.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Melissa Jurgens is an attorney who made extra money while she was attending law school by doing something that we don't hear about anymore.

Melissa: I helped a friend who is a dance instructor to teach eighth-graders dance and etiquette.

Alex: Etiquette. We teach etiquette still?

Melissa: Sometimes.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Jared Hall. You found a handwritten note...

Jared: Yes.

Alex: ...By someone famous, a famous athlete.

Jared: Yes, a famous basketball player --Kevin Durant. He's a star for the Oklahoma City Thunder, and he was a star of the U.S. Olympic team. And I found it on the floor of a bathroom at the University of Texas. And as far as I know, it's authentic. I wound up selling it on ebay for 50 bucks.

Alex: Okay. Good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ISLANDS $1000: Amelia Earhart was lost near Howland Island after making her last stop at Lae on this Pacific island

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jared: $6,000
Tova: $5,400
Melissa: $4,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I MADE UP YOUR MIND (2/4) (You have to identify the author for us.)
ANATOMY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CONSTITUTION DAY (5/5) (And in honor of the anniversary of the signing of our constitution, clues about our rights in...)
BALLET DANCERS IN THE CINEMA (3/4)
AMERICANA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"OP" ENDS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jared: 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Melissa: 5 R, 2 W
Tova: 2 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jared snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Jared had $10,400, Melissa had $9,400, and Tova was at $5,400. Jared wagered $5,000.

ANATOMY $1200: (Jimmy of the clue crew shows us a diagram of arm bones in the lab.) Ligametns connect one bone to another; muscle is connected to a bone by one of these, which pulls the bone when a muscle contracts.

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jared who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Jared had $20,200, Melissa had $9,400, and Tova was at $5,400. Jared wagered $5,000.

AMERICANA $1200: When this stone split asunder in 1774, it was said to be an omen of America's split from the British Empire

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"OP" ENDS $2000: A concession, perhaps to Cerberus
(Jared: What is a... [no answer])

I MADE UP YOUR MIND $2000: Felix Hoenikker, father of ice-nine & the atom bomb

I MADE UP YOUR MIND $1200: Dr. Henry Jekyll

BALLET DANCERS IN THE CINEMA $800: Zizi Jeanmaire played Doro, Danny Kaye's love interest, in a 1952 musical about this Danish storyteller
[Melissa is initially credited with a correct answer, but is reversed after the break due to a missing "s" in Hans.]
[end-of-round signal sounds]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jared: $32,000 (lock game)
Tova: $9,400
Melissa: $6,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: ...than they were a few moments ago. After reviewing the tape, the judges have decided to take money away from Melissa because she dropped an "s" From Hans Christian Andersen's name, turned him into a "Han," as in "Han Solo." But Jared is the man to catch, and they won't do it today.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. PLACES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; two-thirds for second place.
Jared: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $13,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Tova: Wager $3,801 to cover Melissa.
Melissa: Risk between $0 and $1,000, and you just may move up into second place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A logo on this town's website includes its incorporation date, 1981, as well as the historic date Dec. 17, 1903

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $6,600 - $6,599 = $1 (What is I dont kn) (3rd place: $1,000)
Tova: $9,400 - $3,900 = $5,500 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jared: $32,000 + $10,000 = $42,000 (What is Kitty Hawk, NC) (4-day champion: $130,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jared: $24,200, 28 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Tova: $9,400, 11 R, 0 W
Melissa: $6,600, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jared: 29/61 = .475
Melissa: 14/58 = .241
Tova: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ISLANDS $200: There are more than 600 gigantic stone figures on this island

POTENT POTABLES $200: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) As Nick Charles says in "The Thin Man", it's all about the rhythm in the shaking--you shake a Manhattan to fox trot time but you use waltz time to shake a dry one of these gin drinks

POTENT POTABLES $400: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) After you swirl the wine, look for the rivulets that slide down the inside of the glass...they're called tears or these, which usually mean the wine is full-bodied
(Alex: I should point out that as we go along through this category you will notice something happening to the two ladies. But that's to come.)

POTENT POTABLES $600: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) We tried a month of on-air sobriety, but as it turns out, antioxidants in red wine may help prevent heart disease...by raising the HDL or the good type of this & lowering the bad type

DIRECT FROM THE DICTIONARY $200: "Aseptic" , or "incapable of producing offspring"
(Melissa: What is infertile?)

POTENT POTABLES $800: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) A magnum of wime equals 2 standard bottles of wine; yes but you can really have a party with the size named for this Babylonian king -- by the way, it's the equivalent of 20 standard bottles

OP-EDS $400: Resurfacing in 2012 was Mitt Romney's 2008 anti-auto bailout op-ed "let" this city "go bankrupt"
(Alex: And it has.)

POTENT POTABLES $1000: (Kathie Lee and Hoda give the clue.) French scientist say the best merhod of pouring champagne is down the side of the glass...which preserves up to twice as much of this gas, keeping the fizz in your bubbly
(Alex: And one thing we can say with certainty now is it would be fun to spend time with those two ladies.)
[audience laughs]

JUST CURIOUS $1000: This Conde Nast digital site is "for people who love to eat"
(Jared: What is Bon Appetit?)

ANATOMY $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a diagram of the abdominal nerves in the lab.) One of the largest masses of nerve cells in the body sits behind the stomach in this network of nerves, which is why a blow there can be so disabling.

AMERICANA $1600: (Vice President Biden reads the clue.

BALLET DANCERS IN THE CINEMA $2000: This Native American ballerina who died in 2013 played Anna Pavlova in Esther Williams' "Million Dollar Mermaid"
(Melissa: Who is Tallchief?)
(Alex: Which one?)
(Melissa: Uhhh, Martha?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Cyprus
New Guinea
a tendon
Plymouth Rock
a sop
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr
Robert Louis Stevenson
Hans Christian Andersen
Kitty Hawk, NC
Easter Island
a martini
legs
cholesterol
sterile
Nebuchadnezzar
Detroit
carbon dioxide
epicurious
the solar plexus
Columbia
Maria Tallchief
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Places
A logo on this town's website includes its incorporation date, 1981, as well as the historic date December 17, 1903.

Spoiler
What is Kitty Hawk, NC? Melissa said I don't know; Tova had no guess.

Jared Hall: $32,000+$10,000=$42,000...now a 4-day champion with $130,401
Tova Meyer: $9,400-$3,900=$5,500
Melissa Jurgens: $6,600-$6,599=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

A marvelous performance for Jared Hall! It could potentially endure as the largest one-day win in season 30, and it's already the biggest one-day total since Joon Pahk took home $50,800 on October 4, 2011, almost two years ago. I'll be cheering for Jared Hall to reach five wins tomorrow. I think he would be an excellent addition to the next Tournament of Champions field.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I rarely precall FJ based on the category, but I nailed this one.

I hate having an entire category unrevealed, but if we could go back and undo the booze category, I'd be fine with it.
Thom
Contributor

Post by Thom »

I also precalled FJ based on the category, but it took almost the whole commercial break to realize that it was possible to precall.

thom
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I rarely precall FJ based on the category, but I nailed this one.
Indeed, I was half considering marking this FJ "spoiled by the board" (I have a couple marked that way), but I was pretty sure I would have got it anyways.

Which makes Monday's error odder, how(/why) the heck did they get Tuesday's responses in front of Monday's contestants and displaying Monday's winnings?
Bamaman wrote:I hate having an entire category unrevealed, but if we could go back and undo the booze category, I'd be fine with it.
Seconded. I was getting my hopes up a bit by having all the clues revealed in the J! round and even what looked like an edit in the DJ! round (where someone (Jared I think) answered incorrectly and Alex quickly called time and gave the answer, instead of waiting a while for the others to try) to show that they were actually going to try to display all 61 clues this season, despite wordy presenters or a chatty host, but having the first undisplayed clues this season, due solely to Two Drunk Ladies (whoever they are. Who are they and why are they popular??) dashed that.

Nice to see Biden again, talking about something other than cars too (although most likely taped at the same time). And of course with a question that's right up my alley! (I've presented "Hail Columbia" as the pre-1931 unofficial anthem on my site for a while, but even I wasn't exactly sure as to how official the de facto was, or if it could be considered that. I'll take the authority of the clue writers, through the mouth of the actual vice president, as vindication now (in case anyone actually asks me again).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think this is a first. We have a celebrity video category with two celebrities, both of whom are sloshed, and we still go 30/30. But Biden's five-part miniseries clue on "Hail, Columbia" left us two short in DJ! Weird.
dhkendall wrote:due solely to Two Drunk Ladies (whoever they are. Who are they and why are they popular??) dashed that.
Oh come on, even I know who Kathie Lee is. Hoda Kotb I recognized because she was in the video for Martina McBride's "I'm Gonna Love You Through It", and you know how I am with remembering odd names (e.g. THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF). Seriously, Kotb? Did you forget to buy a vowel?

====

Got clammy on Islands. I almost guessed on Falkland for no real reason, clammed on Shetland since I didn't know there was a Shetland dog too, and got gun-shy on Cyprus.

Diana was my only miss in Name Dropping Songs. NHO that one.

That "eclipse" clue totally baffled me since I didn't realize that more than just the sun and moon can do that. Never heard of stars (and yes, I know the Sun is a star) eclipsing before.

"This gas in champagne" at $1,000? Really?

====

I thought $1200 was the easiest in Constitution Day. $400 in particular seemed tricky.

Anyone else think that "thyroxine" -> "thyroid" was borderline Stupid Answers, and thus way too easy for $1600? Between that and clamming on "deltoid", I cost myself a run there.

Mummers was my only miss in Americana. NHOI.

Jekyll = Stevenson a TS? What the hell happened there?!

====

Neither date in the clue meant a thing to me. I couldn't imagine anything on the East Coast taking until 1981 to incorporate, nor could I think of anything famous that happened in the 1900-1910 range.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

dhkendall wrote:having the first undisplayed clues this season, due solely to Two Drunk Ladies (whoever they are. Who are they and why are they popular??) .
Kathie Lee and Hoda host the final hour of The Today Show. And they drink the whole hour. It's painful.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

lisa0012 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:having the first undisplayed clues this season, due solely to Two Drunk Ladies (whoever they are. Who are they and why are they popular??) .
Kathie Lee and Hoda host the final hour of The Today Show. And they drink the whole hour. It's painful.
Kathie Lee hosted the Regis daytime show alongside Mr. Philbin for 13 years beforehand, and was a "singer"(AKA the La-La girl as she once called herself) on the 1970s Tom Kennedy hosted Name that Tune.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Certainly helps explain what happened yesterday, but that is still so weird.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

lisa0012 wrote:
Personally, whenever I do think to watch The Today Show, it's usually just the second hour. I'll sometimes watch the third hour if I'm dying to look at the lovely Natalie Morales some more (and I'd love to see her and Savannah Guthrie present their own J! category someday), but I know I do NOT watch that fourth hour with my least favorite Today Show personality, Hoda Kotb (and no, I think Kathie Lee's not any better, mind you).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

lisa0012 wrote:
Yes I do know who Kathie Lee is, but she didn't look a thing like how I remember her, and thought it was another famous Kathie Lee.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

dhkendall wrote:
Which makes Monday's error odder, how(/why) the heck did they get Tuesday's responses in front of Monday's contestants and displaying Monday's winnings?
I agree.... this is really head spinning. I hope somebody comes up with the correct answer....

And speaking of the correct answer, I puzzled out the FJ answer... after about five minutes of serious thinking, which was, of course, four minutes and thirty seconds too long...

Still wrapping my mind around the new set.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a good board but I had a hard time with it, with the exception of the Constitution category, which was an easy run.

I couldn't help but think of Sarah Whitcomb on the "Delilah" clue.

I was wondering if the judges were going to do a reversal on "Han." I definitely heard "Han," but I wasn't sure if it had to be ruled as being incorrect.

I blanked on FJ. Nothing registered with me from "1903." That one was definitely a forehead slapper. It hurts to start the season 0/2 on FJs.

Even with the clam on Stevenson, I would probably call Jared the favorite for the the next ToC, if it was held right now.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

So THAT'S where the other set of answers on Monday came from! (I probably would have gotten it from 1903 anyway given enough thought.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:

Neither date in the clue meant a thing to me. I couldn't imagine anything on the East Coast taking until 1981 to incorporate, nor could I think of anything famous that happened in the 1900-1910 range.
The screen shot of today's FJ responses in yesterday's thread didn't tip you off?

I'll credit myself with a get in this week's thread. I think 1903 would have given it to me.

I did not know the two drunk ladies was a real show. I'll make a note not to watch it.
Commgrad
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Commgrad »

Can anyone help me out the with the ACLU question and answer in the category Constitution Day? The game went by so fast - I need a transcript....
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Commgrad wrote:Can anyone help me out the with the ACLU question and answer in the category Constitution Day? The game went by so fast - I need a transcript....
It will be on http://www.j-archive.com soon.

southsidehitman
Has Been in Cliff Clavin's Kitchen

Post by southsidehitman »

25000 Coryat today, so I'm rounding back into form already - and I was SHOCKED that Stevenson and Vonnegut were both TS's but Larsson wasn't. Kids these days. :)

And I, too, noticed after the fact that today's responses were displayed yesterday. My guess is that it was an editing mistake in post production.
"Well, I'm not quite ready, so I'm gonna do it now."