Friday, September 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Friday, September 27, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:[What do you think of the "noun(s) verb)s(" setup when exactly one word gets an S? I don't like "noun(s) verb(s)" because that looks like a "neither or both" choice, and I came up with the backwards parentheses thing while writing this post.]
I like it! A way I've seen to represent it is "noun/s verb/s," but that has the same failing you point out for "noun(s) verb(s)."
mbclev
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mbclev »

Austin Powers wrote:Bratislava was nice when I visited. It has a nice little castle and that weird bridge.
It was also where the 1973 World Figure Skating Championships were held, made famous by the music stopping during Irina Rodnina and Aleksander Zaitsev's pairs figure skating routine.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another great game and pretty good board. The new season has gotten off to a very good start.

I joined Neal with the neg on Greely, and I knew that it was Zenger as soon as he was ruled incorrect. I would like to think that I would have lost the buzzer race on that one.

I got the "Kodiak" DD but I never knew that Kodiak was an archipelago. I had thought that it was just one island.

For once I picked the correct response on a 50/50 FJ clue, though I was a little more confident then 50/50, I suppose. I thought that Prague was located more in the middle of the Czech Republic. Jeff brought about a good point about Prague previously being the capital of Czechoslovakia. I have found that clues can sometimes have "hidden TOMs" like that.

Neal, congrats on the run! You showed a very impressive knowledge base up there. And I hope that you and your son can make that trip to South Korea!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Paucle wrote:
seaborgium wrote:[What do you think of the "noun(s) verb)s(" setup when exactly one word gets an S? I don't like "noun(s) verb(s)" because that looks like a "neither or both" choice, and I came up with the backwards parentheses thing while writing this post.]
I like it! A way I've seen to represent it is "noun/s verb/s," but that has the same failing you point out for "noun(s) verb(s)."
Just pick one (plural or singular). Sheesh.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vanya wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Just pick one (plural or singular). Sheesh.
It's not the same as the pointless exercise of keeping a hypothetical person sexless; I wanted to include second- and third-place players in what I was saying. But I did ask for thoughts, so duly noted. I knew you'd disapprove.
Sage on the Hudson

Tales from the Vienna 'Hoods

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Is no one else shocked and disappointed that Dwight Yoakam was a triple-stumper?!
I, for one, was gratified.

Woof wrote:
Johnblue wrote:
I was in Bratislava about 2 1/2 years ago. It was not the most exciting city I've ever been too but the people were much nicer than those in Vienna, a city that truly sucks. Anyway, after 2 consecutive missed FJ's (my first misses of the young season :( ), this was an instaget.
Since I have an abiding love for Vienna, I happen to take exception to that comment, but whatever. I managed to get Bratislava by remembering that it, not Prague, lies on the Danube, which is the border for those countries.
No, Johnblue's right: the Viennese are the snootiest people in Europe. Other Austrians don't like them. They make Parisians look like Dubliners (theirs is a very frendly city).

Only the people in Newark, NJ are worse, without even the architecture or schnitzel to mitigate it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tales from the Vienna 'Hoods

Post by seaborgium »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Is no one else shocked and disappointed that Dwight Yoakam was a triple-stumper?!
Don't talk bad about music you've never listened to. Dwight Yoakam is a couple steps above the schlock you think of when you think of country music.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
Don't talk bad about music you've never listened to. Dwight Yoakam is a couple steps above the schlock you think of when you think of country music.
I am loath to disagree with Stefan, but I am not too sure I would agree on this. Maybe, though, it is because I have always very much liked country music, even that that I make fun of. But when Dwight came along, I couldn't stand him or his music. I have since grown to tolerate it.

But even though I got the response instantly (from the wording of the clue), I would never have recognized him from the picture.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

No, Johnblue's right: the Viennese are the snootiest people in Europe. Other Austrians don't like them. They make Parisians look like Dubliners (theirs is a very frendly city).

Only the people in Newark, NJ are worse, without even the architecture or schnitzel to mitigate it.
Look, I lived in Austria for 3 months when I was 14. The rest of the Austrians view the Viennese as somewhat snooty and aloof, but less so than most French view the Parisians. My time in Vienna (on 3 different occasions) has been nothing but pleasant and the Viennese have been wonderful, too, if among the most cultured people I have encountered in my travels (the average person's knowledge of opera and classical music in Vienna is perhaps unrivaled). Their tradition of the Kaffee-Konditorei is also most civilized. The problem with anecdotal information is that it's not statistically valid. YMMV, as they say.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My compass was flipped for FJ. I thought it was referring to Yugoslavia then tried my darndest to remember ...what Vanya said earlier, the capital with the L. :D Having it not come to me I just threw Zagreb down cause...well...Croatia's almost Slovenia...

But on a positive note, I got my first 30/30 in the J! round! Was getting nervous at the end, as that last category was taking forever to get through.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Volante wrote:But on a positive note, I got my first 30/30 in the J! round
Never an easy task! congrats!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Finally watched this episode today. Considered both Prague and Bratislava for FJ. Started with Prague, but switched to Bratislava.

I thought the wording seemed to imply that something *changed* in 1993, Presumably, if Prague bordered both Austria and Hungary, it would have *also* bordered them before 1993.

I didn't know where in Slovakia Bratislava is, and wasn't totally sure whether it bordered Austria, but thought that a city in Slovakia would be more likely to border Hungary, Hungary being further east.

I didn't realize until after reading the comments here that I've previously read about world capitals on the Danube, which include Bratislava (and some other B cities), and that a major river is likely to be a border between two countries.

Was relieved to pick the right one.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Instaget FJ for me, but geography is a wheelhouse, AND one of my professors was from Bratislava.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Who can forget these guys who claim to have been from Bratislava?

And were they really Czech or Slovak? I briefly considered one of the former Yugoslavian republic capitals, but decided that there was not a single breakup of that country. Also, I knew Prague was near the center of the Czech Republic.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Post by waterloo_guy »

mbclev wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Bratislava was nice when I visited. It has a nice little castle and that weird bridge.
It was also where the 1973 World Figure Skating Championships were held, made famous by the music stopping during Irina Rodnina and Aleksander Zaitsev's pairs figure skating routine.

That's where I first heard of Bratislava. My mother is a big figure skating fan and the name stuck in my mind. And then at some point since the split, I heard that it was the capital of Slovakia. However, even if I had not heard that it was capital, it is the only other Czechoslovakian city that I knew of and by the same logic outlined by others, I figured the clue was asking for the capital of Slovakia and would have likely guessed Bratislava.