Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6213, 2011-09-28

CONTESTANTS
Libby Nelson, a journalist from Kansas City, Missouri
Sergio Llorian, an attorney from New York, New York
Matt Douma, a standardized test scorer from Minneapolis, Minnesota (whose 2-day cash winnings total $54,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. At the end of yesterday's program, Matt, in conversation with the two opponents he faced in that game, commented that, you know, it helps if you've got a game under your belt, in terms of ringing in, the reflexes. Well, let's see if it's going to help. He's got two games under his belt now, and he faces Libby and Sergio, so good luck to all three. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And our categories--they are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS (2/5)
IF THEY MARRIED (3/5)
TRIPLE THE FUN (5/5)
BLANK VERSE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BEHIND BARS (4/5)
2-LETTER RESPONSES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 9 R, 1 W
Sergio: 7 R, 1 W
Libby: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $2,400
Sergio: $600
Libby: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Libby Nelson is a journalist from Missouri, and each year, when she was younger, my daughter used to go out and sell Girl Scout cookies, and I still buy them. Not from her, though. But you have a connection there that I didn't know about.

Libby: Y--my picture is on the shortbread cookie box. Um, it was--

Alex: I love shortbread cookies!

Libby: It was taken when I was 12, um, and it's still on there, and I actually used to be on the lemon pastry cremes, but they cropped me out when they redesigned it a couple of years ago.

Alex: Okay. Do you get a royalty? Because I know they sell a lot of those cookies each year.

Libby: I wish.

Alex: Yeah. All right.

Alex: Sergio Llorian from New York. A lot of people get calls to be on Jeopardy! when they're at the office or at home, but you were in a rather unique situation when you got our call.

Sergio: Yeah, I actually missed the call because I was plummeting to the earth. I had decided to go, uh, skydiving that day, and soon as I landed, I checked my messages and... there was the call.

Alex: So you were skydiving in Hawaii...

Sergio: Yep. I was skydiving in Hawaii, and, uh, the call came in while I was... midair.

Alex: Do any of the skydiving trips in Hawaii take place over water, where you will land in water, or are they all set up so that you're gonna land on land?

Sergio: I-I mean, I can only speak to the one I did, and I landed on land.

Alex: Okay. It's a good place to land.

Alex: Matt--Matt Douma, our champion, has a Big Ten championship ring, and yet, two days ago, he intimated that he wasn't a very good football player, so how did you get a Big Ten championship ring?

Matt: Well, I'm not, uh, maybe the greatest player, but when I was an undergrad at the University of Michigan, I was a student athletic trainer for the football team for a season. We won the Big Ten and went to the Rose Bowl.

Alex: Still have the ring, huh?

Matt: I do.

Alex: Makes you feel proud. All right.

Matt: It does.

Alex: And you should feel proud of the way you've performed on our show as champ, and you're in command right now, so go again.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Libby found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Matt had $2,400, Sergio had $2,000, and Libby was at $2,200. Libby wagered $1,000.

BLANK VERSE $1000: Thomas Gray:
"The paths of glory lead but to the ____"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $400: As a newsboy on the Grand Trunk Railway in 1862, he "saw the light" & published the first newspaper printed on a train

IF THEY MARRIED $800: The "House of the Spirits" author gets hitched to a circus sibling who bought out Barnum in 1907 & becomes...
(Libby: Who is Isabel Bailey?)

IF THEY MARRIED $1000: "Criminal" singer Fiona weds Steve, author of legal thrillers like "Double Tap", & hyphenates to get this potable name

INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $800: Ann Moore invented this "cozy" baby carrier after seeing women in Togo carry their babies in fabric slings
(Sergio: What is a Snuggie?)

INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $1000: Juan de la Cierva invented this rotary-wing aircraft that taxied for takeoff & was replaced by the helicopter

BEHIND BARS $600: This directional term refers to a nonalcoholic drink placed at the side of the booze in a separate glass
(Libby: What is on the side?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $4,200
Libby: $3,400
Sergio: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DAMN YANKEES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HELLO, DOLLY! (5/5)
KISS ME, KATE (4/5)
AVENUE QUEUE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: And you have to name the city where these streets are found.)
KISMET (5/5)
BROADWAY MUSICALS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 12 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Sergio: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Libby: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sergio snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Matt had $5,400, Sergio had $4,200, and Libby was at $3,400. Sergio wagered $1,000.

AVENUE QUEUE $1600: Hull Street,
Revere Street,
Shawmut Avenue
(Sergio: What is... Lexington?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 9th clue. Matt had $8,200, Sergio had $3,200, and Libby was at $3,400. Matt wagered $2,000.

DAMN YANKEES $1600: By the end of 1862 this newly appointed rear admiral controlled the entire Gulf Coast except for Mobile
(Matt: Um... Who is Nimitz?)
(Alex: No... [chuckles] Nimitz, I guess, is a lot older than we all thought.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AVENUE QUEUE $400: O'Connell Street,
Parnell Street,
Pearse Avenue

DAMN YANKEES $1200: 3 days after graduating from West Point, this future "Boy General" took part in the First Battle of Bull Run

KISS ME, KATE $1600: Kate Walsh (Dr. Addison Montgomery) got to kiss Tim Daly (Dr. Pete Wilder) on this TV drama
(Alex: One of my favorite shows.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sergio: $16,000
Matt: $14,600
Libby: $6,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE CHANGING U.S.A.

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Faith Love.
Sergio: Wager $0, because Matt has reason to only bet to tie, since the bet to keep Libby locked out, $1,400, is identical to the bet that would tie you if Matt is correct.
Matt: Wager $1,400. You'll keep Libby locked out and you may tie Sergio for the win if you respond correctly.
Libby: Wager all $6,600, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first should Sergio miswager and should you be the only one to come up with the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
(Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) According to the Census, this point has progressed westward since the U.S. was founded & has moved southwest since the 1960s

FINAL SCORES
Libby: $6,600 + $6,599 = $13,199 (What is the population center) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $14,600 + $14,600 = $29,200 (What is the center of population?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sergio: $16,000 + $13,201 = $29,201 (What is the population center?) (New champion: $29,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sergio: $17,000, 18 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: $16,600, 21 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Libby: $6,600, 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 22/59 = .373
Sergio: 19/59 = .322
Libby: 11/59 = .186
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS $600: In 1810 England's Peter Durand patented the idea of using this metal to coat cans for food preservation
(Matt: What is zinc?)

HELLO, DOLLY! $800: Not surprisingly, this woman's line of collectible dolls includes Baby Donny Little Bit Rock-n-Roll seen here

KISMET $2000: John Gast's 1872 "American Progress" is an allegorical depiction of "manifest" this

CORRECT RESPONSES
grave
Thomas Edison
Isabel Ringling
Fiona Apple-Martini
a Snugli
the autogiro
a back
Boston
David Farragut
Dublin
George Armstrong Custer
Private Practice
the mean center of population
tin
Marie Osmond
destiny
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Disc(SPOILERS

Post by econgator »

bumping it up top
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Is it normal that I'm nervous? I keep running through my head all the questions I got wrong. I don't seem able to remember anything I got right. And I'm leaving work early to chase a glorious insobriety before I have to watch. At least I like the tie I chose...
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I had the same problem, could only remember the questions I got wrong, and none of the right ones. But I am so excited to watch Serge play today! and Libby and Matt, of course. Knowing the players makes it way better. But Sergio was admittedly my favorite person up there for today's game. :)
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Aww, right back at ya, Suze. We did have a good time, didn't we?
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Well, you were present when I had the best French Dip of my life. So that's pretty special. I still owe you a drink at the bar. Next time I'm in NYC, I'll get you drunk, Ren Faire style.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Easy day. Maybe a little too easy? Swept Invent, Blank and 2-Letter, got 4s in the rest, 27/30 total. Not so impressive but common DJ, 24/30 with a sweep of Avenue Queue, (but of course that's up my alley.) Final Jeopardy, I went center of population, was unsure, happy I did. It seemed pretty obvious. My dad went with population only.

As for the show at hand. Damn well done by Sergio in Double Jeopardy, like Libby did on the Jeopardy round. Hard to see Matt go, but that's no surprise.
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Well, congrats to Serge! That was a well-played game.
Roadgeek Adam wrote:a sweep of Avenue Queue, (but of course that's up my early.)
Up your early? Is that an inside joke? I found that one easy, too, except for the $400 clue. Sure, O'Connell sounds Irish, but the other two added nothing, so seems to me it could have been any city in the world.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

econgator wrote:Well, congrats to Serge! That was a well-played game.
Roadgeek Adam wrote:a sweep of Avenue Queue, (but of course that's up my early.)
Up your early? Is that an inside joke? I found that one easy, too, except for the $400 clue. Sure, O'Connell sounds Irish, but the other two added nothing, so seems to me it could have been any city in the world.
Fail on my end. A lot of it seemed one or two just gave it away. (Detroit had 2 obvious ones, Boston almost could confuse for Philly or Pittsburgh due to Shawmut)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Suze wrote:I had the same problem, could only remember the questions I got wrong, and none of the right ones. But I am so excited to watch Serge play today! and Libby and Matt, of course. Knowing the players makes it way better. But Sergio was admittedly my favorite person up there for today's game. :)
I came home remembering about three answers, but I couldn't have said if they were part of an actual game or rehearsal. Except the FJ's, one of which still makes me cringe with embarrassment.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations, Sergio! Well played, and enjoy reliving the fun!

That was a ridiculously easy FJ, though.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The Changing U.S.A.
According to the census, this point has progressed westward since the U.S. was founded & has moved southwest since the 1960s. (Graphic accompanying clue shows a point moving from around Maryland in 1790 through West Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and near central Missouri in 2010
Spoiler
What is the center of population? (Two contestants said population center, not sure exactly what wording they wanted, but they accepted both.)
Sergio Llorian: $16,000+$13,201=$29,201...now a 1 day champion with $29,201
Matt Douma: $14,600+$14,600=$29,200
Libby Nelson: $6,600+$6,599=$13,199

I believe that this was the exact Faith Love scenario that we discussed the other day. If Matt had wanted to maximize his chances of winning, rather than just maximize his winnings, his ideal wager would have been $1,400, which would have at worst tied him with Libby at $13,200. Had Sergio foreseen this possibility, he could have bet $0 and hoped for either a win on a miss by Matt or a tie with Matt at $16,000 if Matt got it right and bet $1,400. I believe the "Faith Love" name given to it is not just because of the player it was named for, but also because the leader must have "faith" that the 2nd place player recognizes their position and makes the bet for the tie. Fortunately for Sergio, he made the standard shutout wager and won by a dollar, since Matt made the completely senseless wager of all his money, completely eliminating his chances of winning on a double or triple stumper.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Libby didn't see the situation, either, or else she would have gone all in herself. A non descript FJ category always worries me, but this was an instaget.

I'll bet a certain boardie is glad knowing who played Marcia Brady made the difference in the game.

Congrats to Serge. You played a good game against two strong players and came out on top. Retro good luck as you defend tomorrow.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought the $400 clue was way undervalued. I almost clicked my pen for Boston due to the Irish sounding street name. Got a chuckle when Boston came up later. The others were pretty simple to me. johnessburg was a bit of a guess, but felt safe with it.
jbillygirl
Valued Contributor

Post by jbillygirl »

Nicely done, Serge! You were strong the whole game and really pulled it out at the end, despite some very deep competition. Can't wait to see you on TV again tomorrow night!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What's the male winning percentage this season? The legend must be dying so far this season. After the interviews I was rooting for Libby thanks to her Trefoil story as the shortbreads are my second favorite. Who can find a good shot of the back of the box? My supply is gone a couple of weeks after purchase.

As Bamaman knows, Brady trumps cookies and I had to root for Sergio for being in first on the Marcia clue. Matt had a good game, but Nimitz? Even Alex could not contain a laugh on that guess for the DD that cost Matt the game.

It was another Jekyll and Hyde game for me with 14 & 26. I didn't get Dublin, the Boston DD, blanked on the full Mormon play title, and Hepburn to close out the Kates. What were the Avenues on the Boston one? Something had me guess Chicago, but I can't remember now what caused that. Sergio bet low on that one and survived where a larger bet could have done him in.

For the FJ clue I went with Population Center. That was nice to get confirmation it was acceptable. I was afraid the clue was going to be some recent state shift where I had to recall some Think Differently question from months ago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

One of the places in Boston was Revere, which is what gave it to me.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

legendneverdies wrote:Was this the first time a Clue Crewer read the FJ! clue? I think it was.
Nope, it's happened at least twice before, on 10/19/05 and 5/15/07.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

One of the other street names was Parnell. I surmised that it might be named after Charles Stewart Parnell, the 19th century Irish nationalist. So I guessed Dublin... but then thought, no, that's way too obscure for a $400 clue and changed my guess to London. No way I'd have rung in if I'd actually been playing.