Thursday, November 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6704, 2013-11-07

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Orman, a travel planner from Shoreview, Minnesota
Adam Johnston, a project manager from Mechanicsville, Maryland
Rani Peffer, a corporate finance manager from Crittenden, Kentucky (whose 2-day cash winnings total $28,712)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our studio. And welcome to you, as well, who are watching at home. Something unusual happened on our program yesterday. For the first time in quite a few programs, we have a repeat champion. Rani has won two games. Can she make it three in a row? Well, Sarah and Adam will have something to say about that, so I'll wish all three of you good luck. Direct your attention to the board and to these categories now in play.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE USA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SONG & DANCE (5/5)
LITERARY BUNNIES (5/5)
HODGEPODGE (4/5)
THE FABRIC OF OUR LIVES (5/5)
ALAS, POOR... (4/5) (Alex: But the correct response will not be Yorick. However, it will be a word that rhymes with Yorick in that category.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 13 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Adam: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Sarah: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Rani had $2,800, Adam had $800, and Sarah had nothing in the bank. Adam wagered $1,000.

AROUND THE USA $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue.) As the U.S. expanded its territory westward,
this point moved from the east coast in 1776 to South Dakota in 1959 with the addition of Alaska and Hawaii

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rani: $3,200
Adam: $2,000
Sarah: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Orman is a travel planner who admits to turning 40 this year and has had an adventure a month since then.

Sarah That's right.

Alex: What are some of the adventures?

Sarah: Oh, I did canoeing and camping in The Everglades. I hiked the Grand Canyon rim to rim, and I did my first half marathon, and now I'm here.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Adam Johnston, from Mechanicsville, Maryland, flew for the Navy for how long?

Adam: I did. The better part of 10 years.

Alex: What were you flying?

Adam: I was flying P-3s, which have been around since long before I was born, but --and they're still in service, slowly being replaced now. It was a great opportunity. I loved every day of it, miss it dearly now that I'm working a desk most days.

Alex: Oh, do you miss the fact of flying, or do you miss the camaraderie that you had in the service?

Adam: I miss both. I did love the flying. I don't necessarily miss the way it makes your clothes smell when you're around jet fuel all the time, and I don't miss the long days and the many time zones, but the flying itself, there's just no beating a desk at 27,000 feet.

Alex; Okay, good for you.

Alex: Rani Peffer is our champion. We have talked to a number of contestants --female contestants --who have been proposed to in unusual ways. Tell us how your husband proposed to you.

Rani: My husband and I have now been married for a little over 12 years, and he proposed to me by hiding the ring in my fries at my favorite fast-food restaurant.

Alex: Hiding it in your fries?

Rani: Yes, I thought something had gone horribly wrong in the kitchen. [Laughter]

Alex: You know, in a glass of champagne maybe, in a cupcake, but in fries? And you had just poured ketchup all over them, hadn't you?

Rani: Oh, thank goodness I wasn't up to ketchup yet. [Laughter]

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ALAS, POOR... $800: This acid produced in the stomach

HODGEPODGE $800: Responding to criticism by calling the critic an illiterate moron is this kind of attack with a 2-word Latin name
(Adam: What is a non sequitur?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rani: $8,600
Adam: $3,400
Sarah: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 7, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE NEW YORK TIMES BUSINESS (3/5)
O-E-O-E (5/5) (Alex: That sequence of letters coming up in each correct response.)
WHAT ISLAND? (3/5)
99 MODELS OF GEAR (3/3)
ON THE WALL (2/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Adam: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adam snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Rani had $9,800, Adam had $8,200, and Sarah was at $2,600. Adam wagered $6,000.

BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS $1600: The longest serving Labor prime minister ever
(Adam: Who is Disraeli?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rani who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Rani had $14,600, Adam had $4,600, and Sarah was at $5,000. Rani wagered $1,200.

ON THE WALL $1200: ...of this museum is a portrait of Elizabeth Petrovna as a child (1712 - 1713) by Ivan Nikitin
(Rani: What is the Louvre?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT ISLAND? $1200: Great Neck & Amagansett

WHAT ISLAND? $1600: The Philippine National Police Academy

THE NEW YORK TIMES BUSINESS $1200: (Andrew Ross Sorkin delivers the clue.) In 2000 I broke the news of the acquisition of J. P. Morgan by this banking company

THE NEW YORK TIMES BUSINESS $2000: (Eric Lichtblau delivers the clue.) In 2012, as this group celebrated its centennial, I wrote that as the longtime leading business voice in Washington, it was competing to be heard in fiscal debates

BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS $2000: Alternated with Gladstone from 1868 to 1880
(Alex: Adam, I was hoping you'd ring in now and say,
"Who is [*]?")

BRITISH PRIME MINISTERS $400: Dispatched HMS invincible to the south Atlantic under captain Jeremy Black

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rani: $14,200 (lock game)
Sarah: $5,000
Adam: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY INFLUENCES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Rani: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Sarah: Wager $4,201 to cover Adam.
Adam: Risk between $401 and $3,800, covering Sarah's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The "GossIp Girl" series of books was inspired by this Pulitzer Prize-winning novel also set in NYC but 120 years earlier

FINAL SCORES
Adam: $4,600 - $3,000 = $1,600 (What is The Great Gatsby?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sarah: $5,000 - $4,300 = $700 (What is Bonfire) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rani: $14,200 - $1,777 = $12,423 (What is "Dangerous Liaisons"?) (3-day champion: $41,135)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rani: $15,400, 21 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Adam: $10,200, 17 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Sarah: $5,000, 8 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $30,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Rani: 21/59 = .356
Adam: 17/60 = .283
Sarah: 8/58 = .138
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALAS, POOR... $1000: Alas, poor this castle that brings tourists to the English Midlands

HODGEPODGE $200: Seen here is a page printed in this language in the 15th century
(Rani: What is Arabic?)

HODGEPODGE $400: Echoing the size of some of its early audio products, the RX100 HD digital camera from this company fits in a pocket

HODGEPODGE $600: The 1880s cartoon
seen here shows the helpless Cherokee nation tied down like this Swift character

AROUND THE USA $400: The Mar-A-Lago estate, now a private club owned by Donald Trump, is in this Florida "beach" town
(Sarah: What is Miami Beach?)

LITERARY BUNNIES $1000: Richard Adams conceived of this story about Hazel, Fiver & others while on a long car journey with his 2 daughters
(Adam: What is An American Tail?)

THE FABRIC OF OUR LIVES $400: Go wale-watching in this woven fabric with vertical stripes of tufted ribs
[NOTE: This was the 250,000th clue entered into the J! Archive, on 2013-11-09]

THE FABRIC OF OUR LIVES $600: Oh let the sun beat down upon my face as I wear this goat-hair sweater, like Oprah's favorite by Ralph Lauren
(Sarah: What is angora?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES BUSINESS $400: (Gretchen Morgenson delivers the clue.) I've written a lot about shareholders trying to get greater accountability for this group of people, including one story headlined "Daring to Knock on the Boardroom Door"
(Sarah: Who are CEOs?)

O-E-O-E $800: It's a foot-pound per-second unit of power; let's see what you've got under the hood
(Adam: What is torque?)

99 MODELS OF GEAR $400: This NHL star tucked in his 99 jersey to one side, a childhood habit to stop his stick from getting caught
(Rani: That's the only hockey player I know. [Laughter])

ON THE WALL $800: ...of the Prado
is a Tiepolo showing Mary
stomping a serpent, representing this event's freedom from original sin
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
geographic center
hydrochloric
ad hominem
Tony Blair
Hermitage Museum
Long Island
Luzon
Chase
The Chamber of Commerce
Benjamin Disraeli
Margaret Thatcher
The Age of Innocence
Warwick
Hebrew
Sony
Gulliver
Palm Beach
Watership Down
corduroy
cashmere
board of directors
horsepower
Wayne Gretzky
Immaculate Conception
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Literary Infleunces
The "Gossip Girl" series of books was inspired by this Pulitzer Prize-winning novel also set in New York City but 120 years earlier.

Spoiler
What is The Age of Innocence? Adam said The Great Gatsby; Sarah said Bonfire (of the Vanities, she was presumably going for); Rani said Dangerous Liaisons.

Rani Peffer: $14,200-$1,777=$12,423...now a 3-day champion with $41,135
Sarah Orman: $5,000-4,300=$700
Adam Johnston; $4,600-$3,000=$1,600
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I enjoyed this board, but there were still quite a few clues that were undervalued or overvalued. I couldn't believe that Disraeli was a $2000 clue, and it was even harder to believe that he was a TS. I actually thought that the clue on Thatcher, at $400, was the toughest one in that category. I might have moved Frida Kahlo down a few rows, too. I also couldn't believe how easy the category on dances in the J! round was. The tripe stumper on Chase bank surprised me as well.

I enjoyed the islands category, except that I said Nantucket for Long Island.

I had no idea on FJ. I knew who wrote the book, the names of 2 characters from it, and that it won the Pulitzer, but I didn't know enough about the plot to be able to connect the dots.
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

Last edited by lillypie82 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buttercream
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Buttercream »

There was a question tonight - November 7, 2013 - regarding a painting which showed Mary crushing the snake.....I only caught a glimpse of the painting, am sorry that I had been distracted.

But I did hear the answer which was given as "Immaculate Conception". I don't think this can be correct, as the Immaculate Conception does not refer to Mary conceiving Jesus, but to the fact that Mary is held to have been conceived without original sin. Haven't been a Catholic for a long time, but I do recall that. Would appreciate comments from those who know - I can't even think what a brief correct answer would be.
Leander

Post by Leander »

While I would have guessed Wharton for the author, I had no idea on the book. I've seen the Scorcese movie of the Age of Innocence but don't see much of a connection to the show/books.

Surprising number of TS in this game. Also surprised that someone confident in the British PM category would come up with Disraeli as a Labour PM.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

WAG for FJ and got it right, thought I also thought of The House of MIrth. :) Since I haven't read either novel, I went with my first guess.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

All I had for FJ was Vanity Fair. No idea if the setting (time and/or place) fit the clue.
If it breaks 25% on the poll I'll be surprised; 33%, I'll be stunned!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never read the Gossip Girls book, so had no clue. Wasn't really sure where they were going mentioning the time frame. Was it written 120 years ago or just set then? Looking for book or author? Scribbled down The Great Gatsby at the end just to have something.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Absolutely no clue on FJ. I couldn't even come up with a plausible guess.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

My WAG was pretty awful. Picked a novel that wasn't about teenagers and wasn't even in the US. Oh well.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Pretty easy boards ... until FJ. It should poll above Taylor Swift, but I'm guessing not by much.

Carol Anne observed that there seems to be more women on the show this season. Anyone have the empirical evidence?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Let me rewrite FJ a bit.... This Pulitzer prize winning novel, written in 1920 but set in New York City in the 1870s....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Weird board for me.

4/5 in Song/Dance, missing only Locomotion. 0/5 in Fabrics as usual.

On Around the US for $400, what was supposed to lead to Palm Beach over Miami Beach, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Fort Walton Beach, etc.? I 50/50'd Miami/Daytona and came up on the edge.

Literary Bunnies should've been easy, but I had it in my head that the Alice in Wonderland rabbit had "hare" in his name, even though I solved I'M LATE I'M LATE FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE just the other day on Wheel with no letters showing. Then I clammed on Peter Rabbit since I wasn't sure. And though I precalled Watership Down, I didn't think to guess it at $1000 since I know nothing about the books. I do have an affinity for talking-animal books (I bought every book in the Redwall series at a different bookstore), so I might want to check it out.

Oddly, the TS (Ad hominem) was my sole get in Hodgepodge.

0/5 in Prime Ministers, but at least I've heard of all of them. Also got the Lach Trash on Chase.

$400 in Business seemed undervalued.

No guess on FJ! Absolute NHOI.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:Let me rewrite FJ a bit.... This Pulitzer prize winning novel, written in 1920 but set in New York City in the 1870s....
That makes a lot more sense and is much clearer. This way, I'd spend the entire 30 seconds staring into space instead of spending most of it figuring out what they were talking about.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had a good game, but I did poorly in the business category, and I missed FJ.

I would have said Nantucket for the Long Island clue, but fortunately for me, I couldn't come up with the name Nantucket!

I gave the same incorrect response of "CEO" as a contestant.

My two shout-at-the-TV moments were "ad hominem" and "Disraeli".

I managed to correctly come up with Tony Blair in time, although it was just an educated guess. (The person who I thought was their first Labour Prime Minister also came to mind, although it turns out that I was misremembering his name, so it's good that I went with a recent one.)

I missed FJ, as I'm sure many of you did. I know nothing about "Gossip Girl", and I know almost nothing about "The Age of Innocence", but I have heard that title, and knew the author was Edith Wharton, but I didn't know where and when it was set, or when it came out. If I had to guess either of those things, I might have been off by a couple of decades.

I wrote down "The Group" just to have something, fully expecting it to be wrong. I knew it was about a bunch of female friends, and I thought it might have possibly been set in New York, but I felt like it was set in the 1920s. (Turns out it was the 1930s.) Tried to think of other plausible candidates, but nothing came to mind before the music ended. Oh well, still no worse than leaving it blank.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Buttercream wrote:There was a question tonight - November 7, 2013 - regarding a painting which showed Mary crushing the snake.....I only caught a glimpse of the painting, am sorry that I had been distracted.

But I did hear the answer which was given as "Immaculate Conception". I don't think this can be correct, as the Immaculate Conception does not refer to Mary conceiving Jesus, but to the fact that Mary is held to have been conceived without original sin. Haven't been a Catholic for a long time, but I do recall that. Would appreciate comments from those who know - I can't even think what a brief correct answer would be.
I don't remember the exact wording, but the clue was about Mary being conceived without Original Sin. Or at least it was suggestive enough of it that Immaculate Conception was my answer, too.

---

Had Vanity Fair for Final. I was fairly certain it was set in Britain, but it was something to say.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

At least Alex read some of the NYT category today.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote:Carol Anne observed that there seems to be more women on the show this season. Anyone have the empirical evidence?
While I could certainly run through this season's challengers counting the men vs. women, it really doesn't matter because women are already way way overrepresented making for a weaker pool of challengers than there should be.