Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6712, 2013-11-19

2013 Teachers Tournament semifinal game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Becky Giardina, a 7th grade social studies teacher from Martinez, Georgia
Anne Baxter, a kindergarten French teacher from Ypsilanti, Michigan
Patrick Dillon, an elementary music teacher from Huntington, New York

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, everyone. I'm still trying to get over yesterday's match. I don't think we've had an important game like that be decided by just $500 to $0 for the two people who lost the game. But John Pearson is, uh, standing by, ready to find out who he gets to face in the finals later this week. So, Patrick, Anne, and Becky, good luck. Here we go. And the categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FLAVOR OF THE MONTH (3/5)
SCIENCE SURVEY (4/5)
FLASHIN' SOME FASHION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOUNDS LIKE FOOTBALL (3/5)
MOVIES WITH STRUCTURE (5/5)
INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anne: 11 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Becky: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Patrick: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anne: $3,000
Becky: $1,200
Patrick: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Becky Giardina is from Georgia. Now, last year, I hear that the teachers, as an incentive to inspire the students to do well and to try harder, pooled some money and offered it as prizes. And the kids surprised the daylights out of you.

Becky: Yes, they did. Um, we offered money to students who scored above a certain score on the standardized tests, and we were sure they were all going to take it. But at the same time, the school was doing a fundraiser for March of Dimes, and most of the students elected to turn their prize money over to the fundraiser.

Alex: But did they perform better as a result of all of this?

Becky: They did really well last year.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Anne Baxter is from Michigan, a kindergarten French teacher, started from humble beginnings in Detroit and is honored to teach children there who started out the way you did, right?

Anne: Absolutely. I lived in Detroit till I was 9, and, um, my parents had a huge value on education and gave us a great education and a good home. And I wanted to go back and contribute and help children and--and teach.

Alex: Detroit has fallen on some hard times, but hopefully--hopefully--they'll turn things around.

Anne: Absolutely.

Alex: And education, as you know, is a very important part of that.

Anne: Is the future.

Alex: Yeah. Okay.

Alex: Patrick Dillon is from Huntington, New York. What's this about you dressing up as Harry Potter? What was that for?

Patrick: Oh, I used to work at a bookstore, and when the fourth book came out, I dressed up as Harry Potter to sell the book. And I've dressed up four other times as Harry Potter. The graduation robes really help, and the glasses. It's a good fallback costume.

Alex: Did you get bigger sales when you dressed up?

Patrick: I think J.K. Rowling was pretty happy with the sales, yeah.

Alex: Okay. Well, that's good. That's all that counts. If she's happy, you're happy.

Patrick: Right.

Alex: And right now I want you to be happy and make a selection as we go on.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anne found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Patrick had $1,800, Anne had $1,800, and Becky was at $3,600. Anne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

FLASHIN' SOME FASHION $1000: Popular in the '20s & again in the '60s, this French-named hat will be there with bells on

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOUNDS LIKE FOOTBALL $400: The profit you get back on an investment
(Anne: What is interest?)

SOUNDS LIKE FOOTBALL $1000: Folded pastry
(Patrick: What is--a--[shakes head] croissant?)
[Laughter]
(Alex: That's a football term!)

SCIENCE SURVEY $1000: This roughly 3-pound organ converts glycogen to glucose
(Anne: What's the pancreas?)

FLAVOR OF THE MONTH $600: Originally, the green life saver in the classic roll of 5 flavors was lime; today, it's this flavor
(Anne: What is apple?)

FLAVOR OF THE MONTH $1000: In summer 2013 this pasta favorite from Campbell's made the "rounds" with its first new flavor in 20 years, cheeseburger!

INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew stands with the Liberty Bell at Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) Though the bell first rang out in 1753, the term "Liberty Bell" wasn't used until 1839 in a poem fittingly found in this abolitionist's newspaper, "The Liberator"
(Patrick: Who is Stowe?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Becky: $5,200
Anne: $4,000
Patrick: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STAND BY YOUR STAN (5/5)
TEXTING IN CLASS (5/5)
CELEBRITY RELATIVES (5/5)
LET'S ALL CHANT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAKING A BEE LINE (3/5)
FRONT TO BACK, BACK TO FRONT (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words that are the reverse of each other, for example "golf" and "flog".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anne: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Becky: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Patrick: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anne snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Patrick had no money, Anne had $9,200, and Becky was at $7,600. Anne wagered $1,500.

LET'S ALL CHANT $1200: Priests chant the name of the god Ptah in the last scene of this opera

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Patrick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Patrick had $10,000, Anne had $15,100, and Becky was at $12,400. Patrick wagered $2,200.

FRONT TO BACK, BACK TO FRONT $1600: Beastly home & Mideast currency
(Alex: Patrick?)
(Patrick: Um...)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MAKING A BEE LINE $1600: In "Henry V" Shakespeare mentions "the lazy yawning" this bee that dies after mating
(Alex: Talkin' about the poor [*].)

MAKING A BEE LINE $2000: He wrote, "I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree... and live alone in the bee-loud glade"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anne: $15,100
Becky: $12,400
Patrick: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 2012 OLYMPICS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Anne: Wager $9,701 to cover Becky.
Becky: You have to wager $3,201 to cover Patrick's doubled score, but certainly no more than $4,599, so as to force Patrick to be right to have a chance at winning.
Patrick: Think about risking $2,400 or less, thereby beating Anne on the Triple Stumper (should Anne wager to cover Becky's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
NBC reported that in the first days of Olympic coverage, this sport seen in recent books & on film was the most watched on cable

FINAL SCORES
Patrick: $7,800 - $6,800 = $1,000 (What is swimming?) (3rd place)
Becky: $12,400 + $12,400 = $24,800 (What is archery?) (Finalist)
Anne: $15,100 - $9,701 = $5,399 (What is skateboarding?) (2nd place)
(Alex: [To Becky] You were thinking of the movie The Hunger Games perhaps?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anne: $14,000, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 4 W
Becky: $12,400, 14 R, 0 W
Patrick: $10,000, 13 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $36,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Anne: 23/60 = .383
Becky: 15/58 = .259
Patrick: 13/59 = .220
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FLASHIN' SOME FASHION $400: I'll say the '80s loved this three-quarter style of pants

INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) A quill box & shaker for sprinking sand over wet ink to speed drying are accessories of the silver ink stand used by the Declaration of Independence signers leading off with this Massachusetts man

INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew points to the post office at Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) The post office at 316 Market St. is the only one in the U.S. that doesn't fly the American flag, because it hadn't been created yet when this man was Postmaster-General

INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $600: (Kelly on the Clue Crew stands outside Independence Hall at Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) In 1765 the streets outside Independence Hall were packed with people protesting this act that placed levies on newspapers, playing cards & pamphlets

INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us a Classical/Revival style building in Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) Madison & Jefferson were opposed, but Hamilton's vision of a strong central government, in economics as well as politics, won out & this financial institution was created in 1791, headquartered here in Philadelphia
(Patrick: What is the Treasury?)

LET'S ALL CHANT $2000: The "Dark Side of the Chant" album features this Carl Orff work with a Latin title, used in menacing movie scenes
(Alex: That's it, better known as Carmina Burana.)

TEXTING IN CLASS $400: IANAL, but if I were one I'd be part of this class, the opposite of amateur
[Alex reads "IANAL" as "I am not a lawyer".]

TEXTING IN CLASS $800: Dad makes big $? Yr family is in this class w/name of a pie layer
[Alex reads "$" as "bucks" and "yr" as "your".]

TEXTING IN CLASS $1200: This head servant OTD? BOL finding a new one
[Alex reads "OTD" as "out the door" and "BOL" as "best of luck".]

TEXTING IN CLASS $1600: NK, this bureau sez 46m Americans now in poverty
[Alex reads "NK" as "no kidding".]

TEXTING IN CLASS $2000: Per treasury sec, L/T prosperity "depends on an expanding, vibrant" this class
[Alex reads "sec" as "secretary" and "L/T" as "long term".]

STAND BY YOUR STAN $2000: Kazakhstan is on the Caspian Sea & this so-called "sea" that has shrunk from 26,000 square miles to a tenth of that
(Alex: That's right, with less than a minute to go.)

FRONT TO BACK, BACK TO FRONT $800: Angry & a horse's mom
(Anne: What is--irate and--mare and--)

CORRECT RESPONSES
a cloche hat
return
a turnover
the liver
watermelon
SpaghettiOs
William Lloyd Garrison
Aida
lair & rial
drone
William Butler Yeats
archery
Capri pants
John Hancock
Ben Franklin
the Stamp Act
the Bank of the United States
O, Fortuna
a professional
the upper crust
the butler
the Census
the middle class
the Aral Sea
mad/dam
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

The 2012 Olympics
NBC reported that in the first days of Olympic coverage, this sport seen in recent books & on film was the most watched on cable.

Spoiler
What is Archery? Patrick said Swimming; Anne said Skateboarding.

Anne Baxter: $15,100-$9,701=$5,399
Becky Giardina: $12,400+$12,400=$24,800...Finalist
Patrick Dillon: $7,800-$6,800=$1,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Behold, the only time I will ever run a sports category. Also ran Flavor of the Month.

Brokedown Palace was my only NHOI in Movie Structure, but I clammed on Haunted Mansion too.

Oh come on, guys, how hard is it to put the tilde over the N in jalapeño? That just looks sloppy.

Could've run Fashion, but I clammed on capri and tweed, and knew only that the hat began with "clo". I probably would've negged with "clochet" or something.

Didn't realize there was just a "Bank of the United States". Expected a fancier name.

If I clam on five answers and still get 18/30 in J!, then I can't complain.

====

Captions on Front to Back: "…that are the reserve of each other." Oops.

4/5 in Celeb Relatives, missing only Rashida Jones (NHO).

Unfortunately, we used Nic Cage in the Celeb category, so no chance at Wicker Man/"Not the bees!" in Bee Line.

Disappointed that we didn't get the last Front to Back, because I was stoked for a run after pulling out lair/rial.

16/29 is also pretty darn good. Usually if I have a good J! round, I completely come unraveled in DJ! I also got all of the top boxes in both rounds, which is really rare.

====

That's the third time this tournament that I've seen the "We'll be back for Final Jeopardy! right after this" in the middle of the commercial break before FJ! Can't remember the last time I've seen that more than once per… season.

====

"Recent books and film" had me going nowhere. I even thought of The Hunger Games but was unaware that archery was in it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Recent books and film" had me going nowhere. I even thought of The Hunger Games but was unaware that archery was in it.
I thought of The Hunger Games and knew it had archery. I almost went with it. But ultimately I stuck with my first answer. Quidditch.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Watched SO much of the Olympics, but guessed equestrian :oops:
Fun fact: Jennifer Lawrence's archery coach came in 4th in London.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I got FJ before Alex even got to the part about the recent movie and books. Archery received a good amount of early coverage because the blind South Korean archer set a WR before the opening ceremonies even took place. Other than football prelims, I think it was the only event that going before the opening ceremonies. It helps that during the Olympics, I have them on for just about every hour I'm awake and not at work.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Recent books and film" had me going nowhere. I even thought of The Hunger Games but was unaware that archery was in it.
That makes two of us.

Overall, this was a pretty good game.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

That fashion DD with the Bells-Cloche connection is reminiscent of the DD that Ken Jennings missed on day 75 that otherwise would have meant another lock game for him(he lost $4K on clue 22 in DJ! on that DD)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bad wager by Becky but was able to come up with the win. She had a crush over Patrick, so why go all in? In a regular game it has some benefit by getting you more money, but there is zero reason to bet more than necessary in a tournament game.

In Patrick's spot I'd have bet $2,400. It tops the leader's MSBIW score and can win on a sole solve if Becky had made the MSB.

When I read the clue I decided right away it probably wasn't a high profile sport. So what could it be Quiddich did cross my mind, but even though the clue didn't say it had to be an actual Olympic sport, I tossed that one aside.

So what sport was in books and movies? Nothing I've read or seen. Not sure why archery came to mind, maybe being close to the front of the alphabet helped. I thought of the Hunger Games, even though I'm not really sure what that's about. Time was running out and I couldn't come up with anything better. since my name isn't TPH, I did not leave it blank and was rewarded with an unlikely get.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Having seen a bunch of commercials for The Hunger Games sequel recently, and being a huge Olympics fan, this was as close to an instaget as it comes. I think the reference to cable in the clue pointed to an obscure sport. I was surprised this was a single get for the contestants.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Much to my dismay, my alma mater is forever associated (see FJ!) with that blasted "sport" of quidditch. That was a tough one to shake for about ten seconds here before getting back on track.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Very amused to see "Blurred Lines" and Robin Thicke come up today. I got that only because of the conversation this morning over in the TD168 thread. Had never heard of the song before today.

I thought "middle class" was quite overvalued at $2000, and that whole texting category was a bit strange.

No clue on FJ so guessed lacrosse just to say something.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Vermonter wrote:Much to my dismay, my alma mater is forever associated (see FJ!) with that blasted "sport" of quidditch. That was a tough one to shake for about ten seconds here before getting back on track.
May I assume it is preferable to being known as the college which matriculated Ari Fleischer? Ah, our beloved Vermont and its quirks!

Jeffrey
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

For the "Sounds like Football" clue about investment income, I said "quarterback." The answer was "return." Quick poll: would they have accepted my answer? (Full disclosure, since the archive doesn't have this up yet: the word "back" was in the clue.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I enjoy me some SpaghettiOs a few times a year and I'll have a cheeseburger more than a few times a year. Cheeseburger SpaghettiOs sounded interesting so I had to try it. They were terrible, awful, inedible, disgusting, and yucky. So for those of you who already can't stand the original then imagine the newer product. Atomic Fireballs? Classic to still make the mouth and eyes feel the power.

The cloche got me. It looked a cross between something worn on Boardwalk Empire and what Moms Mabley wore, but I could not recall the name.

The FJ! category had me thinking something about Phelps, the gymnasts or Bolt. The clue had me stumped. I watched more than my fair share of the Olympics including NBC, cable and online. I've read all of The Hunger Games books being on them from the start with no bandwagon/late to the party necessary. I saw the first movie on opening day. I'm more than well aware that Catching Fire opens this week. I saw the movie Brave also. The popularity of archery recently made the news more than once.

None of that helped tonight. Of course 14 in a row just had to go down on a combo Olympics/sports/tv/movie clue. I guess tomorrow with be Shakespeare or Business and I'll get it right. Because it was the quickest thing I could think of to write my guess was boxing.

Nice solve by Becky to eliminate the 2nd celeb name teacher sending Anne Baxter to join James Brown on the sidelines.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

All I can say is thank God for the movie poster featuring Jennifer Lawrence with a bow. Haven't read the books or seen the movie, but that was enough to trigger archery in my head for FJ.
Golf

Post by Golf »

FJ category is 2012 Olympics and to answer correctly you need to have knowledge of the current flavor of the month silly movie series. Awesome. Who cares about true sports knowledge anyway?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I enjoy me some SpaghettiOs a few times a year and I'll have a cheeseburger more than a few times a year. Cheeseburger SpaghettiOs sounded interesting so I had to try it. They were terrible, awful, inedible, disgusting, and yucky.
Thanks! I'll stick with my '& Meatballs' and '& Franks', then. :)
I've read all of The Hunger Games books being on them from the start with no bandwagon/late to the party necessary. I saw the first movie on opening day. I'm more than well aware that Catching Fire opens this week. I saw the movie Brave also. The popularity of archery recently made the news more than once.

None of that helped tonight. Of course 14 in a row just had to go down on a combo Olympics/sports/tv/movie clue. I guess tomorrow with be Shakespeare or Business and I'll get it right. Because it was the quickest thing I could think of to write my guess was boxing.
Ditto and 'tennis'. Wouldn't have guessed archery if I had an hour.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Archery? You mean the georgeous swimming team, singing Call Me Maybe wasn't enough?

Speaking of Hunger Games, in the second movie, you're going to meet a character named Finnick. You know which other character was very similar to Finnick, quite apparently the inspiration for the character?