Think Different 172: General Knowledge

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Think Different 172: General Knowledge

Post by Sherm »

Hi, I’m your host for TD #172 – General Knowledge. My goal was to try and put together a quiz that gets to the essence of what I believe think different is all about. I’ve tried to place questions that most all of you should be able to give a couple correct answers. Followed by 8 to 15 answers that are uncertain (risk vs reward). I also wanted to make it as diverse as possible.

I apologize in advance for questions number 6, 9 and 15. I know many of you do not like lists that are essentially just peoples opinion, but in effort to get a good history, literature and general sports question, I could not come up with anything better. As a result of them being opinion questions, I have done all I can to help you get correct answers.

I hope these are questions that will evoke a lot of good conversation. I do think a couple of them are a little off of the main stream, things we rarely discuss even as daily jeopardy viewers. So, let’s make it the best TD ever, I assume we’ll have 60 or 70 participants (OK, I’m joking) or maybe a smaller group that is having some fun.

Good luck, and may the sheep avoid you.

Rules – Stolen from others previously

1. Please send me your answers by private message, but NOT ANYWHERE IN THIS THREAD!

2. The deadline for submission is 6 PM, Eastern time, on Friday, December 20. I will give the answers over five days. The first will come out the evening of the 20th, followed by answers coming out on the morning of all the follow days. Final results will come out the morning of Christmas Eve. The winner will receive a Christmas cookie from me (provided they send me a small self addressed box, preferably with an internal refrigeration unit). This cookie is really good and needs special handling.

3. The object, as you know, is to provide the least popular correct answer for each of the questions.
a. Your score on a question equals the number of people (including you) who gave your answer.
b. Incorrect answers receive the "sheep" score (highest score on that question) times 2.
c. Lowest final score wins (with total computed by adding your scores together)

4. There will be a bonus question on every third question. A correct answer is good for a one point deduction.

5. You may PASS one question by listing PASS instead of an answer. The PASS option gives you a score of zero points for that question.

6. You may also pick the SHEEP option for one question. For that question, you will automatically get the sheep score (but the SHEEP option won't count towards how many people said the real sheep answer). Also, if SHEEP and/or PASS is the most popular answer, the SHEEP score will still be the real sheep (i.e. the most popular real answer, not SHEEP or PASS).

7. Any person that goes the entire quiz, and does not use a PASS or SHEEP, will receive a final deduction at the end equal to the lowest value of a sheep answer over the course of the entire quiz. To get this bonus a correct answer must be given to all 15 questions (but not the bonus questions).

8. Answers must be provided out of the wealth of information that exists in your brain - no research! However, if you are lucky enough to stumble onto an answer between when you read the question and when you submit your answers, it is fully acceptable to use that.

9. The first tiebreaker will be the number of correct answers, followed by the score before the bonuses, then the number of singletons, then doubletons, then submission order.

10. If you have questions or comments, send them to me via private message unless you are sure that what you say will not reveal answers, offer hints, steer players away from negbait, or in any other way affect the outcome. If appropriate, I’ll post clarifications below the questions.
Sherm

Re: Think Different 172: General Knowledge

Post by Sherm »

Current Participants
ElendilPickle
Miwasatoshi
geolawyerman
gamawire
Magna
wallzy41
Vermonter
Rackme32
MarkBarrett
Leander
esrever
CyrusChan
PowerofHoodoo
Woppy T
Turd Ferguson
This Is Kirk!
Sillymonkey
econgator
jeffwolfe
tjconn728
milpool
dhkendall
waterloo_guy
Creed_Bratton
Woof
jkbrat
Bamaman

TD 172 – General Knowledge

1.) Name one of the colors in an original box of crayola crayons in 1903 (8 correct answers)

2.) According to the CIA world fact book, in 2011 twenty countries consumed an average of over 1,000,000 barrels of oil per day. Name one of those countries

3.) Primary U.S. Interstate Highways have either a one or two digit designation. Associated auxiliary highways (often called city bypass or beltway highways) have three digit numbers. Based on this definition, name a primary U.S. Interstate Highway that is 200 miles in length or shorter. (Example; Interstate 5, which runs from San Ysidro, California (Mexico) to Blaine, Washington (Canada) is an eligible answer for the question, except that it is incorrect due to its length) (23 correct answers)

Bonus #1 – Name the longest primary U.S. Interstate highway in the United States?

4.) Name a non active baseball player (a player that was not under MLB contract in 2013) that has hit 400 or more MLB home runs and is not enshrined at Cooperstown in the major league baseball hall of fame (19 correct answers)

5.) As sorted by % of recipes that use ingredients, according to allrecipes.com. Name one of the twelve most popular culinary herbs or spices (Salt is not considered a spice)

6.) In 1992, Michael Hart wrote a bestselling book on the 100 most influential people ever. He listed them from 1 through 100. Name a person that finished in the top 15 of that list. The following is a list of years that are generally accepted as the mid-point of the life of each in the top 15:

A. 353 BC
B. uncertain, between 520 to 440 BC
C. 1859
D. 85
E. 601
F. 1685
G. approx 15 AD
H. very uncertain, mostly likely around 1300-1400 BC
I. 36
J. 1431
K. 1603
L. uncertain approx 300 BC
M. 1478
N. 515 BC
O. 1917

Bonus #2 –Seven American citizens are on the top 100 list and are not in the top 15. They are George Washington, Wright Brothers, Tomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Jefferson, Henry Ford, and one final person. This person is one of the following name him. John F. Kennedy, Eli Whitney, Benjamin Franklin, Robert Goddard, Franklin D. Roosevelt

7.) Name one of the countries that the Danube River either flows through or borders. (10 correct answers)

8.) Name a person that held one of the following offices between January 1, 1980 and December 31, 1989. Prime Minister of Canada, General Secretary of the Communist party of the Soviet Union, President of Mexico (11 correct answers)

9.) In 2002 the Norwegian book club put together a list of the 100 best pieces of literature ever. The list was created by one hundred writers from fifty-four different countries. This list endeavored to reflect world literature, with books from all countries, cultures, and all time periods. Eleven names made the list with two or more entries. Name one. (See note at the bottom of the quiz)

Bonus #3 -The Norwegian book club did not rate the literature from 1 through 100. Essentially, this book or story made the list, and is in the top hundred. They did, however, say that one piece of literature was number one on the list and rated out ahead of everything else? What topped the list?

10.) Name an album that has spent at least 20 weeks at number one the billboard 200 (ranking of the top selling albums of the week). The following are the number of weeks and year each album spent at the top. Both movie soundtracks and studio albums appear in this list
A. (54 weeks) (1962–63)
B. (37 weeks) (1983–84)
C. (31 weeks) (1977–78)
D. (31 weeks) (1958–59)
E. (31 weeks) (1956–57)
F. (24 weeks) (2011–12)
G. (24 weeks) (1984–85)
H. (24 weeks) (1978)
I. (21 weeks) (1990)
J. (20 weeks) (1992–93)
K. (20 weeks) (1961–62)

11.) Name a chemical element that is named for a scientist. (14 correct answers)

12.) Name a Movie, from 1970 to present, that was nominated for an Oscar award in Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress and Best Screenplay? (17 correct answers)

Bonus #4 - Name the movie that won the most Oscars in a single year (8) that did not win best picture?

13.) Name one of the people to hold the title of Chief justice of the United States. (17 correct answers)

14. ) With the most recent jeopardy Tournament of Champions, Colby Burnett, Keith Whitener and Kristin Morgan all got to play 4 games of jeopardy after their original run on the show. Both Burnett and Whitener are going to get a chance to play in more games with the 30th anniversary tourney sometime this coming year. Name a person that has played at least 8 games of jeopardy after their original run of games on the show. (13 correct answers)

15.) In 2000, ESPN named the top 100 athletes of the 20th century. Name one of the top 15 athletes on the list. The following is a breakdown of the sports that they are primarily associated with
4 are known for baseball
2 are known for basketball
2 are known for boxing
2 are known for track and field
1 is known for football
1 is known for golf
1 is known for hockey
1 is known for both track & field and football
1 is known for both track & field and golf

Bonus #5 - There were 3 non-humans that made the top 100 list. Secretariat finished number 35. Name one of the other two non-humans on the list?

Note for number 9.
Do not name modern poets, short story or fairy tale writers. A couple of them made the list but the book club in many cases decided to list thier complete works when listing them as opposed to an individual story. The few who did make it for a single publication did not make it on for a second, and are incorrect answers.
The majority of the list is made up of novels from the 18th century to present. Most (but not all) of the works on the list prior to 1700 fit the description of epic poems, or plays. No factual or historical documents (Declaration of Independence, Magna Carte....) made the list. Authors such as Thomas Jefferson, John Locke or Thomas Paine do not appear.
Last edited by Sherm on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 18 times in total.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

On questions 6 and 10, do we need to match our responses up with a letter?
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

gamawire wrote:On questions 6 and 10, do we need to match our responses up with a letter?
No, the letters are there just to show an individual breakdown, in efforts to help you get to a correct response. Just give me what you believe is a correct answer.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I'll probably bump this once a day, if there are no comments that bump it. I've been sending those who are in a pm once I have the answers recorded. I have also placed their names on top of 2nd post in thread (TD 172 questions). If you send me answers, and you don't have a pm from me (along with your name in the second post within a day), then I likely did not get it.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Bump. Hey people, there are only two ways that you cannot win TD 172

1.) Don’t enter.

2.) If I’m dead before Christmas and cannot tally the results.

I know y’all intend to enter, so that leaves only number two. IDK, my wife has been watching a lot of Oxygen and Lifetime lately, so heres hoping she’s not getting any radical ideas. It’s concerning. :?
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

On Question 12, does the screenplay need to be original or is a nomination for adapted screenplay acceptable?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Regarding question number 12, the fifth award nomination can be for either original screenplay or adapted screenplay. Either one will yield a correct answer assuming the movie has also been nominated in the other four designations of the question.

Further clarification on question number 4. The player that has hit 400 or more home runs cannot being under MLB contract as a player in 2013. The player has to be considered retired as of the 2013 season. If the player is under MLB contract as a coach in 2013, he is still eligible as a correct answer to the question.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Bump, only 4 days left.

I'm not happy due to the lack of participants in TD 172, so I've decided that I will start to post bad Canadian jokes until more people start to Email their answers. Don't think I won't do it. Here's a sample:

"What did Curly Howard say when he met his first Canadian?" "Canuyk-Canuyk-Canuyk" :lol:

Think that's bad, I got many others that are far worse, so save yourself and your friends on this board from having to read such drivel. Email your answers today.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Sherm wrote:Bump, only 4 days left.

I'm not happy due to the lack of participants in TD 172, so I've decided that I will start to post bad Canadian jokes until more people start to Email their answers. Don't think I won't do it.
Vermonter's deadline for TD 171 is just one day before yours, so that may be why you're not getting too many - yet. I know when I've run one, I always got quite a few at the last (or after the last) minute. No more torture for now, please!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

For my recent Oklahoma TD, I got about a third of the entries in the final 24 hours. That seems about normal.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

gamawire, magna. I'm just having fun (even if it is self entertainment) while keeping the thread near the top of the board, but I appreciate the thoughts.

Based on pm's with RandyG prior to doing this, he told me to expect as many as half of the entrys in the last day or so if I did it over the course of a week instead of two, and I wanted to complete the results prior to Christmas. Also, there is another one slated to come out in three days.

Based on what I was told, I'm about right where I should be with entrys. Though I might have to have it out with Vermonter, placing TD 171 right up against mine, and not the other way around. ;)

Regardless, you have any idea how much fun it is trying to come up with bad Canadian jokes. :D
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sherm wrote: Regardless, you have any idea how much fun it is trying to come up with bad Canadian jokes. :D
As a Canadian who has done standup comedy poorly, I'd say I'm an expert on the subject. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Isn't "bad Canadian joke" redundant?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Paucle wrote:Isn't "bad Canadian joke" redundant?
Triply so.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Paucle wrote:Isn't "bad Canadian joke" redundant?
You have a point, but I would argue that you just made a good Canadian joke.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Sherm wrote:Based on what I was told, I'm about right where I should be with entrys. Though I might have to have it out with Vermonter, placing TD 171 right up against mine, and not the other way around. ;)
Sorry! ;)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Bump......

I don’t want to say that this is a big deal (most important thing ever), but it would be nice if I were able to get more entries into my TD than in TD 171 (world capitals suck). It seems as if Vermonter is a nice guy (heartless serial killer) and it’s not like I’m jealous (I don’t have a blog), but if I can’t get more people than him, then what does that say about me (loser). So, I don’t want to beg (please, Please, PLEASE!!!), and I know you don’t know me (your lucky), but your continued entries (wrong answers) in TD 172 would be appreciated. Thank you (not really)

Deadline is 6:00 pm eastern, Friday the 20th
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Sherm wrote:It seems as if Vermonter is a nice guy (heartless serial killer) ...
Sherm wrote:Bump. Hey people, there are only two ways that you cannot win TD 172

1.) Don’t enter.

2.) If I’m dead before Christmas and cannot tally the results.
Sherm inches his way closer to excuse #2 ... :twisted:
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Two more items that have popped up regarding this quiz.

Bonus question number 3. Every piece of literature on Norwegian book club list only has only one known author. The Bible, due to it having various writers, was not eligible to be on the list. Especially, in the last two days, a lot of you are choosing it as the correct answer, when it was never eligible. If you have submitted the Bible to Bonus #3, and wish to submit a new answer, I will be willing to accept your new answer.

Question 3. The interstate highway system in Hawaii starts with "H" rather than "I" and are not eligible answers.

Other items already mentioned on previous posts.

Question number 12, the fifth award nomination can be for either original screenplay or adapted screenplay. Either one will yield a correct answer assuming the movie has also been nominated in the other four designations of the question.

Question number 4. The player that has hit 400 or more home runs cannot being under MLB contract as a player in 2013. The player has to be considered retired as of the 2013 season. If the player is under MLB contract as a coach in 2013, he is still eligible as a correct answer to the question.