Tuesday, November 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6717, 2013-11-26

CONTESTANTS
Janel Stogdill, a homeschool mom from Valrico, Florida
Mike Nickel, a social worker from St. Louis, Missouri
Rani Peffer, a corporate finance manager from Crittenden, Kentucky (whose 5-day cash winnings total $68,701)

OPENING REMARKS
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. I'm often asked, "what's the best part of your job?" And my answer has been consistent throughout the years. It's the half-hour I get to spend onstage with three very intelligent contestants who are dealing with some creative and highly intelligently written clues. That's my way of trying to make up to the writing staff.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERATURA EN ESPAÑOL (5/5)
DOOHICKEYS (3/5)
TOMB SERVICE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOOD WORDS CREATED IN THE AMERICAS (4/5)
OUT OF WHAT? (5/5)
CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY (4/5) (It's the magic of [*] on Broadway.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rani: 13 R, 1 W
Janel: 6 R, 0 W
Mike: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rani: $2,600
Janel: $2,000
Mike: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Janel Stogdill, from Valrico, Florida is a homeschooler, homeschools her children.

Janel: I do.

Alex: Now, we don't hear about that too often.

Janel: Right.

Alex: But do you have to comply with certain state regulations and your children have to be tested on a regular basis?

Janel: Yes, in the state of Florida, our children are tested annually, and they have to show progress commensurate with their abilities. There is not a state standardized test. We have our choice, as far as what we use for testing.

Alex: Okay. As a mom and a teacher, which job is tougher?

Janel: Oh. Mom.

Alex: Yeah?

Janel: Mom, but it's better.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Mike Nickel is a social worker from St. Louis, Missouri, and not too many people know that St. Louis has the second biggest Mardi Gras celebration, after New Orleans, right?

Mike: That's correct.

Alex: And you're involved.

Mike: Yes, my wife, Linda, and I are on a Mardi Gras crew in St. Louis and participate in the festivities and the grand parade.

Alex: What crew are you with?

Mike: We're on the Grand Sultans of Excess.

Alex: The Grand Sultans of Excess?

Mike: Yes, sir, that's the name of our crew.

Alex: Okay. I approve.

[ laughter ]

Alex: Rani Peffer is our champion. And you have done something that a lot of people would like to do, and that is take a cross-country trip with your family. What was the highlight, and where did you leave from and where did you wind up?

Rani: We made it from Northern Kentucky all the way out to California and back, about 7,000 miles of driving over 5 weeks, with a 3-year-old and an infant and dragging a camping trailer.

Alex: Oh, boy. Was it tough on the 3-year-old?

Rani: Not really. She had a DVD player, so we were good.

Alex: Okay.

Rani: We'd just pop in "Jeopardy!"

Alex: That's the secret --get that DVD player going.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Rani had $5,000, Mike had $2,800, and Janel was at $3,000. Mike wagered $1,500.

TOMB SERVICE $800: This writer's tomb in Amiens, France was featured on the masthead of Amazing Stories magazine for many years
(MIke: Who is H.G. Wells?)
(Alex: No, it's in France -)
(Mike: [*].)
(Alex: [*], yes, you jumped in a little too quickly on that one.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOOHICKEYS $400: The raised connector for the positive side of a car battery

FOOD WORDS CREATED IN THE AMERICAS $800: It's a type of pepper, or the dish of the pepper ground with chopped onion, bell pepper, kidney beans & tomatoes

CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew strolls through the set of Cinderella the Broadway Theatre in New York.) While Broadway's Cinderella has a clever and witty new book by Douglas Carter Beane, he drew on the original story by this French fairy tale author.

DOOHICKEYS $1000: That "CE" key on calculators... what's it stand for again?
(Mike: What is clear?)
(Rani: What is clear error?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rani: $6,200
Janel: $3,000
Mike: $1,300
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE FRENCH & INDIAN WAR (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SCIENCE NEWS (5/5)
'80s ONE-HIT WONDERS (5/5)
4-SYLLABLE WORDS (3/5)
DRIVING IN EUROPE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE "VILLE" OF THE PEOPLE (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mike: 16 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 1 W
Rani: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Janel: 1 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mike snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Rani had $7,000, Mike had $5,700, and Janel was at $3,000. Mike wagered $2,000.

THE FRENCH & INDIAN WAR $1200: In 1758 the British captured Fort Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island, thus gaining access to this vital river

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Mike who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Rani had $8,200, Mike had $13,700, and Janel was at $1,800. Mike wagered $2,500.

DRIVING IN EUROPE $1600: This little 1959 car was built because of the Suez fuel crisis; a British race car driver soon put his own stamp on it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE FRENCH & INDIAN WAR $800: The British won the 1759 battle for this Canadian city & protected it from recapture 7 months later
(Mike: What is Montreal?)

DRIVING IN EUROPE $2000: In Germany the fastest road is an Autobahn; in Italy it's this toll road also starting with "auto"

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1200: Term coined in the early '60s for a 2-piece bathing suit with the top piece missing

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $2000: This word for intricate or complicated literally means "having overlapping folds"
(Janel: What is -- multifaceted? No.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mike: $20,200
Rani: $14,600
Janel: -$1,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Mike: Wager $9,001 to cover Rani.
Rani: Risk between $0 and $3,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
An international airport in Jamaica is named for this author who set many of his stories of the 1950s & 1960s there

FINAL SCORES
Rani: $14,600 - $14,599 = $1 (Who is Kerouac?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Mike: $20,200 + $9,010 = $29,210 (Who is Ian Fleming) (New champion: $29,210)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mike: $20,000, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Rani: $14,600, 20 R, 2 W
Janel: -$1,800, 7 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Mike: 23/61 = .377
Rani: 20/58 = .345
Janel: 7/58 = .121
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY $200: (The star of Cinderella on Broadway, Laura Osnes, gives us the clue from the New York Broadway Theatre.) In costumes by William Ivey Long, I'm magically transformed from a poor servant girl to a princess ready for the ball; however, the magic all wears off at this hour

CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew gives us the clue from the New York Broadway Theatre.) After making her dramatic Act II entrance, this magical character sings the motivational "There's Music In You".

TOMB SERVICE $400: (Sumnima Udas of CNN gives us the clue.) Completed in 1570, Delhi's Humayun tomb inspired design of this other example of Mughal architecture built in Agra in the next century

CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew gives us the clue from the horse-drawn carriage on the set of Cinderella on Broadway in the Broadway Theatre in New York.) Cinderella makes her way to the ball in a carriage pulled by four white horses that used to be these creatures.

CINDERELLA ON BROADWAY $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us several costumes backstage at the Broadway Theatre in New York.) Some of the Tony award-winning costumes in Cinderella were inspired by the gowns of this Medici woman, the mother of three kings.

THE FRENCH & INDIAN WAR $400: The Treaty of Paris of 1763 ended the French & Indian War as well as this larger global conflict
(Rani: What is the Six Years War?)

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $800: Since cars first met wet roads, drivers have had problems with loss of control due to this event, as seen here

DRIVING IN EUROPE $1200: In 1959 the cars of this Swedish company were the first to make a 3-point safety belt standard
(Janel: What is Saab?)

SCIENCE NEWS $1600: A newly discovered body part, Dua's layer is in this part of the eye that along with the lens does the focusing
(Janel: What is the iris?)

SCIENCE NEWS $2000: The scarily named "antimatter gun" fires bursts of these particles sometimes called antielectrons
(Janel: What are plasma particles?)

4-SYLLABLE WORDS $1600: The artwork seen here depicts this of St. Jerome
[end-of-round signal sounds]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jules Verne
the terminal or the cathode
chili
Charles Perrault
clear entry
the St. Lawrence
the Mini (Cooper)
Québec
the autostrada
monokini
convoluted
Ian Fleming
midnight
the fairy godmother
the Taj Mahal
mice
Catherine de Medici
the Seven Years War
hydroplaning
Volvo
the cornea
positrons
flagellation
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Authors
An international airport in Jamaica is named for this author who set many of his stories of the 1950s & 1960s there.

Spoiler
Who is Ian Fleming? Rani said Kerouac.

Mike Nickel: $20,200+$9,010=$29,210...now a 1-day champion with $29,210
Rani Peffer: $14,600-$14,599=$1
Janel Stogdill: (-$1,800)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Am usually in St. Louis over their Mardi Gras weekend for an annual trivia event, downtown is a mess of drunken revelry.

Good game and FJ solve by the new champ. The old champ needs an intensive wagering course before the ToC.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

At the first break, I had everything but cathode.

Humiliating miss on chili. "Type of pepper" had me thinking jalapeño, cayenne, bell; "dish" had me thinking of everything but soups, and I was getting nowhere. Duh, pick one of your favorite foods.

Assume rats won't fly for mice on Cinderella for $600?

I think the guy in the middle should've gotten a BMS on "clear" instead of an outright neg.

20/30 in J!, so of course I bomb DJ! with 6/28, three of which were One Hit Wonders.

No chance on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think the guy in the middle should've gotten a BMS on "clear" instead of an outright neg.
Nope. There is a Clear key on a calculator, so he shouldn't get a second chance. I'd've bet large sums of money that CE is Clear Entry, though.

I do think he should have been negged for "throwing or passing" -- "passing" doesn't fit Seaver.

Not so much as a guess on FJ. Couldn't think of anyone who set stories in Jamaica.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was an excellent board.

The guy who won found his buzzer groove in the DJ round. Rani did very well to come back; for a second there I thought that she might end up locked out in FJ.

I had no idea on FJ. I guessed Hemingway, just to have a guess. I have seen all of the James Bond movies, but not having read Fleming's books hurt me here.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Dang it, I actually considered Ian Fleming, but I had no idea if that would actually make sense or not. I know lots of the Bond films have scenes in the Caribbean, but I didn't know if he spent time specifically in Jamaica, and had no clue about Fleming's Jamaican connection. Like StevenH, I wrote down Hemingway just to have something, but I really wish I'd have stuck with my gut.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It's a tiny little airport located on the north shore of Jamaica and it looks like it was only named after Fleming in 2011.
StrangerCoug
On a Search and Rescue Mission

Post by StrangerCoug »

I need to be slapped in the face for saying "off the rack" instead of "out of pocket", and there were others in that category I really should have gotten, too.

Ran Literatura en Español. The later clues took some thought, but I was able to get them before the contestant rang in.

I would not have gotten Autostrada without the first part being spotted. Apparently, suffixing the Italian for "street" after it worked.

Took my dad's answer of Fleming... Ian Fleming.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

Fleming (not Art) had his estate/beach house, named "Goldeneye", in Jamaica (& the first Bond movie, "Dr. No", took place there) :lol:
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

I've studied Spanish for years, lived in Madrid for a few months, and served as an interpreter for the New York Board of Elections...

I've never come across "tiempo" as meaning anything other than "weather" or "clime". Certainly not as an analogue to "time". (For example, "What time is it?" is "Que es la hora?" -- and no, I'm not going to try and find the upside down question mark.) If La Maquina de Tiempo is really the title of Wells' book in Spanish, that is new to me.

ETA: Yet there it is on Amazon under that title. Interesting.
Last edited by TomKBaltimoreBoy on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

jeff6286 wrote:Dang it, I actually considered Ian Fleming, but I had no idea if that would actually make sense or not. I know lots of the Bond films have scenes in the Caribbean, but I didn't know if he spent time specifically in Jamaica, and had no clue about Fleming's Jamaican connection. Like StevenH, I wrote down Hemingway just to have something, but I really wish I'd have stuck with my gut.
His house, "Goldeneye", is in Jamaica. Fleming was my first blush answer and I saw nothing to make me change it. I am fairly certain I had heard about the airport, but I knew plenty of the movies are in the Caribbean.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I've studied Spanish for years, lived in Madrid for a few months, and served as an interpreter for the New York Board of Elections...

I've never come across "tiempo" as meaning anything other than "weather" or "clime". Certainly not as an analogue to "time". (For example, "What time is it?" is "Que es la hora?" -- and no, I'm not going to try and find the upside down question mark.) If La Maquina de Tiempo is really the title of Wells' book in Spanish, that is new to me.

I've heard it before in a few contexts. I checked, and that's how my Spanish dictionary site translated it too. It also gave quite a few examples for "tiempo" meaning "time". A few are below.

in time -> con el tiempo (eventually)
in time for something/to do something -> a tiempo para algo/para hacer algo
in good time -> con tiempo (early)
now my time is my own -> ahora tengo todo el tiempo del mundo
it takes time -> lleva tiempo
time's up! -> ¡se acabó el tiempo!
time will tell -> el tiempo lo dirá
time is money (Prov) -> el tiempo es oro
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

jeff6286 wrote:Dang it, I actually considered Ian Fleming, but I had no idea if that would actually make sense or not. I know lots of the Bond films have scenes in the Caribbean, but I didn't know if he spent time specifically in Jamaica, and had no clue about Fleming's Jamaican connection. Like StevenH, I wrote down Hemingway just to have something, but I really wish I'd have stuck with my gut.

My situation exactly. :(
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Tiempo is most definitely time, though I think it's in more of a general wibbly-wobbly sense than a definite sense.

No clue on FJ!. Well done, dude with walrus-y mustache.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I've studied Spanish for years, lived in Madrid for a few months, and served as an interpreter for the New York Board of Elections...

There's a paragraph in this book I'm reading currently that talks about this, basically.
'Surfaces and Essences' by Hofstadter and Sander wrote:Thus, nothing seems more obvious to us anglophones than what time is. We know what time it is right now, we know how much time it will take to drive to the airport, and how many times we've done so before. These three ideas strike us as being very clearly all about just one central, monolithic, and hugely important concept: the concept known as "time" (in fact, the most frequent noun in the English language). And yet, most strangely, there are languages that don't see these three ideas as being about the same concept at all! If you're a francophone, you know what heure it is right now, you know how much temps it will take to drive to the airport, and how many fois you've done so before. They aren't the same word or even related words, and the three concepts labeled by the words "heure", "temps", and "fois" seem quite distant from each other for French speakers. As if this weren't bad enough, the French word "temps" doesn't denote only a certain subvariety of English's concept of time -- in addition, a good fraction of the time, it means "weather". Thus speakers of French, in their whimsical fashion, somehow manage to confuse the weather and the time! On the other hand, we speakers of English manage to mix up the hour of the day with the number of occasions on which something has happened! Which mistake is sillier?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I think the guy in the middle should've gotten a BMS on "clear" instead of an outright neg.
Nope. There is a Clear key on a calculator, so he shouldn't get a second chance. I'd've bet large sums of money that CE is Clear Entry, though.

I do think he should have been negged for "throwing or passing" -- "passing" doesn't fit Seaver.

Not so much as a guess on FJ. Couldn't think of anyone who set stories in Jamaica.
He also lived there: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/trave ... d=all&_r=0

Having read every Fleming novel when I was about 13, easy FJ.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Alex began Rani's interview with "you have done something that a lot of people would like to do...", and I immediately thought, "Yeah, she's won five games on Jeopardy! I'd sure like to do that!"
econgator wrote:Nope. There is a Clear key on a calculator, so he shouldn't get a second chance. I'd've bet large sums of money that CE is Clear Entry, though.
Clear Entry was my shout-at-the-TV moment for tonight. I've known that since I was a child.

I was shocked that we cleared the first board. Some of those Cinderella clues were too long. The first one was a convoluted way to ask for midnight. (And, no, I didn't get "convoluted" when it came up as a response.)

I always feel bad for a contestant who doesn't make it to FJ. Not sure why Janel went for "plasma particles" when she was clearly unsure about it and had only $200. At that point, she wasn't going to catch up, so I would think she would want to play it safe, stick around for FJ, and hope for the best.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: I think the guy in the middle should've gotten a BMS on "clear" instead of an outright neg.
No BMS per the (Northern) Ireland Rule.

Since they accepted 'cathode' as an alternate to terminal, would 'anode' also be acceptable?

FJ, instant. Knew 'Goldeneye' was Fleming's Jamaican home. Also Dr. No.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)