Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 Game Recap & Disc(SPOILERS

Post by opusthepenguin »

Suze wrote:Well, you were present when I had the best French Dip of my life. So that's pretty special. I still owe you a drink at the bar. Next time I'm in NYC, I'll get you drunk, Ren Faire style.
Where was this French Dip, if I may ask?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Great game, Sergio! Trivially easy FJ to me, but great game nonetheless. Retroactive good luck tomorrow.

p.s. Has anyone mentioned Slam's Rule? ;)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:Sure, O'Connell sounds Irish, but the other two added nothing, so seems to me it could have been any city in the world.
Plus, I don't think it was clarified that it was world, as opposed to just US, cities. (And of course even if by some miracle you got to Ireland from the O'Connell part, what's to stop you from saying Belfast? Or Cork? Or Derry/Londonderry?)

(The whole category reminds me of a skit I saw from a comedy troupe, doing a parody of $100,000 Pyramid. The "give"r gave clues like "Third. Third. Fourth. Main. Main." After a few seconds, the "receive"r comes out with the correct answer: "Streets in Reykjavik, Iceland!")
Bamaman wrote:johnessburg was a bit of a guess, but felt safe with it.
Went with Pretoria, as I figured a capital city was more logical. :oops:
cheezguyty wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:Was this the first time a Clue Crewer read the FJ! clue? I think it was.
Nope, it's happened at least twice before, on 10/19/05
Thanks for bringing that one to my attention / reminding me of it. Reading Alex's comments before the first FJ reveal of answers in the Archive entry for that game, I have to say:
Spoiler
CANADA DOESN'T HAVE ZIP CODES! THAT'S AN AMERICAN THING! WE HAVE POSTAL CODES! POSTAL CODES!
There. Glad I got that off my chest.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

Anybody else think that DJ! was easier than the Jeopardy! round?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Quite a game, with the back and forth lead changes in the last category.

And for the first time on this board, I get to say that FJ will do very high in the weekly poll.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote:One of the places in Boston was Revere, which is what gave it to me.
I didn't initially notice Revere, but "recognized" Shawmut from the original name of (what I like to call) the Toronto Dominion Garden, so I thought of Boston based on that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:Went with Pretoria, as I figured a capital city was more logical. :oops:
Going with the capital city for South Africa doesn't narrow it down very much.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

MarkBarrett wrote:What's the male winning percentage this season?
100%. justin x4, amit x1, matt x2, sergio x1 (so far). two of the remaining four challengers this week are women.

speaking of which, i'm relatively new to these things, so i don't know: is it normal that the promotional video this week on jeopardy from jeopardy.com has spoilers for the outcome of at least one of this week's games, if you look at it closely? (i advise most of you not to look at it closely, but suze and serge will know what i'm talking about, i think—it's a shot where you can see who is standing at which podium for a game that hasn't aired yet.)

i think the $400 clue pointed pretty clearly to dublin in large part because it was the $400 clue. you see parnell and o'whatever, and it's supposed to be easy, so don't overthink it. irish = dublin. as for south africa, jo'burg is by far the largest city. if asked to name a south african city, it would certainly be my default choice despite not being one of the capitals. i didn't think the boston one was very tough, but i admit it's easier if you live in boston. :)

this was a gripping game. congrats to sergio for pulling out a nailbiter. at the hotel bar later that night he was going on and on about the book of mormon... good times.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Congrats to Serge for victory #1. Here's hoping for multiple wins.

FJ! was another instaget. My wife, who works for the Census Bureau, knew it right away also.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

jpahk wrote:speaking of which, i'm relatively new to these things, so i don't know: is it normal that the promotional video this week on jeopardy from jeopardy.com has spoilers for the outcome of at least one of this week's games, if you look at it closely? (i advise most of you not to look at it closely, but suze and serge will know what i'm talking about, i think—it's a shot where you can see who is standing at which podium for a game that hasn't aired yet.)

i think the $400 clue pointed pretty clearly to dublin in large part because it was the $400 clue. you see parnell and o'whatever, and it's supposed to be easy, so don't overthink it. irish = dublin. as for south africa, jo'burg is by far the largest city. if asked to name a south african city, it would certainly be my default choice despite not being one of the capitals. i didn't think the boston one was very tough, but i admit it's easier if you live in boston. :)

this was a gripping game. congrats to sergio for pulling out a nailbiter. at the hotel bar later that night he was going on and on about the book of mormon... good times.
But Sergio was on to the Revere TOM by saying Lexington(I don't think he meant Kentucky). Alex made a nice little comment about Nimitz being guessed on the Civil War(Damn Yankees)/Farragut DD. Alex also said "you did what you had to do" when a player goes all in from second place, not remembering wagering strategy :) And as for the Jeopardy.com 20 second promo you describe, yeah you can usually glean the outcome of at least one game that week, if not two, and maybe occasionally three, from what I've seen. I've seen one or both of my local stations that air J! air said promo before.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I believe Sergio explained later at the bar that he overthought the Boston clue. Boston seemed too obvious, so he chose something else.

And yes, there are a couple games spoiled in the weekly video on the Jeopardy This Week page. That happens all the time, unfortunately. It's why I never watch them until I've seen all the games.

Oh, and the French Dip was at a place in the Farmer's Market. Expensive but so worth it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hull St., Revere St., Shawmut Ave. - What made me guess Chicago was the first one as I took that to be associated with Hull House. What I needed to do was think of Bobby Hull and mix him up with Bobby Orr. Shawmut was unknown to me and I don't even remember seeing Revere St., so I must have only read first and last.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Went with Pretoria, as I figured a capital city was more logical. :oops:
Going with the capital city for South Africa doesn't narrow it down very much.
Hey, 1 out of 3! Better odds than you'll get on most J! questions!
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Thanks for the well-wishes, all. So here are my thoughts:

I did think overall the boards were certainly not the toughest of the week. For the most part, it was all a race to the buzzer. I found J round to be easy, and I knew almost all of them. My confidence was low entering DJ in 3rd place, since I thought I'd have fared better with all the clues I had known.

I'm a big fan of musicals. Living in NYC, I usually go to a few Broadway shows a month. When those categories came up, my confidence resurged. That Boston DD... I read the clue and thought, "It must be Boston. It MUST be Boston, but that seems too obvious for this value..." Sure enough, at the commercial break, Maggie came over and said, "You overthought it, didn't you?" Yep, Maggie, I suuuuuuure did. Strange strategy to keep the Musicals category to last, and I have no clue why I did it, but I guess it worked out since it allowed me to finish strong.

The thing about the FJ... We were told it was a video FJ, but the video didn't work when we taped. We only got the words. They must've edited that in after. Also, I believe Alex read it, not clue crew. When I saw it last night, it was much easier for sure. Without the visual, I must say at first I didn't fully understand the clue. I was pretty lucky to have made sense of it in time to write the answer. Also, I was debating whether to bet $0 or to bet to cover Matt's double-up. I almost went with $0, but then figured, "Meh, win big or lose big--I'd rather keep the outcome in my hands." That was a lesson learned from an outing on Millionaire, when I went against my instincts and with the audience (a regret I no longer have as of yesterday).

It was a really fun time (particularly the drinks at the bar after!).
legendneverdies

Sergio won $5K on WWTBAM on the 5/14/2010 episode when he went to the audience to ask them on a level two question (last season with the hot seat and completing level one was worth $5K) what 80s song is heard during the opening credits of NBC's Sunday Night Football. The audience went with Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield, and Sergio went with that. THe correct answer was I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

serge, you were great. i have sympathy for your overthinking boston—but as i say, it's easier if you actually live here and know where those streets are.

that's crazy about the FJ video not showing—from where i was sitting in the studio, it came up fine on the big monitor at the right of the stage. but i guess not on the one you guys were looking at? yikes.

good to know about the weekly promo videos. i'll watch next week's for sure :) ... but then maybe i'll stop.
legendneverdies

jpahk wrote:serge, you were great. i have sympathy for your overthinking boston—but as i say, it's easier if you actually live here and know where those streets are.

that's crazy about the FJ video not showing—from where i was sitting in the studio, it came up fine on the big monitor at the right of the stage. but i guess not on the one you guys were looking at? yikes.

good to know about the weekly promo videos. i'll watch next week's for sure :) ... but then maybe i'll stop.
Even crazier was them feeling to have the CLue Crew read FInal J! and use a video that probably wasn't needed to answer the clue. Not too crazy about the sponsor thing after FJ!, but WOF has sponsored the Jackpot! round since May 1997 so it makes sense these days.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

For FJ, I knew what they were looking but didn't know the phrase "population center" and/or "center of population", so I went with "the average location of US citizens"... Judges? (I don't know if I would have had the time and space to actually write it down, but that's another topic!)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I'm wondering if Grey's Anatomy is an acceptable response for the Private Practice clue.
Kate Walsh (Dr. Addison Montgomery) got to kiss Tim Daly (Dr. Pete Wilder) on this TV drama
According to Wikipedia, an episode of Anatomy titled "The Other Side of This Life" served as a pilot for Practice, a spin-off. Both Kate Walsh and Tim Daly appeared in the episode as the aforementioned characters, and the article's plot summary mentions that:
Pete finds Addison crying in the stairwell and she blurts out all her troubles, including that she's barren and "dried up." He tells her he's going to kiss her and she says "Okay."
What say ye all?

ETA: It's been over a week and still no responses. :( FWIW, I decided to mark it correct.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

ETA: I am a moron. Please ignore me. :oops:
Last edited by tagNV on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.