Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, September 29, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS

Post by Bamaman »

The wording of the trig related clues would not have made sense if they had started at the bottom of the column.

Another super easy FJ. The word Asian threw me for a second because Vietnam isn't the first country that comes to mind when I hear Asia, but the year and the fact the answer referenced bombing made it easy to nail down.

Congrats to Serge for making the show and winning a game.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bud, Not Buddy and Bambi's subtitle were unknown to me. I would have been burned betting big on the "B"OOKS Daily Double. Chris was fortunate to only lose 4000.

Sergio and Lindsy had no chance to win the game. Chris was way too good as he put on a sit up and notice debut. Buzzer, knowledge, betting bravery, and cool demeanor have me thinking this performace easily surpasses what happened on Tuesday.

At first I was thrown by the FJ clue as I was thinking he was just used the other night. What I quickly figured out was that the material I was remembering was on Millionaire with Meredith. The clue had to cry uncle as I locked in the solve.

Speaking of Millionaire, there is a former J! player continuing tomorrow: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=1666
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

laubla999 wrote:Yep! A 30 minutes show (well, really, only 22?) over more than one hour.

You have two guesses on what was used to fill up the rest of the hour, and the first one doesn't count.
Well, the Conservatives constantly talk about cutting funding to the CBC, they need to raise money *somehow* ...
SkoolRN wrote:That category brought back an old cheer from my husband's engineering school that ended with:
"Secant, tangent, cosine, sine. 3.14159."
I cannot get this out of my head now.
Fixed.

And, while I never went to an engineering school, I love the complete geekiness of this. :)
Bamaman wrote:The wording of the trig related clues would not have made sense if they had started at the bottom of the column.
Something tells me they may have had an alternate wording in that situation (especially since the clues are revealed by computer instead of cards like the early days). We have no way of confirming this, of course, but I got a hunch ...

So, anyone yet tried to figure out who Chris' students that had been on the show were?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

dhkendall wrote:
laubla999 wrote:Yep! A 30 minutes show (well, really, only 22?) over more than one hour.

You have two guesses on what was used to fill up the rest of the hour, and the first one doesn't count.
Well, the Conservatives constantly talk about cutting funding to the CBC, they need to raise money *somehow* ...
I thought there was a limit to how much ads there can be in a program, but it seems not, according to the CRTC ;-(
I don't remember this rule changing...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Another super easy FJ. The word Asian threw me for a second because Vietnam isn't the first country that comes to mind when I hear Asia, but the year and the fact the answer referenced bombing made it easy to nail down.
It was possible to overthink FJ, as I briefly detoured through the Middle East, thinking of the Six Days War and whether that could have been a Nasser quote, but I quickly righted the ship and proceeded to Vietnam. My only cause for concern was whether Ho Chi Minh was still alive in '67 (he died in '69).
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Another super easy FJ. The word Asian threw me for a second because Vietnam isn't the first country that comes to mind when I hear Asia, but the year and the fact the answer referenced bombing made it easy to nail down.
It was possible to overthink FJ, as I briefly detoured through the Middle East, thinking of the Six Days War and whether that could have been a Nasser quote, but I quickly righted the ship and proceeded to Vietnam. My only cause for concern was whether Ho Chi Minh was still alive in '67 (he died in '69).
I took the same detour through the Middle East, and Arafat was really the only name that I could pinpoint as a possible answer, but I wasn't sure if he was a major figure in that time period or not. Nasser wouldn't fit since the clue specified "Asian leader", and Egypt is in Africa.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Am I the only one that caught this - the Taoism/Daoism clue talks about the T'ang dynasty in the 5th and 6th centuries. The Tang/T'ang doesn't begin until the year 618. There is no 5th or 6th century Tang so far as I know.

Does anyone have different information?
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

I was surprised that they finished the board. Could Chris have been any slower picking categories?

Last season, we had an epidemic of clue-skipping contestants. (They even put a Daily Double in the first row once to try to discourage that.) Chris is the first one we've had this season.

And why was Sarah whispering? Was there something she didn't want the polar bears to know?

Tune in to the next exciting chapter . . .
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

joepozz wrote:And why was Sarah whispering? Was there something she didn't want the polar bears to know?
Probably that she was tasty and made of meat.

I'd take every precaution around thousand-pound carnivores too if I were her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I think she saw a ptarmigan sleeping and didn't want to wake it.

Or the not being eaten theory is good too.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Let me add my condolences for your loss, Serge. Chris was quite the buzzing machine - I didn't realize how good he was until toward the end when I realized that he had reached the $30,000 mark.

FJ! was another instaget, making me 4 for 4 this week (and saying this assures that I'll bomb on today's).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

chris put up a ridiculously impressive performance. he's also the world's nicest guy, as far as i can tell. i happened to sit next to him on the bus from the hotel that morning and i got to know him better than any of the other contestants in that group. they were all charming, of course, but i was rooting especially hard for him to do well. still, i was pretty stunned at how dominant he ended up being even with the -$4k on bambi. that was unlucky, since it was only the $1200 clue and he knew literally every other "b"ook in the category. but he shrugged it off and went right back to dominating.

i kind of wish he'd picked the categories a little faster, but i don't mind his actual choices. he's not really a jumper; he just seems to have a habit of leaving the lowest dollar figure on the board and going for the second one. makes a certain amount of sense considering how infrequently a DD shows up in the top row.
Last edited by jpahk on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

JyV92 wrote:... There is no 5th or 6th century Tang so far as I know.

Erich von Daniken on line 2, Mr. Vered...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jeff6286 wrote:
Woof wrote:
I took the same detour through the Middle East, and Arafat was really the only name that I could pinpoint as a possible answer, but I wasn't sure if he was a major figure in that time period or not. Nasser wouldn't fit since the clue specified "Asian leader", and Egypt is in Africa.
I'm so delighted that SOMEONE else thought of someone besides Ho Chi Minh.

For some reason I recalled that most definitions of "Asia" (including J!'s) include the middle east, and there was some bombing going on in the reason at about that time. My first thought was the 6 Days War, and my mind never made it to Viet Nam, even though at the time period named in the clue, I was a prime candidate to be "requested" to go over there and deliver some of the aforementioned bombs to Uncle Ho.

Geez, repression is a wonderful thing some times.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

jeff6286 wrote:
Woof wrote:
I'm so delighted that SOMEONE else thought of someone besides Ho Chi Minh.

For some reason I recalled that most definitions of "Asia" (including J!'s) include the middle east, and there was some bombing going on in the reason at about that time. My first thought was the 6 Days War, and my mind never made it to Viet Nam, even though at the time period named in the clue, I was a prime candidate to be "requested" to go over there and deliver some of the aforementioned bombs to Uncle Ho.

Geez, repression is a wonderful thing some times.
Serge
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Serge »

Thanks for the kind words. Some thoughts:

- We had discussed after, and Lindsy and I knew we were beaten pretty early on. Chris had an impressive hand at the buzzer, plus the categories suited him best (For example, Blues--I went 0/5, without even trying to buzz in against Chris and his reflexes!). The Thursday boards were the toughest ones for me.
- Thanks for the sympathetic words. All good, though. I had my one victory, and I was a little relieved to move on (I have a pretty severe fear of public speaking. It's why all of my responses actually did sound like questions--with the nerves, I couldn't be sure my brain was ever actually working properly!). I had thought it might be tough to watch last night, knowing the result, but I actually enjoyed it very much. No shame in losing to someone playing out of his head like that--what an impressive game!
- For me, there's something about FJ, perhaps the slow timing of it compared to the rest of the game, that makes it challenging. Though I got them both right, I must confess it took me some time to focus and understand the clue both times. I was certain I had gotten it wrong both times! Funny, but before I had appeared on the show, there were so many times I couldn't understand when contestants would get things wrong and miss easy ones. Now I know how big a role nerves play in the competition.
- Chris is a really likeable guy, and a good champion to root for. He's up against Rob and Donna tonight, and they're both immensely likeable, too. Easy to root for the whole group.

Enjoy the end of a fun week! What a fun ride!
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

My mind took 20th century Asian leader and latched onto Mao and wouldn't let go. I couldn't quite understand the bombing part of the clue, and that got me thinking of India & Pakistan and their nuclear issues, and I just totally forgot about Southeast Asia. Once I realized the area they were talking about (from whatever Alex said before the reveal) I got Ho Chi Minh right away, just couldn't get to that part of the continent any earlier.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
JyV92 wrote:... There is no 5th or 6th century Tang so far as I know.

Erich von Daniken on line 2, Mr. Vered...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Too funny. In any case, good game.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

dhkendall wrote:

SkoolRN wrote:That category brought back an old cheer from my husband's engineering school that ended with:
"Secant, tangent, cosine, sine. 3.14159."
I cannot get this out of my head now.
Fixed.

And, while I never went to an engineering school, I love the complete geekiness of this. :)
And bless their pocket-protected, slide rule carryig little hearts.
Bamaman wrote:The wording of the trig related clues would not have made sense if they had started at the bottom of the column.
Something tells me they may have had an alternate wording in that situation (especially since the clues are revealed by computer instead of cards like the early days). We have no way of confirming this, of course, but I got a hunch ...

So, anyone yet tried to figure out who Chris' students that had been on the show were?
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
jbillygirl
Valued Contributor

Post by jbillygirl »

Wow, that guy Chris is crazy good. He sure looks like serious TOC material. I'm glad I didn't have to go up against him.

Congrats, Serge, on becoming a Jeopardy champion. Regardless of last night's results, no one can take that away from you.