Monday, October 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6691, 2013-10-21

CONTESTANTS
Bill Tolany, a marketing executive from Austin, Texas
Sharon Warner, a retired teacher and writer from Chicago, Illinois
Nolan Martch, a construction foreman from Homewood, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $2,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny. Thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. For you, the folks at home who are watching right now, big doings starting one week from today as we start giving away the first of several fascinating expeditions in honor of our 30 years of Jeopardy! on the air. And big doings today, of course, for Bill and Sharon, the challengers, and our champion, Nolan, as they try to win more than the $2,000 he picked up on Friday. That was an anomaly. Our champions win a lot more money, and I hope you three do today. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Good luck to you with these categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INTO THIN AIR (4/5)
BEERS TO YOU! (5/5)
ALSO A ZODIAC SIGN (4/5)
INSIDE EDITION 25th ANNIVERSARY (5/5)
WELL, I'M WARM-BLOODED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHECK IT & SEE (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nolan: 13 R, 2 W
Bill: 8 R, 0 W
Sharon: 4 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharon found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Nolan had no money, Sharon had $200, and Bill was at $3,200. Sharon wagered $1,000.

WELL, I'M WARM-BLOODED $400: This porcupine-like mammal doesn't turn into a ball to roll quickly & gain video game points, but it does eat snakes & birds

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bill: $3,200
Sharon: $2,200
Nolan: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Halloween is coming up, and Bill Tolany from Austin, Texas, had a Halloween experience at the office. Tell the folks about that.

Bill: I did. It's a casual office, and so I, uh--I came in to work in my normal outfit. I hadn't dressed up for Halloween. I was wearing a shirt and shorts and looked around, and everybody else was wearing a shirt and shorts. And they had come as me for Halloween.

[Laughter]

Alex: Did that go over well?

Bill: It did. I took it as flattery, where I suppose that could be taken another way.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Sharon Warner is a retired teacher and writer who has done something that very few people have done, particularly in this audience today. You have won a Clio Award?

Sharon: Yes, I have.

Alex: Tell the folks what that is.

Sharon: Clio is like the Academy Award of advertising. More people know that now since they've watched Mad Men.

Alex: Mad Men, yes.

Sharon: Yeah. Yeah, and, uh, the--the Clio that I won was for a, uh, a book, uh, that, uh, Standard Oil was promoting about black history.

Alex: Okay, good for you. Congratulations.

Alex: Nolan Martch is our champion. He is from Illinois. And he did something about three years ago that a lot of us would be envious of. You took time off in order to do what?

Nolan: Uh, travel across the country. Uh, I actually quit my job, uh, and decided just to get away for a couple months.

Alex: Wait a minute. You quit your job, or you were let go?

Nolan: We're gonna say "quit my job".

Alex: Okay. Good response.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALSO A ZODIAC SIGN $200: Ford has an SEL model of it
(Nolan: What's a Mercury?)

INTO THIN AIR $400: Joshua Slocum, the first man to sail around the world this way, later disappeared en route to the West Indies in 1909
(Nolan: What is eastward?)

CHECK IT & SEE $600: As a cloth is wrung out in space, check the results of this property that makes water act like a stretched membrane
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nolan: $6,600
Bill: $5,400
Sharon: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 21, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MILITARY NICKNAMES (4/5)
TOUGH STUPID ANSWERS (1/2)
1990s HITMAKERS (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BOOKS ABOUT WOMEN (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE 13 COLONIES (3/5)
"DI" NO Y (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nolan: 5 R, 3 W
Sharon: 1 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sharon snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Nolan had $6,600, Sharon had $3,000, and Bill was at $5,400. Sharon wagered $2,000.

BOOKS ABOUT WOMEN $1200: After this book was released in 1997, Mineko Iwasaki, on whom it was based, sued for defamation
(Sharon: Oh, dear. Uh... Ooh.)
(Alex: Say something.)
(Sharon: Um, what was the, uh... The Con--)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bill who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Nolan had $11,400, Sharon was in the red with -$200, and Bill was at $14,600. Bill wagered $6,000.

1990s HITMAKERS $1200: In 1998 Aerosmith had its first No. 1 single with this hit that begins, "I could stay awake just to hear you breathing"
(Bill: What is "Crazy"?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOKS ABOUT WOMEN $800: Daphne du Maurier remembered her original idea for this book as "A beautiful home... a first wife... jealousy..."

MILITARY NICKNAMES $2000: This Confederate general was known as "Old Jube"

THE 13 COLONIES $1200: In 1665 New Haven colony merged with this colony
(Bill: What is Plymouth?)
(Sharon: Um... What's, uh... uh...)

THE 13 COLONIES $2000: The original deed granted to Carteret & Berkeley for this colony called it Nova Caesarea

TOUGH STUPID ANSWERS $1600: It's absurd, but I'll get irrational if you don't know that a surd is one of these numbers
(Nolan: What is a rational number?)

"DI" NO Y $1200: It's what A.M. stands for (it ends with "M", by the way)
(Nolan: What is anti meridiem?)
[Initially ruled correct; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

BOOKS ABOUT WOMEN $2000: Marjane Satrapi's heroine in this graphic novel has to deal with the overthrow of the shah

1990s HITMAKERS $800: This 1995 Seal hit appeared on the "Batman Forever" soundtrack & won 3 Grammy Awards
(Nolan: What is "Touched By A Rose"?)
(Sharon: What is "Kissed By A Rose"?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bill: $10,600
Nolan: $7,800
Sharon: $1,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Before we get to our Final Jeopardy! clue, upon further reflection, our judges have decided that they should not have accepted Nolan's response of "anti"--A-N-T-I--instead of "ante"--A-N-T-E--"meridiem" a few moments ago, so they have made a deduction from his score. The scores, as you see them now, are correct. AFI's 100 FUNNIEST FILMS is the topic for Final, and this is the clue...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFI's 100 FUNNIEST FILMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Bill: Wager $5,001 to cover Nolan, but no more than $8,599 so as not to fall behind Sharon's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $3,001.
Nolan: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Bill wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sharon: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 films were No. 1 & No. 2 on the AFI's list of funniest American films; both involve cross-dressing

FINAL SCORES
Sharon: $1,000 + $1,000 = $2,000 (What are Some Like It Hot and Tootsie?) (3rd place)
Nolan: $7,800 - $5,600 = $2,200 (What is Tootsie + Mrs. Doubft Doubtfire) (2nd place)
Bill: $10,600 + $5,100 = $15,700 (What is "Some Like It Hot" & "Tootsie") (New champion: $15,700)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bill: $16,600, 18 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Nolan: $7,800, 18 R, 5 W
Sharon: $2,400, 5 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $26,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Bill: 19/59 = .322
Nolan: 18/58 = .310
Sharon: 6/60 = .100
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BEERS TO YOU! $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Sydney, Australia.) American visitors to Australia have a great heritage: in 1886, two New York City brothers with this name arrived, built a brewery & went home, but they've been quenching Aussie thirsts ever since

ALSO A ZODIAC SIGN $1000: Neil Armstrong & David Scott are in this craft, seen here in 1966

INSIDE EDITION 25th ANNIVERSARY $600: Defeated after a run for mayor of NYC, he became an "I.E." contributor in 1990; 4 years later, he got the mayor gig
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go.)

CHECK IT & SEE $200: This hairstyle used to have
serious buzz

CHECK IT & SEE $400: During the recount
of his 2008 senate race, he led a chant,
"What do we want?"
"Patience!"
"When do we want it?"
"Now!"

"DI" NO Y $2000: They're the paired items
seen here
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a hedgehog
Taurus
alone (or solo)
surface tension
Memoirs of a Geisha
"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing"
Rebecca
Jubal Early
Connecticut
New Jersey
an irrational number
ante meridiem
Persepolis
"Kiss From A Rose"
Tootsie & Some Like it Hot
Foster's
Gemini
Guiliani
a beehive
Al Franken
andirons
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

AFI's 100 Funniest Films
These 2 films were no. 1 & no. 2 on the AFI's list of funniest American films; both involve cross-dressing.

Spoiler
What are Some Like it Hot and Tootsie? Nolan said Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire.

Bill Tolany: $10,600+$5,100=$15,700...now a 1-day champion with $15,700
Nolan Martch: $7,800-$5,600=$2,200
Sharon Warner: $1,000+$1,000=$2,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

The reversal on the ante meridiem ruling actually probably ended up costing Bill Tolany a winning total that would have crossed the $20,000 mark. Nolan Martch won as much today for his second-place finish as he won yesterday becoming the new champion, an unusual occurrence I can't recall having ever seen happen in quite that way.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A clue in today's rerun game mentioned Mrs. Doubtfire.

I considered that movie, but went with the right ones in the end.

I hope Sarah was not pregnant when she drank that beer.

Just because you are a woman author, does not mean you will be an expert in women authors. Pick something else. And do it faster.

Tough stupid answers seemed like fun. Wish they'd finished it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Okay...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I hope Sarah was not pregnant when she drank that beer.
They shouldn't have accepted Bill's response. The clue asked for "this last name" and Bill said, "What is Fosters?" The brothers' last name is Foster. If he had said, "Who are the Fosters?", that'd be OK.

Instaget FJ, which is thankful after my slaughter in DJ. I think I was 0-fer two categories (Women Authors and 90's Hits).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised at the TS on Taurus.

I honestly had no idea what color sparrows are, so that cost me the run in Warm-Blooded. Also missed only Molson in Beers, but was happy to see a clue on Killian's, which I enjoy.

"Sail around the world this way". I honestly would've made about 40 billion guesses before getting to "solo".

The 9001st 50/50 fails me, as I say Kerrigan instead of Harding.

====

"Tough Stupid Answers" had me thinking that they would all be like $2000 and conceal the answer better (To Go/Togo, which I didn't even pick up on until after rewinding), hence my clam on "irrational". Probably why the contestants whiffed it too.

13 Colonies should've been a run, but PA = Quaker totally evaporated, and I was racking my brains for a "New" state that would've been a colony and coming up blank. I didn't even go with the obvious neg of New York. Derp.

The DD was my only get in 1990s Hitmakers, since I remember Mark Chesnutt's very out-of-character cover of it. I misread $1600 and totally blew past "Rob Thomas", whom I know is a member of Matchbox 20, so I thought they were asking for "Push It" by Salt-N-Pepa. I knew the Seal song had "Kiss" and "Rose" from it, but clammed since I wan't sure on the rest of the title.

====

I know literally nothing about Some Like It Hot other than that it's a movie, and Tootsie never came to mind at all. I had nothing.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

After my sub-par performance last week, I was pleased to start this week on a good note.

I thought I would run the beer category, but I couldn't come up with the $1000 response in time. Ran "Also a Zodiac Sign" and the women authors category. Also went 4/4 in the 90s hitmakers category, which made me feel better about my pop music knowledge after missing that notorious FJ from last week.

I didn't actually "know" De Gaulle at $1200 in Military Nicknames, but I just figured: a very tall Frenchman of around the right generation. I know almost no details about his career, but I went for it anyway.

During the pre-FJ commercial break, I tried to think of movies that were likely to be on the list. As it happens, "Some Like It Hot" was one of the very first ones I considered. It's entirely possible, and even probable, that I've seen that AFI funniest films list before, even though I don't have it memorized or anything. Maybe my subconscious "knew" it was on there.

It took me another second or two to come up with a good candidate for the other film, but Tootsie was the first one I thought of. However, I maintain that there's an element of "luck" there. If Mrs. Doubtfire had happened to pop into my head first, I might have gone with that one. It doesn't seem inconceivable that a family-friendly Robin Williams movie would rank highly on that list, although a slightly older movie would perhaps make more sense.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
They shouldn't have accepted Bill's response. The clue asked for "this last name" and Bill said, "What is Fosters?" The brothers' last name is Foster. If he had said, "Who are the Fosters?", that'd be OK.
I agree. However, seeing as how the clue took so long to read, Alex and the judges had probably forgotten what they were going for.

I didn't get Taurus in the Zodiac category because I didn't remember the category and also didn't quite grasp the Leo clue.

The state between the Carolinas and Georgia was a fourth row clue?

BTW, Mrs. Doubtfire was #67 on the list.

I had the same thought process on DeGaulle that skillturf had. Precalled Blood and Guts on that one.

According to that great source Wikipedia, the story about Judge Crater getting in a cab is not true. The two people he had dinner with testified they last saw him walking down the street.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really thought that Sharon was going to pull a Zerg cam, before the judges took the correct response away from Nolan.

I loved the '90s music category. Matchbox 20 was my first concert, in 1998, so it was cool to see the clue that mentioned "Push." Overall I didn't really like this board, though. The "Tough Stupid Answers" category was very...stupid. I had never heard of that Civil war general who was the correct response to that $2000 clue, and I had absolutely no idea on that $2000 clue on New Jersey. "Margaret Atwood" also seemed kind of easy on the $1600 clue.

I could be wrong, but I thought that I heard the guy who won the game say "Sarah McLachlanD."

FJ was an insant get. I knew that Some Like It Hot was number 1 on that list, so it was on my mind as a precall. Tootsie was easy enough to get to, when I saw the clue. I thought that this was a good FJ clue, except that it seemed like a lot to have to write.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:

Instaget FJ, which is thankful after my slaughter in DJ. I think I was 0-fer two categories (Women Authors and 90's Hits).
I was thinking the same thing, but she actually said "this name", not "this last name". I don't know if that really changes anything, but it seems like the argument could be made. He could have been saying the family was the Fosters, even though he didn't say "the". Actually, upon further review, he said "What is Foster's?", which pretty clearly should be wrong, as he named the beer, rather than the brothers' name. "What are Fosters?", I could see, but Bamaman is probably right, how can anyone be expected to remember what was asked after a rambling video clue like that.

That was great that they warned not to end ante meridiem with an "n", but then Nolan screwed up the first word instead by saying "anti", and for some reason Alex says they'll accept it, even though it was pretty obviously wrong. Apparently Alex was hearing better when he chose not to accept "a rational number" for "irrational number". That just seems like a bad thing to ask for, because it's just begging for a response that is hard to distinguish audibly.

I liked Bill's aggressive wager on the 90s Music DD, as he obviously felt comfortable in the category, and the two higher value clues were not very difficult. It would have put him in great position to secure a lock if he was right. How someone who feels confident in 90s music could not know that Aerosmith song, I have no idea, so I guess we'll just blame it on the lights.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:The state between the Carolinas and Georgia was a fourth row clue?
Between the Carolinas and Florida, but yeah.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Oh yeah, and Nolan's ill-advised $5,600 wager worked out so well for him on Friday, that he decided to bet the ill-advised sum of $5,600 again. It wasn't the worst possible wager he could have made, as at least it kept Sharon locked out, but if I was in his spot, I would have preferred to stay ahead of Bill on a miss, rather than worry about keeping Sharon locked out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:Oh yeah, and Nolan's ill-advised $5,600 wager worked out so well for him on Friday, that he decided to bet the ill-advised sum of $5,600 again. It wasn't the worst possible wager he could have made, as at least it kept Sharon locked out, but if I was in his spot, I would have preferred to stay ahead of Bill on a miss, rather than worry about keeping Sharon locked out.
Bill's MSBIW was $5,599, so Nolan decided to bet the score he needed to be at rather than the amount he needed to bet to stay above the MSBIW. An easy mistake to make.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I can't wait until they purge the AFI from existence on trivia shows. Their lists are incredibly outdated (or at least skew way towards older movies) and a question like this shows that well enough. Second straight show where a perfectly logical answer is only disproven if you know a really specific fact about the trivia (the Car of the Year or AFI List itself, which seems harsh for this show). I know people will disagree with this but it's just frustrating to come up with an actual viable guess and be wrong again, when most FJ's aren't really like that.

I can sympathize on not getting the Aerosmith song. A really long title with major DD pressure in a category that looked easy enough otherwise (McLaughlin/Etheridge I messed up on but that's on me) is stumbling block worthy.

I can see why Sharon got on the show easily enough (her interview and personality show an interesting and potentially interesting person) but she either got a bad board for her or just wasn't up to the challenge today.

13 Colonies was at least in the wrong round, and possibly on the wrong type of show (I think the teens at least pull 4 of 5 on that category).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

StevenH wrote:I had never heard of that Civil war general who was the correct response to that $2000 clue.
The only way I knew that one was because of a character of the same name on Firefly.

I figured at least one person would say Mrs. Doubtfire.

So much Lach trash. So. Much.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Oh yeah, and Nolan's ill-advised $5,600 wager worked out so well for him on Friday, that he decided to bet the ill-advised sum of $5,600 again. It wasn't the worst possible wager he could have made, as at least it kept Sharon locked out, but if I was in his spot, I would have preferred to stay ahead of Bill on a miss, rather than worry about keeping Sharon locked out.
Bill's MSBIW was $5,599, so Nolan decided to bet the score he needed to be at rather than the amount he needed to bet to stay above the MSBIW. An easy mistake to make.
Maybe so, but I don't for one second think that this was the reason for his bet.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Nothing against Some Like it Hot and Tootsie, but does the AFI really consider them the two best comedies ever? Is this how this list works?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Maybe so, but I don't for one second think that this was the reason for his bet.
I forgot to add "Or maybe he just pulled a number out of his ass".