RIP online Howdies?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

RIP online Howdies?

Post by Robert K S »

I can't find where the Hometown Howdies can be accessed anymore.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: RIP online Howdies?

Post by jeff6286 »

A commenter on Jeannie's blog discovered that they are now putting the Howdies on their youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JEOPARDY?feature=watch
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah... just found it. Thanks!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

There is a link at the bottom of the jeopardy.com page.

Rex
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

The link is new; it wasn't there earlier this week. I'm glad they put one up, since I'm still hoping a couple of the people I auditioned with get the call.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm guessing the page where they show pictures of the contestants and where they're from is RIP. That's unfortunate. I liked checking those out, and never watched the Howdies.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

alietr wrote:I'm guessing the page where they show pictures of the contestants and where they're from is RIP. That's unfortunate. I liked checking those out, and never watched the Howdies.
I also enjoyed that. One reason is that I'm curious to see if anyone from my audition group ever appears on the show. I'm not aware of anyone who has (but I wouldn't necessarily recognize all 25 to 30 people from my group). I auditioned in Philadelphia just over one year ago (September 10th, 2012).
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

skullturf wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm guessing the page where they show pictures of the contestants and where they're from is RIP. That's unfortunate. I liked checking those out, and never watched the Howdies.
I also enjoyed that. One reason is that I'm curious to see if anyone from my audition group ever appears on the show. I'm not aware of anyone who has (but I wouldn't necessarily recognize all 25 to 30 people from my group). I auditioned in Philadelphia just over one year ago (September 10th, 2012).
I auditioned in June 2012. So far there have been two of us on the show, and the other player is someone I would never have picked. There were at least two or three people who came across as really sharp and personable, though, so I hope they will make it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And as an archivist, it is very handy to get a canonical spelling of the name or town. *You* try spelling "Babu Srinivasan" or "Schenectady" by just hearing it!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

dhkendall wrote:
And as an archivist, it is very handy to get a canonical spelling of the name or town. *You* try spelling "Babu Srinivasan" or "Schenectady" by just hearing it!
Not being able to spell Schenectady correctly in a Spelling category on the Joker's Wild in 1978 is what caused then all time regular game winner Hal Shear($39K, known for having a lucky suit that he often rubbed for good luck) to finally lose.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

dhkendall wrote: And as an archivist, it is very handy to get a canonical spelling of the name or town. *You* try spelling "Babu Srinivasan" or "Schenectady" by just hearing it!
The contestant's name is still written on the screen as (s)he is presenting the Howdy. (I need that too!) ;)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Also, no Howdy for Matt Volk in the first week of the new season. What gives?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

So am I missing it somehow, or did they not post the Howdies for this 2nd week of the season?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is their message board still active?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Is their message board still active?
Not very.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Bamaman wrote:Is their message board still active?
It's not linked on the home page any more.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Lots of worthless uploads to the J! YouTube channel today, but still no Howdies.
Do you guys think it's possible the show's considering posting episodes there, by having a YouTube channel now?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Lots of worthless uploads to the J! YouTube channel today, but still no Howdies.
Do you guys think it's possible the show's considering posting episodes there, by having a YouTube channel now?
It would be cool, but I wouldn't hold my breath. My guess would be that even if they wanted to post them, there might be language in their contracts with some or all affiliates that would either prohibit it or limit it. If they ever got to a point where they were posting each episode, I would guess that it would probably be on a one week delay, if not longer. This would still be a wonderful service, even if you couldn't watch the episodes right away.

It might draw interest from people who don't watch regularly, but when a big winner comes along, like a 6 or 7 day champion, you could go back and watch all their games, just to see how good they really are. Then of course there are friends and family of contestants, who may not have known in advance that someone was going to appear, or if an episode is preempted in certain markets, they would have a legal means of viewing the episode without someone having to go to the trouble of uploading it to some website, or emailing a video file, etc.

Even if they never upload full episodes, there are so many things they could do with a YouTube channel. They could post a video at the end of each week with the 5 FJ clues, including the Think! music, so someone who's been unable to watch could watch a single video, see the reveal of each clue, and have it timed for them to see if they can come up with the right responses.

In addition to the Hometown Howdies and Winners Circle videos, which used to be on the website and may or may not be continued on the YouTube channel, they could compile all the interview segments of any repeat champion, so that, once again, if you hadn't been watching and missed a nice long run, you could go back and "get to know" the player by watching all their interviews at once.

When they run a full category of video clues, filmed on location, such as at an opera, a museum, or some historic site, they could supplement this with a video on the YouTube channel. Maybe something 5 to 10 minutes long that would give more information on the site in question, for those that had their interest piqued by the brief snippets they saw on the video clues. It would be additional free advertising for the places they are promoting, and an easy way for viewers to learn more about something they found interesting. Why send the Clue Crew to some exotic locale just to film 5 10-second videos?

Those are just my immediate thoughts, and I'm sure there are much better ideas that have not yet occurred to me. Here's hoping they use this channel for something other than a permanent memento of intoxicated guest clue readers.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Still no Howdies for Week 2. :-(
Patronaut
One-Day Jeopardy Champ 3/26/2013

Post by Patronaut »

I wish they'd post all the Hometown Howdies and Winner's Circle videos on there. It would cool to be able to have access to those.
"Physics is to mathematics as sex is to masturbation." - Richard Feynman.