Sitting in the Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Sitting in the Audience

Post by seaborgium »

Fleeboy wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Maggie must've been on vacation when Jeff Kirby was in again, she'd recognize him faster than the boardie did. :)
She started working there in the mid-'00s, and so she wasn't there when Jeff was first on circa 1999.
Maggie was working there in December 2000. Not sure when she started, though.
I've just been reacquainting myself with the blog of a champ from 1998, in which he recounts his experiences over eleven installments. (First installment is here, and later installments can be found by altering the URL to a week later and a part higher.) He twice (in parts 6 and 9) mentions a staff member named Maggie taking him to the bathroom, and though he doesn't give her last name, I'm finding it likely it's Ms. Speak. Just mentioning it here to further put myself in my place (which is the place for people who make proclamations on a hunch).
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

I made it to the tapings today, and much to my delight, it was the ToC! I went to both morning and afternoon sessions, meaning I saw all of the quarterfinals. I only wish now that I could do it again tomorrow, to see the whole tournament through. Curses!

And as I told them, the cherry on top of the whipping cream that was my J! day was hanging out with Seaborgium and Jerome V (sorry, I forgot your handle, man!) in the parking lot after the taping. I realised that I have been separated from "my people" all my life!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was planning to, but never did, post in this thread about the benefits of attending tapings before becoming a contestant. I'm glad I didn't, because I got to tell you in person! Nice meeting you, Mr. K.H.!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

How about a teaser on the QF match-ups? No results/spoilers of course. By position order and by day you can code it by number of games won or tourney status like:

8C4
6T5
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

even that much would likely be enough to tell us whether sara heard/buddy wright/etc made the field, which is a spoiler of sorts for the next several weeks of season 28, no?
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

seaborgium wrote:I was planning to, but never did, post in this thread about the benefits of attending tapings before becoming a contestant. I'm glad I didn't, because I got to tell you in person! Nice meeting you, Mr. K.H.!
'Twas my pleasure, Stefan! I hope you eventually got more sustenance than the heavenly Monastery Chocolates that Jerome was pushing!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jpahk wrote:even that much would likely be enough to tell us whether sara heard/buddy wright/etc made the field, which is a spoiler of sorts for the next several weeks of season 28, no?
Yes, that makes sense. I'll be patient and wait.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote:
jpahk wrote:even that much would likely be enough to tell us whether sara heard/buddy wright/etc made the field, which is a spoiler of sorts for the next several weeks of season 28, no?
Yes, that makes sense. I'll be patient and wait.
[MarkBarrett sends a PM to khiddy, and then waits... for a reply]
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Find a sub and catch a late night flight to LA and go watch it in person!!!
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

The one who won who wasn't there

Post by tagNV »

So how did WATSON do in the ToC? Was he upset to be uprooted from his New York home? Was he intimidated by all these superchamps whose games hadn't been entered in his memory yet? Did he freak out on finally seeing a Clue Crew clue or being asked an audio Daily Double?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: The one who won who wasn't there

Post by Woof »

tagNV wrote:So how did WATSON do in the ToC? Was he upset to be uprooted from his New York home? Was he intimidated by all these superchamps whose games hadn't been entered in his memory yet? Did he freak out on finally seeing a Clue Crew clue or being asked an audio Daily Double?

I understand that Watson pulled a Bobby Fischer and refused to participate unless they moved the venue to Yorktown Heights. :D
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woof wrote:
tagNV wrote:So how did WATSON do in the ToC? Was he upset to be uprooted from his New York home? Was he intimidated by all these superchamps whose games hadn't been entered in his memory yet? Did he freak out on finally seeing a Clue Crew clue or being asked an audio Daily Double?

I understand that Watson pulled a Bobby Fischer and refused to participate unless they moved the venue to Yorktown Heights. :D
I thought it was Toronto, USA.
OCSam
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

OrangeSAM wrote:I thought it was Toronto, USA.
Liked it, Centurion, liked it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Now why would Watson be there? Last I heard, they don't invite people who win only two games to be in the TOC, why should machines be different? (Keep in mind, Watson didn't win a "tournament", he won the IBM Challenge)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012